Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,103 members, 7,835,725 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:58 PM

Welcome To Lagos: New Bbc Series - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Welcome To Lagos: New Bbc Series (3496 Views)

BBC To Launch Broadcasting Services In Yoruba And Pidgin / Desperate Housewives Coming To Lagos / Bbc 2 'welcome To Lagos' Documentary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Welcome To Lagos: New Bbc Series by peachie(f): 7:40pm On Apr 08, 2010
Oh-Oh Its another one!!!!!! embarassed

Starting next thursday 15th April 2010 BBC 2 9pm

Three part observational documentary series which explores life at the sharp end of one of the most extreme urban environments in the world: Lagos, Nigeria. Today, more than half the world's population live in cities, and this eye-opening series shows what life is really like in some of the toughest parts of the world's fastest growing megacity.

The first episode uncovers life in Olusosun rubbish dump. Here, around 1000 people live on top of the rubbish in houses built from scrap. The film follows the daily lives of two men who have become skilled at turning rubbish into gold. Eric, aka Vocal Slender, is a musician, and every bit of scrap he finds brings him one step closer to his dream of launching his music career, but a serious fight nearly ruins his chances.

Joseph is a trader who works hard to provide for his wife and two small children, and who has filled his house with things he has found on the dump. 'If there was a bigger, dirtier, stinkier dump where I could earn more money for my family, then I'd go there to work,' he says.

With extraordinary access to some of the poorest parts of town, the series celebrates the resilience, resourcefulness and energy of Lagos's 16 million inhabitants, and shows how successfully many of its slum dwellers are adapting to the realities of the world's increasingly extreme urban future.

Excerpt and pictures from BBC Website.

Re: Welcome To Lagos: New Bbc Series by Ughelli: 9:32pm On Apr 11, 2010
Always negative!! This is why the West look at us as if we are animals! They feel that all of us in Nigeria live in these predicaments like animals!!
Re: Welcome To Lagos: New Bbc Series by maxsiollun: 10:00pm On Apr 11, 2010
Those who want to see a trailer can view a preview here: http://maxsiollun./2010/04/11/welcome-to-lagos-bbc-tv-programme-on-lagos/
Re: Welcome To Lagos: New Bbc Series by obinna5000(m): 10:04pm On Apr 11, 2010
The western world always want to picture Nigeria in a bad way.
Re: Welcome To Lagos: New Bbc Series by Ughelli: 11:16pm On Apr 11, 2010
Do you think that if the west showed the oppulent side of Nigeria(i.e the fantastic lagos and abuja sides) that we as Nigerians would still complain anyway and deem this oppulence/wealth to be as a result of 419?

I am going to a seminar soon which involves heads of production companies that make factual/reality shows (this includes the BBC) and i was thinking of proposing the idea to them that for once could they show a more positive and humane side of Nigeria. This may help to change and dispel the views of many in the diaspora that Nigeria is not a country worth returning to. I feel that if more positive images were shown then many Nigerians who have talents in various fields would want to invest their time and talent in Nigeria rather than making other countries economies wealthy

Phew!!!
Re: Welcome To Lagos: New Bbc Series by maxsiollun: 1:09pm On Apr 16, 2010

(1) (Reply)

Download: Batman: Death In The Family Full Movie / Deleted / Funke Akindele Stars In Omo Ghetto 2 [video]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.