Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,753 members, 7,824,161 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:30 AM

I Want To Go Into Farming Biz This Year - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / I Want To Go Into Farming Biz This Year (717 Views)

I Want To Go Into Farming, Help! / Are U Afraid of loss in Poultry Biz ??Think Noiler! / Please I Need Your Advice Before Venturing Into Farming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Want To Go Into Farming Biz This Year by Dotundotman(m): 2:54pm On Jan 21, 2018
I need the help of experts for advice in Farming especially CASSAVA and CORN plantation.
Can this two crops be planted on the same piece of land in the same season
Re: I Want To Go Into Farming Biz This Year by yomie040(m): 8:52pm On Jan 22, 2018
Yes, these two crops can go together on the same piece of farm land, but not planted immediately in succession. for more details reach me on my signature.
Re: I Want To Go Into Farming Biz This Year by Nobody: 5:54am On Jan 23, 2018
I worked on cassava some years back (pilot project) with the intention of establishing a starch factory in one of the Free Trade Zones in Nigeria. We wanted to take advantage of free export tax and other incentives. So, I went fully into cassava.

Cassava might be one of the new crops for energy in the nearest future. Well, I am still not sure which will be more valuable for ethanol production. Maybe cassava, perhaps sugarcane.

As we know, most vehicles in Brazil do not run only on gas. There are even some categories that run on 90% ethanol.

Ok. My brother, you can have the following:

Cassava + Maize
Cassava + Maize + Yam
Cassava + Maize + Groundnut
Cassava + Legume
Cassava + Melon
Cassava + Chilli
Cassava + Okra etc.

I have done cassava ONLY but I have some materials I can share with you just to have an idea of how it is like. And to know the planting spacing, what to do.

Bro, you can do it but it may be tough. You will need to open your eyes well well. Why? You will definitely need to apply fertilizer. If not, your corn/maize will yield poorly or not at all. And there is a funny believe among cassava farmers in SW that you do not use fertilizer to grow cassava. I asked many of them and they have some funny answers. Serious, over 80% of them do not apply fertilizer at all. They just bury stems, and they remove weed from time to time. The next activity is to harvest. I do not know how your corn will yield anything meaningful if you consult a local farmer or you understudy one who doesn't use fertilizer.

Most people say understudy a farmer bla bla bla. For me, it is a double edged sword. It is good If you find a modern farmer but it is tragic if you understudy an old school. I tell you to go on a pilot yourself. If it is just 50 stems you can do yourself at your backyard, do it. And intercrop with corn to see all the challenges there. I do not believe in understudying failure. I look at the farmer, if he is poor, I do not go near him at all. Why is he poor?

It is not just how to put stem, weed or farm activities you need to know. If you want to understudy anyone, you need to look at his life style too. I am not saying the farmer must be rich, driving Prado SUV. Fine, he may not have got the breakthrough but there must be some qualities in him/her you should watch out for. But before doing that, study study study. Read some pdf books online so that you can have a broad knowledge before understudying anyone or before starting your pilot.

No matter how you choose to do it, make sure you are able to pull it successfully before spending on the project. Do not rely on just anyone who will say he is a consultant. Even knowledgeable consultants who are extremely good dissappoint. They can leave your job and start behaving like semi god after you have pumped money in the project. Then, they turn you to a househelp begging and pleading that they should get more serious though, you have even over paid them. And you are willing to still pay more.

So, equip yourself first. Study first. Go on a pilot on a small piece of land or understudy a modern farmer. Then, talk to many people to know where to get responsible workers you can work with. You need to make the following decisions: To use a tractor Or to use manual ploughing. Which variety? To process after harvest or to sell on farm. AND many more.

If you want, I can shoot you two of the materials. They are materials you can get if you search the internet yourself.

At this time, I do not cultivate cassava. Infact, I dropped it cos it is not so profitable for me. I chose to concentrate on something else. Therefore, I may not be able to assist You further.

Blessing!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Want To Go Into Farming Biz This Year by Asskab(m): 11:06am On Jan 23, 2018
buy ur ijebu,fingerlings,juvenile call 08086060960buy ur ijebu,fingerlings,juvenile call 08086060960buy ur ijebu,fingerlings,juvenile call 08086060960
Re: I Want To Go Into Farming Biz This Year by candygirl4real: 2:14pm On Jan 24, 2018
@ fluentinfor can u Pls send the materials to my mail. I am into Casava farming. njidekaemeghara2@yahoo.com thanks
Re: I Want To Go Into Farming Biz This Year by Almansur1(m): 2:37pm On Jan 24, 2018
@fluentifor pls can u send d material to almansur27@gmail.com i wan to go into cassava farming
Re: I Want To Go Into Farming Biz This Year by MDDarah84(m): 4:17pm On Jan 26, 2018
Pls send it to my mail darekuboye@gmail.com.Thank you so much

(1) (Reply)

DAY OLD CHICK PRICE UPDATE / Day Old Chick Broiler Available For Sale / Please What To Know And Information On Plantain Chips Production

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.