Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,057 members, 7,814,637 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:43 PM

What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know (2077 Views)

Religion Is Not The Reason For Backwardness In Africa, Our Leaders Are / Freedom From Religion Is The Best Thing Ever / Hey Christians, How Much Can You Really Say To Defend Your Religion? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know by Nobody: 6:32am On Feb 03, 2018
Now I must start by saying that the purpose of creating this topic,is not to start an unnecessary argument between believers and nonbelievers on who is right or wrong but rather to ascertain and analyze each others views on Faith.
I would like to first of all address this question as though I am the one being questioned so it wouldn't seem to some people that am trying to mock or make fun of them,you see the impression religionists have about atheists is that we are proud and rebellious people who defy our creator and deny his existence because we want to live bad lives....,this is largely untrue,most of us if not all left religion after a very honest and objective analysis of the veracity of our beliefs to which we came to the conclusion that that is not the right path for us, to living a life that will truly make us happy and fulfill our potentials,now you have not even made such analysis if you are a religious person so whether we are right or wrong I doubt if u are in a position to judge,and so back to the question.I can assure you that for me,if atheism was wrong all I need to change is a logical proof thay something called "God" exists and is interested in me acknowledging his existence and having a relationship with him and honestly if that was the case why do you think I would deny it because their of course there would be so much proof that even the wisest person on earth can not logically make any objection,and having such a being on my side would make my life much much easier, assure me of success on earth and eternity (if such exists) if I play by the rules,I mean I would do anything to have a 20 minutes chat with Mark Zuckerberg much less having a cordial relationship with him,now compare this to someone that supposedly knows about every single biochemical reaction going on in your body and not just yours, but in all 7 billon human beings,animals and all forms of life as well,knows about all the stars in the universe which is said to be more in number than all the words humanity have ever uttered,for me such a being is just too powerful to exist and even if he does I wonder what he would require from something as infinitesimal as me,now if actually he wants to have something to do with me why wouldn't oblige?. However I am an atheist so that means I haven't seen a proof that such being exists and wants something with me(I'm not searching either)

Now to religionists how would you know if the religion you are following was wrong,I'm sure it has come to your notice that over 90% of religious people (which includes you except you converted from your family's religion to the one you are following) do not choose their religion but simply follow the one their family and society introduces them too,and since their are so many religions in the world today with a large number of adherents it is safe to say that only one of them can be the right one(if at all there is a "right one"wink, so with that being said,if every religious person dismisses the possibilty that s/he may be adhering to the wrong religion then of course you would agree with me that there would be no way for any one to discover the " right religion",so it only makes sense that a Christian, muslim,Hindu,Buddhist or whatever s/he might be recognizes that there is a possibility that s/he is not following the "right" religion,now my question becomes HOW CAN ONE KNOW THAT HIS/HER RELIGION IS NOT THE RIGHT RELIGION BUT A FAIRY TALE CREATED BY SOME OTHER PEOPLE
Re: What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know by DeSepiero(m): 6:48am On Feb 03, 2018
No religion is wrong!
Re: What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know by HOLYDICK(m): 7:01am On Feb 03, 2018
Op do u believe that Ghost exist?

1 Like

Re: What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know by Rockyrascal(m): 7:13am On Feb 03, 2018
Nice right up OP, am a Christian not a devoted one though.

Sometimes I just ask my self why some sect of christians reject each other's ideology about christianity and also have different views and interpretations about the same bible. Maybe it's because of the views or believes of the head over their different commissions I say to myself.

What of the muslims Shia and sunni? They serve thesame God but different beliefs. Most people especially religious heads claim we serve the same God in different pattern and beliefs but there is still rejection, hate and violence in the society mostly because of religious misunderstandings. And then I ask myself again what if it is my religion that is wrong and not the islamic religion? What if it is the other way round? What if judaism hinduism, Buddhism e.t.c are the right religion, I still believe there is a supreme God over us but man as..... let me pause here.

3 Likes

Re: What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know by Originakalokalo(m): 7:26am On Feb 03, 2018
Religion is a believe system that a God exists.

So, Man should be careful of what he believes.

How will I know if my belief system is the truth?

1. I will check the character of the MESSANGER. I will ask this question,

Does his character depict the Holy God?

2. I will check who the MESSANGER is.

Was his coming foretold?
Or he just tells me that he was sent.

If God truly sent him, He should foretell us before his coming.

" I am sending a messager to you oooo these are signs you should look out for.."

3. I will check what the MESSANGER preaches.

With open eyes and mind, one would easily see the right from wrong.

JESUS is the way the truth and the life.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know by DeSepiero(m): 7:31am On Feb 03, 2018
Rockyrascal:

Sometimes I just ask my self why some sect of christians reject each other's ideology about christianity and also have different views and interpretations about the same bible. Maybe it's because of the views or believes of the head over their different commissions I say to myself.

What of the muslims Shia and sunni? They serve thesame God but different beliefs. Most people especially religious heads claim we serve the same God in different pattern and beliefs but there is still rejection, hate and violence in the society mostly because of religious misunderstandings. And then I ask myself again what if it is my religion that is wrong and not the islamic religion? What if it is the other way round? What if judaism hinduism, Buddhism e.t.c are the right religion, I still believe there is a supreme God over us but man as..... let me pause here.

What is God?
Re: What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know by DeSepiero(m): 7:32am On Feb 03, 2018
Rockyrascal:

Religion is highly flawed because it's manmade. Those questions of yours point to a bigger reality.

1 Like

Re: What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know by Rockyrascal(m): 7:36am On Feb 03, 2018
DeSepiero:

What is God?
God is a supreme being.

1 Like

Re: What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know by Rockyrascal(m): 7:39am On Feb 03, 2018
DeSepiero:

Religion is highly flawed because it's manmade. Those questions of yours point to a bigger reality.
if you observe in my last paragraph I paused hinting about man. Our mind and beliefs in religion was divided because of what the religious heads preach to us.
Re: What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know by Nobody: 7:48am On Feb 03, 2018
Originakalokalo:

Was his coming foretold?

" I am sending a messager to you oooo these are signs you should look out for.."

the complete post is downwards

1 Like

Re: What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know by butterflyl1on: 7:54am On Feb 03, 2018
darkchild64:
since their are so many religions in the world today with a large number of adherents

Darky, Darky, Darky wink

Can you list out these "so many religions "in the world today with a large number of adherents?

Re: What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know by butterflyl1on: 7:57am On Feb 03, 2018
[[s]quote author=darkchild64 post=64740438]

Let us start by saying that your definition of religion as a belief system that "God" exists is wrong,there are so many religions especially Buddhism which does not make any references to "God"

for your number 1 no objection

for 2 I have a problem,if going by your conclusion then I would say that Jesus coming wasn't foretold in the old testament, what Isaiah and the rest prophesied about what a Messiah that would free the Jews from captivity and gather the tribes of Israel together, however I don't want to start an argument on that,the main flaw in your argument though is that there was never a time that "God" told humanity he was sending a messenger it was the religious books that did and each has different versions to it so again another question rises,how do we know the right version,if at all such exists

for number 3 if u ask me I don't think I would pick Jesus teachings from the bible as being superior or more moral to Buddha's, I mean the bible me records that Jesus[/s][/quote]

Buddhism IS NOT a religion. So your whole charade here falls flat on it's face.
Re: What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know by Nobody: 7:58am On Feb 03, 2018
Originakalokalo:

Was his coming foretold?

Let us start by saying that your definition of religion as a belief system that "God" exists is wrong,there are so many religions especially Buddhism which does not make any references to "God"

for 2 I have a problem,if going by your conclusion then I would say that Jesus coming wasn't foretold in the old testament, what Isaiah and the rest prophesied about what a Messiah that would free the Jews from captivity and gather the tribes of Israel together, however I don't want to start an argument on that,the main flaw in your argument though is that there was never a time that "God" told humanity he was sending a messenger it was the religious books that did and each has different versions to it so again another question rises,how do we know the right version,if at all such exists

for number 3 if u ask me I don't think I would pick Jesus teachings from the bible as being superior or more moral to Buddha's, I mean according to the bible Jesus said that he came to bring division to the earth,he called people offensive names such as "brood of vipers", he disregarded his family's feelings when they were searching for him claiming that his brothers and sisters are those who follow him,he urged someone to abandon burying his father and follow him,he dismissed the need for people to wash their hands before eating ; claiming that it is not what goes in that defiles but what comes out,he cursed a fig tree because it had no fruits as if the fig tree was responsible for its lack of fruit at the period in time,he compared a gentile woman asking for his help to a dog,he promised to burn those who don't believe in him in hell forever(and technically this includes those who didn't even know of his existence if he ever did) but yet urges us to forgive others 77 x 7 times

2 Likes

Re: What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know by DeSepiero(m): 8:01am On Feb 03, 2018
Rockyrascal:
God is a supreme being.
What's special about a supreme being? I qualify North Korea's Kim as a supreme being too?
Re: What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know by Originakalokalo(m): 8:02am On Feb 03, 2018
darkchild64:

for number 3 if u ask me I don't think I would pick Jesus teachings from the bible as being superior or more moral to Buddha's, I mean the bible me records that Jesus

Jesus' coming was prophecied. The Jews expected The Messiah to save them.

He did. Saved them from their SINS.

Everything that was prophecied about him came to pass. EVERYTHING.

Some Jews believe even now.

The Bible of the Jews mentioned his sacrifice, countless times.

At least the Bible records his coming. The Quran did not record any Prophecy about the coming of Mohammed.

He just showed up.

1 Like

Re: What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know by Nobody: 8:05am On Feb 03, 2018
butterfly 1on I have respect and regards for you but I can very easily throw that away if u want me too,u saw what I said in the Op about not wanting to start an unnecessary argument, if u re interested in commenting on this thread,make ur comment in accordance to the topic and it should be logical to
What do u mean by asking me to name the religions with high adherents go and google that
and yeah Buddhism is not a religion says who ? You!!
such a joke

1 Like

Re: What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know by DeSepiero(m): 8:08am On Feb 03, 2018
Rockyrascal:
if you observe in my last paragraph I paused hinting about man. Our mind and beliefs in religion was divided because of what the religious heads preach to us.

Our opinions as humans about God or religion have never been undivided.
Re: What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know by Nobody: 8:10am On Feb 03, 2018
Originakalokalo:

Jesus' coming was prophecied. The Jews expected The Messiah to save them.

He did. Saved them from their SINS.

Everything that was prophecied about him came to pass. EVERYTHING.

Some Jews believe even now.

The Bible of the Jews mentioned his sacrifice, countless times.

At least the Bible records his coming. The Quran did not record any Prophecy about the coming of Mohammed.

He just showed up.

Alright the question I asked was "ASSUMING YOU ARE FOLLOWING THE WRONG RELIGION HOW WOULD YOU KNOW" now it seems like you are 100% sure that u are following the "right" religion ;chrristianity and your arguements have been to affirm that,okay,now let's say christianity is not "the" true religion how do you expect us to know,In other words what are the features you would see in a religion that would prove that it is a man made religion?
Re: What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know by butterflyl1on: 8:16am On Feb 03, 2018
darkchild64:
butterfly 1on I have respect and regards for you but I can very easily throw that away if u want me too,u saw what I said in the Op about not wanting to start an unnecessary argument, if u re interested in commenting on this thread,make ur comment in accordance to the topic and it should be logical to
What do u mean by asking me to name the religions with high adherents go and google that
such a joke

You have respect and regards for me? Awww I am flattered grin

I guess that comment just added a million bucks to my bank balance.

You want people to say why their religion is the true one and your mind did not envisage an argument? Lmao

Simply say you do not know that Buddhism IS NOT a religion and that you did not do your research before embarking on this fruitless journey.

Let me show you why Buddhism is not a religion.

1. IT HAS NO GOD
2. BUDDHA IS NOT WORSHIPPED
3. ANYONE CAN BE BUDDHA
4. ANYONE TAKES OWNERSHIP (THERE IS NO CENTRAL THEME OF A SPECIFIC SAVIOR)
5. BUDDHISM EXISTS WITHOUT BUDDHA
6. REALITY IS BASED ON INDIVIDUAL PERCEPTION
7. ITS OPEN TO CHANGE
8. BELIEFS ARE NOT CONTROLLED

Buddhism is a philosophy, Buddhism is an ideology and not a religion. You are the big joke here grin

1 Like

Re: What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know by Nobody: 8:26am On Feb 03, 2018
butterflyl1on:

I guess that comment just added a million bucks to bank balance.

You want people to say why their religion is the true one and your mind did not envisage an argument? Lmao

Simply say you do not know that Buddhism IS NOT a religion and that you did not do your research before embarking on this fruitless journey.

1. IT HAS NO GOD
3. ANYONE CAN BE BUDDHA
7. ITS OPEN TO CHANGE

Buddhism is a philosophy, Buddhism is an ideology and not a religion. You are the big joke here grin

okay Buddhism is not a religion fine,some Christians say Christianity is not a religion no problem

now my very good friend and guru butterfly1on what are the qualities you would see in a religion that would prove to u that its a man made religion u can cite christianity as an example am sure u would find many points grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know by butterflyl1on: 8:27am On Feb 03, 2018
darkchild64:
such a joke

I am still waiting for the answer to my question before I take you seriously.

Darky, Darky, Darky wink

Can you list out these "so many religions "in the world today with a large number of adherents?

You already failed with one (and that is Buddhism) so let's have the rest of the so called religions you know with very large adherents
Re: What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know by butterflyl1on: 8:34am On Feb 03, 2018
darkchild64:

okay Buddhism is not a religion fine,some Christians say Christianity is not a religion no problem

now my very good friend and guru butterfly1on what are the qualities you would see in a religion that would prove to u that its a man made religion u can cite christianity as an example am sure u would find many points grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

I am not talking about Christianity and you really need to be consistent. grin

First you say Buddhism is a religion and when shown your error you dance away and say okay it is not a religion.

Does this not show that you are embarking on a fruitless journey?

Regarding Christianity, I have always said that it is not a religion but an experience, a way of life. I personally do not "worship" God like some diety as some put it but I LOVE HIM as a father (not a diety) and he loves me as a son and not just a robotic worshipper.

Based on this I have no theoretical reason to present for my Christian preference because as I said, it is an experience and not a theory.

Use my words above to find yourself these man made religions you obviously already knew about before opening this thread.
Re: What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know by DeSepiero(m): 8:43am On Feb 03, 2018
butterflyl1on:

I guess that comment just added a million bucks to my bank balance.

1. IT HAS NO GOD
3. ANYONE CAN BE BUDDHA
7. ITS OPEN TO CHANGE

It's both.

Re: What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know by hopefulLandlord: 8:44am On Feb 03, 2018
DeSepiero:
No religion is wrong!
care to elucidate sir?
Re: What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know by butterflyl1on: 8:49am On Feb 03, 2018
DeSepiero:

It's both.

It's not both. Anything without a uniform approach or at least a central theme is not a religion. Buddhism is man leading man to become something greater. You can call it science of the mind.

You can ask a Buddhist for clarification. They know it's not a religion. In this case, dictionaries cannot help you.

The word is BUDDHAISM

let me split it BUDDHA - ISM

look at the definition for ISM

ism
noun · informal · derogatory
a distinctive practice, system, or philosophy, typically a political ideology or an artistic movement
Re: What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know by DeSepiero(m): 8:54am On Feb 03, 2018
hopefulLandlord:
care to elucidate sir?
First, by simply considering that right and wrong is subjective.
Re: What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know by Nobody: 8:57am On Feb 03, 2018
butterflyl1on:

I am not talking about Christianity and you really need to be consistent. grin

First you say Buddhism is a religion and when shown your error you dance away and say okay it is not a religion.

Does this not show that you are embarking on a fruitless journey?

Regarding Christianity, I have always said that it is not a religion but an experience, a way of life. I personally do not "worship" God like some diety as some put it but I LOVE HIM as a father (not a diety) and he loves me as a son and not just a robotic worshipper.

Based on this I have no theoretical reason to present for my Christian preference because as I said, it is an experience and not a theory.

Use my words above to find yourself these man made religions you obviously already knew about before opening this thread.

okay fine,I have nothing against the way you choose your life,and it seems you have no interest addressing the question I asked,there is no problem with that ,but I have a problem with you trying so hard to engage me an argument, I don't think there is any other thing for the both of us to talk about,I would now focus on those interested in the topic
Re: What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know by DeSepiero(m): 8:58am On Feb 03, 2018
butterflyl1on:

It's not both. Anything without a uniform approach or at least a central theme is not a religion. Buddhism is man leading man to become something greater. You can call it science of the mind.

You can ask a Buddhist for clarification. They know it's not a religion. In this case, dictionaries cannot help you.

The word is BUDDHAISM

let me split it BUDDHA - ISM

look at the definition for ISM

ism
noun · informal · derogatory
a distinctive practice, system, or philosophy, typically a political ideology or an artistic movement

Why do you fault a dictionary definition only to cite another dictionary definition?

Following your logic, lemme guess; Judaism isn't a religion too? and Hinduism?

4 Likes

Re: What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know by hopefulLandlord: 8:58am On Feb 03, 2018
DeSepiero:

First, by simply considering that right and wrong is subjective.
if I understand you well, you're saying no religion is wrong and none is right?
Re: What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know by DeSepiero(m): 9:01am On Feb 03, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

if I understand you well, you're saying no religion is wrong and none is right?

Exactly!
Re: What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know by butterflyl1on: 9:02am On Feb 03, 2018
DeSepiero:

Why do you fault a dictionary definition only to cite another dictionary definition?

Following your logic, lemme guess; Judaism isn't a religion too? and Hinduism?

You miss the point. Let me ask WHO WAS GAUTAMA BUDDHA? A man? A spirit? A diety?

If you say he was a man, then add Ism to that. That means Mans ideology. Buddhism is built around the teachings of BUDDHA. figure the rest out yourself .

Judaism has its roots in spirituality and the divine
Hinduism is same but Buddhism stands out.

The Ism used as a suffix in each is just to show you that it's an ideology as well but the foundation of the ideology is where the difference is found
Re: What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know by DeSepiero(m): 9:10am On Feb 03, 2018
butterflyl1on:

You miss the point. Let me ask WHO WAS GAUTAMA BUDDHA? A man? A spirit? A diety?

Buddha was man

The lexicographers that defined Buddhism in dictionaries also missed this point?
Wait! you're saying that the dictionary isn't correct in the first place?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Reopening: Church Service Must Not Exceed An Hour – FG / One Reason Why People Are Born Gay / Hell and Heaven Visitors: Do They See Peopie Of Other Religion?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.