Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:23 AM

After Shave Rashes/bumps - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / After Shave Rashes/bumps (9745 Views)

Why You Shouldn’t Shave Your Pubic Hair / 6 Reasons Why You Should Shave Your Pubic Hair / Please Recommend An After Shave (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

After Shave Rashes/bumps by pweetygal(f): 8:07am On Apr 12, 2010
I noticed that anytime i shave my underarm or my bikini area i always have rashes cme out a day later.Even when i use a new razor,wash are b4 nd after shavin.D bumps stil cme out.Pls what do i do.thanks.
Re: After Shave Rashes/bumps by MCLOVIN: 1:45pm On Apr 12, 2010
the solution here is very simple and practical.
STOP SHAVING. Use a depilatory cream instead eg. VEET. I know its a little more expensive than shaving but it still gives a baby smooth finish.
Avoid shaving powders .
Re: After Shave Rashes/bumps by pweetygal(f): 8:44pm On Apr 12, 2010
I still wonda y a brand new shavin stick or razor wil gv me bumps.Thanks 4 d tip though;i got Veet 2day nd usd it bt it didnt gv me a smooth feel.
Re: After Shave Rashes/bumps by MCLOVIN: 11:56pm On Apr 12, 2010
You get bumps because you have curly stiff hairs ie youre black. A few days later when the hair begins to grow , it grows out at an angle sometimes into the skin causing the bumps.
You need to follow the directions on the veet to the letter. You can also apply some warm water before the veet.
Re: After Shave Rashes/bumps by madlady(f): 3:28am On Apr 13, 2010
pweetygal:

I still wonda y a brand new shavin stick or razor wil gv me bumps.Thanks 4 d tip though;i got Veet 2day nd usd it bt it didnt gv me a smooth feel.

Try waxing, that makes the underarm feel very smooth.
Re: After Shave Rashes/bumps by pweetygal(f): 8:24am On Apr 13, 2010
Thanks guys u've bn very helpful
Re: After Shave Rashes/bumps by deltalife(m): 1:50pm On Apr 13, 2010
MCLOVIN:

You get bumps because you have curly stiff hairs ie youre black. A few days later when the hair begins to grow , it grows out at an angle sometimes into the skin causing the bumps.
You need to follow the directions on the veet to the letter. You can also apply some warm water before the veet.
what yu explained here is exactly what I get when I shave my beared. does that recomendation of yours apply to this situation?
Re: After Shave Rashes/bumps by agathamari(f): 8:02pm On Apr 13, 2010
everyone can get these regardless of race or gender.  some are ingrown hairs some just irritations cause by the blade.  if you insist on shaving (as opposed to waxing or creams - can still cause ingrown hairs though less comon) try using a shaving cream or even as simple as baby oil or mineral oil.  it will keep the blade from grazing the skin decreasing the likelyhood of razor rash.  you can use arter shave products to minimize the bumps as welll.  try using cold water to rinse the blade as opposed to warm or hot water. remeber if you shave too often you can end up pushing the hair into the pore as opposed to cutting it giving yourself ingrown hairs.
Re: After Shave Rashes/bumps by MCLOVIN: 11:54pm On Apr 13, 2010
@ Deltalife
I switched to shaving my beard with veet because I had the same problem you had.
Needless to say, I dont have the problem anymore.
This is the method :
Use your electric razor to trim your beard hairs to about 1cm.
Next apply some warm water to soften the stuble for a few minutes.
Mop up any excess water with a face cloth/towel
Apply veet.
Wipe away after the specified time limit.
NOTE: Do not use razor again after applying the veet.
Re: After Shave Rashes/bumps by namazon: 1:10pm On Apr 18, 2010
Hi All,

I was just discussing this topic with someone the other day and its interesting I saw this post so I've decided to give it ago. Firstly, as someone already mentioned no matter what you do whether it be shave, wax, use depilatory creams (veet, nair etc.) you are going to get razor bumps. This is because of the curly hair the curls back on itself as it grows, with black people. As someone already mentioned, it is a good idea to not really shave. I would suggest to trim as close as possible. Also if you do plan to shave for whatever reason, here are some helpful tips that most people neglect or don't do at all:

1. Don't shave during your shower. Reason: The hair is still hard and may not get cut by the blade well. Solution: shave AFTER your shower when hair is the softest.

2. Make sure to exfoliate the area whether it be through using soap/cleanser on a wash cloth or loofa, or using a skin scrub just make sure to exfoliate to get that top layer of skin that could also be hiding already ingrown hairs that need to be clipped.

3. Use a quality shaving cream, NOT drying bar soaps. This makes quite a difference in a close, clean and itch free shave than to not use it. If you know you are allergic to fragrances there are sensitive skin shaving creams that you can use.

4. If you don't have access to a new razor or if it is not time to change your blade, clean your razor with alcohol and let it air dry, thus killing the germs that may harbor on the blade that you may end up transferring on to your skin, which may cause bumps and possibly pimples.

5. If you use disposable razors use the ones meant for sensitive skin as our skin is sensitive because of the curly hair. You may ask how do you know if you are using a sensitive skin razor, well whatever brand you use whether it is Bic or another, they are usually the shaving stick with only one blade NOT two which can cut too close to the skin leaving the bumps as the hair grows.

6. Disposable razors are called disposable for a reason. Stop using your razors too long. Most people use theirs way too long and don't even rinse them with alcohol after use so of course you are just asking to get bumps.

7. When you shave, shave in the direction of the hair growth. If you are not sure the direction of your hair growth before you shave take some time to look at the area in question in see which way the hair is going as it grows out of the follicles.

8. When you shave, DON'T stretch the skin. This leads to too close a shave and can result in the dreaded bumps.

9. After you shave, make sure to use a solution that will act as an anticeptic since you've just manipulated the area with a blade. There are many on the market to choose from and their magic ingredients are usually acetylsalicilic acid or glycolic acid. This step can make or break in you in your quest to stay bump free and should NEVER be neglected. If you don't have the funds to buy these solutions or don't feel like using men's aftershave (which may help), or don't feel like spending the extra money (like yours truly, lol) I have a recipe for one that I use that works EXCELLENT as well as some tips to deal with the occassional bump if you should happen to get one. If you want the recipe pm me and it shall be granted to you.

10. Smile. Razor bumps are not as bad as they may seem as long as you follow the afformentioned steps you will be fine. smiley

I hope these help as many people as it has helped me over the years of needing to be hair free.

Chinwe
Re: After Shave Rashes/bumps by deltalife(m): 11:04am On Apr 29, 2010
I have always known that people like you(a kind of mesaiah) will show-up someday.
Thanks for the invaluable info.
Re: After Shave Rashes/bumps by namazon: 7:27pm On May 03, 2010
No problem deltalife, I believe in sharing thats all. smiley
Re: After Shave Rashes/bumps by deltalife(m): 10:49am On Nov 10, 2010
You are the borm
Re: After Shave Rashes/bumps by denisa15: 3:41pm On Mar 23, 2020
Amazing info, really complete! Also, don't forget to moisturize after.

(1) (Reply)

Which Drug Can I Use For Scorpion Sting/bite / The Role Of Young People In HIV Prevention / AfDB Backs Nigeria’s COVID-19 Response Program With $288 Milion Loan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.