Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,050 members, 7,821,619 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:48 PM

Strategy To Fight Poverty In Today’s Living - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Strategy To Fight Poverty In Today’s Living (2025 Views)

See The Different Headlines In Today's Sun Newspaper / US To Give Buhari $2.3bn To Fight Poverty / Photos: See What Gov.Kashim Shettima Did To Control Hunger And Poverty in Borno (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Strategy To Fight Poverty In Today’s Living by Rogo: 5:59pm On Feb 28, 2007
TOPIC: strategy to fight poverty in today’s living
World organizations, government and private sectors have being trying to fight poverty for so many years, up till now nothing has been done to put an end to it. I think fighting poverty from homes will be the best way rather than fighting in among the do well. “Man can’t solve what is not troubling him” and I also think unification of currency within the globe will help to solve this problem. Though, these are just suggestion. If anyone has strategy to fight the question above should post.
Re: Strategy To Fight Poverty In Today’s Living by abdkabir(m): 11:02pm On Feb 28, 2007
@Rogo,

it isn't that easy fighting poverty. @ least the World orgs,etc are doinig something.

I agree more has to be done and the Nigerian government has to be play a more proactive role in this regard.
Re: Strategy To Fight Poverty In Today’s Living by Nobody: 1:45am On Mar 06, 2011
nobody likes poverty [which btw is one of the reasons why scamming and 419 are so rampantly associated with nigerians].

growing up poor in nigeria wasnt an enviable experience, but in spite of it all, i dont think i have too many regrets about that time.

poor in the sense that you could count the number of cloths and shoes you had, no extravagances at all [i think my first one was buying myself a portable stereo, and i was wracked with guilt over why i hadnt given my mum the money instead. But i got over it the first hour or so after purchase. I needed my own player].

and on some occasions [yes, quite embarassing], you didnt always know where the next meal was coming from. Especially those times when salaries werent paid for months.

but remembering those periods, i dont really regret anything because maybe it was all in God's plan. My understanding now is better than it was then.

of course if i could do it over i'd be as rich as midas, and change some other aspects too, but well, if God didnt have a reason, none of it would have happened.

my opinion which might or might not change later.

but i agree the govt needs to do more about poverty alleviation.

it cant be eradicated, but at least made a bit more bearable.

people's mindset might also need to be changed to accept the fact that less can sometimes mean more.
Re: Strategy To Fight Poverty In Today’s Living by obowunmi(m): 2:06am On Mar 06, 2011
As long as capitalism exist, poverty must continue.
Re: Strategy To Fight Poverty In Today’s Living by Kobojunkie: 4:03am On Mar 06, 2011
^^ That is a copout!! Overused and silly considering what we know of poverty and the poor in the world we live in.
Re: Strategy To Fight Poverty In Today’s Living by obowunmi(m): 5:25pm On Mar 07, 2011
how is it a copout --- there are various forms of capitalism ? so which of the forms of capitalism is the cop-out ?
Re: Strategy To Fight Poverty In Today’s Living by Kobojunkie: 12:30am On Mar 08, 2011
What does telling me that there are many forms of capitalism do to change what I posted there? undecided
Re: Strategy To Fight Poverty In Today’s Living by Nobody: 12:31am On Mar 08, 2011
any practical strategies to address poverty in nigeria?

preferably govt initiated.
Re: Strategy To Fight Poverty In Today’s Living by obowunmi(m): 12:55am On Mar 08, 2011
Kobojunkie:

What does telling me that there are many forms of capitalism do to change what I posted there? undecided

handicapped woman, olodo --- answer my question ? What do you mean by "cop-out"
Re: Strategy To Fight Poverty In Today’s Living by Kobojunkie: 12:58am On Mar 08, 2011
^^^ You mean, the women in your home are handicapped? shocked Eyah!! Pele  ooo!!! What pity!

Does it have something to do with the 'sins of the past' or something along those lines  lipsrsealed embarassed embarassed
Re: Strategy To Fight Poverty In Today’s Living by violent(m): 1:19am On Mar 08, 2011
World organizations, government and private sectors have being trying to fight poverty for so many years, up till now nothing has been done to put an end to it.

You can't solve a problem that has taken hundreds of years to build in just a single night, it takes a process and saying nothing has been done is an absolute lie.

To start with, there ought to be some sort of re orientation of the African mentality that the more children you have, the more influential you are.  It beggars belief to think in many cases, folks who could barely feed have the most populous households, something is definitely wrong fundamentally.

Additionally, to effectively fight poverty, there has to be an enabling environment. When you live in a country where your government wouldn't mind buying even toothpicks from abroad, then there is a BIG problem, we are in deep shyt!

To further foster an enabling environment, the government ought to consider enforcing minimum wage laws across both private and public sectors to stop people from being exploited.  I am also of the opinion that certain markets such as housing markets should be regulated, the government might consider putting a cap on the maximum an individual could pay for rentals in a given month.  Ordinarily, the housing market ought to be self regulated by several other market factors, but hey, we are talking about a system where nothing works, and that itself is the father of all poverty causes.
Re: Strategy To Fight Poverty In Today’s Living by obowunmi(m): 2:47am On Mar 08, 2011
Kobojunkie:

^^^ You mean, the women in your home are handicapped? shocked Eyah!! Pele  ooo!!! What pity!

Does it have something to do with the 'sins of the past' or something along those lines  lipsrsealed embarassed embarassed

Accept my sympathies for the handicapped and mentally disabled people in your home. I understand what your entire family is going thru  --- shey awon obi re ti ya weere ni --- its hereditary, hope u know. Oniranu. Oponu.
Re: Strategy To Fight Poverty In Today’s Living by obowunmi(m): 2:49am On Mar 08, 2011
You are a slowpoke --- simple questions about "cop out" is leading to insults on your father and mother. What a foolish girl --- you have no sense. didirin ---
Re: Strategy To Fight Poverty In Today’s Living by Kobojunkie: 3:10am On Mar 08, 2011
obowunmi:

Accept my sympathies for the handicapped and mentally disabled people in your home. I understand what your entire family is going thru  --- shey awon obi re ti ya weere ni --- its hereditary, hope u know. Oniranu. Oponu.

Oh wait second. . . how can I be disabled and handicapped when I am not. I believe you are still trying to tell us of the plight of your folks there and I sure sympathize and hope you are all able to sort yourselves out there.

Eyah!!! You have Oponus, Oniranus and the lot in your house too?? shocked Here's hoping you find help in God for your situation there. embarassed embarassed
Re: Strategy To Fight Poverty In Today’s Living by Kobojunkie: 3:11am On Mar 08, 2011
obowunmi:

You are a not-so-smart person --- simple questions about "cop out" is leading to insults on your father and mother. What a foolish girl --- you have no sense. didirin ---

You really do not need to come online to reveal your problems at home to all. We all understand the need for attention on your part and we hope you get your situation squared out. cry cry
Re: Strategy To Fight Poverty In Today’s Living by obowunmi(m): 3:18am On Mar 08, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Oh wait second. . .  please don't make fun of me, I am mentally disabled and handicapped and so is my entire family.  My entire family: my father, my mother, and siblings are mentally unstable, handicapped, and disturbed. We all suffer from schizophrenia. Please sympathize with me. I cry my self to sleep every night. My parents suffer from schizoprenia and I have to deal with their madness and nuances. My father and mother will never prosper and they can never progress. Amen. This is my prayer for them.  

I proudly cohabitate with  Oponus, Oniranus in my house ---  shocked Here's hoping I find help for my father and mother -- who are mentally handicapped --  if you cannot help me, I will find assistance elsewhere.  embarassed embarassed

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Strategy To Fight Poverty In Today’s Living by Kobojunkie: 3:20am On Mar 08, 2011
WOW . . .  you also know how to misrepresent people huh? Does that  come in handy when you go out to DEFRAUD people too -- do you sign people's names too or maybe steal their creditcard info as well?? Eyah!!! I am sorry about the way you were brought up . . . you are not alone. I have seen others who do that on dateline NBC from here. . . .  cry cry cry

Like they say . . . no worry, e go better! cheesy
Re: Strategy To Fight Poverty In Today’s Living by obowunmi(m): 3:20am On Mar 08, 2011
Kobojunkie:

I always come online to reveal my psychiatric problems.  l understand my dire the need for attention, so please don't take me seriously.  I hope to get my situation squared out as soon as possible with my psychologist. In the mean time, can you help me ? cry cry

undecided undecided --- sorry my dear but I'm not a psychologist.
Re: Strategy To Fight Poverty In Today’s Living by obowunmi(m): 3:21am On Mar 08, 2011
Kobojunkie:

WOW . . . you also know how to misrepresent people huh? Nice, does that come in handy when you go out to DEFRAUD people too?? Eyah!!! I am sorry about the way you were brought up . . . you are not alone. I have seen others who do that on dateline NBC from here. . . . cry cry cry

Kobo, get off drugs and debate little girl----, what do you mean by "cop-out"
Re: Strategy To Fight Poverty In Today’s Living by Nobody: 3:23am On Mar 08, 2011
Obowunmi, how old are you again?
Re: Strategy To Fight Poverty In Today’s Living by Nobody: 11:11pm On Mar 08, 2011
would be nice if they could reinstate the lunch voucher program in the universities and all institutions of higher learning, for starters.

jumpstart the printing industry- print affordable textbooks that undergraduates can use and afford.  Win-win situation.
Re: Strategy To Fight Poverty In Today’s Living by olaolabiy: 12:54am On Mar 09, 2011
tpiah!:

nobody likes poverty [which btw is one of the reasons why scamming and 419 are so rampantly associated with nigerians].

growing up poor in nigeria wasnt an enviable experience, but in spite of it all, i dont think i have too many regrets about that time.

poor in the sense that you could count the number of cloths and shoes you had, no extravagances at all [i think my first one was buying myself a portable stereo, and i was wracked with guilt over why i hadnt given my mum the money instead. But i got over it the first hour or so after purchase. I needed my own player].

and on some occasions [yes, quite embarassing], you didnt always know where the next meal was coming from. Especially those times when salaries werent paid for months.

but remembering those periods, i dont really regret anything because maybe it was all in God's plan. My understanding now is better than it was then.

of course if i could do it over i'd be as rich as midas, and change some other aspects too, but well, if God didnt have a reason, none of it would have happened.

my opinion which might or might not change later.

but i agree the govt needs to do more about poverty alleviation.

it cant be eradicated, but at least made a bit more bearable.

people's mindset might also need to be changed to accept the fact that less can sometimes mean more.

Omo Tisha like me? Dem nearly killed us oo.
Re: Strategy To Fight Poverty In Today’s Living by MandingoII(m): 1:01am On Mar 09, 2011
Europe and American Corporations have NO DESIRE to quench poverty.

NONE.

That would mean they would go out of buisness.

Poverty is a MAN MADE CREATION.
Re: Strategy To Fight Poverty In Today’s Living by Kobojunkie: 2:05am On Mar 09, 2011
YES, European and American corporations are responsible for all the babies being pumped out by the poor, most of whom are well aware of the fact that they have no resources to feed themselves, let alone the extra mouths, around the world. WOOHOOO!!!
Re: Strategy To Fight Poverty In Today’s Living by obowunmi(m): 4:45pm On Mar 09, 2011
^^^^ u know nothing about how systems are created. Now u're advocating abortion. Kaaai, no common sense. Please leave this thread. Thank you~ angry
Re: Strategy To Fight Poverty In Today’s Living by ALMUSTAQIM(m): 5:02pm On Mar 09, 2011
I suggest investments in 'MASSES MANDATORY DAILY PRODUCTS'- 'mmdp' as a good strategy to effectively fight poverty in today's living. mmdp's include Foodstuffs, recharge cards, Waters (sachet, bottled water, juices, soft drinks ets), Provisions. mmdp's are goods & services needed by all for daily survival.
Re: Strategy To Fight Poverty In Today’s Living by obowunmi(m): 5:09pm On Mar 09, 2011
What exactly does Nigeria manufacture ? Almost everything is brought in from China.
Re: Strategy To Fight Poverty In Today’s Living by pleep(m): 10:17pm On Mar 09, 2011
Re: Strategy To Fight Poverty In Today’s Living by pleep(m): 1:06am On Mar 10, 2011
For some reason poverty seems to  increase peoples tendancy to have unprotected secs  i think of it as a short of reversion into a more animalistic state. Thats is why  Europe and north asia's populations are shrinking and aging.  while the souths population is growing exponentially. the poorest people in America are richer than the average nigerian, even poor americans can buy so much food that they litterally eat themselves to death. That food is comming directly out of the mouths of 3rd world children. africa is still a colony and  to all of you people who seem to be pro-west (kobojunkie) i  strongly recomend this video. it is simply the most brilliant documentary i have ever watched.
http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/end-of-poverty/#

the West wants africa to remain poor forever, just think about it if people. if Nigeria was a wealthy country we would use our oil for ourselves and not export. every facet of globalization is intened to keep the 3rd world in a state of eternal subjugation even the currency exchange system. YOU PEOPLE NEED TO REALIZE THAT THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOU. THEY  DO NOT HAVE YOUR BEST INTRESTS AT HEART. AND THEY WILL NOT HELP YOU. even their "Aid to africa" is tied. it is a vice it hurts the africans, makes average americans feel good about themselves and creates american jobs, 

People OPEN your eyes do not expect the cat to teach the mouse how to run. The west is not your friend. they only way to end poverty is to wrest the wealth from europeans.
Re: Strategy To Fight Poverty In Today’s Living by Kobojunkie: 1:47am On Mar 10, 2011
pleep:

For some reason poverty seems to  increase peoples tendancy to have unprotected secs  i think of it as a short of reversion into a more animalistic state.
This sort of statement is why people, even africans , think some people deserve to be shot!!!

pleep:

Thats is why  Europe and north asia's populations are shrinking and aging.  while the souths population is growing exponentially. the poorest people in America are richer than the average nigerian, even poor americans can buy so much food that they litterally eat themselves to death. That food is comming directly out of the mouths of 3rd world children.
So nevermind the fact that much of the food consumed in America is GROWN in America, in your mind, you are convinced that the food is being taken out of the mouths of 3rd world children?? ROFLMAO!!

I don't need to go any further with this . . . . this has got me raking already!!
Re: Strategy To Fight Poverty In Today’s Living by pleep(m): 2:01am On Mar 10, 2011
Kobojunkie:

This sort of statement is why people, even africans , think some people deserve to be shot!!!
Dont take what i say to seriously! embarassed im never 100% serious
perhaps i do deserve to be shot, but i wont hide the fact that i detest uprotected sex or any sex at all between unmmaried people or when people have children they cannot feed.

Kobojunkie:

So nevermind the fact that much of the food consumed in America is GROWN in America, in your mind, you are convinced that the food is being taken out of the mouths of 3rd world children?? ROFLMAO!!

I don't need to go any further with this . . . . this has got me raking already!!
Yea most of  america's food is grown in america.  but explain why it is right that  thousands of acres of the best land in kenya belongs to tea growers who supply lipton. or why half of all the good land in namibia belongs to ethnic germans who heard cattle for sale in europe. many food growers in the 3rd world are forced to sell their products in  the global markets because their domestic currency cant compare to currency like the euro. becasue of globalization people in the third world have to pay as much as or more for food as thier counterparts in developed countries. they spend so much money on food they hardly have time for anything else.

You simply took what i said litterally so you wouldnt have to face the facts,  watch the video it is worth it i promise.

(1) (2) (Reply)

North Can’t Intimidate Us –graham-douglas, S/south Leader ! / Ojukwu’s Body To Tour 4 Countries Before Burial / Jonathan And His SURE Deception Laid Bare !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.