Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,591 members, 7,812,922 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:35 PM

Sneaker (short Story) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Sneaker (short Story) (11675 Views)

Behind The Mask - A Short Story / Don't Laugh Me, Love Me ( A Short Story) / The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sneaker (short Story) by Trip4Jozzy(m): 3:27am On Jan 16, 2018
Laide was the best sneaker he ever had.
Aside from the fact that the first day he laid eyes on her she was wearing a pair of white Adidas sneakers and her laugh was a sort of snicker, she also happened to be munching on a sneaker chocolate bar, there was just something about her perfectly cultured face that made him like her.

Jamie was nicknamed sneaker because of the amount of ladies he sneaks into his room on a weekly basis. Why sneak? He was forced to sneak them in because of his father's strict policy, which prohibited his three sons from harbouring women in his house.
Jamie had to much tricks up his sleeves and so was the one who smuggled his babes and his brothers' babes into the house, not once has his father ever caught him unlike his brothers who couldn't even smuggle unripe mangoes into the house without their father's notice.

Laide was the perfect babe. She understood the sneaking game better than anyone, her curves allowed her to curve her body into a shape that could fit into the burglary bars of his windows, indeed she was the perfect sneaker.

Its been 7 years since he met his perfect sneaker, because of her he even stopped sneaking girls into his house, for she had not only snuck into his house but also into his heart, she was the only one to ever make it that far, for her, he turned a new leaf. His brothers were of course shattered when he gave up his sneaking business.

Barely twelve weeks to their wedding, and she's sneaking away from his life with his heart in a box.

As he watched her leave with tears cascading down her delicately molded face, he thought; 'only women will break your heart and still cry about it, such sneaky creatures', he concluded.

That faithful evening she called.
"Hey baby, how are you?" she inquired with a voice that sounded as though sixty thousand angels were singing under water.
"Awesome hon. Are you on your way?" he asked, recalling she had earlier told him she was coming to see him.
"Yeah, just finished dusting my face, will be there shortly"
"I always wonder why you bother applying makeup, knowing fully well that there's no flaw in facial design"
"ohhh!! Baby, let's not argue over this makeup ishh now and thanks for the complement by the way"
"See you in a bit, love you badly" he said smiling.
"Love you sneaker"
"Bye" he said as he hung up.

He sat there smiling and reeling in the thought of how lucky he was to be marrying a chaste lady as his sneaker. Not once has he suffered infidelity at her hands, she's been to in love to cheat. She tells him of all the toasters that approach her, and they often share jokes at the expense of these toasters.

Laide stood at Jamie's door for over half an hour without knocking. She heard him laughing, obviously enjoying the movie he was watching while he waited for her.
She cursed herself silently underneath her breath for having to do this unjust evil to him. He didn't deserve this and neither does he deserve her, for she was evil.
The tears ran down her cheeks again for the umpteenth time. She looked at the car keys in her hands, which Martins had given her and busted into a fresh frenzy of tears. This wave was stronger than she could handle, she stretched her hands to knock on the door when Jamie who had heard her sobs ran out to meet her with a million questions.

"What happened? Did someone touch you? what's wrong babe?"
Laide just sobbed the more as Jamie wrapped his large arms around her and took her inside the house.
Jamie didn't notice the box she dragged with her as she walked into the house cause he was totally focused on her face and wiping her tears.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sneaker (short Story) by Trip4Jozzy(m): 3:28am On Jan 16, 2018
After what seemed like a century, Laide calmed down. Jamie wasn't sure whether to ask her what happened yet, so as he doesn't send another wave of tears cruising down from the fountain of tears which seemed to lie behind her tender eyes.
He just held her in his arms for no longer than eternity had clocked before Laide spoke.

"I have wronged you beyond what words could describe"
Jamie was taken aback by her statement. He made to speak but she stopped him.
"Please don't interrupt, for I might not find the strength again if I stop."
Jamie swallowed his words and nodded in the affirmative.
"You have been my rock all these years. Even when I lost my parents, you helped me find my feet and guide me. If you hadn't taken responsibility for me, maybe I would have dropped out of school but because you stood in for me, I am a graduate today."
Jamie just watched her as she spoke with tears in her eyes.
She continued "I will be forever grateful to you for your faithfulness and love. You have turned a street girl into a woman, a woman envied by all her contemporaries, elevated above them all"
"You're scaring me Laide" Jamie managed to say.
Laide shook her head and proceeded with her emotional roller coaster of a speech.
"When I was twelve, my parents betrothed me to Martins Adelaja, the second son of chief Adelaja, merchant of the west"

Jamie felt as though a truck just dropped on his head. Instantly he had headache, the room became too cold, even the light seemed a bit dim, for a moment all he saw was darkness. He searched for words to speak but his mouth was bitter and words eluded him, as though scared he was going to chew them into bits and spit them on her face.

Laide scanned Jamie's face for a second then proceeded with her tale of terror.
"He's been in the states all this while but he's back now and can't wait to marry me"
Jamie swallowed hard, as he removed his arms from around her. His eyes went bloodshot as he stared into space, away from her face.
"I told him about you, and he gave me this box of money to give you as compensation for all you have done for me."
Jamie looked into her face as if to confirm if she seriously just said that to him. Still unable to make a coherent sentence so he said nothing. He was finding it hard to even make headway of what his thoughts were saying. His thoughts sounded like a dumb man trying to speak words for the first time.
"If you love me as you have always professed, please understand that this is not intentional and that I have to do this because of my parents. I can not afford to dishonour them, now that they're gone."
"Get out of my house" Jamie said. His heart bleeding from a thousand holes. Holes created by her words.

Laide tried to beg Jamie but just kindly kept pointing at the door, she stood to leave and made to leave without her box of money. He pointed to the box and motioned for her to go with it. Laide wept as she dragged the box out of Jamie's house. At the stairs he stopped and managed to ask "Were you guys in touch all these years we've been together?"
Laide nodded affirmative.
Jamie just sat on the stairs and watched her leave with all his trust for he knew he was never going to trust another female in his life.
Sneaker was leaving him heartless for he gave her his heart long ago, the least she could have done was return his heart, instead she brought a box of money he didn't need.

©J.S.Otache
#thoughtnibbles

10 Likes

Re: Sneaker (short Story) by Edonojie007(m): 7:00am On Jan 17, 2018
W
Re: Sneaker (short Story) by collinometricx: 7:10am On Jan 17, 2018
The story king just arrived... Nice work bro trip4jozzy... Lemme help u kall story princess gucciqueen38
Re: Sneaker (short Story) by Teco2(m): 7:13am On Jan 17, 2018
wonderful!
Re: Sneaker (short Story) by Chibyike(m): 7:42am On Jan 17, 2018
hmmmmm...very touching, .....kwomtunu pls
Re: Sneaker (short Story) by ruggedmallaam(m): 8:13am On Jan 17, 2018
Many persons will not read this
Re: Sneaker (short Story) by Gmekx(m): 8:18am On Jan 17, 2018
cry
Re: Sneaker (short Story) by Rollins777(m): 8:29am On Jan 17, 2018
Wonderful piece
Re: Sneaker (short Story) by kuffy05(m): 8:36am On Jan 17, 2018
Excellent
Re: Sneaker (short Story) by KpagoGIN(m): 8:36am On Jan 17, 2018
Scary tale of love gone bad.
Re: Sneaker (short Story) by Topweez(m): 8:53am On Jan 17, 2018
Jeez! Ladies en sad
Re: Sneaker (short Story) by YINKS89(m): 9:00am On Jan 17, 2018
Wow... Kindly continue.
Re: Sneaker (short Story) by mattiecute(f): 9:29am On Jan 17, 2018
Lol... What a sneaking sneaker grin Really nyc piece.. Op pls kwantinu o
Topweez:
Jeez! Ladies en sad
What did they do?
Re: Sneaker (short Story) by Akunatakasi1(m): 9:36am On Jan 17, 2018
Conductor abeg drop me here. Nice story Op. Following.
Re: Sneaker (short Story) by Nobody: 10:09am On Jan 17, 2018
collinometricx:
The story king just arrived... Nice work bro trip4jozzy... Lemme help u kall story princess gucciqueen38
I'm here.. Thanks for the mention dear
Re: Sneaker (short Story) by Topweez(m): 10:32am On Jan 17, 2018
mattiecute:
Lol... What a sneaking sneaker grin
Really nyc piece.. Op pls kwantinu o

What did they do?
YINKS89:
Wow... Kindly continue.
mattiecute:
Lol... What a sneaking sneaker grin
Really nyc piece.. Op pls kwantinu o

What did they do?
Re: Sneaker (short Story) by Topweez(m): 10:33am On Jan 17, 2018
Ma'am una dey heartless
Re: Sneaker (short Story) by Nobody: 10:35am On Jan 17, 2018
Nice piece.. Continue please
Re: Sneaker (short Story) by Canme4u(m): 10:56am On Jan 17, 2018
Cool.
Re: Sneaker (short Story) by izaray(f): 11:22am On Jan 17, 2018
Wow..Nice story
Re: Sneaker (short Story) by Nobody: 12:13pm On Jan 17, 2018
see cum update dis story oo, and trip4jozzy abeg mention me
Re: Sneaker (short Story) by collinxraver(m): 6:45pm On Jan 17, 2018
Uwl...GOT banned on mha other account
Gucciqueen38 :
I'm here.. Thanks for the mention dear
Re: Sneaker (short Story) by mattiecute(f): 9:38pm On Jan 17, 2018
Topweez:
Ma'am una dey heartless
True but u guys are more heartless
Re: Sneaker (short Story) by Emeralddan(f): 9:44am On Jan 18, 2018
awwwwn so sad
Re: Sneaker (short Story) by hephzibah29(m): 1:51pm On Jan 18, 2018
this is pure definition of hrt break...can't wait for d next episode...
Re: Sneaker (short Story) by Trip4Jozzy(m): 5:24pm On Jan 20, 2018
Wow!! The response is encouraging, almost in tears for all the love. I guess I have to continue the story, update coming soon.... Hopefully tomorrow evening or this evening self, who knows...
Re: Sneaker (short Story) by Trip4Jozzy(m): 6:56pm On Jan 21, 2018
When she left, he walked into his apartment and shut the door behind him. He leaned on the door after closing it and tried in futility to keep the lock on the gate of the tear cave lying behind his eyes but was failing frantically. He wept and wept, the pain was just too much to bare, the words of his father kept ringing in his head "A true African man doesn't have tears in his eyes", I guess I am not a true African man then, he thought to himself as the tears kept dropping nonstop.

'Who did I offend? Maybe my days of sneaking were catching up with me, I guess this is what they call karma' Jamie iterated to himself, as he dropped the 128th fold of tissue paper on the huge pile beside him.
The literal pain that stood in the middle of his diaphragm made it hard for him to breath, even as he imagined the fifty million questions he would have to answer his family and friends when he tells them the wedding is off.

He thought of calling Wati but restrained himself from making such a costly mistake. He knew Wati was just going to drag him to a bar or a club to boogie down, and 'boogie downing' was the last thing on his shattered heart. He tried not to think of the shame he would have to deal with when the news gets out that the almighty sneaker has had his heart broken at last.

He thought of how time has passed him by and that he was no longer a child, he was 29. Is he to start all over again? After believing he was at the finish line.

If he didn't know the value of life he would be contemplating suicide but life was far too valuable to be thrown away just like that, so he's not considering it.

He got up from the floor and headed towards his reading table, opened a yellow book on the table, sat down and starting scribbling, he ended up with an untitled poem.

*'As one beaten by the rain, I walked away soaked in my tears
As though born in the sea, I tasted the salt that strolled down to my lips
Shivering in the sun, the heat failed to melt away the emotions within
I walked on coals and felt cold, though I walked with a volcano within
Eruptions of thoughts exploding in my mind, I could taste the ash on my tongue

Bitter-bitter was the sweetness you offered
A cloud of lies blinded my sight from the truth
The fragrance you wore, hid the stench of your smell
Behind your smile, laid the fangs of death
A bite of your love shatters my life
As the poison flowed through my veins
I lay in pain and shut down my brain.'*

As he thought about what title to give it, he leaned back on the chair and dozed off to 'Neverland' a place of serenity and joy, a place void of age and pain.
Re: Sneaker (short Story) by Trip4Jozzy(m): 6:59pm On Jan 21, 2018
"Jamie please forgive me, I know it was an expensive joke, I just wanted to know what you would do if I hurt you, had to push you to the extreme, I am deeply sorry" Laide reiterated to Jamie's hearing again.

Jamie was beyond glad but his ego won't let him just jump up and hug the living daylights out of her. He sat on the sofa as Laide stroked his chin he felt as though he was in heaven, maybe on St. Jude's avenue sipping coolade in front of St. Magdalene's wine and juice bar.
She pleaded by planting a kiss on his shiny forehead and begged some more, all his being was aching to hold her in his embrace but he resisted sternly.

The pain in his chest had vanished without a trace. He was at peace, such peace that he had no words to effectively capture the scope of it. Even his thoughts danced delicately on the waves of his brain, he was whole again. But how dare she? How could she toy with him so? isn't she supposed to know how much he loves her and the wreckage such a prank would do to him?

"So there's no Martins?" he inquired.
"There is..." Laide replied.
Jamie's heart took a leap.
"But he's my cousin" she added almost in laughter.
He took a pillow and aimed it at her head.
"Mad woman" he said unable to hide his affections for the lady of his dreams.

His attempt to hide his smile made his cheek full as though harbouring the oily Puff Puff sold down the street.
"Just smile joh, you know you want to" She urged him.
He just laughed and sent another throw pillow in her direction as she dodged and ran towards the kitchen, he chased after her with the couple laughing melodiously.

When he caught up with her he stated that he needed to be appeased for this huge prank and she agreed.
"Let me make banga soup for you. It will help quench the explosive banger that has gone off in your heart"
Jamie laughed and muttered something about a revenge.

There was a wrap on the door.
"You expecting anybody?" Laide enquired of Jamie.
"Not that I know of" he responded.
He went towards the door and the knock grew louder, which made him upset because he had said he was coming to whoever was behind the door. He yanked the door open but there was nobody there. But the knock would not subside, his anger intensified. What is happening? he heard the knock again.

Slowly his eyes began to open, first thing his eyes caught wind of was the poem he wrote before he drifted off to foreverland. It dawn on him that he had been dreaming.

©J.S.Otache
Re: Sneaker (short Story) by YINKS89(m): 7:01pm On Jan 21, 2018
Trip4jozzy iono you till I started reading ur piece ND I assure u u re doin well... Kip it up bro
Re: Sneaker (short Story) by Trip4Jozzy(m): 7:11pm On Jan 21, 2018
hephzibah29
emeralddan
mattiecute
collinxraver
jamil2000
izaray
gucciqueen38
canme4u
topweez
akunatakasi1
yinks89
collinometricx
chibyike
Make una come ooooo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Saved By Sin / Write A Description: Describe Her Beauty. / The Usher By Rapmike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.