Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,184 members, 7,811,470 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:17 PM

Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University (22957 Views)

See The Public University In Nigeria Where Electricity Runs 24/7 (photos) / 5 Reasons You Shouldn't Attend A Private University / Which Public University Is The Best In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by Desyner: 10:30am On Jan 01, 2018
Caseless:
and the lecturers in private universities are from public universities . NUC is 100% public and filled with people from public universities, that's where your private universities take order from.
But everything in private uni is 'trash' according to insecure public uni grads.

1 Like

Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by Caseless: 10:33am On Jan 01, 2018
Desyner:
But everything in private uni is 'trash' according to insecure public uni grads.
I have nothing against the private universities , but we all know how they operate. But for someone to come up with this kind of flawed assessment shows he's begging for more bad books to be opened for the private universities.
Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by asunmoGGMU(m): 10:55am On Jan 01, 2018
Statsocial:

Eleyi brutal gan o

Well Covenant university has always been the first University to matriculate students for each new academic sessions in Nigeria for over Five-Ten years now. CU screening was done in June/July this year and when WAEC was released in August/September the admission list came out in same September.

The 2017/2018 CU matriculation was done in October 2017 with 40% of total applicants admitted, Of which 90% of total applicants are usually first time jambites of about 15-17 years of age. Babcock, ABUAD and Landmark also did their matriculations in November 2017. That says something crucial about those four universities-they are not waiting for Public University "left overs" and their students were not interested in public universities to begin with.

However most other private universities don't get enough students and have to wait till next year when public universities would have bounced a lot of ppl who would then seek Private Unis. So the argument of Ppl going to private universities when they are not able to get into public ones is only relevant to private universities like Samuel adegboyega, lead city, kolaidaisi, Christopher uni, McPherson uni, Acheivers uni and lately Igbinedion.

Private Universities like Covenant, AUN, Landmark, ABUAD, Baze, Babcock are known brands who get more than enough applications than they need.

I Graduated from Covenant and I would proceed to University of Luxembourg for Masters in Wealth Creation. I would choose Hebron now, again and again forever if I had to do it again.

Cc Chiefolododo

For your second and third paragraphs (that is if I categorized your opening one-liner as a paragraph), do you know anything about KWASU?
They probably have the fastest admission process. So, that is one variance and can deflect your argument. So, stop asserting when you have partial knowledge.

By the way, I know CU is doing just fine. Meanwhile, I don't know some Public-Private universities war has started on nairaland.
Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by asunmoGGMU(m): 11:09am On Jan 01, 2018
Alariiwo:
Ok..

But public universities in Nigeria came before private ones..

So you mean all your lecturers and Professors that graduated from OAU, UNILAG, UI, ABU etc.. are criminals?

Education is not for everybody, sadly the rejects of those Ivy league schools get admitted to private unis where they buy their way through.
The least any dullard can get in private uni is 2:1. I lie?

Go to public schools and see pass, expelled etc. Better thank your stars you have money to buy first class.

Baba, they can call public uni anything but deep inside most of them know that this you say is a fact. However, education don't need to be unnecessarily make hard and the standard don't need to be water down too.
Not all private uni students are dull.

Meanwhile, I met some Al-hikmah graduates in NYSC camp, those folks are examples of who a graduate should not be. You will find same of some public university graduates too.
Yes, you will find great in both divide too. However, I believe public universities are grooming ground for only those that can stand the test of time and frustration. They are mostly strong-willed.

Above all, this dick-measuring contest is needless. In Nigeria, ours are substandard universities across both private and public universities.
Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by bionixs: 11:31am On Jan 01, 2018
millionboi2:
Drop your jamb result make we see.

Jamb forced u into private uni.
my result as incoming chairman of the board or what?

1 Like

Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by Damianobi(m): 12:01pm On Jan 01, 2018
Statsocial:

Not true at all!
Covenant University Architecture Dept admitted about 12 students who had over 300 in jamb, the majority of applicants where between 250-300, Same for Mech, Comp Science, Accounting et al-I had a peek at the records when i went for my Sister's CUSAS( who by the way didn't get in with over 230 in Jamb and 32/60 in CUSAS for a social science course) simply because her WAEC wasn't released at the normal time. She's now in Landmark anyways.....

By the way some of the calibre of parents(some in convoys) I saw dropping their kids for CUSAS would get their wards into Unilag with 201 in Jamb. Is it the former VC of Unilag, DG of FRSC, Commissioner of Health of one state in SS or NUC former boss or Obasanjo's close Nephew that would find it hard to enroll their kids into public universities.

But well believe what you believe if it makes you happy cheesy

Oga hope this has been lying skills didn't enter 2018 with you.
Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by Desyner: 12:10pm On Jan 01, 2018
asunmoGGMU:

Baba, they can call public uni anything but deep inside most of them know that this you say is a fact. However, education don't need to be unnecessarily make hard and the standard don't need to be water down too.
Not all private uni students are dull.

Meanwhile, I met some Al-hikmah graduates in NYSC camp, those folks are examples of who a graduate should not be. You will find same of some public university graduates too.
Yes, you will find great in both divide too. However, I believe public universities are grooming ground for only those that can stand the test of time and frustration. They are mostly strong-willed.

Above all, this dick-measuring contest is needless. In Nigeria, ours are substandard universities across both private and public universities.
It is funny how at nursery, primary and secondary school level private school students beat their public counterparts hands down, but at university level where lecturer attitude, library, environment is run down public unis beats the private unis. Keep decieving yourself.

1 Like

Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by asunmoGGMU(m): 12:23pm On Jan 01, 2018
Desyner:
It is funny how at nursery, primary and secondary school level private school students beat their public counterparts hands down, but at university level where lecturer attitude, library, environment is run down public unis beats the private unis. Keep decieving yourself.

I hope you can read well? Cos I didn't place one above the other but reeled out my opinions. I am not here for that nonsense. I have a bro undergoing his PhD in CU and I have friend who lectures there too. That has inform me of what is obtainable there. I am not passing judgement here, so dnt lump me into that BS.
Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by Greenbullet(m): 12:30pm On Jan 01, 2018
joshuakdboy:

write like a private university graduate
I can , but I choose to identify myself with the uneducated majority, most of them cannot comprehend simple English, what is the essence of communication if one party cannot understand the other, abeg brother, if you English price fish for market , na tuna you go buy oo grin
Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by Nobody: 12:59pm On Jan 01, 2018
asunmoGGMU:

For your second and third paragraphs (that is if I categorized your opening one-liner as a paragraph), do you know anything about KWASU?
They probably have the fastest admission process. So, that is one variance and can deflect your argument. So, stop asserting when you have partial knowledge.

By the way, I know CU is doing just fine. Meanwhile, I don't know some Public-Private universities war has started on nairaland.
Bro it is absolutely not possible for Kwasu to have a faster calendar than Covenant. Covenant 100 level of 2017 has already done first semester exams by November 2017...

2 Likes

Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by Nobody: 1:10pm On Jan 01, 2018
poyebad:

Abeg free that ranking adacadabra o!
Private universities cook things up and they bribe like mad. From a very reliable source (and I go see for myself) ABUAD wey no get anything...sisi, nada for their preclinical laboratories, they collect FULL MDCAN and NUC accreditation! Why? Money don change hands. Whereas, go to EKSU preclinical laboratories, you would think you were in US with the state-of-the-art equipment...and still for years dem no smell accreditation...Why? Because public universities don't bribe their way out like Private Universities who have a point to prove.

Go to ABUAD and CU, you will find individuals who received their PhD in the last three (3) years who have been made professors now, just because such dubious promotions to the professorial rank and their undeserved accreditation status ranks them high... The Provost of College of Law for ABUAD, she never finish the PhD she started years ago...guess what? She is a professor. Covenant University recently dubiously promoted three lecturers into professorial cadre...Loto, Ada, and Evans. Ada got a PhD in 2013 and was until recent promotion lecturer 1 while CU lists her as Assistant Professor. Loto got a PhD in 2014 after joining CU in 2013 as lecturer 1. Between 2012 and 2017 when he was reported to author 77 publications most of which were sole authorship (quite discouraged in most academic settings) or with his dad. Evans on his own was Senior Lecturer until being so hurriedly promoted. The world over there is no other place where these dubious mediocrity is being promoted as accepted scholarly phenomena except in Nigerian private universities. In the West you do not even stand a chance, in most cases, of landing a lecturing job if all you have is a PhD degree... You have to have bagged years of postdoctoral experience in different research groups (preferably) before you get an academic contract... In Nigerian private institutions however, individuals who cannot even stand up and beat their chests that their PhD work was up to 30% their own are being made professors in just two years. The Provost of College of Medicine of ABUAD got his PhD in 2012 and by 2014, and with publication record insufficient to be considered for lecturer 1 in public universities, was made a Professor!
That is simply outrageous. No wonder they continue producing academic midgets while the private universities go about looking for any form of recognition including spurious ranking, just to stay in business. Even wealthy kids that are academically sound and sure of themselves prefer to attend universities like UI, OAU etc just to prove their worth.

We should stop celebrating mediocrity in Nigeria. You cannot have the kind of half-baked-fast-promotion professors in private universities and expect the students to be any better than the impostors that sire them.

This post is not meant to be insulting, it's meant to be in defence of true scholarship. Not the type you think you have to pay millions of naira to get, only to come out with a piece of paper and overbloated sense of your own worth. A worth that doesn't even exist.
Lol you obviously don't know what you are talking about. The professorial cadre can't be unanimously awarded by a University. A University presents and external accessor's eventually confirm. Also, Professorship is not a qualification but a Rank-A university gains nothing in promoting unworthy candidates to the professorate. Especially since it would bloat the wage bill.

2 Likes

Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by Nobody: 1:17pm On Jan 01, 2018
Caseless:
Mirand606, you've shown why we shouldn't go to private university in trying to show us why we should avoid public ones. You indeed attended a miracle center university to be this poor at analysis.
Lol who is begging you to attend one.... People who are far wealthier, influential than you are attend there.

The children of your govt officials attend there over your public universities. Go tell your story to Fayose who schooled his Son in a private university or go tell your story to Adeleke who schooled his son in a private university. The govt officials that owns public universities are schooling their kids in foreign and private Unis yet you want to come here and talk nonsense.

That same govt of yours that own UI,ABU, UNN etc spent 160 million to fund Chibok girls education over there in AUN

So why would anyone care about where you decide to study.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by asunmoGGMU(m): 1:32pm On Jan 01, 2018
Statsocial:

Bro it is absolutely not possible for Kwasu to have a faster calendar than Covenant. Covenant 100 level of 2017 has already done first semester exams by November 2017...

Same thing in KWASU. You can confirm.
Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by Nobody: 2:19pm On Jan 01, 2018
asunmoGGMU:

Same thing in KWASU. You can confirm.
So as kwasu done matriculation?
Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by Nobody: 2:31pm On Jan 01, 2018
poyebad:

You're seriously masturba.ting yourself to sleep, and your dying brain cells are having a hard time reviving.
You must be high on cheap Ilesha weed.

Gerrara hia.
Private university ko, glorified primary schools where lecturers wipe students' buttocks after they poo...like in CU, ABUAD...
Is that one a school, where you build slaves? Most private university students are unable to be useful to their own selves. Imagine a school where students can not cook, cannot choose not to attend religious meetings, cannot hold their heads up and boldly declare their opinions in public...'cos if they do, Bishop would literally slap the hell out of them, or Bowen would make them all kneel down for a decade... Is that one a school where over 90 % of their students population are drug addicts..? If you doubt that, ask any student or lecturer who has been at ABUAD for a while. A school where students are on permanent lockdown...where students are not allowed to make their own mistakes and learn from them...

Private university education in Nigeria is poo. Including Covenant University. Yes, you heard me.

Universities are places where you not just get a certificate and get a chance to compete in life, it is also a place where you pick up essential social and relational and personal attributes. Go to OAU, UI, UNILAG, UNN...etc

Universities are places where you not just get a certificate and get a chance to compete in life, it is also a place where you pick up essential social and relational and personal attributes. Go to OAU, UI, UNILAG, UNN...etc

You see this is the problem of most Nigerians, they don't understand the purpose of a university and when some of you try to explain it, you simply make a mess of it.

The functions of a University is to CREATE, INNOVATE and EDUCATE. It is actually not necessarily meant to be a place to pick social, relational and personal attributes. It is a Citadel of Knowledge where Knowledge and Understanding is vigourously sought and impacted to learners.

There is no rigid definition of how a University system can or should be. It could be Conservative or Liberal depending on the Culture that contextualized the University. Oral Roberts, Leeward, King Fahd Universities are examples of excellent universities built on Conservatism and have excellent graduates nonetheless. In all the important thing is not whether you socialized well in school but that you learnt whatever academic course you applied for satisfactorily.

Lastly Private Universities do not impede on Your Relational skills in any way, shape or form.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by asunmoGGMU(m): 2:41pm On Jan 01, 2018
Statsocial:
So as kwasu done matriculation?
Yes, they have done that since.
Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by Gotze1: 2:55pm On Jan 01, 2018
arena07:
with all your shouting upanda you can't differentiate between taught and thought..... You are a disgrace to public universities
Oh, i thought you wanted to correct my bad english, didn't know it is only the typo error you see. You just disgraced yourself as a private university undergraduate or grad. Nomatter how you try hard, you can't beat a public unicersity students in book and snartness. Mind that.

1 Like

Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by arena07: 3:02pm On Jan 01, 2018
Gotze1:
Oh, i thought you wanted to correct my bad english, didn't know it is only the typo error you see. You just disgraced yourself as a private university undergraduate or grad. Nomatter how you try hard, you can't beat a public unicersity students in book and snartness. Mind that.
what makes you think i finished from private universities? Lol so anybody that go against the gibberish you have been spewing since that means the person finished from private universities?ones again it is smartness not snartness
Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by arena07: 3:03pm On Jan 01, 2018
Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by aRmork1ng: 5:44pm On Jan 01, 2018
It's pointless to argue over which is better - private or public. Life is what you make of it, and people face different limitations: financial barriers keep some people from private institutions, while others struggle to meet qualification requirements for public unis. For the record, I went to a public university, and can tell you that making things unnecessarily difficult does not add any inherent value. Furthermore, the JAMB exam is sometimes so poorly administered that it cannot be relied upon as an accurate assessment of ability. However, I am not backing any horse in this race.

It is so easy to miss the point of education - beyond equipping oneself to add value to society, it is about learning how to learn. University education sets you up for a lifetime of learning, and this is not referring to the acquisition of advanced degrees. So, instead of getting caught up in the composition and features of a tool, it would be better to simply use it and use it well. If you apply yourself, pursue a bold vision and maintain a solid work ethic, you are very likely to do interesting things. Isn't that what matters??

3 Likes

Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by Nobody: 9:28pm On Jan 01, 2018
havilahconsults:

Imagine a school that just started using their portal two years ago? They have poor record taking. Then, you couldn't even know your GP and sometimes, it takes over a year for lecturers to release results. The list is endless. I know many that left the school for other federal and state universities and they performed better academically. I lost touch with the school two years ago so I can't speak for now.

Hmmn, that's really bad
Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by Nobody: 12:41am On Jan 02, 2018
asunmoGGMU:

Yes, they have done that since.
Wow! I checked and saw that they have done matric in November. I am really impressed! Although CU still did her own at October but mehn Kwasu is really trying. I'm really impressed.
Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by veykey: 8:35am On Jan 02, 2018
Ok I was in Babcock but had issues in school and now currently in Uniport. I must admit that private universities are far better than that of the public. Public universities graduates like to think that they are more matured but that is a big lie. Maturity is not based on the university one attends but on ones environment, who you surround yourself with, etc. Having tasted the two systems I can stand my ground anywhere. But everyman to his/her opinion.

3 Likes

Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by excelsiorfarm(m): 11:57am On Jan 02, 2018
Both have their advantages & disadvantages. The people are the product of both & it clearly shows in our society.
Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by wane01(m): 1:36pm On Jan 02, 2018
hello who knows how good unilag is with system engineering
Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by walexsho(m): 3:07pm On Jan 02, 2018
Gotze1:
I am a mechanical engineering graduate from lautech. So all those courses you mentioned was what i did in school.

I sight a Great Ladokite
Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by darkid1(m): 8:49pm On Jan 03, 2018
muzeze77:
I graduated from uniben, chose uniben because I wanted to compete with the best, when I entered uniben in 1995 it was the school that people desired the most, how can you attend a private school and say you are competing with the best when the poor cannot afford those schools. I finished from a very good secondary school and in uniben I schooled and competed with students that finished from local schools, on the issue of criminality it's everywhere , no school teaches crime. I will never consider private uni if given a chance I was in yabatech for same reason I wanted to compete with the best. When I came to states I wanted to enroll in university of Maryland a public school but I was not admitted which is the only reason I now had to do my masters at a private university, stop fooling yourself a private uni cannot compare to a public

1995 you say... Such a long time ago if you ask me , considering most of these school started in the early 2000s, I am yet to see your intelligent point here, SIR.

You make statements that have no backing or iota of personal experience . This is the problem i have with many of you public school graduates on this thread. I would asume someone who has passed through the accademic community would know better to cite and give references . But no, your arguement is simply based on personal feelings and assumptions .

Part of being educated is Learing , and relearning and unlearning somethings. You show as someone simply not interested in that.

If you have the money , or cant afford the ivy leauge (private schools by the way) abroad, please opt for a good private institution in Nigeria (my opinion).

1 Like

Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by SammieJayh(m): 2:46am On Jan 04, 2018
Gotze1:
No wonder you are defending covenant university up and down. Oga, you are pointless, all private universities are for those that couldn't get admitted into public universities. Stop defending indefendable. I have a guy in covenant right now, he pnly went there when he could not secure admission into OAU and Futa respectively. Na him parent money kill am.

But he passed jamb while applying to OAU and FUTA ryt?
Did he also pass jamb b4 applying to CU?
Did CU accept him with below 200?

I've never scored below 200 in jamb, yet I've been bounced for 3 consecutive years...cz most of your useless public schools can't accept enough students...

They then resort to shortchanging the qualified candidates(under the guise of yeye quota system and catchment area) for some bunch of nitwits who can't even answer a question correctly when they write post utme...
I guess you heard about the unilag scandal and how they had to withdraw their admissions list... Even almighty UI withdrew theirs...

And you're telling me not to look to private schools where I can get my admission justly?
My 283 jamb score was wasted last year...I'm not ready to take chances this year...

It's private schools all the way...I didn't even consider any of those shitty public schools while filling my new jamb form...

I could post pictures of OAU's anglomoz hostel...imagine subjecting humans to the life of pigs...and cattles; bed bug ridden piece of shit...
I barely sat in Awo hall's buttery for 30minutes before begbugs kissed my skin...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by SammieJayh(m): 3:15am On Jan 04, 2018
Those hating on the likes of CU, ABUAD, LMU, AUN, Babcock and a few others are just insecure people who are either neanderthals, can't/couldn't afford them, or just pure sadists...

God knows if I'll raise my kids in this shitpile country(I don't pray to)...they'll all attend private universities.
All my younger siblings and cousins will attend private unis(except they decide not to)...so they don't have to write jamb over and over again like that's their sole purpose in life.

Now people see the number of times they've written jamb as an achievement(some will say "I dne write jamb like 3 times", another will say "that one na smalls na, na the 6th one we dey so"wink.

Not to talk of sadistic lecturers; whose sole purpose in life is to keep issuing carryovers like they get a bonus package for each carryover given; oh yes, they do...the students will either go to bribe them, give pvssy or threathen them with cultists and pass at the session's end...

I'm not saying public schools are totally bad, but the cons(challenges of getting in, staying in and getting out successfully) far outweigh the pros(if there are any) cheesy grin

I'd rather go to a private uni where I know exactly when I'll be graduating then a public school that sees strikes as the keys to their demands...

1 Like

Re: Five Reasons Why You Shouldn't Attend A Public University by SammieJayh(m): 3:37am On Jan 04, 2018
Caseless:
and the lecturers in private universities are from public universities . NUC is 100% public and filled with people from public universities, that's where your private universities take order from.

Even Bob the builder(The executive Governor of Imo state) schooled his kids abroad, PMB's Zahra, and Yusuf schooled abroad..., his daughter Hannan(still in high school when I checked last) schools in the UK...

What does that say about Nigerian public education and the system?

Those supporting public universities should just name 1 to 5 public office holders whose kids have graduated from the public schools in the last 5-10years...

They're either schooled in the UK, USA, Canada or Nigerian Private Unis...

What does that say about the already dead system?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Whatsapp Group For Jamb 2015/2016 and your university stats / Perewari Victor Pere Graduates With 1st Class From Lincoln University / Ayatu Momoh: Federal Poly Offa Lecturer Slumps And Dies In Kwara (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.