Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,250 members, 7,839,300 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 04:32 PM

My Mom Has Been Diagnosed With Spinal Stenosis With Radiculopathy? - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / My Mom Has Been Diagnosed With Spinal Stenosis With Radiculopathy? (2183 Views)

Have Just Been Diagnosed With Herpes / I Have Been Diagnosed With Bronchitis And Pneumonia (Photos) / I've Been Diagnosed With Stage 1 Colon Cancer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Mom Has Been Diagnosed With Spinal Stenosis With Radiculopathy? by ifyalways(f): 9:18pm On Aug 31, 2018
iykbethany:
Hello everyone I hope you all are doing great.
You will recall I came here several months ago about my moms spinal cord problem. I wanted to fly her to the UK but the UK visa was taking too long, I also wanted to try Israel, contacted many Israeli hospitals online, Lisa Kurztag, Medical Consultant of Herzliya Medical Center (www.hmcisrael.com) told me it will take 1 month because their embassy in Nigeria was going to close for long period bc of some holidays in Israel or something like that so I decided to fly my mom to India because she was in serious pains and the doctors in Nigeria said she need the surgery urgently to avoid paralysis, death or stroke.

While in Abuja for moms UK visa processing we went to Primus just incase, to be honest I didnt like the place, its just like your normal Nigerian hospitals. Yes there were many Indian doctors and nurses at Primus facility in Abuja, but I said to myself if it must be handled by Indians then I have to take her to the best hospital in India.
Another thing that convinced me to go to India was the fact that most of the top doctors in Europe, Australia and America are Indian doctors. Infact out of the 5 UK hospitals that replied, 3 of them had Indian doctors heading their Neurosurgery department including (KING'S COLLEGE HOSPITAL NHS FOUNDATION TRUST).

Choosing a hospital in India wasn’t easy for me because I don’t want any mistakes. I know that God is the giver and taker of life but I also know that in good hospitals the chances of mistake is minimal. So I choose[b] Indraprastha Apollo Hospital New Delhi [/b]over Fortis and other Indian hospitals because Appollo Hospital seems to be the best hospital group in India for spinal cord surgery, its also the most expensive, every Indian I met complained about the high costs.

Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals (JCI USA accredited) is one of the oldest and most prestigious multi-speciality tertiary acute care hospital in India. With 52 specialties under one roof, Apollo Hospital is one of the most sought after destinations in Asia for healthcare).

Another reason I choose Apollo Hospital Delhi is because the Orthopaedic Surgeon that will handle my mom’s case, Dr. Yash Gulati seems to be among the best in India. Online research shows that DR. YASH GULATI was personal doctor to the president of India and he also has the following national Awards in India.

Padma Shri National Award by president of India
Dr. B.C Roy National Award.
Hon. Surgeon to President of India (2016)

PROFILE OF THE TREATING DOCTOR (DR YASH GULATI):

DR. YASH GULATI
Specialization: Orthopaedics and Spine
Department: Institutes of Spine
Qualification: MBBS, MS (Ortho), Mch(Ortho) England, Dip Sports Medicine Dublin

APPOINTMENT
Fellowships / Memberships
 Indian Orthopaedic Association (IOA)
 Association of Spine Surgeon of India
 Indian Arthroplasty Association (IAA)
 Indian Society for Hip & Knee Surgeons (ISHKS)
 Delhi Orthopaedic Association (DOA)
 South Delhi Orthopaedic Society (SDOS)
 Indian Medical Association (IMA)
 Delhi Medical Association (DMA)
 Indian Federation Of Sports Medicine (IFSM)
 Delhi Medical Council (DMC)
Awards and Achievements
 Awarded Padma Shri by President of India.
 Commendation from President, Indian Orthopaedic Association.
 Commendation by Delhi Orthopaedic Association.
 ‘Romesh Chander’ Best Doctor Award for his Service to the Elderly.
 Commendation Award by International President of Lions Club.
 ‘Chiktask Ratna Award’ given by Akhil Bhartiya

 Swantrata Lekhak Manch.
 Awarded ‘Distinguished Service Award’ by President New Delhi IMA, New Delhi on Doctor’s Day June.
 Commendation Certificate from Aligarh Muslim
 University for teaching Spinal Surgery to Teaching
 Faculty in Orthopaedic & established Spine Surgery.
 Commendation certificate from Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh, for Teaching.
 Best Paper Award, Annual Orthopaedic Conference, Delhi.

The above CV/awards is what gave me the confidence to treat my mom at Apollo Hospital.

Once I chose Apollo over other hospitals, I contacted Apollo team via whatsapp/email and requested for Support Letter to enable me to apply for a Medical visa from the Indian embassy in Nigeria. Within 24 hours the support letter was sent to me, so I booked our tickets and departed to Abuja.

We got the Indian visa the next day bc I made sure i met the Indian ambassador to Nigeria and explained my moms situation to him. He was a nice man.

Travel from Abuja to India was smooth, it was Emirates flight. Same as coming back. Good weather, good pilot and very friendly cabin crew.

It was my first time in India so I really didn't know what to expect. I have read many negative things online so it will be good to see things as it is. Anyways I will concentrate on the medical journey.

Once we landed at Indian airport Apollo Hospital staffs were already on ground to receive us, they gave us free ride from Airport straight to the hospital. We were directed to the international department to register and book appointment to see our consultant which is Dr. Gulati.

I wouldn't want this to be too long so in summery we met our consultant, he examined mom, asked her some questions and then recommended several scans, xrays, tests etc which we did.

In conclusion I want to say that Dr. Gulati may be good but he is very arrogant or will I say proud. In India they told me that he is a celebrity doctor, and very rich man, maybe thats why he talks to patients anyhow. For example, they gave me bill saying they will use screws / implants, but on our second consultation with him he said he think he may not use screws and I said sir I hope if you dont use screws it will not make us to come back for another surgery. Instead of explaining things to me he bluntly said "IF YOU LIKE I OPEN UP THE WHOLE PLACE AND PUT SCREWS". Fear catch me sef. I am your patient and this is your profession, why not calm the Bleep down and explain it to me better. I did some google search and saw that many Indians are complaining about his attitude too.

He never gave us enough time to talk to him, during each consultation he is always busy with his pen, once he is done writing he asks one question and he is done, you have to leave. Maybe bc there are tons of people waiting to see him, I dont know. But other Indians spend 10 minutes in his office, I take note of everything that happened in the hospital, my secret camera is always busy....

I thank God that my mom is fine now though he still complains of pains but Dr. Gulati said its ok since the pains is not like before and mom can stand well now better than before but not perfectly standing.

ifyalways nwannem I am inviting you to our thanksgiving service this December 27.
Thanks to everyone that contributed to this thread, Nutase, Zuluhead, kingreign, ifyalways
Im on overseas business trip, when I am back and relaxed i will write more. God bless you all
Thank God for your mom, Iyke nwamnem. I'm so very happy for you. Wish her speedy recovery and good health . smiley
Re: My Mom Has Been Diagnosed With Spinal Stenosis With Radiculopathy? by Zuluhead(m): 9:36pm On Sep 07, 2018
kiss
iykbethany:
Hello everyone I hope you all are doing great.
You will recall I came here several months ago about my moms spinal cord problem. I wanted to fly her to the UK but the UK visa was taking too long, I also wanted to try Israel, contacted many Israeli hospitals online, Lisa Kurztag, Medical Consultant of Herzliya Medical Center (www.hmcisrael.com) told me it will take 1 month because their embassy in Nigeria was going to close for long period bc of some holidays in Israel or something like that so I decided to fly my mom to India because she was in serious pains and the doctors in Nigeria said she need the surgery urgently to avoid paralysis, death or stroke.

While in Abuja for moms UK visa processing we went to Primus just incase, to be honest I didnt like the place, its just like your normal Nigerian hospitals. Yes there were many Indian doctors and nurses at Primus facility in Abuja, but I said to myself if it must be handled by Indians then I have to take her to the best hospital in India.
Another thing that convinced me to go to India was the fact that most of the top doctors in Europe, Australia and America are Indian doctors. Infact out of the 5 UK hospitals that replied, 3 of them had Indian doctors heading their Neurosurgery department including (KING'S COLLEGE HOSPITAL NHS FOUNDATION TRUST).

Choosing a hospital in India wasn’t easy for me because I don’t want any mistakes. I know that God is the giver and taker of life but I also know that in good hospitals the chances of mistake is minimal. So I choose[b] Indraprastha Apollo Hospital New Delhi [/b]over Fortis and other Indian hospitals because Appollo Hospital seems to be the best hospital group in India for spinal cord surgery, its also the most expensive, every Indian I met complained about the high costs.

Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals (JCI USA accredited) is one of the oldest and most prestigious multi-speciality tertiary acute care hospital in India. With 52 specialties under one roof, Apollo Hospital is one of the most sought after destinations in Asia for healthcare).

Another reason I choose Apollo Hospital Delhi is because the Orthopaedic Surgeon that will handle my mom’s case, Dr. Yash Gulati seems to be among the best in India. Online research shows that DR. YASH GULATI was personal doctor to the president of India and he also has the following national Awards in India.

Padma Shri National Award by president of India
Dr. B.C Roy National Award.
Hon. Surgeon to President of India (2016)

PROFILE OF THE TREATING DOCTOR (DR YASH GULATI):

DR. YASH GULATI
Specialization: Orthopaedics and Spine
Department: Institutes of Spine
Qualification: MBBS, MS (Ortho), Mch(Ortho) England, Dip Sports Medicine Dublin

APPOINTMENT
Fellowships / Memberships
 Indian Orthopaedic Association (IOA)
 Association of Spine Surgeon of India
 Indian Arthroplasty Association (IAA)
 Indian Society for Hip & Knee Surgeons (ISHKS)
 Delhi Orthopaedic Association (DOA)
 South Delhi Orthopaedic Society (SDOS)
 Indian Medical Association (IMA)
 Delhi Medical Association (DMA)
 Indian Federation Of Sports Medicine (IFSM)
 Delhi Medical Council (DMC)
Awards and Achievements
 Awarded Padma Shri by President of India.
 Commendation from President, Indian Orthopaedic Association.
 Commendation by Delhi Orthopaedic Association.
 ‘Romesh Chander’ Best Doctor Award for his Service to the Elderly.
 Commendation Award by International President of Lions Club.
 ‘Chiktask Ratna Award’ given by Akhil Bhartiya

 Swantrata Lekhak Manch.
 Awarded ‘Distinguished Service Award’ by President New Delhi IMA, New Delhi on Doctor’s Day June.
 Commendation Certificate from Aligarh Muslim
 University for teaching Spinal Surgery to Teaching
 Faculty in Orthopaedic & established Spine Surgery.
 Commendation certificate from Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh, for Teaching.
 Best Paper Award, Annual Orthopaedic Conference, Delhi.

The above CV/awards is what gave me the confidence to treat my mom at Apollo Hospital.

Once I chose Apollo over other hospitals, I contacted Apollo team via whatsapp/email and requested for Support Letter to enable me to apply for a Medical visa from the Indian embassy in Nigeria. Within 24 hours the support letter was sent to me, so I booked our tickets and departed to Abuja.

We got the Indian visa the next day bc I made sure i met the Indian ambassador to Nigeria and explained my moms situation to him. He was a nice man.

Travel from Abuja to India was smooth, it was Emirates flight. Same as coming back. Good weather, good pilot and very friendly cabin crew.

It was my first time in India so I really didn't know what to expect. I have read many negative things online so it will be good to see things as it is. Anyways I will concentrate on the medical journey.

Once we landed at Indian airport Apollo Hospital staffs were already on ground to receive us, they gave us free ride from Airport straight to the hospital. We were directed to the international department to register and book appointment to see our consultant which is Dr. Gulati.

I wouldn't want this to be too long so in summery we met our consultant, he examined mom, asked her some questions and then recommended several scans, xrays, tests etc which we did.

In conclusion I want to say that Dr. Gulati may be good but he is very arrogant or will I say proud. In India they told me that he is a celebrity doctor, and very rich man, maybe thats why he talks to patients anyhow. For example, they gave me bill saying they will use screws / implants, but on our second consultation with him he said he think he may not use screws and I said sir I hope if you dont use screws it will not make us to come back for another surgery. Instead of explaining things to me he bluntly said "IF YOU LIKE I OPEN UP THE WHOLE PLACE AND PUT SCREWS". Fear catch me sef. I am your patient and this is your profession, why not calm the Bleep down and explain it to me better. I did some google search and saw that many Indians are complaining about his attitude too.

He never gave us enough time to talk to him, during each consultation he is always busy with his pen, once he is done writing he asks one question and he is done, you have to leave. Maybe bc there are tons of people waiting to see him, I dont know. But other Indians spend 10 minutes in his office, I take note of everything that happened in the hospital, my secret camera is always busy....

I thank God that my mom is fine now though he still complains of pains but Dr. Gulati said its ok since the pains is not like before and mom can stand well now better than before but not perfectly standing.

ifyalways nwannem I am inviting you to our thanksgiving service this December 27.
Thanks to everyone that contributed to this thread, Nutase, Zuluhead, kingreign, ifyalways
Im on overseas business trip, when I am back and relaxed i will write more. God bless you all
the glory be give to God, happy for her health.
Re: My Mom Has Been Diagnosed With Spinal Stenosis With Radiculopathy? by iykbethany(m): 12:31pm On Sep 09, 2018
Zuluhead:
kissthe glory be give to God, happy for her health.

Thanks very much and God bless
Re: My Mom Has Been Diagnosed With Spinal Stenosis With Radiculopathy? by iykbethany(m): 12:32pm On Sep 09, 2018
ifyalways:

Thank God for your mom, Iyke nwamnem. I'm so very happy for you. Wish her speedy recovery and good health . smiley

Thanks very much beloved sis.
May God bless you always.
Happy Sunday
Re: My Mom Has Been Diagnosed With Spinal Stenosis With Radiculopathy? by umulobi: 3:40pm On Sep 09, 2018
We bless God for healing your mum.
Re: My Mom Has Been Diagnosed With Spinal Stenosis With Radiculopathy? by ladyP30(f): 9:54pm On Sep 09, 2018
My dear am so happy for your family I thank God for the successful surgery, for standing beside your mum in her trying times nd showing her great luv may God always bless and guild you all the days of your life

(1) (2) (Reply)

Check Out Inside Kanu Nwankwo’s Lagos Hotel & Cost Per Night (photos) / How To Boost Your Sperm Count Naturally / Oriflame Product For Sunburn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.