Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,795 members, 7,820,793 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:46 PM

Should Women Speak In Church - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should Women Speak In Church (2104 Views)

Should Women Become Pastors / Biblically, Should Women Preach Or Pastor Inside The Church? / Should Women Lead A Congregation Or A Church? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Women Speak In Church by karllemah44(m): 9:02pm On Jan 19, 2018
Good day nairalanders, I have an issue which I want you to help address.Earlier today daddy freeze made me to understand that women are forbidden to speak in churches (1 cor 14: 34-35).

As a novice that I am I went to a cousin who is also a pastor to explain why women now speak in churches but his argument was not convincing so I pressed further and he became slightly angry(he's way older) so I had to quit it.

Here I am, I want someone to kindly help me with a concrete explanation I'm really confused here... thanks and God bless
Re: Should Women Speak In Church by mmsen: 9:15pm On Jan 19, 2018
It's the word of 'god', if the Bible says that women should be quiet in church then they should.

Just as xtians should not wear hybrid fabrics or grow cocoa with their plantain.

1 Like

Re: Should Women Speak In Church by Seun(m): 9:16pm On Jan 19, 2018
1 Corinthians 14:34-35 (written by "Apostle" Paul)
“Women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the law says. If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church.”

1 Timothy 2:12-14 (also written by "Apostle" Paul)
“I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet. For Adam was formed first, then Eve. And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner. ”

My interpretation: "Apostle" Paul didn’t believe that women should be allowed to speak in church or to lead men. He was a fervent Jew before his conversion and Jews don’t allow women to speak in the synagogue either, so he just carried his misogynistic views into the new religion.

If you believe that the words of "Apostle" Paul are the words of God, then certainly, God doesn’t want women to speak or lead men in church.

But Paul never actually met Jesus. He was not one of the twelve apostles. He was not Simon Peter, the rock upon which Jesus promised to build his church according to the gospels. Yet his writings and ideas have come to dominate Christianity. His words are seen as God's words. Wow.

12 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Should Women Speak In Church by delishpot: 9:20pm On Jan 19, 2018
Organized Religion don tire me.

Bia OP, yes women were commanded by paul to keep shut. Not because God told him so but because he believes they have to be made to pay for the sins of Eve even tho that story is a myth. Unfortunately, the bible forbids a lot of things including.... shaving of the beards, mixing of fabrics, eating a lot of food, trying to please people rather than saying NO or YES, wearing gold or nice clothing, being rich, insisting that a debtor pay back esp if he is poor, with holding something back when a poor man asks you for it etc
Re: Should Women Speak In Church by Nasarawaboy(m): 9:32pm On Jan 19, 2018
In as much as I disagree with some of Daddy Freeze's teachings, I agree with him 100% on this one. Women were never created to be equal to men. As the Quran (am a practicing Christian please) stated it, women are subordinates to men. During the olden days, women were not even counted during census. Even the multitude of people Jesus fed, it wasn't 5000 people but 5000 men, not counting women and children cos women and children were always grouped together. There are so many bible verses about the status of women in the church, just that I can't remember them now but I've read them. The problem we are having in the church and society at large these days is this issue of gender equality. It's a trick the devil is using to cause so many problems both in the church and in our homes. That's why divorce cases are on the increase, women trying to rub shoulders with men. A woman is not suppose to stand in the front of church let alone talk. But these days, you see women becoming pastors and evangelists.
Re: Should Women Speak In Church by karllemah44(m): 10:26pm On Jan 19, 2018
delishpot:
Organized Religion don tire me.

Bia OP, yes women were commanded by paul to keep shut. Not because God told him so but because he believes they have to be made to pay for the sins of Eve even tho that story is a myth. Unfortunately, the bible forbids a lot of things including.... shaving of the beards, mixing of fabrics, eating a lot of food, trying to please people rather than saying NO or YES, wearing gold or nice clothing, being rich, insisting that a debtor pay back esp if he is poor, with holding something back when a poor man asks you for it etc
but they keep saying everything in the Bible is inspired by God
Re: Should Women Speak In Church by karllemah44(m): 10:32pm On Jan 19, 2018
Seun:
1 Corinthians 14:34-35 (written by ‘Apostle’ Paul)
“Women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the law says. If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church.”

1 Timothy 2:12-14 (also written by ‘Apostle’ Paul)
“I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man; she must be quiet. For Adam was formed first, then Eve. And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner. ”

My interpretation: ‘Apostle’ Paul didn’t believe that women should be allowed to speak in church or to lead men. He was a fervent Jew before his conversion and Jews don’t allow women to speak in the synagogue either, so he just carried his misogynistic views into the new religion.

If you believe that the words of ‘Apostle’ Paul are the words of God, then certainly, God doesn’t want women to speak or lead men in church.

Paul never actually met Jesus. He was not one of the twelve disciples. He was not Simon Peter, the rock upon which Jesus promised to build his church according to the gospels. Yet his writings and ideas have come to dominate Christianity. His words are seen as God's words. Wow.
but sir wasn't his words inspired by God
Re: Should Women Speak In Church by delishpot: 11:01pm On Jan 19, 2018
karllemah44:
but they keep saying everything in the Bible is inspired by God

Well that is what they believe. Even today people do things and say God inspired them. So yeah, it is believed to be inspired by God NOT written by God
Re: Should Women Speak In Church by delishpot: 11:05pm On Jan 19, 2018
Nasarawaboy:
In as much as I disagree with some of Daddy Freeze's teachings, I agree with him 100% on this one. Women were never created to be equal to men. As the Quran (am a practicing Christian please) stated it, women are subordinates to men. During the olden days, women were not even counted during census. Even the multitude of people Jesus fed, it wasn't 5000 people but 5000 men, not counting women and children cos women and children were always grouped together. There are so many bible verses about the status of women in the church, just that I can't remember them now but I've read them. The problem we are having in the church and society at large these days is this issue of gender equality. It's a trick the devil is using to cause so many problems both in the church and in our homes. That's why divorce cases are on the increase, women trying to rub shoulders with men. A woman is not suppose to stand in the front of church let alone talk. But these days, you see women becoming pastors and evangelists.

And God told you himself that your daughter is of no value? I do not agree that God thinks my daughter of little value compared to my son. They are both EQUAL in value even though they have distinct roles to play in the society. I do not buy into your demonic teaching. I condemn you, the religion and anyone that teaches that even if it was your Peter or Paul.
Stop being Ignorant, Bible did not say God created Eve of lesser value. The problem. Started when Eve ate the fruit according to the myth. Adam never said God made Eve his servants or subordinate and God did not plan that either. God made Eve as companion a helping hand so that Adam is not alone. Not so that Adam can lord it or call the shots.

1 Like

Re: Should Women Speak In Church by chemystery: 11:49pm On Jan 19, 2018
karllemah44:
but sir wasn't his words inspired by God
First, how will you differentiate words inspired by god from that inspired by man's own desires?

1 Like

Re: Should Women Speak In Church by Nobody: 12:45am On Jan 20, 2018
Nasarawaboy:
[s]In as much as I disagree with some of Daddy Freeze's teachings, I agree with him 100% on this one. Women were never created to be equal to men. As the Quran (am a practicing Christian please) stated it, women are subordinates to men. During the olden days, women were not even counted during census. Even the multitude of people Jesus fed, it wasn't 5000 people but 5000 men, not counting women and children cos women and children were always grouped together. There are so many bible verses about the status of women in the church, just that I can't remember them now but I've read them. The problem we are having in the church and society at large these days is this issue of gender equality. It's a trick the devil is using to cause so many problems both in the church and in our homes. That's why divorce cases are on the increase, women trying to rub shoulders with men. A woman is not suppose to stand in the front of church let alone talk. But these days, you see women becoming pastors and evangelists.[/s]

of course you will disagree with freeze on teaching that makes sense but agree 100% with the misogynistic ones mtseew!
if you believe the Qur'an why then do you claim to be Christian?

leave eve and her daughters alone
https://thegirlslikeme.com/blogs/poetry/leave-eve-her-daughters-alone

1 Like

Re: Should Women Speak In Church by Tozara(m): 1:24am On Jan 20, 2018
Proudgorgeousga:

of course you will disagree with freeze on teaching that makes sense but agree 100% with the misogynistic ones mtseew!

That link is bullshit.

Christianity/Abrahamism and feminism are incompatible. No amount of twisting and re-interpreting can change that.

Women are inferior to men in the Abrahamic religions. Christian feminists can't get around this.

The entire point of that woman's arguments ended with this conclusion----Adam and Eve were equal BEFORE the fall when they still had their perfect nature, but became unequal AFTER it. Christ had come to give them the chance of eternal life, but did not restore the world to the perfection of Eden, so therefore the order AFTER the fall REMAINS. So, what has she proved? What has her argument changed? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. The coming of Christ never abolished patriarchy, even by her very own conclusion.

I'm a feminist, by the way, just pointing out to you that any legitimate Christian thinker would destroy her argument and shoot down her illogical case within minutes if they were to give it the time of the day.

Feminism is not just compatible with Christianity.

A Christian feminist is an OXYMORON.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should Women Speak In Church by Nobody: 1:30am On Jan 20, 2018
Tozara:
That link is bullshit.

Christianity/Abrahamism and feminism are incompatible. No amount of twisting and re-interpreting can change that.

Women are inferior to men in the Abrahamic religions. Christian feminists can't get around this.

The entire point of that woman's arguments ended with this conclusion----Adam and Eve were equal BEFORE the fall when they still had their perfect nature, but became unequal AFTER it. Christ had come to give them the chance of eternal life, but did not restore the world to the perfection of Eden, so therefore the order AFTER the fall REMAINS. So, what has she proved? What has her argument changed? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. The coming of Christ never abolished patriarchy, even by her very own conclusion.

I'm a feminist, by the way, just pointing out to you that any legitimate Christian thinker would destroy her argument and shoot down her illogical case within minutes if they were to give it the time of the day.

Feminism is not just compatible with Christianity.

A Christian feminist is an OXYMORON.

I agree. Im not a Christian either. but since bible fools like the idìot I quoted can pick and choose what they believe Christian feminist might as well do the same.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should Women Speak In Church by Tozara(m): 1:32am On Jan 20, 2018
delishpot:

Well that is what they believe. Even today people do things and say God inspired them. So yeah, it is believed to be inspired by God NOT written by God
ALL the books of the Bible are EQUALLY scripture. They were all inspired by God, not written by God----not only the writings of Paul.

If you Christians must fault any of those books, you have called the divinity of the ENTIRE BIBLE itself into question, and that destroys your religion 100%.

Christianity is a human invention, by the way. Out of many books potentially inspired by God, it was humans like you who DECIDED which books were "inspired" and which ones were not---then compiled them into what you call the Bible today.
Re: Should Women Speak In Church by Tozara(m): 1:36am On Jan 20, 2018
Proudgorgeousga:

I agree. Im not a Christian either. but since bible fools like the idìot I quoted can pick and choose what they believe Christian feminist might as well do the same.
Lol. You're absolutely right. Not only they have the right to cherry-pick from the Bible.

The same clowns that fornicate, even though it's against the word of God, will be the same fools to tell women not to consider themselves men's equals, because it's against the word of God. HOW FÜCKING CONVENIENT! grin

2 Likes

Re: Should Women Speak In Church by delishpot: 8:40am On Jan 20, 2018
Tozara:
ALL the books of the Bible are EQUALLY scripture. They were all inspired by God, not written by God----not only the writings of Paul.

If you Christians must fault any of those books, you have called the divinity of the ENTIRE BIBLE itself into question, and that destroys your religion 100%.

Christianity is a human invention, by the way. Out of many books potentially inspired by God, it was humans like you who DECIDED which books were "inspired" and which ones were not---then compiled them into what you call the Bible today.

Every organized Religion is man made.

2 Likes

Re: Should Women Speak In Church by Nasarawaboy(m): 9:00am On Jan 20, 2018
I understand your anger, believe me I really do. But like it or not that is the way it is. And for the records, am not married, am just a very young lad in my mid twenties looking for love. But christian girls frustrate the hell out of me with this gender equality bull crap. But it's your opinion and I respect it.
Re: Should Women Speak In Church by Nasarawaboy(m): 9:09am On Jan 20, 2018
Proudgorgeousga:

Me misogynist? Lol! Isn't that rather too harsh? My mother and sister are women! But let's call a spade a spade. Lest I forget, which of daddy freezes' teachings makes sense? Is it the teachings against tithes or which one? Daddy Freeze is a satanist. But for the first time he preached Christ with this his topic on the status of women in the church!
Re: Should Women Speak In Church by Nobody: 9:13am On Jan 20, 2018
Nasarawaboy:

Me misogynist? Lol! Isn't that rather too harsh? My mother and sister are women! But let's call a spade a spade. Lest I forget, which of daddy freezes' teachings makes sense? Is it the teachings against tithes or which one? Daddy Freeze is a satanist. But for the first time he preached Christ with this his topic on the status of women in the church!

yes you misogynist. misogynists just don't fall from heaven they have mothers and sisters too. you have to go as far as quoting d qu'ran as to justify why women should keep shut. besides Christ never said women should keep shut.

2 Likes

Re: Should Women Speak In Church by MuttleyLaff: 9:16am On Jan 20, 2018
Seun:
1 Corinthians 14:34-35 (written by ‘Apostle’ Paul)

1 Timothy 2:12-14 (also written by ‘Apostle’ Paul)

My interpretation: ‘Apostle’ Paul didn’t believe that women should be allowed to speak in church or to lead men. He was a fervent Jew before his conversion and Jews don’t allow women to speak in the synagogue either, so he just carried his misogynistic views into the new religion.

If you believe that the words of ‘Apostle’ Paul are the words of God, then certainly, God doesn’t want women to speak or lead men in church.
My brother, if you really know what church means, you would mistakenly be saying God doesn’t want women to speak or lead men in church

Does the matriarch of your family not speak at home or when out and about with your patriach?
Has the matriarch of your family never led the patriach at home or when out and about with him?
Does the matriarch not lead men in praise and worship songs during fellowship gathering?
Doubt the matriarch opts to mumbling in situation like that or similar

Seun:
Paul never actually met Jesus. He was not one of the twelve disciples.
He was not Simon Peter, the rock upon which Jesus promised to build his church according to the gospels.
Yet his writings and ideas have come to dominate Christianity.
His words are seen as God's words. Wow.
I tell you that you are Peter,
and it is on this rock that I will build my congregation {Gr. ekklesia – called out ones}, and the powers of hell will not conquer it.

- Matthew 16:18

My brother, Jesus did promise to build on Simon Peter, the rock, but to build on petra

The name Peter originally comes from the Greek word Petros, it means rock and is a masculine noun
Now Jesus in Matthew 16:18, DIDNT say He will build His ekklesia on petros but instead said He will build His ekklesia on petra
Petra is another Greek word for rock but it is a feminine noun

Jesus never built His ekklesia on Simon Peter, the Rock or Petros
but rather built His ekklesia on the rock (i.e. on petra and not on Petros),
Petra is the divine revelation and explicit statement blurted out by Peter about who Jesus Christ is

It is just a clever use of wordplay by Jesus that goes unnoticed by untrained eyes

1 Like

Re: Should Women Speak In Church by MuttleyLaff: 9:24am On Jan 20, 2018
karllemah44:
Good day nairalanders, I have an issue which I want you to help address.
Earlier today daddy freeze made me to understand that women are forbidden to speak in churches (1 cor 14: 34-35).

As a novice that I am I went to a cousin who is also a pastor to explain why women now speak in churches
but his argument was not convincing
so I pressed further and he became slightly angry (he's way older) so I had to quit it.

Here I am, I want someone to kindly help me with a concrete explanation I'm really confused here... thanks and God bless
What were the explanation(s) your cousin gave you that werent convincing about why women speak or now speak in churches?
Re: Should Women Speak In Church by Nasarawaboy(m): 9:28am On Jan 20, 2018
Proudgorgeousga:

yes you misogynist. misogynists just don't fall from heaven they have mothers and sisters too. you have to go as far as quoting d qu'ran as to justify why women should keep shut. besides Christ never said women should keep shut.

Hahaha
You don't know about me, but I bet you'll want to. Am not and will never be a misogynist. Abi I no go marry? I can't even hot a fly. Why don't we continue this discussion privately? Do you mind?
Re: Should Women Speak In Church by Seun(m): 10:15am On Jan 20, 2018
karllemah44:
As a novice that I am I went to a cousin who is also a pastor to explain why women now speak in churches but his argument was not convincing so I pressed further and he became slightly angry(he's way older) so I had to quit it.

To answer your question, women now speak in churches because many churches realise that misogynistic practices are not beneficial to them anymore due to the popularity of feminism and the more prominent role that women now play in society. The fact that Paul was totally against it doesn't stop them because they can just say that his misogynistic directives were only meant for the early Christians that he was writing to.

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Should Women Speak In Church by Nasarawaboy(m): 10:51am On Jan 20, 2018
Proudgorgeousga:

Can we chat privately please?
Re: Should Women Speak In Church by Nobody: 10:57am On Jan 20, 2018
Nasarawaboy:
Can we chat privately please?
no, you are a Christian.
Re: Should Women Speak In Church by Nasarawaboy(m): 11:12am On Jan 20, 2018
Proudgorgeousga:

no, you are a Christian.
So you're a Muslim? Wow!
Re: Should Women Speak In Church by karllemah44(m): 9:59pm On Jan 20, 2018
MuttleyLaff:
What were the explanation(s) your cousin gave you that werent convincing about why women speak or now speak in churches?

ME: why did the bible ask women to be silent and why do they now speak
PST: There was problem in the church, where the women spoke too much and tried to overpower the men's leadership role.so Paul asked them to keep mute
ME: Okay, where can I find the passage, like which portion of the bible records this problem
PST:there are bible commentaries about it..I don't have it now its in lag
ME: bible commentaries? shouldnt we read the bible and not commentaries?
PST: karlle I know where you are driving at...you can believe whatever you like
ME: okay..fine
Re: Should Women Speak In Church by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 10:30pm On Jan 20, 2018
I don't know what to say but what I know is that if there is anything that has kept women back it is religion especially Abrahamic religions.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should Women Speak In Church by mmsen: 11:06pm On Jan 20, 2018
Ladyhippolyta88:
I don't know what to say but what I know is that if there is anything that has kept women back it is religion especially Abrahamic religions.

The really sad thing is that despite the nonsense written about women in the Bible they continue to make up the majority of adherents in most churches, particularly the Catholic Church where they have been completely denied any position of senior leadership.

2 Likes

Re: Should Women Speak In Church by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 11:14pm On Jan 20, 2018
mmsen:

The really sad thing is that despite the nonsense written about women in the Bible they continue to make up the majority of adherents in most churches, particularly the Catholic Church where they have been completely denied any position of senior leadership.
You are not the first person to have observed this A lot of people have.The catholic church is playing a double standard here because outside Africa the women are allowed to come to church on trousers and not required to cover their hair when the chileans were preparing to welcome the pope I saw this and I was suprised.
Re: Should Women Speak In Church by Uyi168: 11:26pm On Jan 20, 2018
..In the light of the above verses,its safe to say women pastors are going to hell..

(1) (2) (Reply)

Deputy Governor Caught Sleeping With Another Man's Wife Disgraced(pics) / In The Beginning: Snakes Had Legs / If Tiny Covid-19 Virus Could Outsmart The Best Of Science, How Much More...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.