Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,981 members, 7,817,891 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:09 PM

Top 10 Nigerian Alternative Acts Of 2017 - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Top 10 Nigerian Alternative Acts Of 2017 (5330 Views)

Top 10 Nigerian Gospel Songs Released In June 2018 / Top 10 Nigerian Songs 2017: Top 30 Most Popular Music In Naija / 5 Biggest Nigerian International Collaborations Of 2017 So Far - Synord (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 10 Nigerian Alternative Acts Of 2017 by safarigirl(f): 6:11pm On Dec 28, 2017
Most Nigerians constantky conpconplae quality of Nigerian music and how 'pangolo' music is gaining ground over meaningful songs and artistes.

Well, in 2017, many alternative artistes simply refused ro remain in the background and released some mainstream hits that sent alternative music into limelight and this article aims to bring up some of these amazing acts and their works.

These are the Top 10 Acts that rocked alternative music in 2017....bear in mind, many of these names are new.

10. Teni

Oluwateniola aka Teni is a female musician who first came into limelight from making Instagram videos of herself singing, after much encouragement from fans, Teni finally took the plunge and got some good reviews from the release of her hit track 'Fargin' which is a corrupted word for 'virgin'
The song basically is about a guy trying to convince his virgin lady that he has the best intentions while she insists that he should wait for her if he loves her as much as he claims.

Teni- Fargin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkQxf57yN2g

9. Ric Hassani

Ikechukwu Eric Ahiazu aka Ric Hassani is an alternative act from Rivers State who first came into limelight off the popularity of his hit song, Gentleman. The artiste who also doubles as a Fashion Designer and owns a clothing line, has a dress sense similar to that of Jidenna's, but he also has some great music.
He released his second album, African Gentleman in 2017 and the album contains some great music including the likes of Gentleman, Only You and Police. He has a smooth, soulful sound that can never go wrong

Ric Hassani- Only You

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsSXAo34UXA

8.Johnny Drille

John Ighodaro aka Johnny Drille is a musician from Edo state who excels in country music. Johnny was a contestant on the music reality show MTN Project Fane in the Sixth Season an has come a long way since his sojourn in the PF.
He is currently signed on to Don Jazzy's Mavin Records and was officially announced in February of this year. The contract gave the artiste the right platform to finally show himself to the world and he was welcomed with open arms. He has a soothing sound about him and reminds you of the American Act, Passenger. He has released tracks such as Wait For Me, My Beautiful Love and Romeo & Juliet. We hope 2018 is an even bigger year for him

Johnny Drille- Wait For Me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab9dtAuosMw

7. Nonso Amadi

If at the end of 2017, you don't know 22-year old Nonso Amadi, then you probably no follow us dey this Naija. The graduate of Engineering came into limelight earlier this year with his hit track, Tonight. He followed the song which was met with rave reviews with other hits such as Radio, Kwasia and Suicidal. Nonso'a voice is a soothing one that hooks you at the first note

Nonso Amadi- Radio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZR3HPOj1fg

6. Niniola

Niniola Apata aka Niniola is another Project Fame product, she equally contested in season 6 like Johnny Drille and finished third runner-up. Her hit song Maradona was highly b instrumental in making her one of the successful artistes in 2017. Her style is a mix of House music with a little Afrobeat. Off the back of the success of Maradona, she also has another hit track, Sick

Niniola- Maradona

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCbjK4259RM

5. Bez

Emmanuel Bez Idakula is a singer/ songwriter who has been in the business of alternative music for at least 7 years and has held on to his genre through the years. The Kaduna State indigene has made quite a name for himself having released hits such as Zuciya Daya, You Suppose Know and High which came off his 2017 Album, Necessary. Bez identifies with the Indie style of music.

Bez- You Suppose Know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9RuLRXrKZY

4. Timi Dakolo

Timi Dakolo is another product of a music reality show, however, his is much earlier than Project Fame. This is one fellow that stuck to his genre over a decade. The Bayelsa indigene won the first season of Idols West Africa and has grown in leaps and bounds since then. Timi mostly identifies with RnB/Soul music, but has infused an African sound to this genre, carving a niche for himself in the process.
While he is most famous for his hit single Iyawo Mi, which was released sometime in 2015, Timi has not relented with dishing out good music as we saw with consequent hits, The Vow and Medicine which was released on Valentine's day this year alongside his Yard People

Timi Dakolo- Medicine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vWgBFBPop0

3. Asa

Asa is a Germany-based Nigerian artiste who has been serenading us with songs that make us socially conscious and still smile since she was thrust into fame with her hit song Fire On The Mountain about 8 years ago. Asa's style is a bit of Indie, some Jazz, a dash of Soul, all influenced by her African roots.
Her many hits continue to keep her at the top of the broth over the years, from Jailer to Be My Man, to Satan Be Gone, Awe, Eye Adaba, Ife and many more, Asa's consistency has eaten through any bias from the Nigerian music fans

Asa- Satan Be Gone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oT-DqubButo

2. Adekunle Gold

The King of Alternative music in Nigeria in 2017, oga Adekunle introduced us to highlife like we have never known it. Blending his Yoruba language with lots of his songs, the Lagos State indigene since leaving YBNL has shown that he wasn't just another Olamide lackey.
With hit songs such as Money, Work, Call On Me and Friend zone all in 2017, it's not hard to imagine why Adekunle has claimed the Number Two Spot on the list

Adekunle Gold- Call On Me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42n37xJVj4E

1. Simi

And the Number 1 spot goes to none other than the Nightingale herself, Simisola Ogunleye aka Simi. The Ondo State indigene first hit gold with the song, Thief, she didn't let up as she had Falz jump on another hit, Jamb Question which ensured she had a seat amongst Nigerian acts, but 2017 has been exceptional for the singing beauty.
With hit songs like Joromi, Smile For Me and the latest jam at every party, Owanbe, I think we can all agree that Simisola earned her place at the head of this table in 2017.

Simi- Owanbe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kww-WPOaOdU

Worthy Mentions:

TJan
Brymo
Shaydee
Jon Ogah
Boj
Ajebutter

So, this is my list guys. Who are you taking off and who are you bringing on? Who should have been pushed forward or moved back? And most importantly, who is going to keep their relevance in 2018 and who is getting kicked off the list?

Article By: Me

Cc: airmark, dude, it's the last day of 2017. Might as well give 'good' music a chance

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Top 10 Nigerian Alternative Acts Of 2017 by Nobody: 6:22pm On Dec 28, 2017
I don't know who to take out
But
Brymo
Ogah
Shaydee should be on the list

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Nigerian Alternative Acts Of 2017 by safarigirl(f): 6:41pm On Dec 28, 2017
emwyy:
I don't know who to take out
But
Brymo
Ogah
Shaydee should be on the list
nobody to take out? That's why I put them on worthy mentions

Comparatively, those on the list had a better year
Re: Top 10 Nigerian Alternative Acts Of 2017 by mavinjay1(m): 4:00am On Dec 29, 2017
U didnt add
Aramide
Lindsey Abudei
Odunsi The Engine
Funbi
Tay Iwar
Moelogo....
Deris more u need to learn about Nigerian music...
Meanwhile Simi should not be On that alternative acts category... She sings Nigerian R&B genre

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Nigerian Alternative Acts Of 2017 by safarigirl(f): 8:51am On Dec 29, 2017
mavinjay1:
U didnt add
Aramide
Lindsey Abudei
Odunsi The Engine
Funbi
Tay Iwar
Moelogo....
Deris more u need to learn about Nigerian music...
Meanwhile Simi should not be On that alternative acts category... She sings Nigerian R&B genre
what did they do in 2017?

I know Funbi has Halleluyah, but did it enter mainstream as much as any of these other artistes? Aramide I am also well aware of, but not enough impact, even though I wanted to put her name under worthy mentions q

It's not enough to be an alternative act, else, the likes of Brymo should have made the list proper, but you have to have done enough in the year in review. I'm not listing all the alternative acts in Nigeria, else, even wavy the creator should have made it

Simi is not a strictly RnB musician, Joromi is more of jazz than RnB for instance. Owanbe is also not RnB
Re: Top 10 Nigerian Alternative Acts Of 2017 by Dohyn3(f): 12:22am On Dec 30, 2017
Nice list.. simi totally deserves the no. 1 spot.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Nigerian Alternative Acts Of 2017 by skeletonkey(m): 1:44am On Dec 30, 2017
I need to get into the Nigerian alternative music scene. it seems to be getting really good these days. I would appreciate some recommendations and links thank you
Re: Top 10 Nigerian Alternative Acts Of 2017 by safarigirl(f): 8:35am On Dec 31, 2017
skeletonkey:
I need to get into the Nigerian alternative music scene. it seems to be getting really good these days. I would appreciate some recommendations and links thank you
you can check out any of tgw guys listed here, most of their songs are great. You can also try Boj, Funbee, wavythecreator...some names escape me now though
Re: Top 10 Nigerian Alternative Acts Of 2017 by yoji: 9:25pm On Dec 31, 2017
1_bez is from nasarawa and not kaduna.
2_timi, simi and nini aren't alternative music artists. They may have one odd song, but definitely not alternative artists. Timi known for his voice is a soul singer, simi and nini are afropop/R and B.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Nigerian Alternative Acts Of 2017 by 007author(m): 9:51pm On Dec 31, 2017
Timi Dakolo is an R&B artist not an alternative artist. Where is Tjan, Maleek Berry, Funbi, Ajebutter, BOJ, Odunsi the engine, Moelogo, Blackmagic, and sir Dauda?
Re: Top 10 Nigerian Alternative Acts Of 2017 by safarigirl(f): 11:15pm On Dec 31, 2017
007author:
Timi Dakolo is an R&B artist not an alternative artist. Where is Tjan, Maleek Berry, Funbi, Ajebutter, BOJ, Odunsi the engine, Moelogo, Blackmagic, and sir Dauda?
what did they do in 2017? Maleek is an AfroPop artiste, delves into Hip Hop sometimes, but nothing of his strikes me as Alternative.

Tjan and BOJ are under Worthy Mentions, are they not?

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Nigerian Alternative Acts Of 2017 by 007author(m): 12:14am On Jan 01, 2018
safarigirl:
what did they do in 2017? Maleek is an AfroPop artiste, delves into Hip Hop sometimes, but nothing of his strikes me as Alternative.

Ajebutter released an album this year. He deserve more than worthy mention. He should be number two.
Re: Top 10 Nigerian Alternative Acts Of 2017 by yoji: 6:07am On Jan 01, 2018
safarigirl:

Stop being hypocritical. Asa's last album bed of stone was in 2014,so what's she doing on d list?

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Nigerian Alternative Acts Of 2017 by chyckxx(m): 7:19pm On Feb 10, 2018
Where the Bleep is BOJ?
Re: Top 10 Nigerian Alternative Acts Of 2017 by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:44pm On Mar 14, 2018
cc:safarigirl

Can you send the mail to thegoodjoehunt@gmail.com. I am having trouble accessing it. Thanks in advance.
Re: Top 10 Nigerian Alternative Acts Of 2017 by haryomikun(m): 2:16pm On Mar 15, 2018
safarigirl:
what did they do in 2017?

I know Funbi has Halleluyah, but did it enter mainstream as much as any of these other artistes? Aramide I am also well aware of, but not enough impact, even though I wanted to put her name under worthy mentions q

It's not enough to be an alternative act, else, the likes of Brymo should have made the list proper, but you have to have done enough in the year in review. I'm not listing all the alternative acts in Nigeria, else, even wavy the creator should have made it

Simi is not a strictly RnB musician, Joromi is more of jazz than RnB for instance. Owanbe is also not RnB

joromi is more of jazz? are you kidding me? Joromi isn't jazz at all sire

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Nigerian Alternative Acts Of 2017 by haryomikun(m): 2:17pm On Mar 15, 2018
yoji:
1_bez is from nasarawa and not kaduna.
2_timi, simi and nini aren't alternative music artists. They may have one odd song, but definitely not alternative artists. Timi known for his voice is a soul singer, simi and nini are afropop/R and B.

take me back by simi is an alternative song... I'd say she deserves a spot on the list
Re: Top 10 Nigerian Alternative Acts Of 2017 by haryomikun(m): 2:22pm On Mar 15, 2018
007author:

Ajebutter released an album this year. He deserve more than worthy mention. He should be number two.
i have 3 ajebutter22 songs on my headset and only the best tracks make it to my headset... In total i have no more than 20 songs on my headset and ajebutter is rocking my world...

Ghana bounce, Lifestyle, wayward... The guy's voice and lyrics are dope
Re: Top 10 Nigerian Alternative Acts Of 2017 by LeoThaGreat(m): 3:04pm On Mar 15, 2018
This is good post!
There are also alternative artists underground and they're all over SoundCloud. E.g Lady Donli Tay Iwar etc
Re: Top 10 Nigerian Alternative Acts Of 2017 by safarigirl(f): 8:17pm On Mar 15, 2018
haryomikun:

joromi is more of jazz? are you kidding me? Joromi isn't jazz at all sire
I'm a ma. And trumpets were applied in joromi, gives it a jazzy feel.
Re: Top 10 Nigerian Alternative Acts Of 2017 by haryomikun(m): 8:40pm On Mar 15, 2018
safarigirl:
I'm a ma. And trumpets were applied in joromi, gives it a jazzy feel.

oh sorry ma'am lol. immediately you said joromi was a jazz song i tried to remember where the trumpets sounded but couldn't that's why i quoted you... I'm still replaying the song in my head and trying to remember where i heard trumpets sef
Re: Top 10 Nigerian Alternative Acts Of 2017 by safarigirl(f): 8:52pm On Mar 15, 2018
haryomikun:

oh sorry ma'am lol. immediately you said joromi was a jazz song i tried to remember where the trumpets sounded but couldn't that's why i quoted you... I'm still replaying the song in my head and trying to remember where i heard trumpets sef
play the song again

They overused trumpets in joromi

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Nigerian Alternative Acts Of 2017 by haryomikun(m): 9:03pm On Mar 15, 2018
safarigirl:
play the song again

They overused trumpets in joromi
i just listened again lol. I forgot there were trumpets in it. But they don't give that jazz vibe to me sha
Re: Top 10 Nigerian Alternative Acts Of 2017 by safarigirl(f): 9:05pm On Mar 15, 2018
haryomikun:
i just listened again lol. I forgot there were trumpets in it. But they don't give that jazz vibe to me sha
the first genre that came to me when I heard joromi was jazz. Nothing else, but jazz. It could be afro-jazz, but the inspiration is certainly jazz
Re: Top 10 Nigerian Alternative Acts Of 2017 by GIYAZZ(m): 10:52pm On Mar 15, 2018
safarigirl:
the first genre that came to me when I heard joromi was jazz. Nothing else, but jazz. It could be afro-jazz, but the inspiration is certainly jazz
This geh!
Re: Top 10 Nigerian Alternative Acts Of 2017 by safarigirl(f): 12:40am On Mar 16, 2018
GIYAZZ:
This geh!
wetin I do?
Re: Top 10 Nigerian Alternative Acts Of 2017 by haryomikun(m): 6:56am On Mar 16, 2018
safarigirl:

Woah... Thats really surprising considering the trumpets even came much later after the second chorus sef
Re: Top 10 Nigerian Alternative Acts Of 2017 by safarigirl(f): 2:15pm On Mar 16, 2018
haryomikun:

Woah... Thats really surprising considering the trumpets even came much later after the second chorus sef
I have an ear for music, the song is jazzy to me

(1) (Reply)

Show Dem Camp Ft Funbi - Up 2 You Mp3 Download / List Of TOP Nigerian Djs / Qriss – Agege Bread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.