Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,615 members, 7,823,688 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:23 PM

Advice To Nairalanders And Moderators For 2018 - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Advice To Nairalanders And Moderators For 2018 (380 Views)

Send A Shoutout To Nairalanders That Made You Smile This Year / Send A Shoutout To Nairalanders That Made You Smile This Year / What Are Your New Year Resolutions For 2018? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Advice To Nairalanders And Moderators For 2018 by Nyceguy92: 8:49pm On Jan 01, 2018
I had wanted to adopt an attitude of "what is my business, after all they will do what they want to do anyway" before making this post.
Going by the type and nature of majority of posts on Nairaland in 2017, it has deteriorated immensely.
There was so much useless and irrelevant tid-bits that one wondered whether Nairaland has become a mere playground for loafers.
On virtually every occasion, I had to exit the front page as quickly as I opened it because there was little or nothing reasonable there.

I have a few words for everybody, including those whose duty it is to allow or refuse our threads/posts:

Everybody must not post something; read others if you don't have anything meaningful to post. There is no penalty for not creating a thread.
If your post does not satisfy the criteria to educate, inform, entertain, etc, please do not post.
There is no need overloading the cyberspace with trash: over a million threads, but only very few that are worthwhile.

Copy and Paste Journalism:
There is no harm in making references to other published articles but a situation where somebody just lifts up such articles verbatim onto Nairaland is a disgrace. The expectation is to edit and adopt such articles to the local environment.
A situation where one copied and pasted an article that talks about home improvement but leaves such terms as "attic", "basement", "fireplace", etc, shows one does not know what the article is saying even because these are not features of our building designs.

Dumb Threads:
Just to keep us busy, some guys create threads that ask dumb questions like " Will you marry a lady who can't cook?"
Or "Ladies, Will you Marry a Guy Who Earns 80K a Month?"
It beats me what the OP wants from readers.
But surprising, such threads get numerous responses, obviously from like minds.

Forbidden Words:
Threads that contain such words/ phrases as "slay," "cleavage," "loved up," "caption this picture," "throwback," "bikini," "...wore to Church...," etc, are a no-brainer ab initio. They only help in overloading the internet and should be discouraged.
Already, in this New Year, threads in like manner have already made it to the front page: https://www.nairaland.com/4263913/caption-photo-slay-mama-rocking.
https://www.nairaland.com/4263871/man-wrapped-same-towel-two.

Gorry Accident Scenes:
Pictures of accident scenes took up so much space last year.
Please, unless you are bringing such scenes here with enough detailed information to aid in location and identification of persons involved,
do not merely post pictures with "Accident Along Lokoja Road" and you end. We all know what accident scenes look like.

Money/Celebrity Worship:
Many threads last year idolised money and celebrities to the extent that the gullible ones begin to see themselves as failures and dream up every possible means to get rich.

Idle minds, they say, discuss people; why would somebody spend his or her time putting up pictures of some Warri businessman picking his teeth after breakfast with friends in his house, or some celebrity posing with a Mercedes G Wagon, or the cost in U.S dollars of his/her wristwatch, mostly purchased at Gucci Stores.

I am not against the recognition of hard work and achievemnts, but the manner it appears on Nairaland tends to lead people to evil pursuit.

Flag Button:
Some time in the past, I suggested the idea of a flag button whereby readers could flag threads they honestly think should not be allowed to stay could be deleted or self-delete after they have attracted a certain number of flags. That way, people will think twice before creating a thread or even making a post. This is the standard practice everywhere and I am surprised that managers of Nairaland have done nothing about it.

Moderators not Efficient:
Even Facebook and other big social media keep a fairly good track of materials on their websites and remove or block bad posts if need be before they see the light of the day. I put it to the moderators that they need to sit up and work harder. So much trash escape their watch onto the front page that should not be there, giving the impression that, that is what Nairaland is all about.

I have said it as I felt it. No one is under any obligation to take my advice or do as I say. But for me, if the status quo continues, I will quit.

(1) (Reply)

How To Scan Image And Extract Characters In It With Android Phone / Masquerade Uses Statue Of Jesus Christ For His Performance (see Photo) / Nigerian Woman Gives Birth On Plane

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.