Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,421 members, 7,836,681 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 11:31 AM

How I Was Scammed By A Stranded Passenger - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / How I Was Scammed By A Stranded Passenger (826 Views)

How I Was Scammed In A Broad Day Light In Abuja. / White Man In Tears, Was Scammed By Nigerian Fraudsters / Man Commits Suicide After He Was Scammed Of 6 Months Visa By An Agent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How I Was Scammed By A Stranded Passenger by chnovpaul(m): 2:49pm On Dec 31, 2017
So this happened today. I hope someone learns from this.

I was at the car wash this morning, patiently waiting for my car to be washed. Not long after I arrived at the car wash, this guy walks in into the car wash and told me he needed my help. I was already becoming defensive and was about politely requesting him to walk away when he told me that he wasn't asking for money.

Okay then. Let's hear it. And that was when my terrible experience started.

He gave me a story of how he had lost his fanny pack containing his money and that he needed a ride home. How? He asked me to help him book for a taxi via Uber or Taxify. I was a bit skeptical, but because I had booked on behalf of friends in the past, and this guy appeared to be stranded and in desperate need of help, I obliged. Now, I'm wishing I didn't.

Anyways, I asked him for his destination, entered it into the app, and called in the next available taxi driver. The driver came in and I went to speak with the driver. I informed the driver that I didn't know the guy and that the guy will be responsible for paying for his ride, and the driver agreed.

About 20 minutes after, the driver called me that he couldn't find the passenger. What happened? He said the passenger had asked him to stop that he needed to quickly buy something. After waiting for about 10 minutes and the so-called passenger did not return, that was when he called me, and that was when I realized that I had been scammed.

At that point, I told the driver to end the trip, and that I was going to take the responsibility for my mistake "in helping someone in distress". After the driver ended the call, I went back to the Uber app and was waiting for the trip to be ended. One minute, 2 minutes, 3 minutes, the trip did not end, and then the car started moving.

I became a little desperate and I started calling the driver. He did not pick up. After three unreplied calls, I sent him messages that his decision to continue with the trip was his, and that whatever happens is his responsibility. I tried cancelling the trip via my Uber App, but it didn't work. I then notified Uber.

I continued to follow the trip till the car got to the destination, and the trip officially ended.

In my mind, I felt the driver and the passenger must have settled themselves and that it was all over. I was going to breathe a sigh of relief when I got a message from the driver, that the passenger and a friend who had come in pulled a gun on him at the destination and asked him to drive away. The driver told me that the passenger came back with a friend, and apologised and requested that the trip should continue, which he obliged to till they got to the destination. Now, he's telling me he doesn't know if he should call the police or not.

I had to respond, and then sent him a series of messages making it clear that I had already told him to end the trip when it was clear that the passenger could not be trusted. I had also made it clear then that his decision to continue the trip was his responsibility and not mine.

Anyways, the issue has been escalated to Uber, and we are waiting for an amicable resolution. I have screenshots of the messages we exchanged, and a video record of everything I had tried to do to end the trip immediately I realized that something was wrong.

However, I have learnt my lesson. It would take the grace of God for me to even listen to a stranger (esp. a Nigerian) asking for help again. Also, I have learnt never to book a trip on behalf of any body I don't truly know - not a colleague, acquaintance, much less a stranger.

I hope someone also learns a lesson or two.

1 Like

Re: How I Was Scammed By A Stranded Passenger by RoyalBlak007: 2:54pm On Dec 31, 2017
Maaaaáhhñnň!
... embarassed
Re: How I Was Scammed By A Stranded Passenger by jamex93(m): 3:00pm On Dec 31, 2017
Na wa o

Wen Ppl dey find better thing for life, some dey look for who to scam

Re: How I Was Scammed By A Stranded Passenger by Jagermeister(m): 3:03pm On Dec 31, 2017
Pulled a gun on the driver and he still had a phone in the end, yea right!

Nothing seems right here but if I'm wrong (which is highly unlikely), these punks pulled a real scamming bazaar on you.

I'm having to refrain from calling you a clumsy klutz, how would you have fallen for this from a total fukking stranger, it was an easy kill!

Well, you really haven't lost much.. Just a few hundred bucks.

Last day of the year and you got this; you be real fada Christmas grin

Hard luck my manchi. Better luck in 2018!
Re: How I Was Scammed By A Stranded Passenger by smulti(m): 3:03pm On Dec 31, 2017
Scam businesses are actually booming in Nigeria

Pastors = tithe scams

politicians = embezzlement scams

Yahoo Yahoo = love scams

agents = rental scams

agent 2 = visa scams

agent 3 = employment scams

slay king = marriage scams

slay queens = what's their specialization again

1 Like

Re: How I Was Scammed By A Stranded Passenger by DWJOBScom(m): 3:27pm On Dec 31, 2017
Nna men the story I don't doubt but I wonder what convinced you enough to book a ride for him?? Your decision not to pay is just fine as the the instruction to end the trip was given.
Re: How I Was Scammed By A Stranded Passenger by chnovpaul(m): 3:41pm On Dec 31, 2017
Jagermeister:
Pulled a gun on the driver and he still had a phone in the end, yea right!

Nothing seems right here but if I'm wrong (which is highly unlikely), these punks pulled a real scamming bazaar on you.

I'm having to refrain from calling you a clumsy klutz, how would you have fallen for this from a total fukking stranger, it was an easy kill!

Well, you really haven't lost much.. Just a few hundred bucks.

Last day of the year and you got this; you be real fada Christmas grin

Hard luck my manchi. Better luck in 2018!

Sh*t happens, right?

I've learnt my lesson and moved on. I pity the next stranger that comes with a story about some lost money...
Re: How I Was Scammed By A Stranded Passenger by chnovpaul(m): 5:09pm On Dec 31, 2017
Just to update:

I received a call from Uber asking for me to say my own side of the story, which I did, with emphasis on the fact that I had asked the driver to end the trip earlier on.

Nonetheless, the trip was refunded and the issue resolved, I believe.

Lessons learnt!

Cc: Mynd44
OAM4J
Re: How I Was Scammed By A Stranded Passenger by uboma(m): 5:18pm On Dec 31, 2017
A stranger approached me some days ago, wanting to ask for something.

I simply waved my hand to show that I was not interested.

He responded that he was not planning to ask for money.

But my instinct told me to continue on my way and not look back.

Reading your story, I am glad to have listened to my instinct.

1 Like

Re: How I Was Scammed By A Stranded Passenger by Jagermeister(m): 5:18pm On Dec 31, 2017
chnovpaul:

Sh*t happens, right?

I've learnt my lesson and moved on. I pity the next stranger that comes with a story about some lost money...

I can imagine bro. Better luck next time.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Facebook Slay Queen Called Out For 139k Debt / Xmas Craze: Popular Yahoo Boy Stabs Himself / OMG!! See What They Did To This Man For Stealing 58 Ladies’ Pants (PHOTO)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.