Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,757 members, 7,817,092 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:50 AM

Mistakes Public Universities Students Make - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Mistakes Public Universities Students Make (1792 Views)

Parents, Students Lament High ‘Acceptance Fee’ In Public Universities / George Weah Declares Tuition Free In Public Universities In Liberia / ASUU Rejects N500k School Fee Proposal For Public Universities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mistakes Public Universities Students Make by Nobody: 10:48pm On Dec 31, 2017
FOLLOWING THE FOOTSTEPS OF ELITES
You will see them claiming that their governors, ministers or some elites in the society graduated from public universities, so, they will do the same. But the mistake they are making is that you can't compare the Nigerian educational standard as at then to now. For example Mr Tom Ikimi, a former minister during Abacha's era and chieftain who graduated from ABU, said that as of the time he graduated, ABU could be compared to Harvard or Cambridge, but now you can't compare them together, a former minister of education and former governor of Kano state Mallam Ibrahim Shekarun, said that when he was in ABU, there were just 20 students in his department, but now there are more than 800 students in the same department. His daughter is now in Nigerian Turkish Nile University Abuja, a private university, he couldn't send his daughter to a public university, and as at that time, he was still the minister of education. Same thing applies to other public universities especially the first generation universities, OAU, UI, UNIBEN, UNN. can you mention any of the so called elites that attended public universities whose children are in public universities? They rather send their children to good private universities in Nigeria or abroad

JAMB
This is laughable, the public students say those who couldn't pass Jamb go to private universities. I will use my case as an example, in 2015 Jamb, I scored 298, which made me one of the best Jamb candidates as at that time, in fact I was number 48 in Nigeria out of 1.4 million people, I chose Federal University Lokoja, I chose the school because it was a new university, and they had modern facilities compared to OAU, UI, ABU, UNILAG, I am mentioning these schools because I have been to some and I have some friends who are there. And in the post utme in Federal University Lokoja, I scored 88 over 100, which made me the student with the highest score, and I was given admission on October 5th 2015, but I didn't go there, I chose a private university in Abuja, I won't mention the name of the University for personal reasons. The reason why I chose the University was because of the future I saw, the opportunities I saw, which I couldn't get in a public university, now I am in Europe doing an exchange program. Let me just stop here

1 Like

Re: Mistakes Public Universities Students Make by Nobody: 11:24pm On Dec 31, 2017
Seun or any moderator, push this to front page, this is a front page material
Re: Mistakes Public Universities Students Make by Riele(f): 1:46pm On Jan 01, 2018
It's a pity[b][/b][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font][color=#770077][/color] embarassed
Re: Mistakes Public Universities Students Make by babyfaceafrica: 6:13pm On Jan 01, 2018
You guys like trouble..
Re: Mistakes Public Universities Students Make by CivilzedTyger(m): 9:34pm On Jan 01, 2018
See as you talk like say life done better for you because you go private uni. I believe either private or public, success depends on the student

3 Likes

Re: Mistakes Public Universities Students Make by Nobody: 1:22am On Jan 02, 2018
We have debunked the issue of Jamb several times over. CU, Abuad, Babcock, landmark 100 level students are already done with matric and some are even done with first semester exams. When many public universities are still confused about their jamb process(kwasu exempted)
Re: Mistakes Public Universities Students Make by Ramwab94(m): 8:15am On Jan 02, 2018
Private or Public, University or Polytechnic, if you work hard and God talk say you go hammer, why won't you? Abeg success na success!!

1 Like

Re: Mistakes Public Universities Students Make by IFEOLUWAKRIZ: 8:50am On Jan 02, 2018
About our elite not sending their wards to public universities cannot be far from insecurity.. U don't expect Buhari to send his children to UI UNN or OAU...lolz they will just be kidnapped in a single day...private universities enjoy more security than public universities angry

1 Like

Re: Mistakes Public Universities Students Make by DrayZee: 9:33am On Jan 02, 2018
CivilzedTyger:
See as you talk like say life done better for you because you go private uni. I believe either private or public, success depends on the student
He went to Federal University Lokoja. Is that one a private university?
His point is that it's wrong to assume that people only go to private universities once they've failed jamb.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mistakes Public Universities Students Make by Nobody: 9:50am On Jan 02, 2018
Private universities although not all are far better than public universities in Nigeria. The lecturers in public universities behave anyhow
Re: Mistakes Public Universities Students Make by CivilzedTyger(m): 4:17pm On Jan 02, 2018
DrayZee:

He went to Federal University Lokoja. Is that one a private university?
His point is that it's wrong to assume that people only go to private universities once they've failed jamb.
Read again pls
Re: Mistakes Public Universities Students Make by DrayZee: 4:30pm On Jan 02, 2018
CivilzedTyger:
Read again pls
Right, made a mistake there.
He CHOSE University of Lokoja. Even though other, "better" public universities were around.
The point remains the same. It is wrong to assume that people only go to private universities once they fail jamb. Covenant University, for example does not take people with less than 200 in Jamb, even if you have a perfect score in their screening.
Re: Mistakes Public Universities Students Make by CivilzedTyger(m): 4:34pm On Jan 02, 2018
DrayZee:

Right, made a mistake there.
He CHOSE University of Lokoja. Even though other, "better" public universities were around.
The point remains the same. It is wrong to assume that people only go to private universities once they fail jamb. Covenant University, for example does not take people with less than 200 in Jamb, even if you have a perfect score in their screening.
But that is mostly the case, even if it's not always. I have friends schooling in Ghana because they didn't make jamb and can't afford private uni over here

2 Likes

Re: Mistakes Public Universities Students Make by DrayZee: 4:40pm On Jan 02, 2018
CivilzedTyger:
But that is mostly the case, even if it's not always. I have friends schooling in Ghana because they didn't make jamb and can't afford private uni over here
Right. But why should students of private universities who actually worked hard to get where they are, be insulted just because "that is mostly the case".
Then again, people like to jump into conclusions. I can't blame them. In the end, all that matters is individual effort.

1 Like

Re: Mistakes Public Universities Students Make by CivilzedTyger(m): 6:57pm On Jan 02, 2018
DrayZee:

Right. But why should students of private universities who actually worked hard to get where they are, be insulted just because "that is mostly the case".
Then again, people like to jump into conclusions. I can't blame them. In the end, all that matters is individual effort.
Now we reach an agreement. I said earlier, it doesn't matter the owners of the school you attend. What matters is you the student.
Re: Mistakes Public Universities Students Make by sodiqapril(m): 9:54pm On Jan 02, 2018
this article has the same usefulness as the p in psalm, all can see is another pointless anti public university blowing his trumpet.
Re: Mistakes Public Universities Students Make by Nobody: 12:42am On Jan 03, 2018
Dear op when next you choose a topic don't be generalistic
Re: Mistakes Public Universities Students Make by Ocheinstein(m): 8:37am On Jan 03, 2018
Bros!!! I don't have an issue with you going to whatever school your parents coukd afford. But you won't deny the fact that even with my 120 in jamb I can get admission into a private university in Nigeria. In this case, majority of those in private institutions have no paint of merit even to a dot. Quote me anywhere. Once again I am no hater! But you can't tell me that dividing 1 by 1,000,000 gives you a number plausible
Re: Mistakes Public Universities Students Make by Nobody: 10:08am On Jan 03, 2018
Ocheinstein:
Bros!!! I don't have an issue with you going to whatever school your parents coukd afford. But you won't deny the fact that even with my 120 in jamb I can get admission into a private university in Nigeria. In this case, majority of those in private institutions have no paint of merit even to a dot. Quote me anywhere. Once again I am no hater! But you can't tell me that dividing 1 by 1,000,000 gives you a number plausible
Pls apply to Covenant, Babcock or ABUAD with 120 lol. Them go use your post jamb money to dey alright but admission u no go smell.

1 Like

Re: Mistakes Public Universities Students Make by Ocheinstein(m): 10:38am On Jan 03, 2018
Story
Mirand606:

Pls apply to Covenant, Babcock or ABUAD with 120 lol. Them go use your post jamb money to dey alright but admission u no go smell.

(1) (Reply)

Breaking! Crisis In FUOYE As Student Battle Indigenes, 3 Dead [Pics] / Uniuyo Gst Term Paper / Redshift Render For Cinema 4d/3ds Max & MAYA Free Download

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.