Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,174 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:50 AM

Searching The Scripture, Part 1: The Book Of Judges - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Searching The Scripture, Part 1: The Book Of Judges (437 Views)

Is There A Way To Prove God Exist Apart From The Scripture? / Did Judas Iscariot Betray Jesus Or Help Him Fulfill The Scripture? / Hating Christians Is Fulfilment Of The Scripture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Searching The Scripture, Part 1: The Book Of Judges by omoelerin1: 2:40pm On Dec 26, 2017
The book of Judges, which is believed, among the Bible students, to be written by prophet Samuel, describes the nation of Israel in the promised land of Canaan, starting from the period after the death of Joshua, the great leader and successor of Moses, Jews' foremost prophet, to the beginning of the kingship era.

Because of their failure to destroy all their enemies in Canaan and their disobedience to the commandments of Jehovah, by serving the heathen gods of the Canaanites, God allowed their enemies to gain power over them and punishing them . Whenever the returned to God, He was always faithful to His promises, and in His grace, He would sent them a Judge to deliver them and rule over them. However, each time the Judge died, the people would regressed to the worship of idols. This cycle characterizes much of the this book.

There are two significant basic truths about us and about God that we must take note in this book.

GRACE
The theme 'grace' is observed in this book. The victories of the people of Israel came not by human strength and ingenuity, but only through God's favour and grace. In this book, none of the characters that God used to deliver Israelites was qualified to accomplished the great feat attributed to each of them. None of them was a likely candidate for the leadership in that society.
Ehud was a left-handed, Deborah was a woman, Gideon was the youngest son in a poor family from the weakest tribe of Manasseh, Jephthah was an illegitimate child born by a prostitute, Samson was a Nazirite dedicated to live a simple religious life.
By choosing these 'misfits' of Israelite society, God demonstrated that we can only expect victories through His grace and not through human strength and wisdom.

This message is applicable to us as well. As children of God we should always remember that 'we can do all things in Christ who gives us strengths. Irrespective of your background, that your big dream and vision can be achieved, by leaning on God alone. Even if your environment seemed to be hostile, unfavorable and unencouraging, nothing can stop God from having his way in your life. Just yield yourself unto him, don't rely on your power, strength and wisdom. I say trust Him, he is ready to use you for great things.

Zechariah 4:6 'Then he answered and spake unto me, saying, This is the word of the Lord unto Zerubbabel, saying, Not by might, nor power, but by my spirit saith the Lord of hosts'.
II Corinthians 12:10 ' That is why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, in the insults, hardships, persecutions and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong'.

GOD FEARING LEADERS

No one will read this book that will not shock by the extensiveness of sin among the people of God. Aside from the idolatry that repeatedly occurred, the book describes other gross sins within the people of God: genocide, mass murder, child sacrifice, prostitution, theft, gang rape and homosexuality.
The reason for this deplorable condition was as a result of "in those days, there was no king in Israel, everyone did what seemed right in his own sight". This statement was made at three different places in this book.

As long as Israel had godly leaders like Moses, Joshua and Judges, the people obeyed God's laws, however, they returned to their idolatry after the demise of the leader.

Today, godly and courageous people are necessary as leaders in the church.
Our nation as well, needs godfearing, selfless, disciplined and strong leaders, if want our numerous political, economic and social challenges surmounted.

I Peter 5:1-3 'The elders which are among you I exhort-----------
verse 2 ' Take care of the flock of God which is among you, taking the oversight thereof, not for what you will get out of it, but because you are eager to serve God'.
verse 3 ' Don't lord it over the people assigned to your care, but lead them by your own good example'.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Will Humans Have Equal Right In Heaven? / Photos: Mad Man Healed During A Service In A Rccg Church / Open Heavens Daily Devotional 31/03/18

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.