Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,242 members, 7,818,826 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:06 AM

The 12 Stations On The Abuja Light Rail Phase 1 Corridor Have Been Completed - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The 12 Stations On The Abuja Light Rail Phase 1 Corridor Have Been Completed (30012 Views)

Sanwo-Olu Commissions Oshodi-Abule-Egba BRT Corridor / LASG To Demolish Four Petrol Stations On Ikorodu Road To Build BRT Lanes, Parks / Buhari Completes 12 Stations Of The Abuja Light Rail Project (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The 12 Stations On The Abuja Light Rail Phase 1 Corridor Have Been Completed by Nobody: 9:41pm On Jan 10, 2018
See the beauty of continuity,
The government should get on with other infrastructural projects, cover more regions and cities, Second niger bridge, bonny - bodo bridge, etc,

Justice for all.

2 Likes

Re: The 12 Stations On The Abuja Light Rail Phase 1 Corridor Have Been Completed by biblegirl: 9:41pm On Jan 10, 2018
only corridor has bn completed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The 12 Stations On The Abuja Light Rail Phase 1 Corridor Have Been Completed by Blue3k(m): 9:43pm On Jan 10, 2018
Uyeye:
sad

I really wanna know why Nigeria is building railway in Niger Republic with borrowed money

Don't spam thread with off topic post. Buhari mearly copying Jonathan.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 12 Stations On The Abuja Light Rail Phase 1 Corridor Have Been Completed by deji17: 9:44pm On Jan 10, 2018
Daviddson:
And so? Nigeria which way
As much as it's worth giving a thumbs up to the FG, this is really a national shame. When countries like South Africa, Algeria, Morocco, etc - are using high speed trains, we're just getting to start using 19th Century locomotive trains?
What have they been using those our collective wealth for? I mean the trillions of dollars we've made since Independence? Power? Zero? Industries - zero?
And why can't Abuja pioneer high speed trains (being the national capital) while other states use these wacky locomotives for the time being?

Do you have any idea how fast the train will be going? This is a Metro train. Nothing close to what you described as locomotive train
Re: The 12 Stations On The Abuja Light Rail Phase 1 Corridor Have Been Completed by deji17: 9:45pm On Jan 10, 2018
biblegirl:
only corridor has bn completed

You just have to complain grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: The 12 Stations On The Abuja Light Rail Phase 1 Corridor Have Been Completed by deji17: 9:46pm On Jan 10, 2018
arinzeejikonye:
See the beauty of continuity,
The government should get on with other infrastructural projects, cover more regions and cities, Second niger bridge, bonny - bodo bridge, etc,

Justice for all.

Chai. Some people don get employment be that. Was this job ever advertised? I see people in training room. Nigeria shall be great.
Re: The 12 Stations On The Abuja Light Rail Phase 1 Corridor Have Been Completed by victorazyvictor(m): 9:48pm On Jan 10, 2018
Jesusloveyou:
What else will this government fulfill within 2yrs, what PDP could not do for 16yrs

Don't be fooled, am in Abuja and this news is false.
The light rail has been where GEJ left it. Don't be deceived I live in Abuja.

3 Likes

Re: The 12 Stations On The Abuja Light Rail Phase 1 Corridor Have Been Completed by Nobody: 9:57pm On Jan 10, 2018
deji17:

Chai. Some people don get employment be that. Was this job ever advertised? I see people in training room. Nigeria shall be great.

LOL, , I got to meet peeps employed from kaduna, Taraba, nasarawa, niger, Plateau working at different sections and departments,

This project didn't really get to densely populated points in the city, though this is just lot 1a,3of phase 1,more routes will be covered by phase 2,from the depiction of the masterplan, phase 1 is just spread across airport, idu, kubwa, central area,

Abuja got densely populated suburbs at Nyanya - maraba axis onwards keffi nasarawa, Zuba-gwagwalada - abaji axis onwards lokoja kogi, Zuba-madala onwards suleja-tafa niger kaduna, kubwa - dutse - bwari axis onwards kaduna, which gets to rigasa is the completed route.

1 Like

Re: The 12 Stations On The Abuja Light Rail Phase 1 Corridor Have Been Completed by slimthugchimee(m): 10:00pm On Jan 10, 2018
victorazyvictor:

So you mean the pictures are just acting undecided

6 Likes

Re: The 12 Stations On The Abuja Light Rail Phase 1 Corridor Have Been Completed by Nobody: 10:02pm On Jan 10, 2018
Is pmb working the talks?

1 Like

Re: The 12 Stations On The Abuja Light Rail Phase 1 Corridor Have Been Completed by Nobody: 10:03pm On Jan 10, 2018
slimthugchimee:

So you mean the pictures are just acting undecided

Don't mind d fool maybe he's in one remote village

3 Likes

Re: The 12 Stations On The Abuja Light Rail Phase 1 Corridor Have Been Completed by deji17: 10:07pm On Jan 10, 2018
arinzeejikonye:

LOL, ,I got to meet peeps employed from kaduna, Taraba, nasarawa, niger, Plateau working at different sections and departments,

This project didn't really get to densely populated points in the city, though this is just lot 1a,3of phase 1,more routes will be covered by phase 2,from the depiction of the masterplan, phase 1 is just spread across airport, idu, kubwa, central area,

Abuja got densely populated suburbs at Nyanya - maraba axis onwards keffi nasarawa, Zuba-gwagwalada - abaji axis onwards lokoja kogi, Zuba-madala onwards suleja-tafa niger kaduna, kubwa - dutse - bwari axis onwards kaduna, which gets to rigasa is the completed route.

Na only people from the North, waka come? Dem suppose advertise that job nationwide. Eye dey red o. grin grin grin grin
Re: The 12 Stations On The Abuja Light Rail Phase 1 Corridor Have Been Completed by Nobody: 10:09pm On Jan 10, 2018
Let me branch over to gidi,
Piling for the Lagoon bridge is still on course,

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 12 Stations On The Abuja Light Rail Phase 1 Corridor Have Been Completed by deji17: 10:11pm On Jan 10, 2018
arinzeejikonye:
Let me branch over to gidi,
Piling for the Lagoon bridge is still on course,

Arinze, how you dey get all these project pictures? Do you work for the construction company? Lagoon bridge, where is it serving?Is it for the rail?

Thanks for the pictures oh my brother. Nigeria has suddenly become a huge construction site despite low oil revenue...
Re: The 12 Stations On The Abuja Light Rail Phase 1 Corridor Have Been Completed by bajeen(m): 10:13pm On Jan 10, 2018
Wow. Please keep us posted OP. I haven't been quite happy with FG's infrastructural commitment until I saw this.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The 12 Stations On The Abuja Light Rail Phase 1 Corridor Have Been Completed by Nobody: 10:15pm On Jan 10, 2018
deji17:

Na only people from the North, waka come? Dem suppose advertise that job nationwide. Eye dey red o. grin grin grin grin

There are different sections,
Some other sections accommodated peeps from other parts and regions,

The works are divergent in myriads of specializations grouped into sections, really cumbersome

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The 12 Stations On The Abuja Light Rail Phase 1 Corridor Have Been Completed by deji17: 10:20pm On Jan 10, 2018
arinzeejikonye:

There are different sections,
Some other sections accommodated peeps from other parts and regions,

The works are divergent in myriads of specializations grouped into sections, really cumbersome

Thanks. These pictures and the news wey you dey give us so, e dey sweet my belle. grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: The 12 Stations On The Abuja Light Rail Phase 1 Corridor Have Been Completed by Nobody: 10:25pm On Jan 10, 2018
deji17:

Arinze, how you dey get all these project pictures? Do you work for the construction company? Lagoon bridge, where is it serving?Is it for the rail?

Thanks for the pictures oh my brother. Nigeria has suddenly become a huge construction site despite low oil revenue...

Credit to laotze,
This is just a tip of the iceberg,
Imagine structural economic implications of having second niger bridge and bonny-bodo bridge, loko-oweto bridge, Mambila hydroelectric dam, zungeru hydroelectric dam, coastal line corridor projects completed,

If continuity can become part of our grand norm and constitutional appendage we will be better for it , irrespective of the purveyors of leadership or incumbent party,

Like common opines,
Hands to the Heavens, no man, no weapon
Formed against, yes glory is destined
Every day women and men become legends
Sins that go against our skin become blessings
The movement is a rhythm to us
Freedom is like religion to us
Justice is juxtapositionin' us
Justice for all just ain't specific enough.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 12 Stations On The Abuja Light Rail Phase 1 Corridor Have Been Completed by chieni(f): 10:35pm On Jan 10, 2018
commendable. pls they should complete it oh

1 Like

Re: The 12 Stations On The Abuja Light Rail Phase 1 Corridor Have Been Completed by greatman247(m): 11:07pm On Jan 10, 2018
shervydman:

Can u take a Lexus to battleground cos it looks sexy??

What I'm driving at is that.....every devices have different functions, SA is beautiful and developed than Nigeria, they deserve sexy train n they can maintain it too.

Let Nigeria develop and have maintenance culture like SA before demanding for sexy trains. wink

Wow i sincerely love the way you tackled issues. It really shows your level of maturity and that you did your research well. You nailed that Davidson of a guy, even though he had few points too though... God bless you guys, God bless Nigeria, our country.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The 12 Stations On The Abuja Light Rail Phase 1 Corridor Have Been Completed by Rossikk(m): 11:46pm On Jan 10, 2018
victorazyvictor:

Shut up, you liar. The project is 99% complete. A LOT OF WORK has happened since Jonathan. Lying fool.
Re: The 12 Stations On The Abuja Light Rail Phase 1 Corridor Have Been Completed by matrixme(m): 11:55pm On Jan 10, 2018
Nonsense. Bunch of irrelevant stuff making the headlines. They built high speed rail lines that bypassed The Maraba/Nyaya axis which is the most densely populated route in Abuja and they are even bringing just 2 coaches to start with.
I hope they won't end up like those sorry ass trains that people jampack themselves in every evening along Oshodi / Ijoko axis in Lagos. You need to pity those yeye trains.
Re: The 12 Stations On The Abuja Light Rail Phase 1 Corridor Have Been Completed by Rossikk(m): 12:39am On Jan 11, 2018
matrixme:
Nonsense. Bunch of irrelevant stuff making the headlines. They built high speed rail lines that bypassed The Maraba/Nyaya axis which is the most densely populated route in Abuja and they are even bringing just 2 coaches to start with.
I hope they won't end up like those sorry ass trains that people jampack themselves in every evening along Oshodi / Ijoko axis in Lagos. You need to pity those yeye trains.

No. They should just bring all the coaches at one time and risk commotion rather than a gradual phase in of the trains as NORMAL SOCIETIES DO.

When it ends in confusion, you will be the first to complain.

1 Like

Re: The 12 Stations On The Abuja Light Rail Phase 1 Corridor Have Been Completed by Nobody: 1:28am On Jan 11, 2018
Uyeye:
sad

I really wanna know why Nigeria is building railway in Niger Republic with borrowed money

Nigerian railway to Maradi in Niger Republic? No way!

UROWAYINO WARAMI 
8 JAN 2018

By chereome Nnanna

For some reasons unknown to me, Nigerians are no longer paying attention to things that matter about the way they are being ruled. They no longer pay attention to some of the things their rulers say. Otherwise, a strange item in President Muhammadu Buhari’s New Year Day speech should have brought millions of Nigerians to the streets in angry protests.

When first I listened to the President making that speech I could not believe my ears. So I had to wait until the mainstream media published the full text of the speech, and there it was in cold print: “Negotiations are also advanced for the construction of other railway lines, firstly from Kano to Maradi in Niger Republic passing through Kazaure, Daura, Katsina, Jibia to Maradi”.

Maradi is the third largest city in Niger Republic with a predominant Hausa/Fulani population. It is about an hour’s drive through a bumpy road from Jibia, the border town near Buhari’s hometown, Daura, in Katsina State. When I went to cover the 2007 presidential election in which Buhari ran on the All Nigerian People’s Party, ANPP, in 2007 and the late President Umaru Yar’ Adua of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, I had joined a team of journalists that went to Daura to visit Buhari for an interview. We also monitored the election in Jibia, which is a border town with Niger.

I realised how easy it was for people from the two countries to cross the rickety border post manned by a man dressed virtually in rags. He only smiled when we decided to set foot on Niger Republic soil. Indeed, it may interest Nigerians to know that Daura Emirate stretches deep into Maradi and Zinder Departments in Niger Republic. During the 2015 election, there were reports of thousands of people from Niger Republic crossing the porous borders to vote in an election that was none of the business of their country. In the far North Nigerian electoral officials hardly ask questions about the eligibility of voters. That is why you see millions of under-aged voters voting, and at the end the polls are declared “free and fair”.

Once Buhari achieved his life’s ambition of matching Olusegun Obasanjo’s feat as a former military ruler who became an elected President of Nigeria, his visit to Niger Republic became the first of the 22 foreign trips he made within 11 months before he was slowed down by ill-health. He was received by the President and people of Niger like a triumphant son back from the battlefield. Niger Republic President, Mahamadou Issoufou, gave him a white horse and a golden sword. In fact, Issoufou, in 2016, emblazoned Buhari’s photograph beside his own on vehicles during political campaigns.

I went into all this to let you know that the planned new Nigerian railway network from Kano through Daura and Jibia to Maradi in Niger Republic is a selfish project that has nothing to do with other Nigerians like you and me. Even though a president’s oath of office indicates: “….that I will not allow my personal interest to influence my official conducts or my official decisions…”, Nigerian presidents and governors brazenly disregard their oaths of office and oaths of allegiance and divert the state’s or nation’s resources to their pockets, and after that, to massively develop the infrastructures of their hometowns no matter how remote such places are.

For me, if Buhari had merely sought to connect his hometown, Daura, and even Jibia to the new national railway network, I would not have minded it too much, though it violates the principle of economic viability and bankability, which the largely borrowed funds will emphasise in order that we repay the debts in good time. The same logic that led the British colonialists to pass the Eastern rail line through Eha Amufu in today’s Enugu State and terminate it at Nguru in today’s Yobe State and pass the Western line through Kaura Namoda in today’s Zamfara State can also be adduced to extend the new rail network through Daura to Jibia, even if a president did not hail from there.

The offensive aspect is extending the railway 55 kilometres into a foreign land just because the President considers the region as part of his hometown.

When the Minister of Transport, Mr Rotimi Amaechi, was called upon by critics of this unviable extension of our railway to defend it, his response was vacuous and of very little use as a justification. By the way, the proposed new rail addition from Kano through Kazaure, Daura and Jibia to Maradi covers a whopping distance of 806 kilometres, which is more than the distance from Lagos to Abuja (779km) and Lagos to Calabar (770km). It is important for Nigerians to know the scale of the rail line and the amount of borrowed and oil money we are going to dump on this aspect of the project just to gratify the personal whims of the President.

Hear the Minister: “We realised that we had competitors for our landlocked neighbours, competitors like Ghana, Togo and even Benin Republic. Our landlocked neighbours are importing through these countries because we don’t have rail lines that go to them. So, to address the situation Mr President approved a rail line that will go to Maradi in Niger. But that rail line which will come from Kano to Maradi in Niger must pass through some cities. So the rail line passes through Kazaure, and then Daura before proceeding to Jibia and then Maradi”.

The questions the President and the Minister should answer are: Did “our competitors” like Ghana, Togo and Benin Republic build rail lines into Burkina Faso, Niger and Mali and thus stole the “competition” from Nigeria? The answer, obviously, is no. Secondly, why don’t we also extend the favour to Chad and Burkina Faso if indeed we need their patronage? Thirdly, what “competition” is Amaechi referring to? How much do Ghana, Togo and Benin Republic make from imports that our landlocked neighbours route through their countries that makes it enviable which Nigeria should scramble to snatch?

It would be a different ball game if Nigeria and Niger Republic signed a memorandum of understanding to share the cost of the rail line, each country taking the financial responsibility to build the lines that run through their respective territorial jurisdictions.

One thing Nigerians must never forget is that we are borrowing heavily from China, Europe and the Breton-Wood institutions to build our standard gauge railway network. Repayment for the loans which outlay is not available to me at this moment will span decades. Most of us will be gone from the surface of the earth while the repayment will devolve to our children and possibly their children.

This is why we must never keep silent when the ruling party and leaders so brazenly violate the nation’s interests and abuse their offices by throwing projects from these loans into unviable remote hamlets, including hamlets in a foreign country that happens to be a part of their hometown.

I am very sure that our National Assembly, especially the very responsive Senate, will thoroughly examine this railway plan and its funding and protect the interests of all Nigerians, including those of their future generations. Sanitising the implementation of this railway plan will be a prime opportunity to prove that this country belongs to all of us. Nobody, no matter how highly placed, will be allowed to take what belongs to all of us for himself and his kinsmen alone.

We are in a democracy, not a military autocracy. Even if we must accommodate Daura and Jibia to make Buhari happy, the rail line must NEVER be extended an inch into a foreign soil.

Permit me to make inputs and disect this bone of contention,
I quite appreciate the fact that the author is advocating for prioritization of opportunity cost, thereby entrenching scale down of the proposed extension to neighbouring countries owing to the fact of little or scarce funds for their execution,and comparative measurement of distances in other corridors, that been said, I guess the minister is outlaying the wholistic overview of not just the Nigerian territorial masterplan, but that of the regional masterplan in the sub region, we have not heard of funding extension to such places, maybe by joint venture between the nation's involved,if that be the case any way more lucid clarification will be needed from the government,

To buttress my observations, First, in this millenia, you can't afford to disconnect /isolate yourself from transregional /transcontinental economic integration, that in its simplest of terms are counterproductive, because what ever affects you affects your neighbors, be it retrogression,or progression, vice versa, when you sneeze, your neighbors catch cold, the shock reverberates and transcends to your neighbors, and this could have counter implications, which would definitely make or Mar the region. It is a dangerous presipise that is avoidable.

Case in point, the bokoharam terrorism transformation from little meagre cells to full blown terror group crisscrossing Nigeria, niger, Chad, Cameroun,
Ebola affecting Liberia, Guinea, Sierra Leone, Nigeria, Cameroun etc,
Opening of lago dam gates of Cameroun leading to flooding in Nigeria,
Bakassi Peninsula impass,
Tauregs/fulani clash,
Desertification of Sahara
Militancy and pirates affecting inflow of investments
Depletion of Lake chad
Political instabilities etc

The world is dismantling economic trade borders to bring economic cohesion, it is still a global village and will remain like that for the umpteenth time and nearest future,

Can't you see that Kenya is linking Nairobi, Nakuru to Mombasa to dares Salam in Tanzania, To Kampala in Uganda, to Addis Ababa in Ethiopia to Mogadishu in Somalia to Djibouti, Kigali - Rwanda in East Africa,

While southafrican jozi links Harare, bulawayo, in Zimbabwe, Luanda in Angola, Botswana, Lesotho, etc

Egyptian - North African belt,
Cairo-Capetown belt

While the West African transregional corridor got lagos - benin-lome - Accra - Abidjan - Bamako - Dakar - fez, casablanca corridor,
Just like the coastal line will be linking Cameroun,

a wealthy nation in the midst /surrounded by poor nations is a ticking time bomb, and an ill wind that will blow no one no good, so you got to be concerned about the happenings in your neighborhood.

So the construction of these lines are the manifestation of masterplan which is expected to be a consolidation of regional economic integration,

These rail lines have critical structural economic implications, hence they are arteries carrying agro-belt, with transit points, supply points, demand points, backward integration points etc,

This will aid self sufficiency, surplus for export, refrigerated coaches for agricultural supply chain, To mitigate wastages from spoilage of perishables,fastidious movement transportation logistics to help ease of business, and increase in productivity.

economic integration is key,
The waters flowing into the tributaries feeding our hydroelectric dams like Mambila, kashimbila, zungeru, shiroro, kainji, jebba, gurara, Lower usman, argungu, benue, bosso, niger, have their collections and sources and flows from our neighbors from central African region, West African region,

Some made compromises and didn't dam their water bodies, if they had, we won't have enough flow to generate our hydroelectric power supply, no matter how we contest it, the gas sources can't be enough to power the whole country, because we still depend heavily on crude export for forex, coupled with the uncertain future and fluctuating features of non-renewables in the global economic market.

In essence the purposefulness of economic integration mustn't be defeated, in as much as the daura monarch has sphere of jurisdiction extending to niger, however, we could have joint venture while the Blueprint of the masterplan is undergoing implementation,

Just like the transborder communities are replete on the western flank between Nigeria and Benin(shaki cotounou, seme) , and Cameroonian - nigerian flank etc,

The summation of my assertions is that,
What ever be the case for execution of the projects there must be a linkage with our neighbors in the sub region,both northern/ eastern flank, and Western/coastal/southern flank, as for funding we could decide to do our bit solely/separately , while our neighbors equally do theirs, with a consideration of synergy of linkage of the lines to make up the regional corridor, or we all do it jointly when works reaches border communities of the separate countries, which ever way, it's a win win.
My major distaste on these projects is the periodization of their execution, time-lapse, intermittent delays, beurocratic impediments, etc

My opinions.

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The 12 Stations On The Abuja Light Rail Phase 1 Corridor Have Been Completed by alolatee(m): 3:29am On Jan 11, 2018
shervydman:

Oga, this is a metro line, commonly called light-rail. High speed trains are for interstate while this metro line is intrastate. U can't expect an intrastate rail to be high speed.

Secondly, Morocco is the only African country with high speed train. Thanks.
where ignorance reigns
Re: The 12 Stations On The Abuja Light Rail Phase 1 Corridor Have Been Completed by alolatee(m): 4:20am On Jan 11, 2018
Uyeye:
sad

Nigerian railway to Maradi in Niger Republic? No way!

UROWAYINO WARAMI 
8 JAN 2018

By chereome Nnanna

For some reasons unknown to me, Nigerians are no longer paying attention to things that matter about the way they are being ruled. They no longer pay attention to some of the things their rulers say. Otherwise, a strange item in President Muhammadu Buhari’s New Year Day speech should have brought millions of Nigerians to the streets in angry protests.

When first I listened to the President making that speech I could not believe my ears. So I had to wait until the mainstream media published the full text of the speech, and there it was in cold print: “Negotiations are also advanced for the construction of other railway lines, firstly from Kano to Maradi in Niger Republic passing through Kazaure, Daura, Katsina, Jibia to Maradi”.

Maradi is the third largest city in Niger Republic with a predominant Hausa/Fulani population. It is about an hour’s drive through a bumpy road from Jibia, the border town near Buhari’s hometown, Daura, in Katsina State. When I went to cover the 2007 presidential election in which Buhari ran on the All Nigerian People’s Party, ANPP, in 2007 and the late President Umaru Yar’ Adua of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, I had joined a team of journalists that went to Daura to visit Buhari for an interview. We also monitored the election in Jibia, which is a border town with Niger.

I realised how easy it was for people from the two countries to cross the rickety border post manned by a man dressed virtually in rags. He only smiled when we decided to set foot on Niger Republic soil. Indeed, it may interest Nigerians to know that Daura Emirate stretches deep into Maradi and Zinder Departments in Niger Republic. During the 2015 election, there were reports of thousands of people from Niger Republic crossing the porous borders to vote in an election that was none of the business of their country. In the far North Nigerian electoral officials hardly ask questions about the eligibility of voters. That is why you see millions of under-aged voters voting, and at the end the polls are declared “free and fair”.

Once Buhari achieved his life’s ambition of matching Olusegun Obasanjo’s feat as a former military ruler who became an elected President of Nigeria, his visit to Niger Republic became the first of the 22 foreign trips he made within 11 months before he was slowed down by ill-health. He was received by the President and people of Niger like a triumphant son back from the battlefield. Niger Republic President, Mahamadou Issoufou, gave him a white horse and a golden sword. In fact, Issoufou, in 2016, emblazoned Buhari’s photograph beside his own on vehicles during political campaigns.

I went into all this to let you know that the planned new Nigerian railway network from Kano through Daura and Jibia to Maradi in Niger Republic is a selfish project that has nothing to do with other Nigerians like you and me. Even though a president’s oath of office indicates: “….that I will not allow my personal interest to influence my official conducts or my official decisions…”, Nigerian presidents and governors brazenly disregard their oaths of office and oaths of allegiance and divert the state’s or nation’s resources to their pockets, and after that, to massively develop the infrastructures of their hometowns no matter how remote such places are.

For me, if Buhari had merely sought to connect his hometown, Daura, and even Jibia to the new national railway network, I would not have minded it too much, though it violates the principle of economic viability and bankability, which the largely borrowed funds will emphasise in order that we repay the debts in good time. The same logic that led the British colonialists to pass the Eastern rail line through Eha Amufu in today’s Enugu State and terminate it at Nguru in today’s Yobe State and pass the Western line through Kaura Namoda in today’s Zamfara State can also be adduced to extend the new rail network through Daura to Jibia, even if a president did not hail from there.

The offensive aspect is extending the railway 55 kilometres into a foreign land just because the President considers the region as part of his hometown.

When the Minister of Transport, Mr Rotimi Amaechi, was called upon by critics of this unviable extension of our railway to defend it, his response was vacuous and of very little use as a justification. By the way, the proposed new rail addition from Kano through Kazaure, Daura and Jibia to Maradi covers a whopping distance of 806 kilometres, which is more than the distance from Lagos to Abuja (779km) and Lagos to Calabar (770km). It is important for Nigerians to know the scale of the rail line and the amount of borrowed and oil money we are going to dump on this aspect of the project just to gratify the personal whims of the President.

Hear the Minister: “We realised that we had competitors for our landlocked neighbours, competitors like Ghana, Togo and even Benin Republic. Our landlocked neighbours are importing through these countries because we don’t have rail lines that go to them. So, to address the situation Mr President approved a rail line that will go to Maradi in Niger. But that rail line which will come from Kano to Maradi in Niger must pass through some cities. So the rail line passes through Kazaure, and then Daura before proceeding to Jibia and then Maradi”.

The questions the President and the Minister should answer are: Did “our competitors” like Ghana, Togo and Benin Republic build rail lines into Burkina Faso, Niger and Mali and thus stole the “competition” from Nigeria? The answer, obviously, is no. Secondly, why don’t we also extend the favour to Chad and Burkina Faso if indeed we need their patronage? Thirdly, what “competition” is Amaechi referring to? How much do Ghana, Togo and Benin Republic make from imports that our landlocked neighbours route through their countries that makes it enviable which Nigeria should scramble to snatch?

It would be a different ball game if Nigeria and Niger Republic signed a memorandum of understanding to share the cost of the rail line, each country taking the financial responsibility to build the lines that run through their respective territorial jurisdictions.

One thing Nigerians must never forget is that we are borrowing heavily from China, Europe and the Breton-Wood institutions to build our standard gauge railway network. Repayment for the loans which outlay is not available to me at this moment will span decades. Most of us will be gone from the surface of the earth while the repayment will devolve to our children and possibly their children.

This is why we must never keep silent when the ruling party and leaders so brazenly violate the nation’s interests and abuse their offices by throwing projects from these loans into unviable remote hamlets, including hamlets in a foreign country that happens to be a part of their hometown.

I am very sure that our National Assembly, especially the very responsive Senate, will thoroughly examine this railway plan and its funding and protect the interests of all Nigerians, including those of their future generations. Sanitising the implementation of this railway plan will be a prime opportunity to prove that this country belongs to all of us. Nobody, no matter how highly placed, will be allowed to take what belongs to all of us for himself and his kinsmen alone.

We are in a democracy, not a military autocracy. Even if we must accommodate Daura and Jibia to make Buhari happy, the rail line must NEVER be extended an inch into a foreign soil.
Re: The 12 Stations On The Abuja Light Rail Phase 1 Corridor Have Been Completed by naijaboy756: 5:40am On Jan 11, 2018
Buhari and completing projects are 5 nd 6. TSA,Speed train etc yet he will say GEJ did nothing. what is he initiating that the incoming govt in 2019 will complete?
Re: The 12 Stations On The Abuja Light Rail Phase 1 Corridor Have Been Completed by deji17: 5:49am On Jan 11, 2018
naijaboy756:
Buhari and completing projects are 5 nd 6. TSA,Speed train etc yet he will say GEJ did nothing. what is he initiating that the incoming govt in 2019 will complete?

Nigeria's problem has never been with initiating something. The problem has always been with implementation and completion. That is where Buhari stands out.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 12 Stations On The Abuja Light Rail Phase 1 Corridor Have Been Completed by ThatCEO: 5:54am On Jan 11, 2018
shervydman:

Oga, this are not high speed trains....high speed trains are trains that has a speed of 250km/h or 160m/h and above. Older versions of high speed trains has a speed of 200km/h or 120m/h.
Guatrain in SA has a speed of 160km/h or 99m/h.

Algeria doesn't have high speed train either...they have tramways instead, get ur facts right.

I repeat, only Morocco has a high speed in Africa, as a matter of fact, it's still under construction.

If u're talking based on appearance of the train, fine...but calling duck a hen is not right for u.

Thanks.

You don't have to reply everybody. Even interstate highway speed trains which steadily hit over 300kmph slows down to the speed of a tortoise once they enter a city. Why then will the FG waste money on high-speed when light rail will do the same job?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The 12 Stations On The Abuja Light Rail Phase 1 Corridor Have Been Completed by phineas: 7:29am On Jan 11, 2018
deji17:

Nigeria's problem has never been with initiating something. The problem has always been with implementation and completion. That is where Buhari stands out.

Actually he needs to explain in lay terms,I'm glad he did.Nigerians have the habit of speaking over confidently on things they know little or nothing about.When their little or false knowledge is allowed to stand unchallenged,others chorus it like fact.

Nairaland is an opportunity to not just correct one misguided youth, but thousands that lurk in the shadows who do not know,will not read but pretend to know and will spew the same half knowledge with all confidence while criticising the output of professionals way better than they are in their chosen field
Re: The 12 Stations On The Abuja Light Rail Phase 1 Corridor Have Been Completed by ikwubaba: 9:39am On Jan 11, 2018
shervydman:

Can u take a Lexus to battleground cos it looks sexy??

What I'm driving at is that.....every devices have different functions, SA is beautiful and developed than Nigeria, they deserve sexy train n they can maintain it too.

Let Nigeria develop and have maintenance culture like SA before demanding for sexy trains. wink

What is really ugly about this train couches? I know sense of beauty is relative. we can juxtapose with UK trains, talking about external looks alone.
Re: The 12 Stations On The Abuja Light Rail Phase 1 Corridor Have Been Completed by naijaboy756: 10:23am On Jan 11, 2018
deji17:

Stands out in failure... Now what will the 2019 new incoming Government implement and complete that Buhari started

BLAMING JONATHAN I GUESS!!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fashola Wins Support Of Lagos Senators… Amaechi Still Stranded / How Dasuki Shared N30b 'Loot' To PDP, Reps, Anenih, Senator Ayu - The Nation / The Reasons Former President Jonathan Fired Former NNPC GMD, Andrew Yakubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.