Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,537 members, 7,819,921 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:48 AM

Access Bank Approves Paternity Leave For Male Employees - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Access Bank Approves Paternity Leave For Male Employees (26166 Views)

I Want To Leave For Lagos Soon I Need Advice / Paternity Scandal: FCMB's MD, Adam Nuru Goes On Leave As Probe Begins / Alleged Paternity Scandal: FCMB To Probe MD As People Demand His Sack (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Access Bank Approves Paternity Leave For Male Employees by Idrismusty97(m): 10:14pm On Jan 17, 2018
Now this is Gender Equality.
Re: Access Bank Approves Paternity Leave For Male Employees by babyfaceafrica: 10:15pm On Jan 17, 2018
One week is small.. But encouraging.. Slow qne steady we will get there
Re: Access Bank Approves Paternity Leave For Male Employees by Mintayo(m): 10:15pm On Jan 17, 2018
Re: Access Bank Approves Paternity Leave For Male Employees by sandland: 10:16pm On Jan 17, 2018
What will the man do with it. Pregnant his wife again.
Re: Access Bank Approves Paternity Leave For Male Employees by PinocchioDMZ: 10:16pm On Jan 17, 2018
Other Banks should emulate this.
Re: Access Bank Approves Paternity Leave For Male Employees by ramzylipi(m): 10:18pm On Jan 17, 2018
Something that has been happening in other firms since they turn it to one big undecided
Re: Access Bank Approves Paternity Leave For Male Employees by stanliwise(m): 10:18pm On Jan 17, 2018
amunkita:
Musa = he is entitled to 4 paternity leave a year...
Emeka= only entitled to 1 paternity leave a year or possibly 2yrs...

Therefore, the policy is Buharistocracy...
Professor of Kanfacha. I greet oh grin grin
Re: Access Bank Approves Paternity Leave For Male Employees by amunkita(m): 10:19pm On Jan 17, 2018
kokomaster3d:

you are a bigot

Is it ur Bigot
Re: Access Bank Approves Paternity Leave For Male Employees by omojeesu(m): 10:23pm On Jan 17, 2018
Good. Gender equality!!
Re: Access Bank Approves Paternity Leave For Male Employees by dingbang(m): 10:25pm On Jan 17, 2018
Nice one from access bank
Re: Access Bank Approves Paternity Leave For Male Employees by lekzman: 10:31pm On Jan 17, 2018
Good 1, othes should follow
Re: Access Bank Approves Paternity Leave For Male Employees by dotun4real: 10:42pm On Jan 17, 2018
Sterling Bank plz also has the same package for guys
Re: Access Bank Approves Paternity Leave For Male Employees by Nobody: 10:54pm On Jan 17, 2018
asdfjklhaha:
Ok I will work in access bank so I can get leave.

Interviewer: why do you want to work with us?

Me: I saw on nairaland that if I get pregnant I will get six months off plus pay.

Interviewer: is that all

Me: yes sir

Interviewer: you are employed

Me: sir I'm already pregnant so I'll resume in 6months time, I'll go home and wait for my salary.

There's a lady in my office since I joined she has been on maternity leave 3 times in a row meaning 3 pregnancies. Sometimes am always wondering if that's fair on the company.
Re: Access Bank Approves Paternity Leave For Male Employees by asdfjklhaha(f): 11:01pm On Jan 17, 2018
pcguru1:

There's a lady in my office since I joined she has been on maternity leave 3 times in a row meaning 3 pregnancies. Sometimes am always wondering if that's fair on the company.
Its fair o, women should be respected cos its not easy to be pregnant. They should even extend it to one year with full salary entitlements
Re: Access Bank Approves Paternity Leave For Male Employees by Nobody: 11:05pm On Jan 17, 2018
asdfjklhaha:

Its fair o, women should be respected cos its not easy to be pregnant. They should even extend it to one year with full salary entitlements

Not really just as the woman has a choice to be pregnant remember the company is not an emotional entity if anything the consistent pregnancy is a loss to the company because while she's paid (making an assumption) someone else is filling her work , and trust me the moment it's a year this will lead company either not hiring married woman or they hiring more male staffs, because it will be bad for business if majority of your staffs are married women and are absent on maternity leave for a year and still being paid. No company can run like that
Re: Access Bank Approves Paternity Leave For Male Employees by Gerrard59(m): 11:09pm On Jan 17, 2018
pcguru1:

Not really just as the woman has a choice to be pregnant remember the company is not an emotional entity if anything the consistent pregnancy is a loss to the company because while she's paid (making an assumption) someone else is filling her work , and trust me the moment it's a year this will lead company either not hiring married woman or they hiring more male staffs, because it will be bad for business if majority of your staffs are married women and are absent on maternity leave for a year and still being paid. No company can run like that

And this is the reason why there is an earnings' gap in most industries and not gender gap. I see no reason why a firm will keep employing more women if cases like yours abound.
Re: Access Bank Approves Paternity Leave For Male Employees by Nobody: 11:12pm On Jan 17, 2018
Gerrard59:

And this is the reason why there is an earnings' gap in most industries and not gender gap. I see no reason why a firm will keep employing more women if cases like yours abound.

True actually, there isn't a gender pay gap not that it can be proven but what you'd find is most women putting family above work taking less stressful jobs but however there are women who have kids and put in work. I think Nigerian married women are dedicated to work more than foreign counterparts, maybe because the economy requires two income than over there where one party can still cover.
Re: Access Bank Approves Paternity Leave For Male Employees by asdfjklhaha(f): 11:22pm On Jan 17, 2018
pcguru1:

You're right sha
Re: Access Bank Approves Paternity Leave For Male Employees by biblegirl: 11:25pm On Jan 17, 2018
atleast Nigerians re inventing...hahahahah i laugh in Daura language .wat a bank
Re: Access Bank Approves Paternity Leave For Male Employees by Gerrard59(m): 11:34pm On Jan 17, 2018
pcguru1:

True actually, there isn't a gender pay gap not that it can be proven but what you'd find is most women putting family above work taking less stressful jobs but however there are women who have kids and put in work. I think Nigerian married women are dedicated to work more than foreign counterparts, maybe because the economy requires two income than over there where one party can still cover.

It has been proven that there is no gender pay gap, rather what constitutes the gap is (poor) negotiation skills on the side of the woman, motherhood gap (your example), women's choices, and earnings' gap.

On the bolded: I believe it is not necessarily true. Nigeria has more men who take full responsibility of taking care of the family; cultural reasons is the cause. This is unlike over there where two partners earning is the norm and not exception. So I don't think Nigerian women "are more dedicated" because of the economy.

On the gap, I made a case against the purported gender pay gap few weeks ago:

Gerrard59:

Maybe in less developed societies like India and Nigeria, but in developed nations, it's a crime to pay a an individual less than the market's rate due to gender.

- Ladies generally earn more than men during the early stages of employment. But as they progress, get pregnant and become mothers, the males have progressed at a rapid pace. When these women come back, they have a lot of catching up to do.

- If the gender pay existed, companies will employ only or majorly females as it will cut costs - since they earn less. However, businesses don't.

- There are less females opting for fields where individuals are paid more; IT, Business management, Advanced engineering etc. There are more males in a typical Computer Science/Physics class than females, these grads are needed in these fields (where they pay very well) and as a result earn more than females. Yet again, if businesses were to discriminate against women, they will employ them to cut costs. But then, do these kind of businesses see them? Yes, but very few. Resulting in more men earning than women in the same sector (remember more men than women). The field where women come close and are more than (according to a study) is the medical sector.

- How come we're not seeing similar agitation for equal pay in fields like truck driving, fire service, nursing, teaching, daycare, fork lifters etc? What is good for the goose is good for the gander.

- Men due to nature and evolutionary development are built for excessive competition, and this result in them striving to earn more and work longer hours (this also result in earning more by being promoted quickly above others; women work less hours than men). Women also will not want to date men they earn more than (probably by a wide margin) (this is nature, however, things might be changing; but slowly). The average bartender cannot date a lady working in a bank (they might even date, but she won't desire to marry him). As a result, we see more men entering fields where they pay more and don't mind working longer hours to achieve this compared to women. Remember, men don't procreate. So motherhood doesn't come into their way.

Trust me, should teaching as a field start paying practitioners more than oil workers, more men will flock to teaching and we'll begin to see agitations for equal pay for both genders in teaching (even though to Marxists, there are 88 genders grin). Good news is: Market forces determine industry pay not emotions. The problem is: We've the third wave/generation feminists asking for what is illogical and making arguments that don't hold water talk more air.

https://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2017/08/daily-chart
https://web.facebook.com/TheEconomist/videos/10156116222409060/
Re: Access Bank Approves Paternity Leave For Male Employees by makky555(f): 11:35pm On Jan 17, 2018
wane01:
This people want men to start forging fake birth certificates so as to stay off work abi

They'll also ask for you pregnant wife's pictures in the labour room...
Re: Access Bank Approves Paternity Leave For Male Employees by Nobody: 11:39pm On Jan 17, 2018
Gerrard59:

It has been proven that there is no gender pay gap, rather what constitutes the gap is (poor) negotiation skills on the side of the woman, motherhood gap (your example), women's choices, and earnings' gap.

On the bolded: I believe it is not necessarily true. Nigeria has more men who take full responsibility of taking care of the family; cultural reasons is the cause. This is unlike over there where two partners earning is the norm and not exception. So I don't think Nigerian women "are more dedicated" because of the economy.

On the gap, I made a case against the purported gender pay gap few weeks ago:

Yeah the bolded part is my opinion so yeah prob of being wrong was high also your post is 100% accurate and resonates with Milo Yiannopulous claim too on the gender pay gap.

Here is the video that follows your point I remember watching this year's ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_pQ7KXv0o0
Re: Access Bank Approves Paternity Leave For Male Employees by chineduemmao: 12:11am On Jan 18, 2018
Access bank if u cant make this thing equal forget it. Men gets 1 week paternity leave while women gets 3 months? this is bullshit and unacceptable.

1 Like

Re: Access Bank Approves Paternity Leave For Male Employees by maisauki: 12:17am On Jan 18, 2018
ONE WEEK pere?! well they tried cos something is better than nothing

1 Like

Re: Access Bank Approves Paternity Leave For Male Employees by Nobody: 12:18am On Jan 18, 2018
CaptainJeffry:
Good one. Men are given attention these days, thanks to the dolls. grin
U dey craise oh grin grin cheesy cheesy grin. I wan faint grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Access Bank Approves Paternity Leave For Male Employees by Nobody: 12:19am On Jan 18, 2018
Shayneward1:
What of a man with 5 wives
One week leave is enough
Re: Access Bank Approves Paternity Leave For Male Employees by Nobody: 1:13am On Jan 18, 2018
My appreciation goes to access bank for coming up with this initiative. However there are some issues am not clear on
1. Would men be allowed to have 5 weeks break( paternity leave inclusive) or the leave are separated? Remember most banks grant 4 weeks break which is 21 working days. Would your bank allow accumulation of leave ?
2. Men with 4 wives or more,how many weeks will be given or will just one week be enough? Would it be fair for a monogamous and polygamous family to enjoy the same duration of leave considering our culture and religion in this part of the world?
3. Wouldn't men capitalize on this to have fun with their side chicks( although not all men in this category)
4. Some persons talked about gender equality, is one week enough to bring that bond among families?
5. What of a situation were a staff's wife put to birth triplets, how many weeks would be given? Would it still be one week? Don't forget some state now give women 6 months maternity leave if they put to birth twins. Wouldn't it be unfair for women in such state enjoying 6 months while their husbands enjoy just one week.?
7. Has your bank consider the possibility of most key staff going on paternity leave who would replace them during the period they are gone?
8. Are there restrictions on paternity leave or is a annual thing?
Many may not agree with me but is there need for paternity leave in the first place were only week is allocated.

2 Likes

Re: Access Bank Approves Paternity Leave For Male Employees by austinegreat: 4:35am On Jan 18, 2018
For your sure success in WAEC NECO GCE JAMB and admission securement into a tertiary institution call KLASSIC TUTORS @ 08037589601. We always put smile on people's faces. By God's grace we have never failed
Re: Access Bank Approves Paternity Leave For Male Employees by Elgeelistic: 4:53am On Jan 18, 2018
Hian! Access Bank that I know?, that has no work life balance. You will work your life like a warrior including Saturday & Sunday, 7am to 8pm, you can never get your complete annual leave days at best 7 out of 22 working days with a lot of abeg and forming health breakdown.

This policy na wash for men, if you take it just consider it as your annual leave. Other than that, it is a good place to start your banking career.
Re: Access Bank Approves Paternity Leave For Male Employees by mykeltee: 6:13am On Jan 18, 2018
gtbank come here and learn how to treat workers like human......God bless you
Re: Access Bank Approves Paternity Leave For Male Employees by abike12(f): 6:31am On Jan 18, 2018
Awesome!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Bad Experience with Konga.com and Its Resolution / Nigerians Are Now Making Money & Cutting Transport Costs With Mycopilot App / Skye Bank Customers Don't Panic - 10 Things To Know About Skye Bank Takeover

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.