Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,105 members, 7,811,105 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:41 PM

Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University (22956 Views)

See The Public University In Nigeria Where Electricity Runs 24/7 (photos) / 5 Reasons You Shouldn't Attend A Private University / Which Public University Is The Best In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by EdoBoy90(m): 8:31pm On Dec 31, 2017
It is disheartening and an aberration that this what Nigerians can do to make Nigeria better, claiming superiority and inferiority over one another in Universities both in private and public

We can't put our ideas into practical terms that will affect the people's life.

For someone to take his or her previous time to put this down then I doubt the person educational background. Instead of you to bring quantum ideas on how to solve Nigerian problems, you
are lampooning universities. You went to school and make things better. But here, you have nothing to show for it but criticism.

If I may ask the OP,
1)What are your achievements? 2.1 or First Class is not an achievement because it is written on paper.
2) what have you been able to invent? How is your contributions to humanity?
3) If you academic achievement is not reflecting in the lives of people then you should keep quiet amd hide the private university you attended.

Nigerians are good in paper work that is theoritical work but not in practical work.

The last I checked, Mr. Seun graduated from a public University. You are using NL and claiming the best.

People like Mr. Falana, Barr. Mike Ozekhomhe, Ali Baba, Mr. Featus Keyamo, Prof. Charles Soludo, Prof. Pat Utomi and many more graduated from public universities

6 Likes

Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by Nobody: 8:31pm On Dec 31, 2017
chiefolododo:
Nonsense. Most students at private universities cannot pass JAMB
Many in public schools can't either. In fact the ones that passes jamb rarely get admission because they are not connected. It is such a shame that most public universities deny many students admission because they are not connected. What is the use of good jamb score when you're not admitted

1 Like

Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by SoldierBoy1(m): 8:31pm On Dec 31, 2017
kimbraa:
If you attended a private University, it's simply 'cause you were privileged. Anything that has advantages equally has disadvantages but you didn't mention any of the latter but did a comparison between both schools. Don't tell me private Universities don't breed criminals. In terms of standard, I'll give it to the private universities but they do employ mediocre lecturers which will never happen in a public uni.
Mediocre lecturers ke?.... When my Machine Design lecturer is Prof Adekoya from OAU, advanced thermodynamics :FUTA Prof, metallurgy (Prof Oki from UNIPORT), Automobile systems design (Dr Uguru-Okorie product of FUTO) etc..... Most of our lecturers are products of you guys system since private universities came into existence about 18yrs ago with Igbinedion being the first. I be Landmark guy.

1 Like

Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by Nobody: 8:32pm On Dec 31, 2017
chiefolododo:
Baba don't deceive yourself, many students at private universities cannot score 200 in JAMB, this truth remains
The ones that score 200 in jamb how many are admitted? Isn't useless scoring 200 her you are not admitted?
Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by Alariiwo: 8:34pm On Dec 31, 2017
supajizy:

That's why we have lots of Private University graduate running to University of Lagos to do their masters. Matriculating and Graduating first doesn't make you the best. Also many of the facilities you mention have no meaningful impact on the environment. Yes public education is poorly funded. I would rather go to a private university over lots of public universities. But to be sincere none of the private universities is a match for any of the Top ten Public Universities.
Private Universities are not so good either. Outside Babcock, Convenant and Elizade University the rest are crap
I am an akokite because UNILAG is a school with a difference and the nation's pride.

Tell them o..

95% of Covenant University graduates I know all had their masters degree from UNILAG or UI.

Whereas most UNILAG graduates I know had theirs from Schools abroad in US and Canada. Some direct PhD programmes.

Why can't they stay in their private schools to get MSc and PhD

2 Likes

Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by EdoBoy90(m): 8:36pm On Dec 31, 2017
SoldierBoy1:
Mediocre lecturers ke?.... When my Machine Design lecturer is Prof Adekoya from OAU, advanced thermodynamics :FUTA Prof..... Most of our lecturers are products of you guys system since private universities came into existence about 18yrs ago with Igbinedion being the first. I be Landmark guy.

Mechanical Engineer spotted.
Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by Nobody: 8:36pm On Dec 31, 2017
Most public universities are breed cultism, nepotism. Lecturers bully students by failing them unnecessary, they rarely come to class to teach yet they are first to scream of non payment if the government withheld their salaries

2 Likes

Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by Nobody: 8:37pm On Dec 31, 2017
I attended a public university and I turned out not too bad. Covenant is definitely one of the top universities in Nigeria.
However during Masters at a UK University I had 5 colleagues who graduated from Covenant and all 5 of them were drug addicts.

Coincidence? grin grin
Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by SoldierBoy1(m): 8:39pm On Dec 31, 2017
EdoBoy90:
Mechanical Engineer spotted.
yes oo Bro... Mech engine for life.

1 Like

Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by EdoBoy90(m): 8:43pm On Dec 31, 2017
The last time i checked, the covenant university is own by Pst. David Oyedepo, a public university graduate.

Pst. Christ Oyakhilomhe graduated from Public university. Pst. Anita Christ graduated from public university.

Tell me one private university established by a private university graduate?
Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by cooltola(m): 8:46pm On Dec 31, 2017
for those dissing private university, the final results speak very clear. Private Universities are more respected than public universities especially in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by walexsho(m): 8:46pm On Dec 31, 2017
darkid1:

The year I got into covenant , in my department , the average jamb score was 250, and many that wanted architecture that year and didn't have up to 260 and 45/60 in post UTME had to find some other department or school... Thats why you read the interviews with our best graduating students, learning that they had 300 and above in Jamb.

Acceptance fee in CU is paid long before fedral or state schools even start post jamb exams , so its not like they come because they were denied admission somewhere else .

Just this year, a course-mate of mines' sibling was denied Archie and computer engineering , was told at the admission office that he needed minimum 280 in jamb to make his BRQ sufficient enough to study those programmes

I dont know why you guys get all bitter and boil with rage , jumping into conclusion on matters you have absolutely no idea about... But then again, it only shows the kind of education received . smiley
I Initially thought those from private Universities are well groomed practically and not just theoretically not until I had my internship with some convenant University students at NAMA Ikeja, 2011
Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by EdoBoy90(m): 8:47pm On Dec 31, 2017
Imarnuel04:
I attended a public university and I turned out not too bad. Covenant is definitely one of the top universities in Nigeria.
However during Masters at a UK University I had 5 colleagues who graduated from Covenant and all 5 of them were drug addicts.

Coincidence? grin grin

Drug addicts right?

Where I am working currently, a guy came and served there and he was retained. He is my name's sake.

He graduated from Maldona university. The last time I asked of him by his close friend, he told me he is into drugs.
Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by Nobody: 8:50pm On Dec 31, 2017
Alariiwo:

Tell them o..

95% of Covenant University graduates I know all had their masters degree from UNILAG or UI.

Whereas most UNILAG graduates I know had theirs from Schools abroad in US and Canada. Some direct PhD programmes.

This is completely erroneous. The vast majority of CU grads actually travel outside the country for PG bros. Only a few ever stay back for anything. Mind you there are plenty ppl also doing PG in Covenant who are from UI.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by EdoBoy90(m): 8:50pm On Dec 31, 2017
cooltola:
for those dissing private university, the final results speak very clear. Private Universities are more respected than public universities especially in Nigeria.

Public university graduates own your private universities.

Public university graduates are innovative and creative for nursing the ideas that established the private university you attended and produced you.
Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by chalsixtus(m): 8:51pm On Dec 31, 2017
Their libraries are usually deficit of good books and the ones available are usually torn."

Op pls visit Uniport
We have a gas turbine we generate our electricity!
Visit Donald Ekong library Uniport and catch a glimpse of what q standard library looks like
Sorry the books are not torn !
Also go and check out IPS and Emerald Energy institute Uniport one of the best Energy institutes in west Africa with affiliation to IFP france.

You are only stereotyping , That's the lie you've been told anyways

1 Like

Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by Nobody: 8:51pm On Dec 31, 2017
walexsho:

I Initially thought those from private Universities are well groomed practically and not just theoretically not until I had my internship with some convenant University students at NAMA Ikeja, 2011
The ones you had contact with must have not been paying attention in school.

1 Like

Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by chalsixtus(m): 8:54pm On Dec 31, 2017
EdoBoy90:

Public university graduates own your private universities.

Public university graduates are innovative and creative for nursing the ideas that established the private university you attended and produced you.

Which makes them by-products of Public universities �
Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by chalsixtus(m): 8:58pm On Dec 31, 2017
Imarnuel04:

Coincidence? grin grin

Lol
Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by EdoBoy90(m): 9:02pm On Dec 31, 2017
chalsixtus:

Which makes them by-products of Public universities �

Yes ooo. You know what by-producst mean during manufactuturing in Engineering.

"Don't know want to say it make dem no finish me"

I pulse for here ooo
Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by chalsixtus(m): 9:06pm On Dec 31, 2017
EdoBoy90:

Yes ooo. You know what by-producst mean during manufactuturing in Engineering.

"Do know want to say it make dem no finish me"

I pulse for here ooo

Lol make I hold that one first , I know they are coming
Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by COOLHOMIE(m): 9:10pm On Dec 31, 2017
I am not that rich to attend a private university I will work hard in my public university and make a difference in the society cool

2 Likes

Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by onegig(m): 9:10pm On Dec 31, 2017
See the ignorant set of people arguing against Private Unis. If I have someone who's seeking admission and funds aren't an issue. I would advise them to choose a private University or prolly any of those new generation state Universities that provide quality service and don't go on strike.

The number of years you spend languishing at home because of strike and the archaic style of teaching Public universities employ would do you not a single good.

While you are out there forming street pikin with your Public University education graduating at 27; a kid who attends a private University and finished high school at 16 is done with B.Sc by 20.

He enters the same job market as you; and while you are still a supervisor by the age of 35 he is already a manager at that age. Getting to supervisory role for you by 35 is even based on you getting the job in the first place because of age restrictions. Just take a look through most job adverts and see that graduate trainee or entry level positions require candidates to be less than 24 in almost all postings. That's when you know attending a public University and spending useless long years because of strike or a Lecturer with a snag with you delyaing you is actually short changing yourself.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by gamechanger1: 9:23pm On Dec 31, 2017
Guys, there is no need to project superiority ; public or private. Our society is the problem, decadence everywhere you look. What we should do is keep an open mind, accept that there are pros and cons to both the private and public universities and make the best of wherever you find yourself. One thing I have come to understand is this : ultimately success or failure are both available to you. People from all sorts of backgrounds (educated/uneducated, enlightened/unenlightened, rich/poor, privileged/unprivileged,) fail and succeed. Go out there and take your destiny in your hands, and God will bless your hustle. Have a prosperous New year and a fulfilled life

2 Likes

Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by EdoBoy90(m): 9:25pm On Dec 31, 2017
chalsixtus:

Lol make I hold that one first , I know they are coming

Going to crossover night service because I know they are actually coming with vexation
Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by Nobody: 9:26pm On Dec 31, 2017
COOLHOMIE:
I am not that rich to attend a private university I will work hard in my public university and make a difference in the society cool
That's the spirit Sir
Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by Desyner: 9:27pm On Dec 31, 2017
EdoBoy90:
It is disheartening and an aberration that this what Nigerians can do to make Nigeria better, claiming superiority and inferiority over one another in Universities both in private and public

We can't put our ideas into practical terms that will affect the people's life.

For someone to take his or her previous time to put this down then I doubt the person educational background. Instead of you to bring quantum ideas on how to solve Nigerian problems, you
are lampooning universities. You went to school and make things better. But here, you have nothing to show for it but criticism.

If I may ask the OP,
1)What are your achievements? 2.1 or First Class is not an achievement because it is written on paper.
2) what have you been able to invent? How is your contributions to humanity?
3) If you academic achievement is not reflecting in the lives of people then you should keep quiet amd hide the private university you attended.

Nigerians are good in paper work that is theoritical work but not in practical work.

The last I checked, Mr. Seun graduated from a public University. You are using NL and claiming the best.

People like Mr. Falana, Barr. Mike Ozekhomhe, Ali Baba, Mr. Featus Keyamo, Prof. Charles Soludo, Prof. Pat Utomi and many more graduated from public universities

There is a thread on FP bashing private uni unjustly. I hope you asked these question there ?
Private uni grads don't feel insecure about public uni grads, it the other way round.

1 Like

Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by gamechanger1: 9:27pm On Dec 31, 2017
Guys, there is no need to project superiority ; public or private. Our society is the problem, decadence everywhere you look. What we should do is keep an open mind, accept that there are pros and cons to both the private and public universities and make the best of wherever you find yourself. One thing I have come to understand is this : ultimately success or failure are both available to you. People from all sorts of backgrounds (educated/uneducated, enlightened/unenlightened, rich/poor, privileged/unprivileged,) fail and succeed. Go out there and take your destiny in your hands, and God will bless your hustle. Have a prosperous New year and a fulfilled lifeGuys, there is no need to project superiority ; public or private. Our society is the problem, decadence everywhere you look. What we should do is keep an open mind, accept that there are pros and cons to both the private and public universities and make the best of wherever you find yourself. One thing I have come to understand is this : ultimately success or failure are both available to you. People from all sorts of backgrounds (educated/uneducated, enlightened/unenlightened, rich/poor, privileged/unprivileged,) fail and succeed. Go out there and take your destiny in your hands, and God will bless your hustle. Have a prosperous New year and a fulfilled lifeGuys, there is no need to project superiority ; public or private. Our society is the problem, decadence everywhere you look. What we should do is keep an open mind, accept that there are pros and cons to both the private and public universities and make the best of wherever you find yourself. One thing I have come to understand is this : ultimately success or failure are both available to you. People from all sorts of backgrounds (educated/uneducated, enlightened/unenlightened, rich/poor, privileged/unprivileged,) fail and succeed. Go out there and take your destiny in your hands, and God will bless your hustle. Have a prosperous New year and a fulfilled life

1 Like

Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by Desyner: 9:29pm On Dec 31, 2017
SoldierBoy1:
Mediocre lecturers ke?.... When my Machine Design lecturer is Prof Adekoya from OAU, advanced thermodynamics :FUTA Prof, metallurgy (Prof Oki from UNIPORT), Automobile systems design (Dr Uguru-Okorie product of FUTO) etc..... Most of our lecturers are products of you guys system since private universities came into existence about 18yrs ago with Igbinedion being the first. I be Landmark guy.
Thank you. They keep shooting themselves in the leg because of hate, forgetting that most lecturers in the private uni are public uni grads.

1 Like

Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by Gotze1: 9:32pm On Dec 31, 2017
Statsocial:

Eleyi brutal gan o

Well Covenant university has always been the first University to matriculate students for each new academic sessions in Nigeria for over Five-Ten years now. CU screening was done in June/July this year and when WAEC was released in August/September the admission list came out in same September.

The 2017/2018 CU matriculation was done in October 2017 with 40% of total applicants admitted, Of which 90% of total applicants are usually first time jambites of about 15-17 years of age. Babcock, ABUAD and Landmark also did their matriculations in November 2017. That says something crucial about those four universities-they are not waiting for Public University "left overs" and their students were not interested in public universities to begin with.

However most other private universities don't get enough students and have to wait till next year when public universities would have bounced a lot of ppl who would then seek Private Unis. So the argument of Ppl going to private universities when they are not able to get into public ones is only relevant to private universities like Samuel adegboyega, lead city, kolaidaisi, Christopher uni, McPherson uni, Acheivers uni and lately Igbinedion.

Private Universities like Covenant, AUN, Landmark, ABUAD, Baze, Babcock are known brands who get more than enough applications than they need.

I Graduated from Covenant and I would proceed to University of Luxembourg for Masters in Wealth Creation. I would choose Hebron now, again and again forever if I had to do it again.

Cc Chiefolododo
No wonder you are defending covenant university up and down. Oga, you are pointless, all private universities are for those that couldn't get admitted into public universities. Stop defending indefendable. I have a guy in covenant right now, he pnly went there when he could not secure admission into OAU and Futa respectively. Na him parent money kill am.
Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by arena07: 9:32pm On Dec 31, 2017
Alariiwo:

Tell them o..

keep quiet majority of private universities graduates dominates foreign universities for their post graduates especially US,Canada and UK compare to public universities grads

1 Like

Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by Gotze1: 9:34pm On Dec 31, 2017
Statsocial:

Not true at all!
Covenant University Architecture Dept admitted about 12 students who had over 300 in jamb, the majority of applicants where between 250-300, Same for Mech, Comp Science, Accounting et al-I had a peek at the records when i went for my Sister's CUSAS( who by the way didn't get in with over 230 in Jamb and 32/60 in CUSAS for a social science course) simply because her WAEC wasn't released at the normal time. She's now in Landmark anyways.....

By the way some of the calibre of parents(some in convoys) I saw dropping their kids for CUSAS would get their wards into Unilag with 201 in Jamb. Is it the former VC of Unilag, DG of FRSC, Commissioner of Health of one state in SS or NUC former boss or Obasanjo's close Nephew that would find it hard to enroll their kids into public universities.

But well believe what you believe if it makes you happy cheesy

You can lie for africa.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Whatsapp Group For Jamb 2015/2016 and your university stats / Perewari Victor Pere Graduates With 1st Class From Lincoln University / Ayatu Momoh: Federal Poly Offa Lecturer Slumps And Dies In Kwara (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.