Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,352 members, 7,815,719 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:08 PM

Nigerian Gospel Hip Hop: A Call For Support - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Nigerian Gospel Hip Hop: A Call For Support (420 Views)

Pastor Chris Oyakhilome Donates ₦‎100M To Jaga Testimony For Support / What Are Your Favourite Nigerian Gospel Songs? / Here Are 10 Nigerian Gospel Songs That Will Move You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Gospel Hip Hop: A Call For Support by Kingdombase(m): 3:01am On Jan 20, 2018
Gospel music in Nigeria is currently witnessing a steady rise in popularity and general acceptance and has also recorded successful accomplishments that were an ‘impossible task’ in past years. A typical example of this is shown in collaborations between our very own gospel artistes in Nigeria and those in the foreign scenes.

Sadly, Gospel Hip Hop (gospel rap to be precise), have not been so easily accepted due to so many reasons best known to gospel music lovers. The gospel rap music in Nigeria has suffered instability, uncertainty and low general acceptance. A quick survey I conducted among few minister-friends of mine as to why ‘Rap Gospel Music’ is not as accepted as the popular slow-tempo’ed style of gospel music (that is, if there is any word like that) shows that we need to stop listening to the high pitched beats and quickness of the lyrics, and start listening to its message in the words.

Below are some of the answers I got, and I think you’ve equally heard some of these reasons too as to why Gospel Rap is not spirit moving.

· The beat does not allow us to concentrate on the signs of the Holy Spirit.
· When youths start doing their rap, they start dressing indecently.
· Rap music is a genre from the pit of hell.
· Rappers are very rude, so we don’t allow gospel rap among our youths.
· We cannot hear and understand what they are saying when they rap.
· It doesn’t move the Spirit in us.
· It does not glorify God.
· It is a worldly style of music, so it shouldn’t be used to make gospel music.

In reality, if Gospel Rap is done rightly and correctly, it will blow your mind when you settle to listen to its lyrics word-for-word. Gospel Hip Hop is a genre that is meant to inspire, motivate, enlighten, bless us and shuns us away from every violence, drug, cultism, crime, etc.

This is a call for churches, gospel event planners, pastors, ministers, leaders, NGO’s and parents to support the Gospel Hip Hop artistes, as they are also in the battle against the kingdom of hell with their own crafts and talents. We as Christians can create something beautiful if we give these hardworking talents the listening ear they so much crave for. It could also be an avenue to prevent them from falling out of the Heavenly race due to frustrations, embarrassments and low self-esteem, as well as grooming the younger ones who believes they are blessed with the ability to make impactful Gospel Hip Hop music.

Just recently, popular Gospel singer Tasha Cobbs Leonard featured Nicki Minaj in her latest album in a song titled “I’m getting ready”, and the song came out pretty well and inspiring. The first time I heard that song, I had goose-bumps as I was surprised to hear Nicki Minaj giving glory to God. I got inspired to do something of that nature too, but that is a plan you all are going to wait to see/hear.

The Church is our home, and it’s the only place most of us can actualize our dreams. Let me take the liberty to list out a few Nigerian Gospel Hip-Hop musicians.
RYMSTA RAY
GAMIE
GIL JOE
LIMO BLAZE
DaBOOMSHA
GR8MAN TAKITI
NOLLY
PROVABS
YUNG KURT
4RUNNER

Source - KingdomBase

(1) (Reply)

If The Pastor Of A Church Dies On A Saturday Night / Open Heavens Daily Devotional 27/02/18 / Nigerian Baptist Theological Seminary To Celebrate 120th Anniversary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.