Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,188 members, 7,829,252 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 10:46 PM

The Real Reason Footballers Cover Their Mouths On The Field - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The Real Reason Footballers Cover Their Mouths On The Field (2386 Views)

The Real Reason Why Footballers Cover Their Mouths When Speaking (explained) / Mansur Calar Uses Razor Blade To Attack Ferhat Yazgan, Haci Dogru On The Field / Sergio Ramos Was Seen Smiling As Mohamed Salah Left The Field (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Real Reason Footballers Cover Their Mouths On The Field by Jidefido(m): 4:56am On Dec 27, 2017
[img][/img]
It is a common sight to see footballers these days covering their mouths while talking to teammates, managers, opposition players and even the referees.

The general belief is that the players cover their mouths to minimize the risk of being caught revealing vital information or tactics to the opposing team or worse still, using vulgar, uncouth statements on the field of play.

But in truth, the real reason they speak to each other that was has nothing to do with secrecy – it is all down to making sure they are being heard.

According to a renowned PR consultant Phil Hall, who has worked with some of the biggest clubs and names in the Premier League, says no-one is being advised to cover up to protect vital team plans.

Hall said: “A player once told me one of the main reasons they do it is, sometimes you are doing it when you are close to somebody, it amplifies your voice so they can hear you.

“There is a lot of noise around them in a stadium and on the pitch, they need to amplify the voice.

“In a loud ground, when you speak normally the sound is being spread out.

“It’s like a foghorn, if you put your hand over your mouth and point it to the person you are talking to it is much clearer.”

Hall has worked closely with Manchester City, West Ham and Crystal Palace in recent years, as well as advising other high profile managers and players.

And though TV stations have looked into lip reading managers and players in other countries, he says it is not common in the UK.

He added: “It started in South America where a couple of TV stations hired guests to start reading what was being said on the benches and what was being said by the players.

“They employed lip readers and various methods to find out what was being said tactically by the bench to the players.

“But the players themselves over here, I think are just aping what they see on the continent. I don’t think over here they are being actively advised to cover up.

“I have certainly not seen any evidence of lip reading over here, at any of the clubs I have done work with.

“When Roy Hodgson went to the World Cup, a lip reader announced she was going to interpret everything he was saying on the bench and publish it on a blog – so you can see why they are getting more and more cautious.

“But I don’t think they have been briefed.

“I have not heard anybody saying anything about anybody being lip-read. I’ve never been asked to advise on anything like that.

“In NFL there is a whole pattern of tactics and play calls that can be read by a lip reader, but in football the game is just not that structured where it could potentially make a difference.”

http://www.thesportsbay.com/the-real-reason-footballers-cover-their-mouths-on-the-field/

Re: The Real Reason Footballers Cover Their Mouths On The Field by noblealuu: 5:03am On Dec 27, 2017
I don't even know what to comment... cool
Re: The Real Reason Footballers Cover Their Mouths On The Field by saintkeppy(m): 6:16am On Dec 27, 2017
I feel say their mouth dey smell na hin mek dem dey cover mouth.

3 Likes

Re: The Real Reason Footballers Cover Their Mouths On The Field by iHart(m): 6:27am On Dec 27, 2017
I think its because they have mouth odour. lol
Re: The Real Reason Footballers Cover Their Mouths On The Field by duduade: 6:29am On Dec 27, 2017
I thought they wanted to avoid transferring club virus
Re: The Real Reason Footballers Cover Their Mouths On The Field by BolaAdeyemo: 8:32am On Dec 27, 2017
noblealuu:
I don't even know what to comment... cool
just type "End time things" and move on
Re: The Real Reason Footballers Cover Their Mouths On The Field by Exjoker(m): 11:07am On Dec 27, 2017
BolaAdeyemo:
just type "End time things" and move on
End time things and I moved on

3 Likes

Re: The Real Reason Footballers Cover Their Mouths On The Field by BolaAdeyemo: 11:49am On Dec 27, 2017
Exjoker:
Good

1 Like

Re: The Real Reason Footballers Cover Their Mouths On The Field by Finstar: 1:04pm On Dec 27, 2017
Exjoker:

Re: The Real Reason Footballers Cover Their Mouths On The Field by Amadaz(m): 6:06pm On Dec 27, 2017
saintkeppy:
I feel say their mouth dey smell na hin mek dem dey cover mouth.
grin grin grin
Re: The Real Reason Footballers Cover Their Mouths On The Field by earthsync(f): 11:40am On Dec 28, 2017
maybe they don't want those watching to know what they're talking about cause we've got professional lip readers? undecided

(1) (Reply)

World Cup 2018: Lady Caught Giving Her Man Handjob In The Stadium / From Cold War To Cold Floor: President Putin Pushed To The Floor During A Game. / Asamoah Gyan's Wife Sets The Internet Buzzing With New Photo...wow

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.