Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,897 members, 7,814,032 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:15 AM

Who Are Youths And Who Are Not? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Are Youths And Who Are Not? (2207 Views)

Southern Kaduna: Youths And Women Protest Over Incessant Killings (Photos) / Benue Youths And Police In A Shootout In Makurdi / Nnamdi Kanu Replies Arewa Youths And Threatened To Dry All The Oil In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Are Youths And Who Are Not? by ayoncox: 3:36pm On Jan 06, 2018
Some people have been calling themselves youths and also called youths by others. Last year while Vice President was celebrating his 60th birthday, President Buhari in his congratulation letter referred to thE vp TO AS a youth, which I stand to disagree. Below is the UNESCO concept of youth and I want you to read carefully

What do we mean by “youth”? “Youth” i best understood as a period of transition
from the dependence of childhood to adulthood's independence and awareness of our interdependence as members of a community. Youth is a more fluid category than a fixed age-group.
However, age is the easiest way to define this group, particularly in relation to education and employment. Therefore “youth” is often indicated as a person between the age where he/she may leave compulsory education, and the age at which he/she finds his/her first employment. This latter age limit has been increasing, as higher levels of unemployment and the cost of setting up an independent household puts many young people into
a prolonged period of dependency. When carrying out its Youth Strategy, UNESCO uses
different definitions of youth depending on the
context. For activities at international or at regional level, such as the African Youth Forum, UNESCO uses the United Nations’ universal definition.
The UN, for statistical consistency across regions, defines ‘youth’, as those persons between the ages of 15 and 24 years, without prejudice to other definitions by Member States. All UN statistics on youth are based on this definition, as illustrated by the annual yearbooks of statistics published by the United Nations system on demography, education,
employment and health. For activities at the national level, for example when implementing a local community youth programme,
“youth” may be understood in a more flexible manner. UNESCO will then adopt the definition of “youth” as used by a particular Member State. It can be based for instance on the definition given in the African Youth Charter where “youth” means “every person between the ages of 15 and 35
years".

http://www.unesco.org/new/en/social-and-human-sciences/themes/youth/youth-definition/
Re: Who Are Youths And Who Are Not? by Nobody: 3:41pm On Jan 06, 2018
So, what exactly are you try to bring out?
Re: Who Are Youths And Who Are Not? by fistonati(m): 3:52pm On Jan 06, 2018
Toshiba Satellite C855d Laptop for sale in Ibadan for give away price. Dual heating fan (7 hours full operation on cushion no heat). Win8. Call 08036196208
Re: Who Are Youths And Who Are Not? by ayoncox: 3:53pm On Jan 06, 2018
Now let us look at the definition of Youth according to Nigerian Government of the Old, yes you may say Nigeria is better than Zimbabwe but let see our parameters for being called Youth.

1. If you are 70 years below you are a youth.
2. Even your belly has become big with so much belly fat due to age you are a youth.
3. In Nigeria, a grandfather is a youth, because he is not using walking stick.
4. Popular youths in Nigeria are Saraki, Osinbajo, Dino Melaye, Atiku, Dogara and so on.

If This all are youths, then who are we? I think we are young youth or children youth.

According to statistics young adults between 18 and 35 years old of age amount for 65 percent of Nigeria population. About 70 percent of this group are either unemployed or underemployed.
By reason of ranking this group are supposed to take charge of governance but we are not ready according to President Obasanjo, which I think is right. Instead to take the bull by the horn, many of us are still looking for 30 thousand Naira of Npower and some others 35 thousand Naira job just to keep body and soul. We have been handed over to a script for limitation and stagnancy. I think it is a strategy to keep us out of taking charge of governance and the economy. The following excuses are given
Re: Who Are Youths And Who Are Not? by nex(m): 3:54pm On Jan 06, 2018
I was on Wazobia TV some months ago to talk about Youths In Politics, and the discussion started off by defining Youths.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9Is6CvS_AE

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Aisha Buhari Reacts To Son Yusuf Buhari's Arrival To Nigeria / What The Constitution Says About Summons By The National Assembly / Breaking News. Igbo Groups Join APC from PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.