Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,128 members, 7,818,381 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:59 PM

Yemen: 1000 Days Of War (pictures) - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Yemen: 1000 Days Of War (pictures) (590 Views)

Prisoners Of War (POW) (1) By Kingsley Ikponmwosa / Why God Of War Worked In Nigeria !!! / Earn #1000 Per Referral On Wema ALAT!!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yemen: 1000 Days Of War (pictures) by phayvoursky(m): 2:13pm On Dec 31, 2017
Sanaa, Yemen - One thousand days of war in Yemen: thousands killed, tens of thousands wounded, and millions pushed towards famine.

The humanitarian crisis in Yemen is entirely man-made, the result of three years of brutal violence and insidious tactics that continue to deprive millions of people of basic supplies and services.

A staggering 1.2 million civil servants haven't received their salaries in more than a year, leaving health, education, and sanitation services without the people and resources needed to keep them running. Public infrastructure has been damaged and homes destroyed, forcing more than three million to flee their homes, most with only what they can carry. People living in congested conditions have too little access to money, food, water and medicine.

Prices are up but purchasing power is down, forcing people to make difficult choices with the few resources they have - water or transport to hospital? Medicine or food?

Wednesday marks (20/12/2017) 1,000 days since the military coalition led by Saudi Arabia began bombing rebel forces who seized the capital, Sanaa, and other territory during a lightning-quick offensive.

Today, the Saudi-led coalition's ongoing blockade on commercial fuel is choking a struggling population, and obstructions from the Houthi rebel authorities within Yemen prevent what there is from reaching people.

As a result, water pumps are switched off, hospital generators stop running, the cost of transport is out of reach and 22.2 million people in Yemen now depend on humanitarian aid.

About 16 million people cannot access safe water or healthcare, 4.5 million children are at risk of losing access to education, 8.4 million Yemenis are close to starvation.

The following photo story collected from Yemen by the Norwegian Refugee Council sheds light on the devastating impact of the last 1,000 days on ordinary Yemenis.

sources: https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/inpictures/yemen-1000-days-war-171219132557456.html

https://truththeory.com/2017/08/19/31-pictures-prove-yemen-literally-hell-earth-right-now/

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/7011346

cc: lalasticlala
Re: Yemen: 1000 Days Of War (pictures) by phayvoursky(m): 2:15pm On Dec 31, 2017
Air strikes launched by the Saudi-led coalition have destroyed entire neighbourhoods in Sanaa and across Yemen. Yasser al Hibshi, 38, lost his house and three of his children in one of the first air raids. "I want to tell the world that we've had enough of the war. There is too much tragedy, so many families have been wiped out, for what? We hope that God will deliver Yemen and the Yemenis out of this situation." KARL SCHEMBRI/NRC/AL JAZEERA

Re: Yemen: 1000 Days Of War (pictures) by phayvoursky(m): 2:19pm On Dec 31, 2017
A man points at his house destroyed by air strikes in Sanaa. Destruction in the Yemeni capital is everywhere: houses, health centres, wedding halls, and even children's playgrounds have been targeted by the raids. KARL SCHEMBRI/NRC/AL JAZEERA

Re: Yemen: 1000 Days Of War (pictures) by phayvoursky(m): 2:20pm On Dec 31, 2017
A man walks by civilian houses destroyed in Sanaa. KARL SCHEMBRI/NRC/AL JAZEERA

Re: Yemen: 1000 Days Of War (pictures) by phayvoursky(m): 2:21pm On Dec 31, 2017
Ali Mothana Ali, 50, from al-Dhalea, was seriously wounded when his house was hit. "The air strike that hit my house, it caught me just outside my home. Shrapnel from the explosion hit me. I sustained facial injuries, splinters had to be extracted from my pelvis, and metal sliced off part of my leg. I survived because neighbours rushed me to a nearby village for treatment. With my injuries, I am disabled. I cannot work to feed my children. I am the only bread winner for my family, my oldest son is 10 years old." NUHA MOHAMMED/NRC/AL JAZEERA

Re: Yemen: 1000 Days Of War (pictures) by phayvoursky(m): 2:24pm On Dec 31, 2017
Fighting has also been fierce outside of Sanaa, displacing up to three million Yemenis across the country. Molok, from Saada, had to flee with her children and grandchildren together with 460 families when their neighbourhood was bombed more than two years ago. She has been living in an informal settlement in Houth ever since. ALVHILD STROMME/NRC/AL JAZEERA

Re: Yemen: 1000 Days Of War (pictures) by phayvoursky(m): 2:26pm On Dec 31, 2017
1 in 3 children are in the brink of starving to death. This is just one of them.

Re: Yemen: 1000 Days Of War (pictures) by phayvoursky(m): 2:30pm On Dec 31, 2017
The hypocritical world is lying here in Yemen. Saudi Arabia is committing the worst crimes of humanity in the world.

Re: Yemen: 1000 Days Of War (pictures) by phayvoursky(m): 2:32pm On Dec 31, 2017
Yemenu children affected by cluster bombs and siege

Re: Yemen: 1000 Days Of War (pictures) by phayvoursky(m): 2:34pm On Dec 31, 2017
One-year-old Fatima weighs 4.2kg. She was brought to al-Sabeen Hospital by her mother when she became unwell and developed a fever and has since been receiving care for acute malnutrition. Fatima is one of four children but failing to thrive like her older siblings. A collapsing economy and impediments to the movement of humanitarian supplies have left millions of Yemenis in urgent need of life-saving aid and protection. NUHA MOHAMMED/NRC/AL JAZEERA

Re: Yemen: 1000 Days Of War (pictures) by phayvoursky(m): 2:35pm On Dec 31, 2017
In this settlement outside Houth, Obaid, 9, (left) and his friend Modrek collect empty plastic bottles to sell for recycling. "If we collect one full, large bag, we get 150 Yemeni rials [US$0.60]," said Obaid. "I used to go to school. I like studying. But there is no school here." As the war continues, millions of children in Yemen, a country where only 60 percent of the population could read and write before the war, are deprived of an education.
NUHA MOHAMMED/NRC/AL JAZEERA

Re: Yemen: 1000 Days Of War (pictures) by phayvoursky(m): 2:36pm On Dec 31, 2017
Ahlam, 4, has spent two years in an informal settlement outside Houth in northern Yemen, living in extremely dire conditions. Her family fled from Saada in 2015 after their neighbourhood came under attack. ALVHILD STROMME/NRC/AL JAZEERA

Re: Yemen: 1000 Days Of War (pictures) by xxxtedyxxx(m): 2:40pm On Dec 31, 2017
War is not the way forward. I hope the warring factions in Nigeria gets a cue from this.
Re: Yemen: 1000 Days Of War (pictures) by phayvoursky(m): 2:40pm On Dec 31, 2017
A Yemeni boy stands in front of a damaged house in the village of Bani Matar, 43 miles West of Sanaa, on April 4, 2015. (Photo credit: MOHAMMED HUWAIS/AFP/Getty Images)

Re: Yemen: 1000 Days Of War (pictures) by phayvoursky(m): 2:42pm On Dec 31, 2017
Smoke and flames rise allegedly from Shiite Houthi rebels camps located on Faj Attan Hill and Aser mountain following an airstrike by the Saudi-led alliance on April 6, 2015 in the Yemeni capital Sanaa. (Photo credit: MOHAMMED HUWAIS/AFP/Getty Images)

Re: Yemen: 1000 Days Of War (pictures) by phayvoursky(m): 2:48pm On Dec 31, 2017
Yemenis gather near the rubble of houses near Sanaa Airport on March 31, 2015. (Photo credit: MOHAMMED HUWAIS/AFP/Getty Images)

Re: Yemen: 1000 Days Of War (pictures) by BiafraBushBoy(m): 3:21pm On Dec 31, 2017
And all what Arabic nations have the power for is Jerusalem! Including the president of President Buhari named Buhari.
Re: Yemen: 1000 Days Of War (pictures) by omowolewa: 3:48pm On Dec 31, 2017
Humm

(1) (Reply)

There Can Never Be Another Me In #bbnaija – Tboss Boasts Online / US Declares 29 Year Old Nigerian Man Wanted Over $560m Fraud / Ladies - Stop Disrespecting Your Self

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.