Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,684 members, 7,831,118 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 01:56 PM

Making Calls At Filling Stations Is Now A Crime — Police - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Making Calls At Filling Stations Is Now A Crime — Police (21785 Views)

Man Trying To Separate Fight At Filling Station In Delta Killed (Graphic Photos) / Is There Any Law Banning Making Of Calls At Police Checkpoints / Police Alerts Motorists Queuing At Filling Stations Over New Theft Tactics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Making Calls At Filling Stations Is Now A Crime — Police by anonimi: 9:11am On Dec 31, 2017
EvilMetahuman:
exactly..
what a messed up country.

Could you please tell us what YOU are doing to not make it messed up any further?
Abi you no be Meta human again ni

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4170338_img2016082917371832_jpegf599f7553587533df0ba62385af4fe8a

1 Like

Re: Making Calls At Filling Stations Is Now A Crime — Police by Nobody: 9:13am On Dec 31, 2017
Finally something to harass and arrest people and get more bribe money. Police will be pleased
Re: Making Calls At Filling Stations Is Now A Crime — Police by anonimi: 9:13am On Dec 31, 2017
Kposkila:
Nice initiative from NP

As nice as the boy boy (abi na girl girl) work our policemen do for the looters while they neglect the intelligence gathering and security work to protect us from armed robbers, kidnappers, scammers, rapists etc

www.nairaland.com/attachments/3160611_sokotofirstlady_jpgf4c56d6dd444933a194581b8a49ba5ee

2 Likes

Re: Making Calls At Filling Stations Is Now A Crime — Police by joepentwo(m): 9:14am On Dec 31, 2017
Cellphones do not cause petrol station fires Is it true that if you use a cell phone while filling up a car at a gas station, it could trigger a fire or explosion? Researchers at the Center for the Study of Wireless Electromagnetic Compatibility at the University of Oklahoma say there is virtually no evidence to suggest that cell phones pose a hazard at gas stations. The Oklahoma EMC Center, which recently presented its findings at a technical seminar, sponsored by The Institute of Petroleum in London, reported that there has never been a confirmed incident implicating a cell phone at a gas station anywhere in the world. The seminar was arranged to discuss the results of scientific research and investigations into this issue. "Our study was first initiated in 1999 to examine reports that cell phones posed a hazard near gas pumps, define and investigate the extent of the problem, and make recommendations as to what actions, if any, should be taken," said Glenn Kuriger, Associate Director of the EMC Center. "Our research, as well as the consensus of other studies presented at the London seminar, concluded that the risk is negligible, with virtually no evidence to even suggest a safety hazard." But what about all those reports circulated in the news media and on the Internet that cell phones had blown up gas stations? "I guess you can file them under the Urban Legend category," said the EMC Center's Director, Dr. Hank Grant. "The reported incidents are either hoaxes or have been incorrectly attributed to cell phones. There simply has never been a confirmed incident. "Why then do some cell phone manufacturers print warnings in their instruction manuals about not using these devices in areas with "potentially explosive atmospheres" such as gas stations? "I can't speak for the manufacturers, but the warnings may be the result of an outdated United Kingdom regulation that was set when wireless phones operated at powers up to 20 watts, as opposed to the typical power of 0.6 watts today," Dr. Grant explained. "The electromagnetic emissions from a cell phone are just not strong enough to ignite gas vapours. Based on historical evidence and expert opinion, we believe the risk of cell phones as a source of ignition is negligible." www.amta.org.au/articles/amta/ Cellphones.do.not.cause.petrol.station.fires

nairaland.com/3805466/cellphones-not-cause-petrol-station

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Making Calls At Filling Stations Is Now A Crime — Police by ajl: 9:14am On Dec 31, 2017
thesicilian:
I don't think this news is true. But I know making calls in petrol stations is usually discouraged. Can someone please explain to me like I'm 5yrs old the relationship between phone calls and petrol explosion?

Electrostatic discharge from mobile phones could ignite naked fuel. I believe there are signs that indicate this as a potential hazard at petrol stations. If you want to see outcome of refusing to obey this particular rule, search on youtube using the right keywords. I saw one on Youtube and since then I have stopped using my mobile at gas stations.

You can also see warnings in your mobile phone manufacturers Users handbook.

1 Like

Re: Making Calls At Filling Stations Is Now A Crime — Police by Raintaker(m): 9:14am On Dec 31, 2017
skyhighweb:
Electromagnetic Radiation The two-way communication between your phone and the network tower takes place through electromagnetic waves – invisible waves that race to the network tower and return to your phone in seconds! These waves have energy values in the range of 1.24 Megaelectron-Volts to 12.4 Peta- electronvolts. It is assumed that this electromagnetic radiation is a cause of concern; because they carry so much energy, they may cause sparks and consequently ignite gas, which could cause monumental damage in a place like a gas station!
#copied
You didn't finish copying it.
Re: Making Calls At Filling Stations Is Now A Crime — Police by bughead: 9:17am On Dec 31, 2017
ebig21:

but recently I saw a poster of a woman who died while making call at a gas station.
go and read that post again and if you have an observing brain you will known that story has some k-leg

First she fill her gas cylinder

Second the cylinder exploded inside her car while making call whereby the news said it was at the gas station, does that making any sense to you? undecided

We are in a dry season and static electric due to dust is all over.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Making Calls At Filling Stations Is Now A Crime — Police by anonimi: 9:17am On Dec 31, 2017
joepentwo:
Cellphones do not cause petrol
station fires

Is it true that if you use a cell phone while
filling up a car at a gas station,
it could
trigger a fire or explosion?
Researchers at
the Center for the Study of Wireless
Electromagnetic Compatibility at the
University of Oklahoma say there is virtually
no evidence to suggest that cell phones
pose a hazard at gas stations.
The Oklahoma EMC Center, which recently
presented its findings at a technical seminar,
sponsored by The Institute of Petroleum in
London, reported that there has never been
a confirmed incident implicating a cell
phone at a gas station anywhere in the
world.
The seminar was arranged to discuss
the results of scientific research and
investigations into this issue.
"Our study was first initiated in 1999 to
examine reports that cell phones posed a
hazard near gas pumps, define and
investigate the extent of the problem, and
make recommendations as to what actions,
if any, should be taken," said Glenn Kuriger,
Associate Director of the EMC Center. "Our
research, as well as the consensus of other
studies presented at the London seminar,
concluded that the risk is negligible, with
virtually no evidence to even suggest a
safety hazard."
But what about all those reports circulated
in the news media and on the Internet that
cell phones had blown up gas stations?
"I guess you can file them under the Urban
Legend category," said the EMC Center's
Director, Dr. Hank Grant.
"The reported
incidents are either hoaxes or have been
incorrectly attributed to cell phones.
There
simply has never been a confirmed
incident.
"Why then do some cell phone manufacturers
print warnings in their instruction manuals
about not using these devices in areas with
"potentially explosive atmospheres" such as
gas stations?
"I can't speak for the manufacturers, but the
warnings may be the result of an outdated
United Kingdom regulation that was set
when wireless phones operated at powers
up to 20 watts, as opposed to the typical
power of 0.6 watts today," Dr. Grant
explained.
"The electromagnetic emissions
from a cell phone are just not strong
enough to ignite gas vapours.
Based on
historical evidence and expert opinion, we
believe the risk of cell phones as a source of
ignition is negligible."

www.amta.org.au/articles/amta/
Cellphones.do.not.cause.petrol.station.fires

2 Likes

Re: Making Calls At Filling Stations Is Now A Crime — Police by ajl: 9:22am On Dec 31, 2017
joepentwo:
Cellphones do not cause petrol
station fires
Is it true that if you use a cell phone while
filling up a car at a gas station,
it could
trigger a fire or explosion?
Researchers at
the Center for the Study of Wireless
Electromagnetic Compatibility at the
University of Oklahoma say there is virtually
no evidence to suggest that cell phones
pose a hazard at gas stations.
The Oklahoma EMC Center, which recently
presented its findings at a technical seminar,
sponsored by The Institute of Petroleum in
London, reported that there has never been
a confirmed incident implicating a cell
phone at a gas station anywhere in the
world.
The seminar was arranged to discuss
the results of scientific research and
investigations into this issue.
"Our study was first initiated in 1999 to
examine reports that cell phones posed a
hazard near gas pumps, define and
investigate the extent of the problem, and
make recommendations as to what actions,
if any, should be taken," said Glenn Kuriger,
Associate Director of the EMC Center. "Our
research, as well as the consensus of other
studies presented at the London seminar,
concluded that the risk is negligible, with
virtually no evidence to even suggest a
safety hazard."
But what about all those reports circulated
in the news media and on the Internet that
cell phones had blown up gas stations?
"I guess you can file them under the Urban
Legend category," said the EMC Center's
Director, Dr. Hank Grant.
"The reported
incidents are either hoaxes or have been
incorrectly attributed to cell phones.
There
simply has never been a confirmed
incident.
"Why then do some cell phone manufacturers
print warnings in their instruction manuals
about not using these devices in areas with
"potentially explosive atmospheres" such as
gas stations?
"I can't speak for the manufacturers, but the
warnings may be the result of an outdated
United Kingdom regulation that was set
when wireless phones operated at powers
up to 20 watts, as opposed to the typical
power of 0.6 watts today," Dr. Grant
explained.
"The electromagnetic emissions
from a cell phone are just not strong
enough to ignite gas vapours.
Based on
historical evidence and expert opinion, we
believe the risk of cell phones as a source of
ignition is negligible."
www.amta.org.au/articles/amta/
Cellphones.do.not.cause.petrol.station.fires

You can easily put this to test yourself. When next you are at the gas station place a call on your mobile phone while discharging fuel. Please see example of such an accident on YouTube. Be careful of all suspect scientific studies that are often funded by industry funded lobbyist.

But give the test a try and come back here to educate us on the result. About the Nigerian police, may be another avenue for extortion. But in a country of people that are largely indiscipline I will rather have the police extort a "stubborn goat" than have multiple people killed or injured and millions of property lost.

Ordinary static discharge from your body in an environment filled with gaseous flammable can cause fire. Gas stations here in the United States carries signs that advised against use of cell phones in gas stations. Those signs are not there for nothing.
Re: Making Calls At Filling Stations Is Now A Crime — Police by Jbols2001(m): 9:24am On Dec 31, 2017
1. There is not relationship between mobile phone and explosion in filling station. This myth has been flawed a long time ago. For an explosion to happen there have to be an ignition and a mobile phone cannot ignite anything. What typically causes petrol station fire is charges gathered in one's body before touching the petrol dispenser. Please watch Mythbusters S01E03.

2. When did the police start writing the law. The police is only mandated to enforce the law. the National/state House of assembly are empowered to make laws while the judiciary interpretes the law. This is Govt 101. So I don't understand this post...which house of assembly passed this law. Anyway, we live in a lawless country.

3. Happy New Year and have a prosperous 2018.

1 Like

Re: Making Calls At Filling Stations Is Now A Crime — Police by Richy4(m): 9:25am On Dec 31, 2017
sotallcomputers:
next time you visit a fuel station, look around more carefully.
I am sure you will see the warning signs on every dispenser.

If fuel price can be noticeable and boldly displayed for all to see, Don't you think safety measures too should be in a place where people can see it boldly displayed with out hiding the sign in a corner?
Re: Making Calls At Filling Stations Is Now A Crime — Police by ebig21(m): 9:25am On Dec 31, 2017
bughead:
go and read that post again and if you have an observing brain you will known that story has some k-leg

First she fill her gas cylinder

Second the cylinder exploded inside her car while making call whereby the news said it was at the gas station, does that making any sense to you? undecided

We are in a dry season and static electric due to dust is all over.

OK bro
Re: Making Calls At Filling Stations Is Now A Crime — Police by olusola200: 9:26am On Dec 31, 2017
Passed second reading in the house of police

Na so den dey make law

Misplacement of priority

Another source of revenue for the boys
Re: Making Calls At Filling Stations Is Now A Crime — Police by joepentwo(m): 9:26am On Dec 31, 2017
ajl:

You can easily put this to test yourself. When next you are at the gas station place a call on your mobile phone while discharging fuel. Please see example of such an accident on YouTube. Be careful of all suspect scientific studies that are often funded by industry funded lobbyist.

But give the test a try and come back here to educate us on the result. About the Nigerian police, may be another avenue for extortion. But in a country of people that are largely indiscipline I will rather have the police extort a "stubborn goat" than have multiple people killed or injured and millions of property lost.

i have answered calls in the filling station, even when i want to empty into my gen. i used ma cell phone touch/flash light@ times.

it's just a matter of black markrt concution or village pipp@wrk grin
Re: Making Calls At Filling Stations Is Now A Crime — Police by ivolt: 9:27am On Dec 31, 2017
emmie14:
Stupidity. Useless law on dry tanks. Arrest on empty filling stations. shame Nigerian police

Pierohandsome:
They have found another loop hole to rob people, Useless police. Is that why they are trained to combat crime? Who criminalised making calls at filling stations, whn did police turn to lawmakers?

You should be grateful to the police for trying to save your life.
Re: Making Calls At Filling Stations Is Now A Crime — Police by skyhighweb(m): 9:30am On Dec 31, 2017
bughead:

So naso them teach you make you dey copied anything and paste without proving it to be genuine and authentic undecided

I blame your family!
ode ur family no really teach u sense shey the #copied no reach u abi i must copy all d intro and the comment n the link and advert join shey? mumu d main part was copied n dropped not for u but for someone so carry ur foolishness go one side
Re: Making Calls At Filling Stations Is Now A Crime — Police by TruthTrulyHurts: 9:30am On Dec 31, 2017
GoldHorse:

This is just a myth! Nigerian police and stupid laws to enable egunjeism!

1. The signal of your self phone is too small to ignite flames even with explosives
2. There's no single PROVEN occurrence anywhere in the world that this has happened.

I even watched this on myth busters many years back. They proved the improbability of this.

Static electricity is the culprit.
Re: Making Calls At Filling Stations Is Now A Crime — Police by ajl: 9:31am On Dec 31, 2017
joepentwo:

i have answered calls in the filling station, even when i want to empty into my gen. i used ma cell phone touch/flash light@ times.

Do you know what is called "chance" in life. Because you did it and nothing happened last time does not mean it won't happen another time. Situations that influence static discharge from mobile phones will surely vary for different cobditions.
Re: Making Calls At Filling Stations Is Now A Crime — Police by ajl: 9:34am On Dec 31, 2017
[quote author=TruthTrulyHurts post=63762346][/quote]

Yes, static discharge from you to your phone. Same way you are advised against opening your car door when filling your vehicle gas tank to avoid static discharge.

Obviously Nigerians are not safety conscious. If people can go near ruptured pipeline to scoop fuel that says a lot about safety culture. Or where container from container trucks fall on vehicles very often. It says a lot.
Re: Making Calls At Filling Stations Is Now A Crime — Police by Nobody: 9:36am On Dec 31, 2017
EvilMetahuman:
another means of harassing innocent citizen.. calls causing gasing gas explosion has not been proven to be true yet. the illiterate people think its time to start harassing people again.

even developed countries dont have such stupid law.
err.. yes! over here although it is not in law but we are adviced politely to turn off mobile phones when filling petrol in petrol stations and smoking is aso prohibited at petrol stations too, although anyone with common sense would know that already grin and over here people obey rules unlike in nigeria.
Re: Making Calls At Filling Stations Is Now A Crime — Police by Nobody: 9:39am On Dec 31, 2017
joepentwo:

my friend! please don't do it again, next time you might not survive it.

it's no joke. what they are saying here is true!
Re: Making Calls At Filling Stations Is Now A Crime — Police by ajl: 9:40am On Dec 31, 2017
gypsey:
err.. yes! over here although it is not in law but we are adviced politely to turn off mobile phones when filling petrol in petrol stations and smoking is aso prohibited at petrol stations too, although anyone with common sense would know that already grin and over here people obey rules unlike in nigeria.

Actually "stubborn goats" are every where. Few weeks ago I could remember making a sign from a distance to a guy at a gas station here in Texas about use of his phone. He simply ignored me, meanwhile a sign is up there showing this shouldn't be done.
Re: Making Calls At Filling Stations Is Now A Crime — Police by EvilMetahuman: 9:42am On Dec 31, 2017
gypsey:
it is the same here also.

it is in every petrol station.

they put a big sign, no smoking or cell phone. but adding a huge crime such as attempted arson is simply stupid.
Re: Making Calls At Filling Stations Is Now A Crime — Police by Nobody: 9:43am On Dec 31, 2017
ajl:

Yes, static discharge from you to your phone. Same way you are advised against opening your car door when filling your vehicle gas tank to avoid static discharge.

Obviously Nigerians are not safety conscious. If people can go near ruptured pipeline to scoop fuel that says a lot about safety culture. Or where container from container trucks fall on vehicles very often. It says a lot.
Nigerians atitude towards health and safety is very poor, although it will clearly says Caution! higly inflammable but they will ignore the sign and expect God to save them whem tragedy occures.
Re: Making Calls At Filling Stations Is Now A Crime — Police by anyimontana(m): 9:43am On Dec 31, 2017
EvilMetahuman:
exactly..

what a messed up country.
police doing the work of senators,
Soon senators go begin stand for road dey collect egunje

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Making Calls At Filling Stations Is Now A Crime — Police by joepentwo(m): 9:47am On Dec 31, 2017
ajl:

Do you know what is called "chance" in life. Because you did it and nothing happened last time does not mean it won't happen another time. Situations that influence static discharge from mobile phones will surely vary for different cobditions.
thank u very much!
i was lucky for not been a victim bkus i av tried for more than 20times.
Re: Making Calls At Filling Stations Is Now A Crime — Police by Nobody: 9:47am On Dec 31, 2017
EvilMetahuman:
it is the same here also.

it is in every petrol station.

they put a big sign, no smoking or cell phone. but adding a huge crime such as attempted arson is simply stupid.
yes! you are correct, as i ve asserted it should not be termed as attempted arson or even criminalised,
but knowing nigerians they will not follow that simple rules unless police, crime or prison is attached to it grin
they do not like going to prison.
Re: Making Calls At Filling Stations Is Now A Crime — Police by joepentwo(m): 9:49am On Dec 31, 2017
gypsey:
my friend! please don't do it again, next time you might not survive it.

it's no joke. what they are saying here is true!
new year! new tinks.
thank u
Re: Making Calls At Filling Stations Is Now A Crime — Police by Nobody: 9:55am On Dec 31, 2017
ajl:

Actually "stubborn goats" are every where. Few weeks ago I could remember making a sign from a distance to a guy at a gas station here in Texas about use of his phone. He simply ignored me, meanwhile a sign is up there showing this shouldn't be done.
yes! you are correct! few will ignore the signs but majority would not, people are very safety conscious here in England,

but in nigeria every body will ignore that simple rules, nigerians have been seen scooping spilling petrol from an overturned petrol tankers involved in an accident. now! that's suicide i would say.
Re: Making Calls At Filling Stations Is Now A Crime — Police by Nobody: 9:56am On Dec 31, 2017
joepentwo:

new year! new tinks.
thank u
Good! you will live long grin people who take Advice Always lives long
Re: Making Calls At Filling Stations Is Now A Crime — Police by NOETHNICITY(m): 9:57am On Dec 31, 2017
thesicilian:
I don't think this news is true. But I know making calls in petrol stations is usually discouraged. Can someone please explain to me like I'm 5yrs old the relationship between phone calls and petrol explosion?
Let me try...

Just carry ur generator, take it into ur room in a house built by u or ur father and open the fuel tank. Then go very close to it it with ur phone and begin to dial a number..

1 Like

Re: Making Calls At Filling Stations Is Now A Crime — Police by Martin0(m): 9:59am On Dec 31, 2017
gypsey:
yes! you are correct, as i ve asserted it should not be termed as attempted arson or even criminalised,
but knowing nigerians they will not follow that simple rules unless police, crime or prison is attached to it grin
they do not like going to prison.

Exactly

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Evans Denies Telling Police He Is A Kidnapper / 5 Persons Killed In Egbeda, Emohua, Rivers State By Gunmen / Nigerian Man Arrested After His 'Lover' Was Nabbed With Cocaine In Malawi. Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.