Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,763 members, 7,955,911 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 06:25 PM

2018 Armed Forces Remembrance Day: The First Of The January 15s - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2018 Armed Forces Remembrance Day: The First Of The January 15s (10153 Views)

El-Rufai At 2018 Armed Forces Remembrance Celebration In Kaduna (Photos) / Wike At The 2018 Armed Forces Remembrance Day In Rivers (Photos) / Buhari, Osinbajo, Saraki, Dogara At The 2018 Armed Forces Remembrance Day (Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 2018 Armed Forces Remembrance Day: The First Of The January 15s by Cekpo34(m): 7:52am On Jan 15, 2018
uchman48:
The igbos were not stupid then just that they did not suspect that their northen brothers will rise against them. What happened than is just to let us know that we should always rise to fight for our right by dusting your pvc and show them that we are not stupid.

It was never an Igbo affair...there's more than enough evidences to debunk that Igbo Coup theory. Caveat: I'm not Igbo
Re: 2018 Armed Forces Remembrance Day: The First Of The January 15s by Nobody: 7:53am On Jan 15, 2018
Developers destroying Nigeria since 1966

2 Likes

Re: 2018 Armed Forces Remembrance Day: The First Of The January 15s by Olifiz(m): 7:54am On Jan 15, 2018
See how dem just block all the roads. Secretariat, finance everywhere diversion. �‍♂️

1 Like

Re: 2018 Armed Forces Remembrance Day: The First Of The January 15s by Quality20(m): 8:00am On Jan 15, 2018
If those Igbos of d past had their ways Muslims and hausa n ijaw would have long gone into extinction in Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: 2018 Armed Forces Remembrance Day: The First Of The January 15s by Dboy55(m): 8:02am On Jan 15, 2018
#Remember the fallen
Re: 2018 Armed Forces Remembrance Day: The First Of The January 15s by uchman48(m): 8:05am On Jan 15, 2018
Cekpo34:

It was never an Igbo affair...there's more than enough evidences to debunk that Igbo Coup theory. Caveat: I'm not Igbo
i know it was never an igbo affair but the leaders then refused to see it that way because they were blinded with vengance, even till now they still harbour that resentment for the igbos. I dont think the issue of one Nigeria will be possible if the mind of the northen leaders are not cleasned of hatred for the igbos.
Re: 2018 Armed Forces Remembrance Day: The First Of The January 15s by bakynes(m): 8:05am On Jan 15, 2018
Cekpo34:

Another article or report stated that, the coup plotters planned to lay siege in the three regions and kill their premiers. Why was that of the Eastern region left alive and no siege was layed in the East?

One of the coup plotters was Azikiwe's cousin.
Zik travelled for vacation and should have returned before the coup but never returned until after the whole situation died down as reported by his personal assistant who went with him and came back home before the coup.

Why did Ironsi not court martial the coup plotters and execute them instead threw them in Eastern prisons?

All these questions begging for answers is why the whole Nigeria believed it was an Igbo coup.

3 Likes

Re: 2018 Armed Forces Remembrance Day: The First Of The January 15s by bakynes(m): 8:06am On Jan 15, 2018
Cekpo34:

Another article or report stated that, the coup plotters planned to lay siege in the three regions and kill their premiers. Why was that of the Eastern region left alive and no siege was layed in the East?

One of the coup plotters Ifeajuna was Azikiwe's cousin.
Zik travelled for vacation and should have returned before the coup but never returned until after the whole situation died down as reported by his personal assistant who went with him and came back home before the coup.

Why did Ironsi not court martial the coup plotters and execute them instead threw them in Eastern prisons?

All these questions begging for answers is why the whole Nigeria believed it was an Igbo coup.

3 Likes

Re: 2018 Armed Forces Remembrance Day: The First Of The January 15s by 2lateBiafra: 8:08am On Jan 15, 2018
Abeg which day be Igbos day.......!
Re: 2018 Armed Forces Remembrance Day: The First Of The January 15s by gidjah(m): 8:16am On Jan 15, 2018
Olifiz:
See how dem just block all the roads. Secretariat, finance everywhere diversion. �‍♂️
but thats how iy has been ever since abuja came to be na,abi u are new in fct ni? the president might wanna show up there today
Re: 2018 Armed Forces Remembrance Day: The First Of The January 15s by iyatrustee(f): 8:24am On Jan 15, 2018
Olifiz:

It was terrible. Did you see those malnourished horses riden by policemen?
Re: 2018 Armed Forces Remembrance Day: The First Of The January 15s by Cekpo34(m): 8:25am On Jan 15, 2018
bakynes:

One of the coup plotters Ifeajuna was Azikiwe's cousin.

Exactly! These your observations, coupled with others listed above make the whole thing fishy. I agree there could have been a leak. The book I have quoted up there suggest that someone even called Ironsi to warn him before his assassins got close. However, there are other indices that pointed otherwise. Whichever way, let's embrace the lessons by avoiding such mistakes again
Re: 2018 Armed Forces Remembrance Day: The First Of The January 15s by gidjah(m): 8:26am On Jan 15, 2018
Usimg this medium and opportunity to remember The fallen hero,my younger brother my friend my blood : D1 and my elder brother (colonel AB Salisu ) .who were both KIA at NE in d quest to defend this nation from d evil claws of hausa aboki boko haram under the admi istration of fisher man professor Jonathan goodluck.may the heavens visit you all with rage and justice,may sorrow and pains be your paths ,as i shed tears today your generations shall shed more yearly.LIVE ON MY BLOOE BROTHERS,I LOVE U ALL
Re: 2018 Armed Forces Remembrance Day: The First Of The January 15s by Cekpo34(m): 8:32am On Jan 15, 2018
uchman48:
i know it was never an igbo affair but the leaders then refused to see it that way because they were blinded with vengance, even till now they still harbour that resentment for the igbos. I dont think the issue of one Nigeria will be possible if the mind of the northen leaders are not cleasned of hatred for the igbos.

They had reasons to make those assumptions since there were no official briefings on the state of things. Rumours flow when official sources of information is blocked. The scenario is that even when the northern elders were abreast with the facts that say otherwise, they found the previous sophistries rather useful for the furthering of northern political interest. It was even rumoured that before the killing of the Sardauna, he had cursed the Igbo and had said that they won't rule Nigeria for the next 25 years - a position prominent Northerners still hold till today
Re: 2018 Armed Forces Remembrance Day: The First Of The January 15s by tete7000(m): 8:35am On Jan 15, 2018
uchman48:
The igbos were not stupid then just that they did not suspect that their northen brothers will rise against them. What happened than is just to let us know that we should always rise to fight for our right by dusting your pvc and show them that we are not stupid.

Pvc? When there are millions dumb and daft almajiris ready to be used to manipulate election in favour of the north.

1 Like

Re: 2018 Armed Forces Remembrance Day: The First Of The January 15s by Cekpo34(m): 8:36am On Jan 15, 2018
Okoyeebos:

You can only run from the truth, you can't hide from it. That coup was an Igbo Coup for 4 major reasons.

1. Majority of the Coupists were Igbos.

2. No single Igbo leader was killed in that coup. In fact, they hinted Azikiwe and allowed him run out of the country. This same Azikiwe that stole funds meant for the Eastern Region and used it to establish ACB bank.

3. After the northern leaders were killed, Igbos in the North were taunting the Hausas that their leaders were killed and dragged Kuje pigs in Lagos.

4. After the Coupists were arrested and handed over to Ironsi, he refused to try them and moved them to the Eastern Region where they were locked up for 5 months without any form of punishment.

I had stated all these above. Why do you aggressively embrace the "facts" that incriminate the Igbos and reject with passion the ones that state otherwise? Btw, why were subsequent Coups like the one of July 29, 1966 not labelled "Northern" coup? Let's learn the lessons associated with this gory tales and move on. #peace
Re: 2018 Armed Forces Remembrance Day: The First Of The January 15s by uchman48(m): 8:41am On Jan 15, 2018
Cekpo34:

They had reasons to make those assumptions since there were no official briefings on the state of things. Rumours flow when official sources of information is blocked. The scenario is that even when the northern elders were abreast with the facts that say otherwise, they found the previous sophistries rather useful for the furthering of northern political interest. It was even rumoured that before the killing of the Sardauna, he had cursed the Igbo and had said that they won't rule Nigeria for the next 25 years - a position prominent Northerners still hold till today
i have learnt something from you today, lets just say it was a co-incidence that such a thing happened after the speech, but look at that hateful speech. What do you think about it
Re: 2018 Armed Forces Remembrance Day: The First Of The January 15s by Cekpo34(m): 8:41am On Jan 15, 2018
Okoyeebos:

One simple question: why did Ironsi refuse to try the Igbo Coup plotters and instead moved them to the Eastern Region where they were merely detained for a whole 5 months after the coup?

He was never a politician and had paranoia issues about appeasing or further hurting some divides in the polity. Mind you, Northern participants in the coup, as stated above were not arrested....see the appeasement? I know he made a fundamental mistake by not trying them but we all know that what led to the counter coup was less of the trying, but the Unification Decree which attempted to centralize the system
Re: 2018 Armed Forces Remembrance Day: The First Of The January 15s by luvinhubby(m): 8:47am On Jan 15, 2018
Truth be told, Nigeria missed the opportunity of a golden turning point in our national history with the failure of that Nzeogwu led coup. That coup had the capacity of giving Nigeria the kind of positive thrust that the Jerry Rawlings coup did for Ghana. Would have ended the era of a political class and military oligarch that is holding this nation in a vampire choke and continuosly draining life out of it.

Irrespective of their ethnic background, those majors saw the problem with Nigeria afar off and knew that the only solution was a total clean out, Obafemi Awolowo, who was rumoured as the next head of state, had a foresight that would have placed Nigeria among the league of developing nations and not one lousy Colone Gowon who was the benefeciary of the counter coup that left Nigeria as a shithole today.

1 Like

Re: 2018 Armed Forces Remembrance Day: The First Of The January 15s by bakynes(m): 8:48am On Jan 15, 2018
Cekpo34:

I had stated all these above. Why do you aggressively embrace the "facts" that incriminate the Igbos and reject with passion the ones that state otherwise? Btw, why were subsequent Coups like the one of July 29, 1966 not labelled "Northern" coup? Let's learn the lessons associated with this gory tales and move on. #peace

You need to realize that it cannot be termed a Northern coup because a Northerner ousted another Northerner. That is not the case of the Igbo coup.

The Igbos need to realize that what they are suffering today in Nigeria is a result of what their military leaders did in that coup.

2 Likes

Re: 2018 Armed Forces Remembrance Day: The First Of The January 15s by Cekpo34(m): 8:48am On Jan 15, 2018
uchman48:
i have learnt something from you today, lets just say it was a co-incidence that such a thing happened after the speech, but look at that hateful speech. What do you think about it

These are all terrible démarche which one keeps wondering why and for what purpose they were actually intended. One thing is certain: so much damage was done but believe me, we've all hurt each other in the drama of 1966-1970. We really have to move on and chart a sincere Reconciliation so our children will be proud to call this country theirs. #peace

1 Like

Re: 2018 Armed Forces Remembrance Day: The First Of The January 15s by Cekpo34(m): 8:52am On Jan 15, 2018
bakynes:

You need to realize that it cannot be termed a Northern coup because a Northerner ousted another Northerner. That is not the case of the Igbo coup.

The Igbos need to realize that what they are suffering today in Nigeria is a result of what their military leaders did in that coup.

When Murtala Muhammad and T. Y. Danjuma ousted and brutally murdered Aguyi Ironsi in 29 July, 1966, was it labelled a "northern" coup? We've all made mistakes...Let's spread the correct history and encourage our children to reconcile genuinely with their "prodigal" brothers. #peace
Re: 2018 Armed Forces Remembrance Day: The First Of The January 15s by Cekpo34(m): 9:01am On Jan 15, 2018
BruncleZuma:
grin grin grin grin

The genocide that followed the counter-coup was as a result of a rumour peddling British journalist passing insinuations as news and hijacked by the northern elites.

Since most bigots on this thread have reading problems I would have recommended them to read "Why We Struck" By Maj. Adewale Ademoyega

A treatise that must be read by all Nigerians, young and old!
Re: 2018 Armed Forces Remembrance Day: The First Of The January 15s by bakynes(m): 9:04am On Jan 15, 2018
Cekpo34:

When Murtala Muhammad and T. Y. Danjuma ousted and brutally murdered Aguyi Ironsi in 29 July, 1966, was it labelled a "northern" coup? We've all made mistakes...Let's spread the correct history and encourage our children to reconcile genuinely with their "prodigal" brothers. #peace
That was a retaliatory coup by Northern officers because they were the most affected by the January 15 coup so there was no need to term it a Northern coup but in actual fact it was a Northern coup.

1 Like

Re: 2018 Armed Forces Remembrance Day: The First Of The January 15s by Cekpo34(m): 9:10am On Jan 15, 2018
omijorisheriff:
I love history

I do too. I've just started an Initiative to promote the study of History. Search for History4NationBuilding on Facebook. #peace
Re: 2018 Armed Forces Remembrance Day: The First Of The January 15s by Cekpo34(m): 9:13am On Jan 15, 2018
bakynes:

That was a retaliatory coup by Northern officers because they were the most affected by the January 15 coup so there was no need to term it a Northern coup but in actual fact it was a Northern coup.

Thank you! Perhaps the scores was settled. Let's not be virulence against each other again...the worst had happened but it isn't that bad that we can't move on. Tell your children about this past in such a way that their minds would be open for genuine reconciliation. #peace
Re: 2018 Armed Forces Remembrance Day: The First Of The January 15s by Cekpo34(m): 9:15am On Jan 15, 2018
Okoyeebos:
A day of hard facts and inconvenient truths.

That's deep Bro! As long as the facts are left sacrosanct, let the interpretations come... cheesy
Re: 2018 Armed Forces Remembrance Day: The First Of The January 15s by Cekpo34(m): 9:22am On Jan 15, 2018
gidjah:
Usimg this medium and opportunity to remember The fallen hero,my younger brother my friend my blood : D1 and my elder brother (colonel AB Salisu ) .who were both KIA at NE in d quest to defend this nation from d evil claws of hausa aboki boko haram under the admi istration of fisher man professor Jonathan goodluck.may the heavens visit you all with rage and justice,may sorrow and pains be your paths ,as i shed tears today your generations shall shed more yearly.LIVE ON MY BLOOE BROTHERS,I LOVE U ALL

I sympathize with you Bro! Your relative made his choice to join in the Defence of the nation - he became national asset henceforth. He died as a hero! Sadly, you are apportioning your virulence to the wrong source. Did Jonathan cause Boko Haram? Was he right or wrong to deploy troops? Was your relative serving Jonathan or Nigeria? See how we keep sticking to our ethnic groups than the national? With your mindset, Nigeria is in trouble.
Re: 2018 Armed Forces Remembrance Day: The First Of The January 15s by Gracespecial101(m): 9:58am On Jan 15, 2018
God bless you for your sacrifice

And to the departed
REST IN PEACE
salutes
Re: 2018 Armed Forces Remembrance Day: The First Of The January 15s by boborneyor(m): 9:59am On Jan 15, 2018
But they shouldn't have blocked everywhere in Abuja because of this.......I have been inside traffic gridlock for the past 1:30minutes now #smh
Re: 2018 Armed Forces Remembrance Day: The First Of The January 15s by uchman48(m): 10:01am On Jan 15, 2018
Cekpo34:

These are all terrible démarche which one keeps wondering why and for what purpose they were actually intended. One thing is certain: so much damage was done but believe me, we've all hurt each other in the drama of 1966-1970. We really have to move on and chart a sincere Reconciliation so our children will be proud to call this country theirs. #peace
Exactly what i was waiting to hear. We need a natoinal reconcilation to purge out this tribalistic hatred for one another, unless such is done. We will still be stagnant in development. You a great teacher, 07082106364 i would like to learn more from you sir

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigeria Saved N200bln From Ghost Workers – Osinbajo Says / Nigeria’s Generated Electricity Drops Further To 2,919MW / FCT Residents Express Frustration, Allege Bribery At PVC Registration Centres

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.