Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,671 members, 7,809,537 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:59 AM

Jacko's DIARY- My Cross Over To Farming - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Jacko's DIARY- My Cross Over To Farming (2901 Views)

Every One Would Go Back To Farming / Ebook: Practical Guildlines To Farming. (1000+ Materials). / Coronavirus: A Menance To Farming, Farmers And A Threat To Food Security (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jacko's DIARY- My Cross Over To Farming by Ganyak(m): 5:38am On Apr 29, 2018
jackomagnus:
The project has resumed! cheesy
Just yesterday, I commissioned two people to spray the farm. They'd be using Paraquat at 0.75 litres/acre.

Earlier, I tried using a brush cutter: it was useless in this case! I had to consult the local farmers and that was their recommendation- either glyphosate or Paraquat.

The expectation is that say, four days after spaying, the bush should have dried out (dessication), then we burn them. Then we plant! cheesy

Pictures coming soon.
Re: Jacko's DIARY- My Cross Over To Farming by Ganyak(m): 5:41am On Apr 29, 2018
I am about to acquire a brush cutter. Pls, what makes the cutter useless in your farm.
Re: Jacko's DIARY- My Cross Over To Farming by Nobody: 2:51pm On Apr 29, 2018
what's ur take sir...I ll like to glean from ur experience... I want to do same here in kano
Re: Jacko's DIARY- My Cross Over To Farming by Silvereze(m): 3:55pm On Apr 29, 2018
jackomagnus:

The planter is about N29,000 and the thresher is about N5,000. This type of thresher is just a simple, cheap tool that will make work faster than using bare hands. Later on I will buy a bigger, real machine.

I really don't know the magic the shipping company wants to do but it might turn out that I will be asked to pay some more money in the end.

please Sir, I'll need the product link for both the planter and thresher. Thanks
Re: Jacko's DIARY- My Cross Over To Farming by jackomagnus(m): 8:36pm On Apr 29, 2018
The items are from alibaba.com
The prices were quoted by goodsexpress.com

They are both available here in Nigeria & I strongly advise you to buy within the country.

It turned out the prices were machine generated and they afterwards told me they do not buy from alibaba.com

Silvereze:

please Sir, I'll need the product link for both the planter and thresher. Thanks
Re: Jacko's DIARY- My Cross Over To Farming by jackomagnus(m): 8:39pm On Apr 29, 2018
There's a thick layer of previously dried weeds underneath the new bushy growth. It poses unsurmountable cutting problems for the brush cutter.

Ganyak:
I am about to acquire a brush cutter. Pls, what makes the cutter useless in your farm.
Re: Jacko's DIARY- My Cross Over To Farming by jackomagnus(m): 8:47pm On Apr 29, 2018
Well, that's why I started this thread; I want people to learn and I want to inspire others. wink

DavidLoves:
what's ur take sir...I ll like to glean from ur experience... I want to do same here in kano

1 Like

Re: Jacko's DIARY- My Cross Over To Farming by jackomagnus(m): 2:52am On May 14, 2018
The back-to-back rains had been quite an impediment to burning the bush.

So, I was on my way to burn the bush in the farm on Saturday, only to be stopped by security officials on the way: LG elections were going on and there's restriction of movement. angry

Yesterday Sunday, I geared up. On my way out of the house, the car's gear system collapsed. It's Sunday; no mechanic to help out. undecided

Looks like some Egba principalities are on this matter. Holy Ghost faya!

Today, this morning, I'll fix the car and zoom right there to start the burning. Hope rain will not fall before I'm done. Wish me luck wink
Re: Jacko's DIARY- My Cross Over To Farming by jackomagnus(m): 2:45am On May 15, 2018
Things didn't work as planned. Only very few of the weeds were killed and so, the burning was virtually impossible embarassed

I'm also out of funds so, I might just defer it till I have more funds. Hopefully by the end of this month cry
Re: Jacko's DIARY- My Cross Over To Farming by jackomagnus(m): 11:37am On May 25, 2018
A T T E N T I O N !
Re: Jacko's DIARY- My Cross Over To Farming by jackomagnus(m): 11:38am On May 25, 2018
I would like to correct an impression, please

I tried using the brush cutter again and it worked like magic! shocked

I think the problem I had about the cutting initially was with the technique rather than with the machine.

I can say for sure now that with the machine, one can do what a machete would do- and even more!

jackomagnus:
There's a thick layer of previously dried weeds underneath the new bushy growth. It poses unsurmountable cutting problems for the brush cutter.

Ganyak:
Re: Jacko's DIARY- My Cross Over To Farming by holuwabusayo(m): 6:02am On Jun 05, 2018
jackomagnus:
I would like to correct an impression, please

I tried using the brush cutter again and it worked like magic! shocked

I think the problem I had about the cutting initially was with the technique rather than with the machine.

I can say for sure now that with the machine, one can do what a machete would do- and even more!

I will also like to buy the brush cutter, I was also told that it has a weeder....
I hail Una oga jack
Re: Jacko's DIARY- My Cross Over To Farming by jackomagnus(m): 7:00pm On Jul 13, 2018
unfortunately, due to paucity of funds at this time, the project has had to be at a standstill. embarassed
Re: Jacko's DIARY- My Cross Over To Farming by excanny: 10:00pm On Jul 13, 2018
jackomagnus:
unfortunately, due to paucity of funds at this time, the project has had to be at a standstill. embarassed

How long did you lease this farmland?

And do you still intend to plant maize again. Seems the year is almost gone.

I would have suggested you start small like say 2 plots and perfect everything before going big as much as a hectare cos you have so many stuffs draining your finances.

I like your zeal tho.

3 Likes

Re: Jacko's DIARY- My Cross Over To Farming by jackomagnus(m): 7:07pm On Jul 14, 2018
thanks for your kind input.
I leased it for one year.
As it stands now, unless I get more funds, it's unlikely that I will be able to plant this year again.

the leased land is located quite far (19km) from my home. So I don't feel it is worth it doing anything less than a hectare. (if you get my point)

excanny:

How long did you lease this farmland?

And do you still intend to plant maize again. Seems the year is almost gone.

I would have suggested you start small like say 2 plots and perfect everything before going big as much as a hectare cos you have so many stuffs draining your finances.

I like your zeal tho.
Re: Jacko's DIARY- My Cross Over To Farming by jackomagnus(m): 9:31am On Feb 09, 2020
Guess what?

I'M BACK!!!

2 Likes

Re: Jacko's DIARY- My Cross Over To Farming by dailynaijanews(m): 3:21pm On Feb 09, 2020
jackomagnus:
Guess what?

I'M BACK!!!
welcome back.. Same land?
Re: Jacko's DIARY- My Cross Over To Farming by jackomagnus(m): 2:08am On Feb 12, 2020
No, a different land.

I will give updates as developments unfold

dailynaijanews:
welcome back.. Same land?

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Live And Farm On One Plot Of Land Commercially / Charcoal Briquettes(cheaper And Effective) / Who Can Supply Us Sheanuts. Specify Ur Price Per Tonne

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.