Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,622 members, 7,827,328 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:37 AM

Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica - Culture (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica (63031 Views)

A Brief Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica / Ooni Of Ife: The Igbo Race Is First In The World To Discover, Nurture Wealth / Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica by ewa26: 3:03pm On Aug 10, 2018
RedboneSmith:

When you say there was no 'Igbo egusi soup when you were growing up', are you saying Igbo people were not making and eating egwusi soup when you were growing up?
pls hon, is there a way the Yoruba and Igbo tribes of Nigeria cook Jellof rice Wetin sweet pass
Re: Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica by ariesbull: 3:12pm On Aug 10, 2018
aljharem:
So many false statement here. Alaia and moi moi are borrowed words from Yoruba. Until the amalgamation of Nigeria there was nothing like bean in igbo land. The demography does not favour such!!!!. So how did they get food made from beans. Haha!!!!!

We have many terms for beans specie...akidi is the beans ...the big one is agwa
...so Igbo were never eating beans right ?
Re: Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica by ariesbull: 3:19pm On Aug 10, 2018
scholes0:

Pls this is pure lies.

What is the Igbo word for Kpomo?
kanda
Re: Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica by Born2Breed(f): 3:21pm On Aug 10, 2018
baby124:

I have tasted Calabar soup and I have never enjoyed it my dear, it’s my least favorite soup. There are many Yoruba soups that you will never eat. Don’t go by Lagos Standards, Lagos is a fast city and people will eat what is fast. Doesn’t mean that there are no variety to Yoruba soups. By the way most tribes don’t have more than 4 or 5 soups so it’s funny when you guys come and say Yoruba don’t have soup. I won’t go down this road with you. I know you are Igbo, but you want to twist it around and call it IBO to make you sound not Igbo. I don’t have time for this. The efo riro you eat in Lagos is not even the correct one. Efo riro is made of about 4 different types of vegetables. So you see, what you eat in Lagos is commercial and meant for busy and hungry people, it has no bearing on the true nature of Yoruba foods.

Firstly, I am proudly an Edo woman and will never trade my ethnicity for any other tribe. I'm not surprised though,coz most of u guys think any state after Ore is IBO.

Your dislike for akwa Ibom soup or other tribe soups makes it only you in a million. I'm a foodie, I have visited almost all States and tasted their delicacies, I enjoy ewedu and gbegiri with only amala but efo riro with any swallow. Take or leave it,when it comes to soup Yoruba is not among the first 5 in Nigeria.

This has nothing to do with tribe, if not I would claim Edo soup is the best.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica by Born2Breed(f): 3:22pm On Aug 10, 2018
ewa26:
pls hon, is there a way the Yoruba and Igbo tribes of Nigeria cook Jellof rice Wetin sweet pass

Yoruba win am for jollof rice. From the parties you can tell. In terms of taste and size of meat,Yoruba jollof rice any day.
Re: Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica by baby124: 3:24pm On Aug 10, 2018
Born2Breed:

Firstly, I am proudly an Edo woman and will never trade my ethnicity for any other tribe. I'm not surprised though,coz most of u guys think any state after Ore is IBO.

Your dislike for akwa Ibom soup or other tribe soups makes it only you in a million. I'm a foodie, I have visited almost all States and tasted their delicacies, I enjoy ewedu and gbegiri with only amala but efo riro with any swallow. Take or leave it,when it comes to soup Yoruba is not among the first 5 in Nigeria.

This has nothing to do with tribe, if not I would claim Edo soup is the best.
Your opinion my dear. Doesn’t make it fact. I am also a foodie and well travelled. I prefer my Yoruba soups. They are the most nutritious and tasty to me. Akwa Ibom soups are over hyped.

1 Like

Re: Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica by ewa26: 3:31pm On Aug 10, 2018
Born2Breed:

Yoruba win am for jollof rice. From the parties you can tell. In terms of taste and size of meat,Yoruba jollof rice any day.
pls hon what’s the exact difference between Yoruba and Igbo jollof rice like in taste? is Ibo rice really as bad as olumide said?
Re: Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica by Born2Breed(f): 3:31pm On Aug 10, 2018
baby124:

Your opinion my dear. Doesn’t make it fact. I am also a foodie and well travelled. I prefer my Yoruba soups. They are the most nutritious and tasty to me. Akwa Ibom soups are over hyped.

Well,if you say so.
Re: Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica by Born2Breed(f): 3:33pm On Aug 10, 2018
ewa26:
pls hon what’s the exact difference between Yoruba and Igbo jollof rice like in taste? is Ibo rice really as bad as olumide said?

Na my mouth u wan hear say king mense?
Re: Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica by ewa26: 3:37pm On Aug 10, 2018
Born2Breed:

Na my mouth u wan hear say king mense?
im just curious to know that’s all
Re: Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica by Probz(m): 10:41am On Oct 19, 2018
scholes0:

Borro borro ko.... Yoruboids bound Igbos directly or indirectly on two sides, while Yorubas don't share border with any known igboid peoples.

Who is borrowing what?

Do you even know that conc Nsukka Igbo might contain up to 15% Yoruba-ish words?

This actually sounds like something to spin out a little further. You got an idea of what Yoruboid words are infused into Nsukka Igbo?

2 Likes

Re: Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica by Probz(m): 3:34pm On Oct 19, 2018
baby124:

Hahahahaha. You must be laughing at yourself.

No. You need to drop the superiority attitude and learn that Igbo and Yoruba share words and foods in common because they share the same root. Mai-mai and egwusi might’ve been rendered as moin-moin and egusi to the rest of Nigeria but these things are deeper rooted in Igboland than they are in the SW.

I stopped taking you seriously the moment you in started making openly erroneous comments as in claiming ogbono’s not an Igbo name or that there was nothing like Igbo egusi when you were growing up but you’ll learn.

I’ll say it again. Is there a Yoruba equivalent for ogbaloti/akpuruakpu egusi with achara and ukazi greens? Is that the Yoruba style of melon soup that Igbos copied some time in the 90s?

3 Likes

Re: Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica by bigfrancis21: 4:52pm On Oct 19, 2018
Probz:

This actually sounds like something to spin out a little further. You got an idea of what Yoruboid words are infused into Nsukka Igbo?

Lol one who neither speaks nor understands Igbo is one to take seriously? I'm sure he'd probably support his claim with the 'Igala words here and there found in Nsukka dialect'.

2 Likes

Re: Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica by Probz(m): 10:29am On Oct 24, 2018
ariesbull:

We have many terms for beans specie...akidi is the beans ...the big one is agwa
...so Igbo were never eating beans right ?

A lot of Yoruba people conveniently forget there’s states in Igboland other than Imo. Beans/legumes aren’t as characteristic as they are upland. They’re more into ugba.

1 Like

Re: Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica by Probz(m): 10:45am On Oct 24, 2018

1 Like

Re: Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica by Probz(m): 10:47am On Oct 24, 2018
I’ll leave these out here for any more Yoruba people who want to be ignorant about traditional food systems they know absolutely nothing about.

cc. baby124, aljharem.

Egusi, okazi, achara. Abacha na akidi. Fio-fio. Achi ede. These foods being listed on a traditional food listing done in the most rural parts of Igboland means nothing to either of you. All these foods were copied by awon Ogbomosho circa. 2005. That right?

Re: Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica by baby124: 11:16am On Oct 24, 2018
Probz:
I’ll leave these out here for any more Yoruba people who want to be ignorant about traditional food systems they know absolutely nothing about.

cc. baby124, aljharem.

Egusi, okazi, achara. Abacha na akidi. Fio-fio. Achi ede. These foods being listed on a traditional food listing done in the most rural parts of Igboland means nothing to either of you. All these foods were copied by awon Ogbomosho circa. 2005. That right?
Akara and Asaro are there as well. So what’s your point? This is a breakdown of food eaten in igboland doesn’t mean it’s all Igbo food. Or you don’t know yam pottage is Asaro. Even moi moi is there but it’s called cow pea pudding.
Re: Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica by Probz(m): 11:19am On Oct 24, 2018
baby124:

Akara and Asaro are there as well. So what’s your point? This is a breakdown of food eaten in igboland doesn’t mean it’s all Igbo food. Or you don’t know yam pottage is Asaro. Even moi moi is there but it’s called cow pea pudding.

I think the key point lies in the fact that the book was called traditional Igbo food system. Key in the word traditional.

Igbo yam pottage and Yoruba asaro aren’t the same. I hope you know. Moi moi was only rendered as “cow pea pudding” in English.

Your ignorance is starting to grate. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone on here so wilfully naive of a particular element of someone else’s culture. You’re either taking the piss or genuinely slow. Either way you need to do better.

Get over your superiority attitude and accept that both tribes share certain words and foods in common because we share the same root.

1 Like

Re: Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica by Probz(m): 11:23am On Oct 24, 2018
I still await your answer on whether you think ofe achara with okazi and ogbaloti egusi is the Yoruba style that Igbos copied when you were growing up. You’ve conveniently skated over that.

1 Like

Re: Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica by baby124: 11:25am On Oct 24, 2018
Probz:

I think the key point lies in the fact that the book was called traditional Igbo food system. Key in the word traditional.

Igbo yam pottage and Yoruba asaro aren’t the same. I hope you know. Moi moi was only rendered as “cow pea pudding” in English.

Your ignorance is starting to grate.
The original name for moi moi is moyin moyin. It’s a Yoruba food. So is Akara and Egusi. The fact that Igbos eat it doesn’t mean it’s their food. When did Igbos start calling Akpu, fufu? Fufu is a Ghanaian term for odorless swallow while Akpu is the variation Igbos eat which has a smell. This breakdown was written in the not too distant past when these foods had travelled. I will show you traditional Yoruba soups and you will see Egusi there. Same way we can’t claim things like Ugwu because they have made their way out of Igboland into the mainstream Nigerian food culture.

Yam pottage is a Yoruba dish traditionally my dear. Everyone has a modification of it now. It’s called Asaro. Even I have my own modification of it too.

One thing Yoruba are good at is naming things. It’s easy to trace back the origin of the name. It’s usually a one word name. The use of yam pottage and cow pea pudding is to avoid writing Asaro and moimoi. Lol. Those are the traditional names of those foods, so is Egusi. You can see melon soup is the common name in igboland just like I said. We never ever call Egusi, melon soup.
Re: Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica by Probz(m): 11:29am On Oct 24, 2018
Probz:
I still await your answer on whether you think ofe achara with okazi and ogbaloti egusi is the Yoruba style that Igbos copied when you were growing up. You’ve conveniently skated over that.

That style of egusi’s the most traditional in Igboland. Especially in Anambra and Imo states. It was cooked well before amalgamation and so was moi-moi (mai-mai) in certain parts of Igboland.

Not to mention that you’ve made blatantly erroneous statements i.e. that Igbos learned yam porridge from the Yoruba asaro. Never mind the fact that yam’s the traditional staple crop of Igboland.

1 Like

Re: Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica by baby124: 11:34am On Oct 24, 2018
Probz:

That style of egusi’s the most traditional in Igboland. Especially in Anambra and Imo states. It was cooked well before amalgamation and so was moi-moi (mai-mai) in certain parts of Igboland.

Not to mention that you’ve made blatantly erroneous statements i.e. that Igbos learned yam porridge from the Yoruba asaro. Never mind the fact that yam’s the traditional staple crop of Igboland.
Yam is a staple of Igboland? So it is in Yorubaland. Yam or Isu has always been there too. In fact the Yams in Yorubaland are a central staple point. Yam has been processed by Yoruba’s to create Amala, Lafun and other morsels. They also eat pounded yam aka Iyan.
Re: Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica by Probz(m): 11:42am On Oct 24, 2018
baby124:

Yam is a staple of Igboland? So it is in Yorubaland. Yam or Isu has always been there too. In fact the Yams in Yorubaland are a central staple point. Yam has been processed by Yoruba’s to create Amala, Lafun and other morsels. They also eat pounded yam aka Iyan.

“So it is in yorubaland.”

That’s kind of the point though isn’t it. I’ll say it one more time, Igbo and Yoruba share foods in common because of a similar root. The only thing I have an issue with is your attitude of superiority which slips out in obvious ways. Even to the extent of making out-and-out erroneous statements and ascribing traditional Igbo foods popularly known by Igbo names to other regions (like we both know you did with ogbono soup).

I still await your answer on egusi but knowing you you’ll ignore that for the dozenth time.

This thread’s more circular than manic-depressive insanity. I can spin out this point further but you’re just being blissfully ignorant at this stage and that’s for show to anyone who’s not mega-tribalistic. I’m out.

1 Like

Re: Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica by Probz(m): 11:47am On Oct 24, 2018
baby124:

The original name for moi moi is moyin moyin. It’s a Yoruba food. So is Akara and Egusi. The fact that Igbos eat it doesn’t mean it’s their food. When did Igbos start calling Akpu, fufu? Fufu is a Ghanaian term for odorless swallow while Akpu is the variation Igbos eat which has a smell. This breakdown was written in the not too distant past when these foods had travelled. I will show you traditional Yoruba soups and you will see Egusi there. Same way we can’t claim things like Ugwu because they have made their way out of Igboland into the mainstream Nigerian food culture.

Yam pottage is a Yoruba dish traditionally my dear. Everyone has a modification of it now. It’s called Asaro. Even I have my own modification of it too.

One thing Yoruba are good at is naming things. It’s easy to trace back the origin of the name. It’s usually a one word name. The use of yam pottage and cow pea pudding is to avoid writing Asaro and moimoi. Lol. Those are the traditional names of those foods, so is Egusi. You can see melon soup is the common name in igboland just like I said. We never ever call Egusi, melon soup.

Common name = English name. The Igbo equivalents were all listed first. Like I say you’re obviously taking the piss at this stage so I’m done.

2 Likes

Re: Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica by baby124: 12:10pm On Oct 24, 2018
Probz:

Your ignorance is starting to grate. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone on here so wilfully naive of a particular element of someone else’s culture. You’re either taking the piss or genuinely slow. Either way you need to do better.

Get over your superiority attitude and accept that both tribes share certain words and foods in common because we share the same root.
No my dear, you are genuinely slow. I am stating facts here and you cannot counter it.
Re: Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica by baby124: 12:12pm On Oct 24, 2018
Probz:

“So it is in yorubaland.”

That’s kind of the point though isn’t it. I’ll say it one more time, Igbo and Yoruba share foods in common because of a similar root. The only thing I have an issue with is your attitude of superiority which slips out in obvious ways. Even to the extent of making out-and-out erroneous statements and ascribing traditional Igbo foods popularly known by Igbo names to other regions (like we both know you did with ogbono soup).

I still await your answer on egusi but knowing you you’ll ignore that for the dozenth time.

This thread’s more circular than manic-depressive insanity. I can spin out this point further but you’re just being blissfully ignorant at this stage and that’s for show to anyone who’s not mega-tribalistic. I’m out.
Now I am tribalistic and Igbos and Yoruba’s must be related. Lol, is that your conclusion to claim the soup? Then you are talking about manic- depressive. Who resurrected the thread to prove a point and run around in circles?
Re: Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica by baby124: 12:14pm On Oct 24, 2018
By the way, Ogbono is an Edo soup. Not Igbo. Yoruba’s call it Apon in their variation, and it’s extremely delicious.
Re: Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica by Probz(m): 12:30pm On Oct 24, 2018
baby124:

No my dear, you are genuinely slow. I am stating facts here and you cannot counter it.

I’ve countered all your points but you’re either genuinely ignorant or taking the piss.

Common name and Igbo name aren’t the same. Nor are scientific names.

You’ve said nothing re. egusi.

You need to do better.

1 Like

Re: Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica by Probz(m): 12:30pm On Oct 24, 2018
baby124:
By the way, Ogbono is an Edo soup. Not Igbo. Yoruba’s call it Apon in their variation, and it’s extremely delicious.

So why is ogbono an Igbo name?

3 Likes

Re: Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica by Probz(m): 12:31pm On Oct 24, 2018
baby124:

Now I am tribalistic and Igbos and Yoruba’s must be related. Lol, is that your conclusion to claim the soup? Then you are talking about manic- depressive. Who resurrected the thread to prove a point and run around in circles?

Tongue-in-cheek. Analogy.

2 Likes

Re: Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica by baby124: 12:36pm On Oct 24, 2018
Probz:

So why is ogbono an Igbo name?
It’s not an Igbo name but an Edo name. Same way Egusi is a Yoruba name but Igbos now claim both.
Re: Red Ibo In Jamaica: A Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica by baby124: 12:36pm On Oct 24, 2018
Probz:

I’ve countered all your points but you’re either genuinely ignorant or taking the piss.

Common name and Igbo name aren’t the same. Nor are scientific names.

You’ve said nothing re. egusi.

You need to do better.
I can’t counter the points of someone who deliberately intends to remain ignorant.

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

Ayiri Emami Kneels Before Olu Of Warri (Photos) / Pictures From Soon To Be Yoruba Village In London!!! / Five(5) Places Where Women Have More Than One Husband

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.