Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,320 members, 7,836,378 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:42 AM

Is It Illegal To Carry A Laptop? I Was Arrested For Carrying One - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is It Illegal To Carry A Laptop? I Was Arrested For Carrying One (7112 Views)

Diezani Was Arrested Due To Efcc's Request/cooperation - Punch / The Notorious Boko Haram Kingpin Who Was Arrested Today By The Army..photos / Ukrainian Cargo Plane Grounded In Kano For Carrying Military Hardware (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Illegal To Carry A Laptop? I Was Arrested For Carrying One by hardbody: 1:11pm On Apr 07, 2010
I wajust reading this Laptop story. The way round it is very simple. Print yourself an official ID card. Tell whoever enquires of you. 'that you are carrying an official laptop and receipts are generally not given out to staff, it is retained by the Management Services of your Company. If you string your english together and correctly and also sound a bit 'bossy', the policeman or whoever it is will meekly apologise and disappear. I have adopted this approach severally. (but then i use only lappies bought for me by my employers anyways. I think if i buy one personally, i will just inscribe my office name to it)
Re: Is It Illegal To Carry A Laptop? I Was Arrested For Carrying One by Obamimo: 1:32pm On Apr 07, 2010
restructure and reformation is needed urgently
Re: Is It Illegal To Carry A Laptop? I Was Arrested For Carrying One by Fhemmmy: 1:35pm On Apr 07, 2010
Those people will do anything to make money and yet they will wanna back it up with some nonsense from EFCC
Re: Is It Illegal To Carry A Laptop? I Was Arrested For Carrying One by Thegodfather: 2:05pm On Apr 07, 2010
o boy na soo becos me i don see a police man infact a group of police men wey stop one boy becos im carry laptop dey waker. it was so embarrassing because the boy had to empty his bag so that the police men go searcherm am very well. embarassed
Re: Is It Illegal To Carry A Laptop? I Was Arrested For Carrying One by olayinkaj2(m): 2:07pm On Apr 07, 2010
Soon they will be asking receipt for cloths u put on and finger nails, afro hair, it might even get to a stage where they will be checking boxer shorts. Police, they are just useless set of ppl. Rogues!!!
Re: Is It Illegal To Carry A Laptop? I Was Arrested For Carrying One by Fhemmmy: 2:12pm On Apr 07, 2010
^^^ Lol
Re: Is It Illegal To Carry A Laptop? I Was Arrested For Carrying One by erico2k2(m): 2:13pm On Apr 07, 2010
yep bunch of losers
Re: Is It Illegal To Carry A Laptop? I Was Arrested For Carrying One by Fhemmmy: 2:13pm On Apr 07, 2010
erico2k2:

yep bunch of losers

That is what our society has turned them into
Re: Is It Illegal To Carry A Laptop? I Was Arrested For Carrying One by erico2k2(m): 2:14pm On Apr 07, 2010
YOu know what I think we should realy do on this site, we should try  and find thier website  and go to the complaint section or even contacts section  and dump loads of Sh88tz on there, whos with me eh?  lol
Re: Is It Illegal To Carry A Laptop? I Was Arrested For Carrying One by Fhemmmy: 2:15pm On Apr 07, 2010
erico2k2:

YOu know what I think we should realy do on this site, we should try  and find thier website  and go to the complaint section or even contacts section  and dump loads of Sh88tz on there, whos with me eh?  lol

Find whose site and dumb what kinda stuff there?
Re: Is It Illegal To Carry A Laptop? I Was Arrested For Carrying One by nellaluv(f): 2:17pm On Apr 07, 2010
bandely:

What are you trying to say? How is he trying to get noticed? Someone that had being on the forum since 2007 and has over 4000 posts?

His contribution on NL is wonderful, check the Webmaster section and see for yourself.
yeah, i know he's nt new and i've seen his contributions mostly on sexuality section, lol. What i;m trying to say is that, now everyone wants to tell a story.

oduz:

@ nellaluv, I also acknowledge posters contributions to the education of members at the web section, I think u hit the wrong guy, may be u don't know (that's not a crime),
and now that u know, I'm sure u will do what decent ladies do in this kind of circumstance, politely apologize, after all we all know u are a decent lady too with panache  cool  wink  smiley
na true  tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Is It Illegal To Carry A Laptop? I Was Arrested For Carrying One by kosovo(m): 2:50pm On Apr 07, 2010
These policemen are the Dumbest entity i have ever interacted with, I had posted a similar story some years back, This is very sad, Everybody is a yahoo boy Nigeria? how pathetic, Searching someone's personal or company file's without a search warrant is Dumb, Arresting young boys who carry lappy is sarcastic, Collecting Huge Bribes from these young boys is stupid. . . i heard Nigerians now carry their lappy in Bacco super bAG . . LOL
Re: Is It Illegal To Carry A Laptop? I Was Arrested For Carrying One by Genuflect(m): 3:00pm On Apr 07, 2010
kosovo:

These policemen are the Dumbest entity i have ever interacted with, I had posted a similar story some years back, This is very sad, Everybody is a yahoo boy Nigeria? how pathetic, Searching someone's personal or company file's without a search warrant is Dumb, Arresting young boys who carry lappy is sarcastic, Collecting Huge Bribes from these young boys is silly. . . i heard Nigerians now carry their lappy in Bacco super bAG . . LOL

LWKMD!!
Re: Is It Illegal To Carry A Laptop? I Was Arrested For Carrying One by Fhemmmy: 3:05pm On Apr 07, 2010
kosovo:

These policemen are the Dumbest entity i have ever interacted with, I had posted a similar story some years back, This is very sad, Everybody is a yahoo boy Nigeria? how pathetic, Searching someone's personal or company file's without a search warrant is Dumb, Arresting young boys who carry lappy is sarcastic, Collecting Huge Bribes from these young boys is silly. . . i heard Nigerians now carry their lappy in Bacco super bAG . . LOL

True they are dumb and bad and all that, however, it is our society too that has to be checked.
Re: Is It Illegal To Carry A Laptop? I Was Arrested For Carrying One by bibiking1(m): 3:49pm On Apr 07, 2010
erico2k2:

YOu know what I think we should realy do on this site, we should try and find thier website and go to the complaint section or even contacts section and dump loads of Sh88tz on there, whos with me eh? lol

uhm,,,,firstly, you are alone on that quest! More importantly, if you are able to get a site belonging to the Nigerian police force that can accept your queries you would be well on your way to becoming the greatest discoverer of modern day Nigeria
Bless you friend!
Re: Is It Illegal To Carry A Laptop? I Was Arrested For Carrying One by alldone(m): 4:03pm On Apr 07, 2010
they dont even know anything. it is a usual practice for them. God will save us.

always go with your reciept.
Re: Is It Illegal To Carry A Laptop? I Was Arrested For Carrying One by Fhemmmy: 4:06pm On Apr 07, 2010
alldone:

they dont even know anything. it is a usual practice for them. God will save us.

always go with your reciept.

As silly as it might sound, that seems to be the only solution in a nation that has cops that treat citizen so bad and cant think outside of the box
Re: Is It Illegal To Carry A Laptop? I Was Arrested For Carrying One by JoeGaruba: 5:08pm On Apr 07, 2010
Fela's ODOO (overtake don overtake overtake) rings true even today.

,  when you wear police uniform, na to collect money for road,

One of them stopped me in Lagos in 2004 asking the same NECO/ JAMB questions. I told him the laptop was a gift. He still wanted a receipt. I calmly asked if he would request for one if someone gave him a watch. He let me go. I must have been lucky not to have parted with $$$ or be bundled into their Van/cell.

If you can avoid it, dont ride Okada with a laptop or keep it out of view if you drive in your car. Other than that, be friends with someone (who knows someone e.g a top ranking askari) that can bail you out of the Jam.

While this is not the solution we need, it may do till we enforce the rule of law in our land.

grin
Re: Is It Illegal To Carry A Laptop? I Was Arrested For Carrying One by yemo(m): 5:18pm On Apr 07, 2010
I was once arrested with a colleague for having a copy Haliburton Vacancy Advert. They can cook up anything just to collect bribe.
was also arrested for having a lapie. unfortunately for them my laptop dual boots(windows and Linux), and always boots to linux first. So on getting to the station the stupid PM fumbled with the laptop for hours without knowing how to operate it. He kept insisting that there must be something on the laptop, and I told him to proof it. Seeing that am not being helpful and he had to return to the road so that the whole day wouldn’t be wasted for him, he finally had to let me go without paying a dime.
Re: Is It Illegal To Carry A Laptop? I Was Arrested For Carrying One by zenus(m): 5:33pm On Apr 07, 2010
most of this our police no know say u can buy laptop for 2ok
Re: Is It Illegal To Carry A Laptop? I Was Arrested For Carrying One by Tkartworld(m): 6:12pm On Apr 07, 2010
Bleep POLICE!
Re: Is It Illegal To Carry A Laptop? I Was Arrested For Carrying One by Fhemmmy: 6:24pm On Apr 07, 2010
zenus:

most of this our police no know say u can buy laptop for 2ok

Some dont even know what a laptop looks like . . . so no blame them
Re: Is It Illegal To Carry A Laptop? I Was Arrested For Carrying One by Tkartworld(m): 6:27pm On Apr 07, 2010
I've got much of this damn experience, am a student of Ekpoma thousands of time u got boosted and bruised seriously by this fuckin police, at the end they asked u to pay for it. Last week if u re found of wearin jean and sound neck  or flashy material, u don enter trouble, the same thing when I went to Benin to buy phone that's when i truely knew that we are wrestling in a crazy world. Na envious headache dey worry them. I prayed! Na God go punish all of them. Amen

Re: Is It Illegal To Carry A Laptop? I Was Arrested For Carrying One by Fhemmmy: 6:28pm On Apr 07, 2010
^^^ Hope all is well oh?
Re: Is It Illegal To Carry A Laptop? I Was Arrested For Carrying One by cashful(m): 6:42pm On Apr 07, 2010
just wondering what will happen to those guys that do not have policemen as relations or friends.

i have had my own experiences, the first happened on the day i bought a laptop from a colleague of mine, he gave the receipt to me with a note transferring ownership to me written at the back of the receipt.

just as the bike man dropped me at the bus-stop(which happened to be at the back of a police station) 2 policemen approached me, they asked what was in the bag i told them it was a laptop, asked for the receipt which i showed them but they were not satisfied so they took me to the station told their superior that i initially declined to show them the receipt and as such they are suspecting me.

i started a hot argument with them on why i should show them the receipt, why didnt they ask for the receipt of my phone and other things i had with me, just then one of them received a call, and when i saw the phone(far costly than the laptop) he was using i asked him if he was carrying the receipt of the phone with him.
I was determined not to give them anything(i spent 1hr 30mins at the counter),when they saw that i would not cooperate, they said i must call the guy would sold it to me, well he came after another 30mins before they allowed me to go.
Re: Is It Illegal To Carry A Laptop? I Was Arrested For Carrying One by Fhemmmy: 6:44pm On Apr 07, 2010
^^^ Sorry about that kinda experience, and those dude could lie
Re: Is It Illegal To Carry A Laptop? I Was Arrested For Carrying One by jivelissie: 6:48pm On Apr 07, 2010
Arresting for possession of a laptop can be an unfortunate incident especially if you run into "wetin you chop remain types".
Re: Is It Illegal To Carry A Laptop? I Was Arrested For Carrying One by cashful(m): 6:52pm On Apr 07, 2010
JoeGaruba:

Fela's ODOO (overtake don overtake overtake) rings true even today.

One of them stopped me in Lagos in 2004 asking the same NECO/ JAMB questions. I told him the laptop was a gift. He still wanted a receipt. I calmly asked if he would request for one if someone gave him a watch. He let me go. I must have been lucky not to have parted with $$$ or be bundled into their Van/cell.

If you can avoid it, dont ride Okada with a laptop or keep it out of view if you drive in your car. Other than that, be friends with someone (who knows someone e.g a top ranking askari) that can bail you out of the Jam.

While this is not the solution we need, it may do till we enforce the rule of law in our land.

i agree with you on this, there mentality is that its yahoo yahoo boys so lets get something out of them,

grin
Re: Is It Illegal To Carry A Laptop? I Was Arrested For Carrying One by Fhemmmy: 7:01pm On Apr 07, 2010
jivelissie:

Arresting for possession of a laptop can be an unfortunate incident especially if you run into "wetin you chop remain types".

Which of them is better that "wetin u chop remain"?
Re: Is It Illegal To Carry A Laptop? I Was Arrested For Carrying One by dayooye(m): 8:46pm On Apr 07, 2010
i hv had series of ugly experiences wit Nigerian police, as a system technician most of d times am in pocession of a laptop, i go 2 computer village almost evry day 2 buy parts, nd dea d fight ensue, men in black asking me 4 laptop receipt, if am lucky 2 have collected d receipt 4rm my client anoda fight wld ensue cause de want me 2 open d laptop, de want to check d content, i hv been very unlucky sometimes as d laptop content is ilegal, de wld ask me 2 produce d owner nd u re dea 4 hours. but realistically what i have notice is dat men in black always study ur dressin b4 aproaching u, so what did i do?, i went to d market nd got a full load of shirts, pant trousers nd tie, i can confidently tell u dat i carry laptop to nd fro ikeja on bike nd in my car without hidin it, dress well nd be composed when interacting wit men in black, once de notice u re well composed when speaking de become uncomfortable wit u nd i tell u de will want to discharge u @ once,
Re: Is It Illegal To Carry A Laptop? I Was Arrested For Carrying One by heryyy(m): 10:53pm On Apr 07, 2010
I am very glad that i came across this thread cos i am living in ikotun egbe,infact i was born and grown in ikotun,there is no single doubt in my mind who this people are and i will mention there names here if there is anyone who can stop them, they are as follows, MUKAILA, FREDDY, LUCKY, PAROL, MR KAZEEM, they take this as a real business,they patrol every area of ikotun/egbe looking for victim and they normal move around with a very small red nissan car but people notice the car from far and they run so they stop using the car and hire a danfo, pls let someone stop them they are bunch of thieves
Re: Is It Illegal To Carry A Laptop? I Was Arrested For Carrying One by Guylan(m): 11:00pm On Apr 07, 2010
Nigeria is in trouble, if these things are actually happening over there. Big shame to NPF lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Port Harcourt International Airport Remodelling 90% Complete(pictures) / What Is Happening To TAN? / Sanusi predicted this economic crisis to a T and they all sat down and laughed.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.