Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,671 members, 7,816,759 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:35 PM

Jonathan And Muttalab Meet ! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan And Muttalab Meet ! (4791 Views)

President Jonathan And His Campaign Team Arrive Onitsha, Anambra State / Breaking News: CIA, FBI storm Nigeria; quiz Muttalab snr. / Northwest Flight 253 Leg-bomber Is Son Of Dr.umaru Abdul Muttalab, (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan And Muttalab Meet ! by wales(m): 7:46am On Apr 09, 2010
Ahead of his official visit to the United States tomorrow, Acting President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday met with Umaru Muttalab, the father of the 22-year-old Nigerian, Farouk Abdulmuttalab, who allegedly attempted to bomb an American aircraft on Christmas Day last year.

Dressed in white Babanriga, Mr Muttalab came to the Presidential Villa alone and met with the acting president behind closed doors for close to an hour, but he refused to speak to the press afterwards.

He is, however, believed to have discussed his earlier trip to the United States during which he met with American security officials who were after more clues about his son’s attempted terrorism on American soil, for which the young man is currently facing trial.

Washington immediately placed Nigeria on a 14-nation terror watch list after the attempt and ordered a thorough screening of Nigerians travelling to the States, a development that was bitterly criticized by the Nigerian government.

Earlier this week however, the US announced that it will implement new airline security measures to replace mandatory screening of air travellers from the 14 listed countries. The Nigerian ministry of foreign affairs which released a statement signed by the ministry’s spokesperson Ozo Nwobu, yesterday, welcomed the de-listing of Nigeria as a ‘country of interest’ in the U.S. anti-terrorism crusade, following the new guidelines.

A few days to Mr Jonathan’s visit to the White House, the US and Nigeria signed a U.S.-Nigeria Bi-National Commission (BNC) on Tuesday. Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton signed the agreement on behalf of the US, while the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Yayale Ahmed signed for Nigeria.

Mrs Clinton described the document as “a new vehicle for cooperation,” which grew out of discussions that started during her visit to Nigeria last August. She said the agreement was signed at a very challenging moment in Nigeria’s political history, which “reflects the commitment of the US to this absolutely critical bilateral relationship.”

The US Assistant Secretary of State for the Bureau of African Affairs, Johnnie Carson who recently visited Nigeria, recently described the relationship between the US and Nigeria as ‘special’. He was giving his testimony before the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations, which was examining the US-Nigeria relation last February.

“Our bilateral relationship with Nigeria remains strong and we can continue to press forward our mutual strategic goals,” he said. He identified free and fair elections, building capacity and commitment to fight corruption, promoting economic development, resolving internal conflict, enhancing Nigeria’s role as a regional leader in conflict mitigation, and developing other influential actors such as the state governments and faith communities as mutual goals for both nations.

Obama’s guest

Mr Jonathan goes to the US on the invitation of America’s President, Barack Obama to attend a maiden nuclear security summit, organised by the American government. The trip will avail the Nigerian leader an opportunity to personally present the federal government’s demands to the American president.

The Obama administration was the first government to congratulate Mr Jonathan after the National Assembly declared him the Acting President to avert an impending constitutional crisis as the ailing President stayed away in Saudi Arabia for treatment on a heart condition without appropriately delegating his power.

The Acting President is expected back home by Thursday next week.

Link:

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5552336-146/jonathan_and_muttalab_meet__.csp

Re: Jonathan And Muttalab Meet ! by Mcaudrey: 11:47am On Apr 09, 2010
Ok. Not a bad idea
Re: Jonathan And Muttalab Meet ! by peacettw: 11:52am On Apr 09, 2010
, and it makes the front page with just ONE REPLY!
Re: Jonathan And Muttalab Meet ! by gbengress1: 11:56am On Apr 09, 2010
Nigeria deserves2be on d terrorist list.Different sort of crime&other social vices in d country,yesterday boko haram,2day jos crisis,2morrow an idiot attempting 2hit d arik airline with his car.The list is endless including public looting&misappropriation of funds by unscrupulous politicians.I wish I were not a Nigerian.Why me??
Re: Jonathan And Muttalab Meet ! by ireneann: 12:06pm On Apr 09, 2010
We deserve to be on that terrorist list!!! maybe it will make nigerians stay back home grin grin grin
Re: Jonathan And Muttalab Meet ! by kwaghe: 12:15pm On Apr 09, 2010
I just hope they are not going to ask Obama to grant AMNESTY to the foolish and stupid boy!
Re: Jonathan And Muttalab Meet ! by s4: 12:26pm On Apr 09, 2010
Is it really been on the terrorist list that will make us stay at home. Yes it is beautifull to stay at home, at least we be able to annes from the best brains.
I think what we should all find a solution fopr is how we can change the orientations of all of us, most especially our politicains. Then we dont need to tell anybody to stay back at home before they all know there is hope in the land. God bless all of us, God bless Nigeria.
Re: Jonathan And Muttalab Meet ! by Ninapha(f): 12:31pm On Apr 09, 2010
@ireneann

In a very plain language, i agree with u. we ought to be on that list.

Two beautiful faces one dark soul. what an irony. see papa see pikin.

@kwaghe  

I just hope they are not going to ask Obama to grant AMNESTY to the foolish and silly boy!
I just pray so, else the calabar man may team up with him and huuuuuuuh!

@s4

Yes cos Nigerians are better people when living in crises.
Re: Jonathan And Muttalab Meet ! by oge4real(f): 12:40pm On Apr 09, 2010
What more does he want to hear?
Re: Jonathan And Muttalab Meet ! by dammizz(m): 12:44pm On Apr 09, 2010
@ gbengress, why the self-condemnation nah, is there a country wit no terrorism? America also has its on line of terrorism, only dt they r so quick to broadcast and exagerate ours, It's even worse in there but coded. Im still suspectin America on the first 3 massive earthquakes dt happened early dis year, they sure knw hw to cover-up
Re: Jonathan And Muttalab Meet ! by Fhemmmy: 12:54pm On Apr 09, 2010
A true Leader will gather facts from the players ahead of a meeting . . . Great jog GJ, this guy keep impressing
Re: Jonathan And Muttalab Meet ! by Voned(f): 12:56pm On Apr 09, 2010
Naija has turned to something else
Re: Jonathan And Muttalab Meet ! by violent(m): 12:58pm On Apr 09, 2010
Joey is truly a smart boy!

He keeps quiet and gathers fact. . . and when its time to act, he moves in a swift, ruthless manner!
Re: Jonathan And Muttalab Meet ! by Fhemmmy: 1:01pm On Apr 09, 2010
^^^ The dude seems to know what he is doing, he seems to be smarter than we have given him credit for . . . . . Might have his name written in gold after the year oh.
Re: Jonathan And Muttalab Meet ! by sley4life(m): 1:13pm On Apr 09, 2010
what are they gonna discuss. Hope dey find the real reason for the attempted bombing
Re: Jonathan And Muttalab Meet ! by Nneomaj(f): 1:22pm On Apr 09, 2010
GJ, make me d Acting President d few days u'll b away and i promise u, Nigeria will not remain d same again.
Re: Jonathan And Muttalab Meet ! by Fhemmmy: 1:24pm On Apr 09, 2010
sley4life:

what are they gonna discuss. Hope dey find the real reason for the attempted bombing

Was that supposed to be a joke or a question.
The dude's son was gonna bomb a plane within the territory of USA.
Jonathan is going to USA to meet with the president of USA
And you asking what would the dude and Jonathan would be discussin?
Re: Jonathan And Muttalab Meet ! by Travelista(f): 1:24pm On Apr 09, 2010
Only in Nigeria would the father of a suspected terrorist be granted a private audience with the President. What on earth could the father have to say that he can't say to the nation? He and and his spoiled ass of a son have caused more than enough trouble; I hope he doesn't expect Jonathan to speak to Obama about his son's charges.
Re: Jonathan And Muttalab Meet ! by Fhemmmy: 1:33pm On Apr 09, 2010
Travelista:

Only in Nigeria would the father of a suspected terrorist be granted a private audience with the President. What on earth could the father have to say that he can't say to the nation? He and and his spoiled backside of a son have caused more than enough trouble; I hope he doesn't expect Jonathan to speak to Obama about his son's charges.

Do you have any clue that the problem caused by that little brat was a national issue for Nigeria?
So there is nothing wrong in meeting with Jonathan.
America flew him to come to USA to help them, and mind you, till he told the son to cooperate with the American Authority, he was not saying much.
So let us give Jonathan some credit.
Re: Jonathan And Muttalab Meet ! by PurestBoy(m): 1:36pm On Apr 09, 2010
Like father like son
Re: Jonathan And Muttalab Meet ! by sulad82i(m): 1:37pm On Apr 09, 2010
Fhemmmy:

Do you have any clue that the problem caused by that little brat was a national issue for Nigeria?
So there is nothing wrong in meeting with Jonathan.
America flew him to come to USA to help them, and mind you, till he told the son to cooperate with the American Authority, he was not saying much.
So let us give Jonathan some credit.

Where did you get that fact?
Re: Jonathan And Muttalab Meet ! by Fhemmmy: 1:37pm On Apr 09, 2010
PurestBoy:

Like father like son

Meaning?
What is the offence of the father?
Re: Jonathan And Muttalab Meet ! by Fhemmmy: 1:38pm On Apr 09, 2010
sulad82i:

Where did you get that fact?

You telling me that the father/Representative was not in the USA to talk to the lad?
Re: Jonathan And Muttalab Meet ! by sulad82i(m): 1:40pm On Apr 09, 2010
Fhemmmy:

You telling me that the father/Representative was not in the USA to talk to the lad?

The boy started talking immediately he was caught. He stopped only when he was told his right by a lawyer that he does not have to reply all the questions they are asking him except he is in court.
Re: Jonathan And Muttalab Meet ! by YD(m): 1:50pm On Apr 09, 2010
Travelista:

Only in Nigeria would the father of a suspected terrorist be granted a private audience with the President. What on earth could the father have to say that he can't say to the nation? He and and his spoiled backside of a son have caused more than enough trouble; I hope he doesn't expect Jonathan to speak to Obama about his son's charges.

u dey this country at all? did u follow the story at all? shocked  angry  embarassed @22, the boy is a grown man and his father cannot take responsibilities for the boy's actions. besides, in my opinion the father did more than an average father would do in cooperating with security operatives and even informing necessary authorities before hand who did nothing on their part.i do not think the father is to blame in any way at all

on speaking to obama on the boy's charges, i guess we'd have to wait to know the knid of leader jonathan may turn out to be.
so far, good steps on parts of all concerned.
Re: Jonathan And Muttalab Meet ! by Fhemmmy: 1:59pm On Apr 09, 2010
sulad82i:

The boy started talking immediately he was caught. He stopped only when he was told his right by a lawyer that he does not have to reply all the questions they are asking him except he is in court.

Chief, the Dad has been a great asset to them all.
remember how even a father that he is warned the Authority?
Give him some credit
Re: Jonathan And Muttalab Meet ! by Fhemmmy: 2:00pm On Apr 09, 2010
sulad82i:

BTW . . . Most of all the boy was saying earlier were irrelevant and useless.
Re: Jonathan And Muttalab Meet ! by afanda(m): 2:02pm On Apr 09, 2010
I think Mutallab senior deserves a standing ovation! He did the best he cud when d ways of his son became unusual,not many parents will do that. Still as a father he stood by his son during his trail. It's gud Goodluck gives him a listening ear!!
Re: Jonathan And Muttalab Meet ! by sulad82i(m): 2:03pm On Apr 09, 2010
Fhemmmy:

Chief, the Dad has been a great asset to them all.
remember how even a father that he is warned the Authority?
Give him some credit

I'm not taking anything away from what the dad did. He made the right move but he was not really taken serious. I was just talking about the fact you gave.

Fhemmmy:

BTW . . .  Most of all the boy was saying earlier were irrelevant and useless.

Really?
Telling the authority about Yemen was irrelevant? Common
Re: Jonathan And Muttalab Meet ! by Fhemmmy: 2:05pm On Apr 09, 2010
afanda:

I think Mutallab senior deserves a standing ovation! He did the best he cud when d ways of his son became unusual,not many parents will do that. Still as a father he stood by his son during his trail. It's gud Goodluck gives him a listening ear!!

Tell them jare . . . besides, i am sure being a national issue, Obama might talk about it with Jonathan, Nigerian has been making noise that they shd be taken off the black list and now Jonathan wanna go see Obama and people are still asking why would Jonathan see him?
Re: Jonathan And Muttalab Meet ! by Fhemmmy: 2:06pm On Apr 09, 2010
sulad82i:

I'm not taking anything away from what the dad did. He made the right move but he was not really taken serious. I was just talking about the fact you gave.

Really?
Telling the authority about Yemen was irrelevant? Common

What was he telling FBI about yemen that they dont already know?
Tell me one thing, just one thing that he said about Yemen that was new.
Re: Jonathan And Muttalab Meet ! by sulad82i(m): 2:08pm On Apr 09, 2010
So they knew he was there for months getting trained on how to develop explosive?

Fhemmmy:

What was he telling FBI about yemen that they dont already know?
Tell me one thing, just one thing that he said about Yemen that was new.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Invalid / Why Dangote Abandons His Crashed Trucks On The Crash Scene. / Data Analysis Of The Election...my Objective Take On Possible Scenario

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.