Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,489 members, 7,830,464 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:48 PM

A - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A (1110 Views)

Kaduna Inland Dry Port To Be Commissioned By President Buhari On Thursday / Amaechi And El-rufai Commission Kaduna Inland Dry Port(photos) / Amaechi Visits Plateau, Inspects Ongoing Work At Heipang Inland Dry Port, Jos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A by MosD: 5:37pm On Jan 06, 2018
A
Re: A by Blue3k(m): 6:50pm On Jan 06, 2018
Sums up everything
Re: A by kay9(m): 7:11pm On Jan 06, 2018
Onne port in Rivers State is under-used and neglected.

Calabar port and its free-trade zone (FTZ) in Cross River State is lying fallow.

Millions are allocated for dredging the Niger from Forcados/Escravos through Onitsha up to Lokoja every year, even though the Onitsha port in Anambra State has been lying decrepit since the 70's and totally forgotten for decades. And don't even bother to ask the dredging is actually done..

Yet... yet here we are talking of "inland dry ports".

1 Like

Re: A by MosD: 7:27pm On Jan 06, 2018
kay9:
Onne port in Rivers State is under-used and neglected.

Calabar port and its free-trade zone (FTZ) in Cross River State is lying fallow.

Millions are allocated for dredging the Niger from Forcados/Escravos through Onitsha up to Lokoja every year, even though the Onitsha port in Anambra State has been lying decrepit since the 70's and totally forgotten for decades. And don't even bother to ask the dredging is actually done..

Yet... yet here we are talking of "inland dry ports".

Love your analyses. It's unfortunate how projects are being handled in this country. We miss Yaradua on that. That however does not rule out the fact that the north, especially, needs inland dry port to ease import/export business

1 Like

Re: A by kay9(m): 7:57pm On Jan 06, 2018
MosD:

Love your analyses. It's unfortunate how projects are being handled in this country. We miss Yaradua on that. That however does not rule out the fact that the north, especially, needs inland dry port to ease import/export business

I'm sorry but i disagree with the bolded. Yes, an inland dry port is a wonderful idea, but there is a SIMPLER, CHEAPER, and more ECONOMY-BOOSTING alternative: ensure the funds allocated for dredging the Niger is utilised as budgeted; improve security in the waterways; and then get the inter-country rail systems working!

The rails will grossly cut down transport costs of goods down to Lokoja/Onitsha, from where they can be ferried; while a functional cargo transport river-network via the Niger to the port (Calabar preferably, it already has a free trade zone!) will cost even less. I'm not even going to mention the boost this will bring to the Transport sub-sector as whole, the huge load it will take off our current reliance on road transport...

All this is not rocket science, we simply lack leaders who have to willpower and zeal to get the system working again. They'll rather jump to a new "fantastic" project that will suddenly make all the problems disappear. Well we all know how that always works out.
Re: A by kings09(m): 7:59pm On Jan 06, 2018
That it is dry like d dry bone failure of a president called buhari
Re: A by MosD: 8:34pm On Jan 06, 2018
kay9:

I'm sorry but i disagree with the bolded. Yes, an inland dry port is a wonderful idea, but there is a SIMPLER, CHEAPER, and more ECONOMY-BOOSTING alternative: ensure the funds allocated for dredging the Niger is utilised as budgeted; improve security in the waterways; and then get the inter-country rail systems working!

The rails will grossly cut down transport costs of goods down to Lokoja/Onitsha, from where they can be ferried; while a functional cargo transport river-network via the Niger to the port (Calabar preferably, it already has a free trade zone!) will cost even less. I'm not even going to mention the boost this will bring to the Transport sub-sector as whole, the huge load it will take off our current reliance on road transport...

All this is not rocket science, we simply lack leaders who have to willpower and zeal to get the system working again. They'll rather jump to a new "fantastic" project that will suddenly make all the problems disappear. Well we all know how that always works out.

As much as I agree with you on dredging and creating more sea port, which personally, I still have beef with Jonathan on, I still mentain that the northern part, especially from Kaduna which is mostly landlocked sure needs an inland dry port.

Remember that it's with dry port that transportation system, especially the rail, will be boosted more. Better transport system will have to be provided for the transportation of intermodal containers.

That is to talk less of the safety, fast and ease of doing business
Re: A by Nobody: 9:17pm On Jan 06, 2018
MosD:
Two days ago, the president of Nigeria, Muhammudu Buhari commissioned a groundbreaking project, Inland Dry Port in Kaduna, Kaduna State. It is the first of its kind in Nigeria, no wonder many are still confused what the project is all about.

As it is with our culture at AceGist to enlighten you on such national issue, this will not be an exception. It is for this reason we bring to you what you need to know about the Kaduna Inland Dry Port in a lay man’s language. You might just be in a position to take advantage of it.

A dry port is generally known as an inland intermodal terminal directly connected by road, rail and air to a sea port and operating as a centre for trans-shipment of sea cargo to inland destinations.

That may seem complex a bit. Now let’s break it down.

– An inland port is an inland site linked to a seaport.

– Dry port is basically used for cargo transhipment.

– The cargo is transported by intermodal containers.

– Intermodal containers are standardised shipping containers. See sample below:

– The cargo transhipment can be through road, rail or air.

The bottom line is, shifting the activities that is done at a sea port to an hinterland to create space at sea port and also improve ease of doing business.

– Shipping containers allow some functions traditionally carried out at a seaport to be moved elsewhere.

– Such activities are; receiving, processing through customs, inspecting, sorting and consolidating containers going to the same overseas port.

– Therefore, the clearance needed from custom and other relevant competent authorities which makes a seaport to be cumbersome and congested is transferred to the inland dry port on consignments emanating from it or has its destination there.

– Imagine the relieve Apapa sea port will get when most of the intermodal containers meant for the northern part of Nigeria are taken to Kaduna inland dry port.

– The newly commissioned Kaduna inland dry port has the capacity to handle 29,000 tonnes of cargoes yearly at the first phase of operation.

– It will also generate no fewer than 5,000 direct employment at the commencement of operation.

There are seven (7) approved locations for the Inland Container Depots (ICDs) / Container Freight Stations (CFSs), which were concessioned to private sector operators by the ICD Implementation Committee of the Federal Ministry of Transport as follows:

IsialaNgwa, Aba
Erunmu, Ibadan
Heipang, Jos
Zawachiki, Kano
Zamfarawa, Funtua
Jauri, Maiduguri
ICNL, Kaduna

http://acegist.com/know-kaduna-inland-dry-port/

Hauling containers all the way from Lagos to Kaduna, what is the difference between this and the already existing arrangement? How about developing the other sea ports, inland waterways and river ports? Why are we hellbent on putting carts before horses in this country just because of ethnic chauvinism?

1 Like

Re: A by CrtlAltDel: 10:17pm On Jan 06, 2018
And one intellectual was forming James Bond and Bruce lee on the main thread like he knows more than the project owners. What is his moniker again…
Ehen…. Stylz69....come and get some education grin grin grin
Re: A by MosD: 10:57pm On Jan 06, 2018
SnowJay92:

Hauling containers all the way from Lagos to Kaduna, what is the difference between this and the already existing arrangement? How about developing the other sea ports, inland waterways and river ports? Why are we hellbent on putting carts before horses in this country just because of ethnic chauvinism?

I think the major different is just the custom and other relevant agencies clearance. This will make the containers prepared for export (if it's going out) from the dry port; thereby freeing space at the sea port. Same goes for import.
Re: A by Nobody: 11:23pm On Jan 06, 2018
MosD:

I think the major different is just the custom and other relevant agencies clearance. This will make the containers prepared for export (if it's going out) from the dry port; thereby freeing space at the sea port. Same goes for import.

Same for smuggled, contraband and restricted goods right? Too many steps in the wrong direction for obvious reasons.
Re: A by MosD: 11:29pm On Jan 06, 2018
[quote author=SnowJay92 post=63962022]

Same for smuggled, contraband and restricted goods right? Too many steps in the wrong direction for obvious reasons.[/quote

tongue lipsrsealed well, on the negative side, yes
Re: A by kay9(m): 7:57am On Jan 07, 2018
MosD:

As much as I agree with you on dredging and creating more sea port, which personally, I still have beef with Jonathan on, I still mentain that the northern part, especially from Kaduna which is mostly landlocked sure needs an inland dry port.

Remember that it's with dry port that transportation system, especially the rail, will be boosted more. Better transport system will have to be provided for the transportation of intermodal containers.

That is to talk less of the safety, fast and ease of doing business

Yeah... you are quite right with the bolded after all. I'm just reluctant to jump on the bandwagon because i know what happens to the millions and billions allocated to these kind of projects. So I'd rather they execute the more obvious jobs first - rails, dredge the Niger, and revamp ports. The inland ports can come afterwards when it can actually bear the fruits it promises.

(1) (Reply)

Benue Indigenes Good Morning Ooooo / EFCC Makes More Discoveries In PDP 2015 Campaign Funding / U Cannot Put A Crown On A Clown And Expect A King..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.