Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,846 members, 7,810,260 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:20 AM

Jonathan Moves To Save Yar'Adua - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Moves To Save Yar'Adua (1393 Views)

Jonathan Moves Property From Aso Rock, Plans Global Shuttle,to Write Book / Jonathan Moves To Save Al-makura, Meets Nasarawa Lawmakers / Jonathan Moves To Reduce Parastatals, Agencies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Moves To Save Yar'Adua by Beaf: 9:29am On Apr 06, 2010
[size=14pt]Jonathan Moves to Save Yar'Adua[/size]
Daniel Idonor
6 April 2010

Abuja — THERE were strong indications that despite the fury caused by the controversial meeting between the ailing President Umaru Yar'Adua and some Islamic clerics, Acting President Goodluck Jonathan who is yet to see Yar'Adua, has no plan to disgrace Yar'Adua from office.

Vanguard can authoritatively reveal that the meeting which allegedly held, Thursday, was interpreted as spiteful on the Acting President. Facts emerged, yesterday, that there was pressure on Jonathan to speedily constitute the cabinet to pass a resolution that President Yar'Adua was incapacitated. Such a resolution would, expectedly, ignite the process of Yar'Adua's removal from office by the National Assembly.

But rather than succumb to the pressure, said to be coming from politicians of Northern extraction, it was gathered that Jonathan has begun moves aimed at saving Yar'Adua from the public embarrassment of impeachment.

Further treatment for Yar'Adua
One of such moves, Vanguard was told, is for Jonathan to persuade the first family to allow the ailing President undertake further medical treatment abroad; as Jonathan might have actually approved the treatment of President Yar'Adua in yet to be named country.

Vanguard was told by a returning minister that contrary to report of a possible impeachment moves against the ailing President; Jonathan was not working to undermine President Yar'Adua in any way.

The source which preferred anonymity, said the so-called cabal which wanted Yar'Adua to remain in office despite his ill-health, was largely misunderstood over its position, which was for a soft landing for Yar'Adua that will allow him time to recover and then resign honourably.

The source said: "There was no time that Jonathan wanted Yar'Adua impeached or removed from office, ignominiously. No. The Acting President had always insisted that President Yar'Adua must not be disgraced and that was also our position.

"So many Nigerians did not know what was going on. They felt that some of us were just there insisting that Yar'Adua must remain as President despite his state of health. Nobody ever clamoured for that position. What we said was that the man has not done anything to deserve being disgraced and I think that was fair enough on our part."

The minister-designate said it was very disturbing when many people believed the rumours that some close associates of Yar'Adua were working against the interests of the whole country by insisting that the ailing president must remain in power.

He noted: "What we did was to say no you can't just push the man aside, rather let's look for a soft landing for him, but so many people felt we wanted the man to remain in power despite his ill health. We know that the man is sick and we never wanted him to remain there just like that.

"What we were trying to do before the cabinet was dissolved was to agree on where the man would go to receive proper treatment and when he gets a little better he can resign. That was the premise we were working on before the cabinet was sacked.
"

http://allafrica.com/stories/printable/201004060083.html
Re: Jonathan Moves To Save Yar'Adua by Beaf: 9:35am On Apr 06, 2010
I believe this must be the last length of rope given to Turai. If she doesn't accept, it must be gloves off!
Jonathan has displayed immense maturity and steadfastness in in the face of the cabals antics.
Re: Jonathan Moves To Save Yar'Adua by safeact(m): 9:57am On Apr 06, 2010
Good comment.
Re: Jonathan Moves To Save Yar'Adua by marvix(m): 10:18am On Apr 06, 2010
Thats what Im talking about. Goodluck Wisdom Jonathan for 2011
Re: Jonathan Moves To Save Yar'Adua by Beaf: 10:28am On Apr 06, 2010
marvix:

Thats what Im talking about. Goodluck Wisdom Jonathan for 2011

Jonathan has displayed very admirable leadership qualities in the face of immense difficulties. If he runs in 2011, I'll be ready to pitch in more than just my vote.
Re: Jonathan Moves To Save Yar'Adua by marvix(m): 10:34am On Apr 06, 2010
Beaf:

Jonathan has displayed very admirable leadership qualities in the face of immense difficulties. If he runs in 2011, I'll be ready to pitch in more than just my vote.

Way to go Beaf, maybe we can start the YES-Goodluck 4 2011, that is Youth Earnestly Seek- Goodluck Jonathan 4 2011, YES we can!!!!
Re: Jonathan Moves To Save Yar'Adua by SkyBlue1: 10:36am On Apr 06, 2010
Beaf:

WOW. And this persuasion was sucessful without Johnathan achieving anything concrete yet, or you seeing what other possible candidates there are? ?
Re: Jonathan Moves To Save Yar'Adua by Nobody: 10:39am On Apr 06, 2010
I am personally for Jonathan 2011.

His humility has not been found in Nigeria politics for decades. All we have had are arrogant, clueless individuals that have almost steered the ship of the nation into disaster.

He is very calculated, cool headed, precise and ruthless when he needs to be.

JONATHAN FOR PRESIDENT 2011

If the PDP do not agree a new party should be formed, something along the lines of   THE PEOPLE'S PARTY OF NIGERIA , TPPN.

I will be coming to campaign for him if he stands for election   grin
Re: Jonathan Moves To Save Yar'Adua by Nobody: 10:40am On Apr 06, 2010
Beaf:

i dont see jonathan contesting in 2011 and you know the factors involve.
Re: Jonathan Moves To Save Yar'Adua by bibiking1(m): 10:57am On Apr 06, 2010
too many political parlance for one to truly understand the genuine intentions of their actions!
Re: Jonathan Moves To Save Yar'Adua by KnowAll(m): 11:33am On Apr 06, 2010
Why re-invent the wheel when there is already a wheel in progress, I was wathcing that Isola Balogun campaign on u tube including the Q and A session what he plans to do is basically what Jonathan is already trumpeting. The North should realise that the illness of Yaradua is not Jonathan's making, since they ran on the same ticket, he should be allowed to complete the race.
Re: Jonathan Moves To Save Yar'Adua by Pk001(m): 12:08pm On Apr 06, 2010
From all indications, Yaradua is dying.
Jonathan is acting maturely, by not allowing a dying man to be killed before his time.
The first family should understand this quickly and do the right thing, instead of act selfishly and killing their own.
Re: Jonathan Moves To Save Yar'Adua by otokx(m): 12:13pm On Apr 06, 2010
Story, story.
Re: Jonathan Moves To Save Yar'Adua by DeepSoul(f): 1:00pm On Apr 06, 2010
The evil cabal have realised that there is no more hope for Yar Adua and are now clingling to the silly excuse of "wanting a soft landing for him", thereby remaining in the good books of Yar Adua and Jonathan. Bloody idiots.

Soft landing ko, mouka foam landing ni
Re: Jonathan Moves To Save Yar'Adua by nduchucks: 1:27pm On Apr 06, 2010
There is nothing special about Jonathan's gestures. All the people, including the leadership of the NASS,  who knew the true nature of Yar'Adua's ailments never had any intentions of disgracing him from office through impeachment, otherwise impeachment proceedings would have been instituted long ago.

It suffices to say that GJ will not be the PDP candidate in 2011 because of the unwritten agreement of power sharing. Anyone who believes that the agreement will be revoked to allow GJ to run in 2011 is delusional  The best we can hope for is the postponement of the elections to 2012 or even early 2013, to allow time for proper electoral reforms and needed constitutional reforms to take place.

In the maintime, one would expect Yar'Adua to be taken to the USA for further treatment given the cozy relationship we now have with the US government.
Re: Jonathan Moves To Save Yar'Adua by Beaf: 1:29pm On Apr 06, 2010
ndu_chucks:

There is nothing special about Jonathan's gestures. All the people, including the leadership of the NASS,  who knew the true nature of Yar'Adua's ailments never had any intentions of disgracing him from office through impeachment, otherwise impeachment proceedings would have been instituted long ago.

It suffices to say that GJ will not be the PDP candidate in 2011 because of the unwritten agreement of power sharing. Anyone who believes that the agreement will be revoked to allow GJ to run in 2011 is delusional  The best we can hope for is the postponement of the elections to 2012 or even early 2013, to allow time for proper electoral reforms and needed constitutional reforms to take place.

In the maintime, one would expect Yar'Adua to be taken to the USA for further treatment given the cozy relationship we now have with the US government.

PDP will not see 2011 in its present shape, if at all. cool
As for the postponement of elections, I mentioned it long ago that 2011 is not possible, mostly because the country is too unstable right now.
Re: Jonathan Moves To Save Yar'Adua by Sunofgod(m): 1:40pm On Apr 06, 2010
Jonathan needs to get firm!

These jestures may be taken as a sign of weakness.

Unfortunately that how I'm starting to feel about Jonathan. He's loosing the battle with the Cabal and the Media.

He needs to get the right people on side and then come down hard on Yar'Adua/the Cabal/Shady Politicians.

I think his wife's name may be an influencing factor - How much Patience does Jonathan have?
Re: Jonathan Moves To Save Yar'Adua by SkyBlue1: 1:54pm On Apr 06, 2010
Sun of god:

Unfortunately that how I'm starting to feel about Jonathan. He's loosing the battle with the Cabal and the Media.

He needs to get the right people on side and then come down hard on Yar'Adua/the Cabal/Shady Politicians.

I think his wife's name may be an influencing factor - How much Patience does Jonathan have?

LOOOL. I like that  smiley

On a more serious note, Goodluck is acting president not Patience, so no need to even look at that side of things. As far as I am concerned the buck stops with him, if he allows himself to be influenced by Joy or Peace sef that one is his business.
Re: Jonathan Moves To Save Yar'Adua by Beaf: 1:55pm On Apr 06, 2010
Sun of god:

Calm down. The dude has his own quiet way of operating. E.g. Ministers were due to be sworn in at 12.00pm today, but still we don't know their positions; Jonathan is well coded.
Re: Jonathan Moves To Save Yar'Adua by Fhemmmy: 1:58pm On Apr 06, 2010
Good to have a good Vice . . . . . grin
Re: Jonathan Moves To Save Yar'Adua by Sunofgod(m): 1:58pm On Apr 06, 2010
If he waits too long these 'Bad' people will derail his plans - he needs to act fast.

Before the opportunity to do the right thing passes,
Re: Jonathan Moves To Save Yar'Adua by SkyBlue1: 2:01pm On Apr 06, 2010
Sun of god:

If he waits too long these 'bad' people will derail his plans - he needs to act fast.

Before the opportunity to do thr right thing passes,

@That has always been my qualms in the whole matter; I don't know if he realises he has about a year and not four. This really is a golden opportunity to get things right and it would be a real shame if such is compromised because of something as silly as eyeing 2011 elections. A bird in hand is worth two in the bush, do something with what you have right now.
Re: Jonathan Moves To Save Yar'Adua by Beaf: 2:06pm On Apr 06, 2010
^
With the swearing in today, he will finally have the momentum he needs to move with giant strides (like you, I hope he uses it). There is little point in him wasting his energy fighting "I saw Yar Adua" wars with Turai et al.
Re: Jonathan Moves To Save Yar'Adua by Sunofgod(m): 2:15pm On Apr 06, 2010
Again its my personal opinion that:

'Ribadu' would be a good acquisition to Jonathan's team.

If he can dispatch the guy in the direction of the Cabal / Non compliant Governors / Shady Politicians etc

He shouldn't get bogged down in certain matters - He needs the time to focus on Nigeria.

As for elections in 2011 - I dont think its wise Jonathan allows that to happen. Nigeria is not ready or stable.

If anything he should take steps to render Yar'Adua's tenure null and void - and delay election for up to 2 years.

In that time he can initiate the necessary reforms.
Re: Jonathan Moves To Save Yar'Adua by marvix(m): 2:39pm On Apr 06, 2010
Jonathan has shown time without number that he has everything under control. You only make noise when u are not sure of what is happening, with all the I saw Yaradua talk no one has said Yaradua is strong enuf to resume, they all hope that soon he will be able to resume. Soon could be as short as 3days or as long as 2yrs so why should Jonathan be worried, Head or Tail Jonathan shld emerge winner.

The PDP is capable of giving Jonathan the presidential ticket come 2011, there should be no talk of postponing the elections, that is likely to create more problem than it intends to solve, I pray for Nigeria or whatelse can I do cos I have decided never to weep for Nigeria and this is because whatever happens God has a purpose.
Re: Jonathan Moves To Save Yar'Adua by chidichris(m): 2:40pm On Apr 06, 2010
I believe this must be the last length of rope given to Turai. If she doesn't accept, it must be gloves off!
Jonathan has displayed immense maturity and steadfastness in in the face of the cabals antics.

@beaf,
lies! lies!! lies!!!. both goodluck and jonathan are less than men of their own. they are both the dream replacement of obasanjo. i am talking about the kind of man obasanjo would love to live behind in aso rock. the country has constitution for God's sake. what is maturity in overlooking the contents of the constitution of federal republic of nigeria?
biblically, it is written, from the days of john the baptist, the kingdom of God suffereth violence and it is only the violent that taketh it be force.
the issue of obasanjo and his one man show in the governance of nigeria has gone far beyond maturity.
in jonathan and goodluck, obsanjo saw a very loyal embecile who will always dance to his tones.
as the days go by, history continues its record on the number of days the goodluck of a jonathan has been in office and the big question at the end of the day will be, in ur few days in office as whatever, what were ur acheivements.
many of us will answer to that by telling me that rome was not built in a day but no one is telling us how long it took to build rome since we all know rome was built.
as long as it is a pdp under the leadership and loyality of obasanjo, i have no confidence.
the much this jonathan is doing is a recovery project of all the self-exciled obasanjo boys. soon it will become a free for all loyalists jamboree but i am well convienced that it is not going to be a smooth ride as usual.
i am foreseeing the end of ribadu in this his second coming.
Re: Jonathan Moves To Save Yar'Adua by Sunofgod(m): 2:46pm On Apr 06, 2010
OBJ, IBB,

If Jonathan is meerly a Puppet, who's the Chief Puppeteer?

Surely Jonathan is now strong enough to declare himself top dog?
Re: Jonathan Moves To Save Yar'Adua by violent(m): 3:19pm On Apr 06, 2010
From all indications, Joey boy has shown himself to be capable of authority.

As opposed to what many think, the dude is not influenced by Obasanjo or IBB, if you really think this is the case, pray tell why you think so?

So far, the dude has implemented changes authoritatively without much party influence, such as in the case when the ministers were sacked.

For as many that expect him to just jump ahead and implement changes, i'd say you are wrong to think that such methods are the best procedures in Nigeria. Many are not happy with his emergence as the acting president, and it is only logical to believe that some of these godfathers are willing to give him a rope to hang himself, it is therefore necessary for him to take careful and calculative steps.

Being slow to act is not foolishness, it only means you are considering a million things others aren't.

Atta Joey Boy!
Re: Jonathan Moves To Save Yar'Adua by Beaf: 4:51pm On Apr 06, 2010
chidichris:

@beaf,
lies! lies!! lies!!!. both goodluck and jonathan are less than men of their own. they are both the dream replacement of obasanjo. i am talking about the kind of man obasanjo would love to live behind in aso rock. the country has constitution for God's sake. what is maturity in overlooking the contents of the constitution of federal republic of nigeria?
biblically, it is written, from the days of john the baptist, the kingdom of God suffereth violence and it is only the violent that taketh it be force.
the issue of obasanjo and his one man show in the governance of nigeria has gone far beyond maturity.
in jonathan and goodluck, obsanjo saw a very loyal embecile who will always dance to his tones.
as the days go by, history continues its record on the number of days the goodluck of a jonathan has been in office and the big question at the end of the day will be, in your few days in office as whatever, what were your acheivements.
many of us will answer to that by telling me that rome was not built in a day but no one is telling us how long it took to build rome since we all know rome was built.
as long as it is a pdp under the leadership and loyality of obasanjo, i have no confidence.
the much this jonathan is doing is a recovery project of all the self-exciled obasanjo boys. soon it will become a free for all loyalists jamboree but i am well convienced that it is not going to be a smooth ride as usual.
i am foreseeing the end of ribadu in this his second coming.

Lets calm down and see. He has just sworn in his own cabinet today, so work begins now. Everyone is witness to the fact that the poor man has been wrestling with demons, winshes and other principalities. So far he has always qiuetly and assuredly come tops.

Lets wait and see, I am beginning to believe that for the first time we have someone who will put the country on the right footing. Whereas Yar'Adua spent his time dodging UN meetings, Jonathan has impressed internationally in a very short space of time. Most Nigerians do not realise have far we have come in a very short space of time (from when elements of the army dared him to sit in the Presidents chair after smuggling in Yar'Adua in the dead of night). There were even strong rumours in the heat of the cabals war against Nigerians that the US was a hairs breadth away from stepping in militarily (they have denied it), the World was very worried about an unstable Nigeria, but Jonathan has come in, is arranging things quietly and surely and calming the place down like ice water. That dude is good.
Re: Jonathan Moves To Save Yar'Adua by Fhemmmy: 4:59pm On Apr 06, 2010
Beaf:

Lets calm down and see. He has just sworn in his own cabinet today, so work begins now. Everyone is witness to the fact that the poor man has been wrestling with demons, winshes and other principalities. So far he has always qiuetly and assuredly come tops.

Lets wait and see, I am beginning to believe that for the first time we have someone who will put the country on the right footing. Whereas Yar'Adua spent his time dodging UN meetings, Jonathan has impressed internationally in a very short space of time. Most Nigerians do not realise have far we have come in a very short space of time (from when elements of the army dared him to sit in the Presidents chair after smuggling in Yar'Adua in the dead of night). There were even strong rumours in the heat of the cabals war against Nigerians that the US was a hairs breadth away from stepping in militarily (they have denied it), the World was very worried about an unstable Nigeria, but Jonathan has come in, is arranging things quietly and surely and calming the place down like ice water. That dude is good.

Let us see his next moves, at least now he has people that he "trust" in govt and have no more excuses not to deliver
Re: Jonathan Moves To Save Yar'Adua by Kobojunkie: 5:46pm On Apr 06, 2010
What is this? His personal country? What happened to RULE OF LAW? What is public embarrassment of IMPEACHMENT?

Why should Nigerians be BURDENED with this when the constitution is clear on what needs to happen, and should have happened? The man is incapacitated and the law is clear on what ought to happen. Why inject meaningless sentiments into this now? He went AWOL without taking in to consideration the impact of such a move, and we are here to make sure he does not deal with the consequence of his action? The President and Acting President are not above the law.

What next? Are we going to let an incapacitated CBN governor continue as governor next?
Re: Jonathan Moves To Save Yar'Adua by SapeleGuy: 5:56pm On Apr 06, 2010
This is sentimental bull. Nigeria is bigger than any individual or regional ego. There would be no need for any soft landing or impeachment if Yaradua just resigns. There is no disgrace in resigning on the grounds of ill health.

Nobody can solve the problems that face us in 1 year, Goodluck is no exception. Let us not deceive ourselves. What he is doing, is rightfully laying the foundation for his own mandate come 2011.

(1) (2) (Reply)

OK / Frsc Introduces New Driver’s Licence, Number Plate October 1 / Fail! D’banj Interviews President Goodluck Jonathan.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.