Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,138 members, 7,821,889 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:57 PM

Senator, Governor Bicker Over Who Implemented Kaduna-abuja Railway - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senator, Governor Bicker Over Who Implemented Kaduna-abuja Railway (868 Views)

Senators Bicker Over Innoson Motors Boss, Chukwuma / As Elumelu, Secondus Bicker Over House Leadership / Presidency, Sanwo-olu Bicker Over Apapa Gridlock (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senator, Governor Bicker Over Who Implemented Kaduna-abuja Railway by sirequity(m): 10:22pm On Jan 05, 2018
THE governor of Kaduna State, Nasir El-rufai and Senator representing Bayelsa East Senatorial district, Ben Murray-Bruce are currently engaged in a war of who implemented the recently commissioned Abuja-Kaduna railway.

Trouble started when the lawmaker urged President Muhammadu Buhari to commend former President, Goodluck Jonathan for “the train ride he enjoyed in Kaduna.”

The senator stated that the project was entirely the handiwork of the Jonathan’s administration.

Reacting, the governor portrayed the senator as a liar.

El-Rufai noted that former President Olusegun Obasanjo designed and raised the financing and started the “EPC of the Lagos-Kano dual track-standard gauge rail system, and the Abuja Light Rail.”

With this reply, HEADLINE reports that the governor has deviated from the bone of the contention.

While the senator was talking about Abuja-Kaduna railway, the governor was talking about the Lagos-Kano dual track-standard gauge rail system.

In clapping back, Murray-Bruce said El-rufai hatred for late President Umaru Musa Yar’adua may have affected the judgement of the governor.

“Your dislike of the late Yar’adua may have clouded your judgment. I made no mention of the ‘Abuja light railway’. My tweet referred to the Abuja-Kaduna railway which is a product of the Jonathan administration. I am happy to publicly debate this with you.”

ARE THE DUO CORRECT ABOUT THEIR CLAIM?

Investigation by HEADLINE reveals that the Obasanjo administration in 2006 in conjunction with a China Construction Company, CCECC, signed a memorandum for construction of a new standard gauge rail network consisting of Lagos-Kano, Port Harcourt–Maiduguri and the Lagos-Calabar lines to replace the existing narrow guage lines, at a cost of $8.3 billion, over a 25- year period.

HEADLINE also gathered that the counterpart funding was faulty on the part of Nigeria, while it contravened the law therefore the project did not see the light of the day.

When Yar’adua came into power and discovered that the contract did not follow due process and that the project was inflated he visited china and re-negotiated and re-scoped the entire project. It was at this point that project was segmented and the Abuja-Kaduna component was added.

Rehabilitation work started while a Chinese delegation came to Nigeria to commence on-site assessment and preparatory work on first phase of the now segmented standard gauge Abuja-Kaduna line in July 2008 and to finalise it in 2009. When Yar’adua died, Jonathan re-scoped the Lagos-Calabar line by adding Otuoke (his home town) to it.

Contract for the Abuja-Kaduna standard rail project was awarded in 2010 but the actual construction did not start till 2011. It is an $874 million project with the Exim Bank of China’s facility of $500 million, while Nigeria was to pay the rest. The Project was scheduled for completion in 2014.

But Jonathan’s administration though inherited it, partly funded it but not to completion.

When Buhari came in 2015, there were outstanding payments which stalled the project. Buhari paid off and worked commenced and is now completed due largely to the seriousness Buhari attached to it.

Source: http://headline.com.ng/senator-governor-bicker-implemented-kaduna-abuja-railway/

lalasticlala

2 Likes

Re: Senator, Governor Bicker Over Who Implemented Kaduna-abuja Railway by Nasa28(m): 10:27pm On Jan 05, 2018
nonesense debate
Re: Senator, Governor Bicker Over Who Implemented Kaduna-abuja Railway by sirequity(m): 10:28pm On Jan 05, 2018
lalasticlala I think this report will end the war, shift it to them
Re: Senator, Governor Bicker Over Who Implemented Kaduna-abuja Railway by Jochabed(f): 10:33pm On Jan 05, 2018
Its so uncalled for.
Re: Senator, Governor Bicker Over Who Implemented Kaduna-abuja Railway by Okoroawusa: 10:33pm On Jan 05, 2018
This bickering is childish n unnessary.

whether gej or pmb the fact is that it is a Nigerian project n everyone contributed their part to it.

2 Likes

Re: Senator, Governor Bicker Over Who Implemented Kaduna-abuja Railway by GavelSlam: 10:44pm On Jan 05, 2018
That clears it we hope.
Re: Senator, Governor Bicker Over Who Implemented Kaduna-abuja Railway by yarimo(m): 12:58am On Jan 06, 2018
GEJ is a failure in any aspect of good governance how can he initiate and implement this kind of project? undecided

1 Like

Re: Senator, Governor Bicker Over Who Implemented Kaduna-abuja Railway by FastShipping: 1:10am On Jan 06, 2018
Despite the fact that I hate this Buhari administration with passion, it is fair to say he took over when this project was about to stall (Common Nigerian Factor), funded it, completed it and commissioned it.

15% Obasanjo - Good Initiative
30% Yaradua - Renegotiated and set ball rolling
20% Gej - Continued where his boss stopped
35% Buhari - Funded it, monitored it till it was commissioned.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senator, Governor Bicker Over Who Implemented Kaduna-abuja Railway by slimfit1(m): 1:42am On Jan 06, 2018
We can't measure an lay iron on a block and we have engineers by paper.
Re: Senator, Governor Bicker Over Who Implemented Kaduna-abuja Railway by Nobody: 6:41am On Jan 06, 2018
Keni kan sha ti pari ishey ni
Re: Senator, Governor Bicker Over Who Implemented Kaduna-abuja Railway by Omeokachie: 7:39am On Jan 06, 2018
Buhari & APC will always claim credit for other peoples projects, but abdicate responsibility for their own failures.

We know them too well.
Re: Senator, Governor Bicker Over Who Implemented Kaduna-abuja Railway by ziryboy(m): 7:49am On Jan 06, 2018
Omeokachie:
Buhari & APC will always claim credit for other peoples projects, but abdicate responsibility for their own failures.

We know them too well.
Igbos always loss sense of reasoning...did you read before commenting so? Project that started before Yaradua died then took up by your hero who can't finish it but Buhari came and fund it to completion...may God heal you people this year

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senator, Governor Bicker Over Who Implemented Kaduna-abuja Railway by Bari22: 7:52am On Jan 06, 2018
Let one of them sponsor the work it's then that i can believe any of them
Re: Senator, Governor Bicker Over Who Implemented Kaduna-abuja Railway by Omeokachie: 7:52am On Jan 06, 2018
ziryboy:
Igbos always loss sense of reasoning...did you read before commenting so? Project that started before Yaradua died then took up by your hero who can't finish it but Buhari came and fund it to completion...may God heal you people this year

Small boy, did you read the counter from BMB?

“Your dislike of the late Yar’adua may have clouded your judgment. I made no mention of the ‘Abuja light railway’. My tweet referred to the Abuja-Kaduna railway which is a product of the Jonathan administration. I am happy to publicly debate this with you.”

Pray politicians dont play poker with your life and future while you are here playing with sand.

1 Like

Re: Senator, Governor Bicker Over Who Implemented Kaduna-abuja Railway by agabusta: 9:19am On Jan 06, 2018
Omeokachie:

Small boy, did you read the counter from BMB?

Pray politicians dont play poker with your life and future while you are here playing with sand.

....and did you read the sound analysis of the journalist that did the news?

The report concluded by setting the facts right, after first reporting both claims.

Go back and read it to completion. Don't be a lazy reader.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Who Is Fela Durotoye ? / Can S/E Get Presidency In 2023 By Supporting PMB For Second Term?- Leadership.ng / How Commodore Gbenga Oyetotan Of Naval Base,sapele Abducted&threatened Darasimi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.