Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,578 members, 7,812,878 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:12 PM

Oil Price Inches Towards $70, 44% Above Benchmark - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Oil Price Inches Towards $70, 44% Above Benchmark (9503 Views)

CBN Raises Benchmark MPR By 200 Basis Points To 24.75% / Naira Inches Towards 1000 Naira To A Dollar / Nigeria’s Inflation Rises To 11.44% In December 2018—NBS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oil Price Inches Towards $70, 44% Above Benchmark by Johnrake69: 10:26am On Dec 28, 2017
9jakohai:

1.GSM was deregulated from the word go....no price controls, nothing....and we went from N7000 Sim to N500 sim...because the GSM companies were allowed to make their profits freely....which freed them to pour in more money freely....

2.Subsidy itself costs a lot of money tpo sustain.

3.Oil subsidy is not sustainable....it does not let marketers and oil companies make enough profit to break even. That is why many workers in fuel stations across Nigeria get poor salaries.,....and why we don't have more investment in things like refineries as well....and why saboteurs divert fuel to other countries...which can be sold for a profit.

See the pictogram below...made when pms was at N87....and you will get it better.

Well can't keep making these comparison. Telephone is not PMS as the day goes by people come up with cheaper technology hence, the crash in the price of telephone and accessories. Till date there are villages who don't own phones. Nigerian economy is powered by PMS. Price increase instantly has a multiplier effect.
If truly deregulation works in all industries why are Nigerians buying cement at almost double the price in the international market?

Firstly, Nigerians are already poorly paid, among the oil producing nations, Nigerians are the least paid if am not mistaken. Because it's key to our economy total deregulation will be anti masses.

The Nigerian Government must be responsible. Nnpc must be transparent and accountable. Saudi Aramco like our Nnpc is the most valuable company in the whole of Asia with a value of $2 trillion and it's 100% government owned. We can't leave everything in the hands of the private individuals that care about nothing buh profit. Pure capitalist system has already made few people rich while multitudes are in penury.

1 Like

Re: Oil Price Inches Towards $70, 44% Above Benchmark by onegig(m): 10:37am On Dec 28, 2017
Bede2u:
This topic should be screen grabbed. We shall use it to bury APC and Buhar in 2019 when that start complaining that low oil prices made them not to perform. They claim oil sold above $100 during GEJ regime, but they never say for how long it remained at that
Yeah Screen grabbed them the same way oil was @ $70-80/barrel as at 2014 and Okonjo was complaining bitterly about the FG not being able to pay salaries and needing external borrowing to fulfill such obligations while year on year inflation was just 8.4 per cent in comparison to now that inflation is almost 17%?

No one needs a brain surgeon to tell us how inept and cancerous GEJ was to the growth of the nation. All it takes is commonsense and facts.

Even as at $86/barrel in 2014 Okonjo was planning on sacking Federal workers.

https://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2014/10/27/fg-may-sack-workers-says-okonjo-iweala/

1 Like

Re: Oil Price Inches Towards $70, 44% Above Benchmark by macaphan007(m): 11:39am On Dec 28, 2017
GavelSlam:

Government did not support Dangote before he put his money where his mouth is.

After aqcuisition of land, collaboration with banks and producers, only then government can assist, by providing tax and tarrif breaks in addition to discounts on forex.

Until these parameters are met government would only withold the limited funds crying for various alternative uses.
Do you have an idea of how long it takes to get a license for a refinery and also a license to build a refinery? why should a special forex window be opened for one individual when you have about 13 other individuals or firms that have met the required parameters to build and operate a refinery in Nigeria,I don't have any issue with Dangote,but an Economy cannot grow when one person is encouraged to monopolise most sectors,Govt has always assisted Dangote that is a fact,if more people are given the same assistance I believe the country will do better than just it celebrating mediocre.
Re: Oil Price Inches Towards $70, 44% Above Benchmark by GavelSlam: 12:08pm On Dec 28, 2017
macaphan007:
Do you have an idea of how long it takes to get a license for a refinery and also a license to build a refinery? why should a special forex window be opened for one individual when you have about 13 other individuals or firms that have met the required parameters to build and operate a refinery in Nigeria,I don't have any issue with Dangote,but an Economy cannot grow when one person is encouraged to monopolise most sectors,Govt has always assisted Dangote that is a fact,if more people are given the same assistance I believe the country will do better than just it celebrating mediocre.

In this case, he is undertaking a project national economic importance.

The project if completed would absorb and prevent the shock and hardship we witnessed this Yuletide season.

Talking about the other firms, have they complained to you about not being able to access rebates?

For you to enjoy such facilities there are milestones to surpass. Not just getting licences then sit on your bum.

Lastly, Dangote much as I hate to admit it, runs a conglomerate of businesses that employ across the entire continent. Hardly mediocre if you asked me.
Re: Oil Price Inches Towards $70, 44% Above Benchmark by henrysam(m): 12:37pm On Dec 28, 2017
That is more money on ECA to lavish on Boko Haram
Re: Oil Price Inches Towards $70, 44% Above Benchmark by macaphan007(m): 1:14pm On Dec 28, 2017
GavelSlam:

In this case, he is undertaking a project national economic importance.

The project if completed would absorb and prevent the shock and hardship we witnessed this Yuletide season.

Talking about the other firms, have they complained to you about not being able to access rebates?

For you to enjoy such facilities there are milestones to surpass. Not just getting licences then sit on your bum.

Lastly, Dangote much as I hate to admit it, runs a conglomerate of businesses that employ across the entire continent. Hardly mediocre if you asked me.
its obvious you still don't know the inner workings of what it takes to set up of a refinery in Nigeria,licenses were given to about 18 firms in 2002 then after 13 of the met the required parameters which includes a feasibility report and EIA report to mention a few these 13 firms were given the license to build the remaining 5 were denied because they weren't to meet the criteria, now Dangote got his license during GEJ's era and the Govt supported just the same way Govt supported him during Obj's tenure it was only during Yar'adua's that he wasn't allowed access to the presidency,Dangote won't survive the Nigerian business climate if he wasn't treated with preference,my argument is give the same opportunities to other firms just the way its been given to Dangote and allow others flourish, a country cannot grow economically when there's no level playing ground for competitors,we celebrate mediocre in this country a lot that's why we are where we are today,why would the CBN create a special forex window for one man?is he the only business man in the country?I don't have any issues with him but I feel the country can do better than just allowing one man monopolise the economy,even Dangote refinery when complete will do more of export than settle local consumption that's what people don't know.
Re: Oil Price Inches Towards $70, 44% Above Benchmark by GavelSlam: 1:22pm On Dec 28, 2017
macaphan007:
its obvious you still don't know the inner workings of what it takes to set up of a refinery in Nigeria,licenses were given to about 18 firms in 2002 then after 13 of the met the required parameters which includes a feasibility report and EIA report to mention a few these 13 firms were given the license to build the remaining 5 were denied because they weren't to meet the criteria, now Dangote got his license during GEJ's era and the Govt supported just the same way Govt supported him during Obj's tenure it was only during Yar'adua's that he wasn't allowed access to the presidency,Dangote won't survive the Nigerian business climate if he wasn't treated with preference,my argument is give the same opportunities to other firms just the way its been given to Dangote and allow others flourish, a country cannot grow economically when there's no level playing ground for competitors,we celebrate mediocre in this country a lot that's why we are where we are today,why would the CBN create a special forex window for one man?is he the only business man in the country?I don't have any issues with him but I feel the country can do better than just allowing one man monopolise the economy,even Dangote refinery when complete will do more of export than settle local consumption that's what people don't know.

But petrolex also are undertaking refinery construction.

Dangote is not the only player embarking on a refinery project at the moment.

In addition, it is Dangote group not Dangote individual.

Did you sight any document about Dangote' s refinery being for export or are you pulling stuff out of your bum?

1 Like

Re: Oil Price Inches Towards $70, 44% Above Benchmark by GavelSlam: 1:25pm On Dec 28, 2017
henrysam:
That is more money on ECA to lavish on Boko Haram

Can you not say this government has done a better job than the last in tackling boko haram?

Are we witnessing their actions as frequent as we did in 2013?

Are they making avenues into the FCT?

Have some girls not been brought back?

Give credit to whom credit is due .
Re: Oil Price Inches Towards $70, 44% Above Benchmark by Nobody: 1:41pm On Dec 28, 2017
smiley
Re: Oil Price Inches Towards $70, 44% Above Benchmark by macaphan007(m): 3:00pm On Dec 28, 2017
GavelSlam:

But petrolex also are undertaking refinery construction.

Dangote is not the only player embarking on a refinery project at the moment.

In addition, it is Dangote group not Dangote individual.

Did you sight any document about Dangote' s refinery being for export or are you pulling stuff out of your bum?

Petrolex refinery is of what capacity? out of 13 and I don't have to answer your question about Dangote focusing more on export cause its obvious you are oblivious of what it takes to set up a refinery,when I asked you about the procedure you couldn't answer,instead just like a typical Nigeria resorted to throwing tantrums.
I speak because I know what is involved cause am fortunate to be with the system, I don't need to convince you on anything.
whether it is Dangote group or Dangote as an Individual the fact remains that he is been favoured more than others.
Erisco left Nigeria when the govt couldn't provide special forex window for his tomatoe paste producing plant,What about the likes of Ibeto and BUA these are also tested business men with success in their fields.
The problem with people like you is that because you think you are educated it means you're enlightened, but the two are different.
Getting a refinery License in Nigeria alone requires a lot of money and serious lobbying, getting an approval for you to get a license to build requires you spending a lot of money on feasibility reports and Environmental Impact Assessment report all these things will cost millions.
I want to be as civil as possible on this platform that's why I rarely comment cos most people just like to shadow box.
Re: Oil Price Inches Towards $70, 44% Above Benchmark by GavelSlam: 3:20pm On Dec 28, 2017
macaphan007:
Petrolex refinery is of what capacity? out of 13 and I don't have to answer your question about Dangote focusing more on export cause its obvious you are oblivious of what it takes to set up a refinery,when I asked you about the procedure you couldn't answer,instead just like a typical Nigeria resorted to throwing tantrums.
I speak because I know what is involved cause am fortunate to be with the system, I don't need to convince you on anything.
whether it is Dangote group or Dangote as an Individual the fact remains that he is been favoured more than others.
Erisco left Nigeria when the govt couldn't provide special forex window for his tomatoe paste producing plant,What about the likes of Ibeto and BUA these are also tested business men with success in their fields.
The problem with people like you is that because you think you are educated it means you're enlightened, but the two are different.
Getting a refinery License in Nigeria alone requires a lot of money and serious lobbying, getting an approval for you to get a license to build requires you spending a lot of money on feasibility reports and Environmental Impact Assessment report all these things will cost millions.
I want to be as civil as possible on this platform that's why I rarely comment cos most people just like to shadow box.

What does the capacity of Petrolex have to do with anything?

The fact remains they are on course to getting their refinery going. Which poopoos your talk of a Dangote monopoly.

By the way, petrolex plans to do 250K barrels daily.

Dangote is 650k.

There are various brands of tinned tomatoes in Nigeria.

What brand of tinned tomato was Erisco selling that was never at our local stalls?

Even in the US manufacturers close shop when they cannot compete .

Erisco was never in competition.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Superior Paints / The Benefit Of Applying For Email Marketing Course / Which Newspaper Do Nigerians Read Most?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.