Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,814 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:33 AM

Protest Ongoing In University Of Nigeria, Nsukka. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Protest Ongoing In University Of Nigeria, Nsukka. (1175 Views)

Students Block Airport Road In Lagos To Protest Ongoing ASUU Strike (video) / BVN: University Of Nigeria Nsukka Requires Bank Verification Number For Registra / Chinasa Ufodu, Overall Best Graduating Student University Of Nigeria Nsukka (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Protest Ongoing In University Of Nigeria, Nsukka. by jeremylawrence(m): 10:07pm On Jan 21, 2018
A protest is currently ongoing in the university of Nigeria, Nsukka due to the lack of power supply affecting the male hostels.
the affected students went to the VC's residence and he assured the students that the power supply will be rectified tomorrow. some of the students organizing the protest threatened that if the light is not restored, there would be havoc in the school.
A student said:

"I’m Demola, a final year student of this great institution. For the purpose of a clearer understanding of what I’m going to be talking about here, I think it’s pertinent for you to know that I am a blind student; and I’m writing on behalf of the blind and some affected students of UNN.

For over 3 weeks now, our academic pursuit in this school has been distorted owing to the disconnection of power supply in the 2 male hostels, ‘Alvan and Eni-Njoku hostel’. Although, there are 2 other hostels which are as well affected, but the male hostels, which are usually allotted to the blind students’ shall be the focus of my discourse here.

There was a report that some cables were stolen from the transformer supplying power to these hostels, another report affirmed that the disconnection was a deliberate act by the department of works because of the illegal connections found in the male hostels; but the point is; we the blind students are the ones suffering this blackout the most.

Our reading gargets are strictly electrical and rechargeable, and without this power, we can’t read or do assignments. We use laptops and recorders which wouldn’t function without light. Someone like me who is in final year has lots of works to do, my project, assignments and impromptu tests are things that get me so engaged with my laptop but sadly, I’ve been lagging behind seriously in all of the afore mentioned as a result of the blackout in the hostel.

I know you may ask why we can’t find other places to charge our gargets, but do you think we find mobility easy like you guys do? We’ve got to depend on people before going round in search of where to charge. Someone may even say there is always generator power at night, from 7PM-10PM, but how can a 3-hour power supply in a 24-hour day be enough to do anything? Besides, there was a time when the ‘works guys’ came to the hostel to cut off all the electrical wires they perceived to be wrongly connected and since then, even when the generator is on, we the blind do not always have light in our rooms.

Late last year, I left the hostel and rented a lodge off campus so I could have some privacy and serenity to work on my project and other assignments given at my department, but when I discovered that the electricity supply at the lodge was intermittent, I ran back to the hostel all because the power supply there was constant. But where do I run to now? What will be the fate of we the blind students in UNN if this blackout should persist?

Please let someone help tell the school management, we the blind students are non-academic without power supply in our hostels…"
Re: Protest Ongoing In University Of Nigeria, Nsukka. by jeremylawrence(m): 10:13pm On Jan 21, 2018
the students threatened that if by 4pm tomorrow, there is no light in school, they would wreck havoc in the school.
Re: Protest Ongoing In University Of Nigeria, Nsukka. by Nobody: 10:14pm On Jan 21, 2018
Male hostels always experiencing power issues while light keep wasting in the female hostels up campus .

Cc : Fynestboi
Re: Protest Ongoing In University Of Nigeria, Nsukka. by Nobody: 10:17pm On Jan 21, 2018
Wreck havoc by 4pm ? coupled with the NASU strike you people are inviting trouble by yourself ,myself didn't hear the chanting of protesters this Sunday night seem it was a peaceful one.
Re: Protest Ongoing In University Of Nigeria, Nsukka. by Nobody: 12:02am On Jan 22, 2018
jeremylawrence:
the students threatened that if by 4pm tomorrow, there is no light in school, they would wreck havoc in the school.
They will be one to suffer it should they try it
Re: Protest Ongoing In University Of Nigeria, Nsukka. by otokx(m): 12:59am On Jan 22, 2018
They even have light 3 hours a day yet complaining. Nigerian universities should begin to explore non residential models to enable them concentrate on the core services of lecturing and research.

1 Like

Re: Protest Ongoing In University Of Nigeria, Nsukka. by Genesils(m): 1:21am On Jan 22, 2018
Make una get ready for Reparation fee

Demola, ehn ehn you get mind o grin
Re: Protest Ongoing In University Of Nigeria, Nsukka. by phemmyfour: 4:50am On Jan 22, 2018
Na wetin blind want take light do?
Re: Protest Ongoing In University Of Nigeria, Nsukka. by Daniel2802(m): 5:01am On Jan 22, 2018
There are certain things that angers the spirit.
How can we, living in the boy's hostel be suffering with just 3hrs of meager power supply.
How do we go about charging our appliances?
How do we go about our night reading in the reading room?
Females are enjoying 24/7 supply of light, yet they speak about gender equality.
#OurMumuDonDo
#BringBackOurLight
#4pmTomorrow
#Alvanite

1 Like

Re: Protest Ongoing In University Of Nigeria, Nsukka. by Twoclans(f): 6:01am On Jan 22, 2018
Daniel2802:
There are certain things that angers the spirit.
How can we, living in the boy's hostel be suffering with just 3hrs of meager power supply.
How do we go about charging our appliances?
How do we go about our night reading in the reading room?
Females are enjoying 24/7 supply of light, yet they speak about gender equality.
#OurMumuDonDo
#BringBackOurLight
#4pmTomorrow
#Alvanite

Most of the female hostels at UNN are located at the heart of the campus so that really explains why the light supply has always been better.

The two halls the OP mentioned are almost at the outskirt of the campus, it does not justify why power supply should be low,i hope this can be resolved peacefully.

Daniel2808 are you a lion?
Re: Protest Ongoing In University Of Nigeria, Nsukka. by themonk(m): 6:32am On Jan 22, 2018
Twoclans:

Most of the female hostels at UNN are located at the heart of the campus so that really explains why the light supply has always been better.

The two halls the OP mentioned are almost at the outskirt of the campus, it does not justify why power supply should be low,i hope this can be resolved peacefully.

Almost at the outskirts? Thats an inconsequential fact.
Are you trying to say it costs rocket science to supply electricity to the male hostels which is just a few miles from the female hostel or that it takes albert einstein to buy gas and power their generator.

Its not a matter of distance, this has been an issue right from when i was a student. The school management is relegates male students need for electricity. Its true males pay less for hostel fees but that should be because their hostels are obnoxious still pointing to the fact that the management lacks eagerness to do anything about male hostels. I pity those guys, i had to leave the hostel after my first year. Its quite sad that VC after VC no solid plan to renovate those male hostels. I hope things change soon and those guys deserve to protest.
Re: Protest Ongoing In University Of Nigeria, Nsukka. by opribo(m): 6:58am On Jan 22, 2018
They should close it down, it's not worthy to be called a university.

Even ordinary transcript application takes forever how much more electricity. The administrators should all be fired as a deterrent to other non perforners.
Re: Protest Ongoing In University Of Nigeria, Nsukka. by Twoclans(f): 7:30am On Jan 22, 2018
themonk:

Almost at the outskirts? Thats an inconsequential fact.
Are you trying to say it costs rocket science to supply electricity to the male hostels which is just a few miles from the female hostel or that it takes albert einstein to buy gas and power their generator.

Its not a matter of distance, this has been an issue right from when i was a student. The school management is relegates male students need for electricity. Its true males pay less for hostel fees but that should be because their hostels are obnoxious still pointing to the fact that the management lacks eagerness to do anything about male hostels. I pity those guys, i had to leave the hostel after my first year. Its quite sad that VC after VC no solid plan to renovate those male hostels. I hope things change soon and those guys deserve to protest.

Am not saying its costs rocket science to bring light to the male hostels. I only pointed out where the female hostels are located for people who have never been to nsukka.

The female hostels are lucky to have light because they are located where it's easy for eye service and propaganda to take place. Example :if someone comes into the school and sees light in the female hostels it's easy to assume that there is light everywhere and the school authority will score cheap points.

I don't want the students to take to violence and destroy things don't forget we have alot of them in this forum.

The SUG leadership should find ways to resolve the issues. I was in that school when more serious issues came up and I can confidentently tell you that violence is never the way.
Re: Protest Ongoing In University Of Nigeria, Nsukka. by themonk(m): 7:38am On Jan 22, 2018
Twoclans:

Am not saying its costs rocket science to bring light to the male hostels. I only pointed out where the female hostels are located for people who have never been to nsukka.

The female hostels are lucky to have light because they are located where it's easy for eye service and propaganda to take place. Example :if someone comes into the school and sees light in the female hostels it's easy to assume that there is light everywhere and the school authority will score cheap points.

I don't want the students to take to violence and destroy things don't forget we have alot of them in this forum.

The SUG leadership should find ways to resolve the issues. I was in that school when more serious issues came up and I can confidentently tell you that violence is never the way.
I get your point about the male hostel being located where visitors cannot easily see so therefore eye service. But that is not true completely, PG hostels which is a stone throw from male hostels are very well renovated and their generators are alwayd working so its not a complete case of eye service rather i would say negligence and the dismissive attitude of the management towards the issue.

By protests i do not mean violent protests instead i mean peaceful demonstrations. They should tell the school to regard them equally as students.
Re: Protest Ongoing In University Of Nigeria, Nsukka. by Daniel2802(m): 7:59am On Jan 22, 2018
Twoclans:

Yes I am. The utilmatum is 4pm today, what is good for the goose is good for the gander. I also want it to be resolved peacefully.
Re: Protest Ongoing In University Of Nigeria, Nsukka. by Hisduchess(f): 9:02am On Jan 22, 2018
so people still dey live for that Alvan and eni-njoku dirty male hostel eeeh.those days I no dey near there cos of their dirtiness and the fact that they call females tanker.
that ziks flat for Don fall finish abi.

superlioness
Re: Protest Ongoing In University Of Nigeria, Nsukka. by Twoclans(f): 9:03am On Jan 22, 2018
Daniel2802:
Yes I am. The utilmatum is 4pm today, what is good for the goose is good for the gander. I also want it to be resolved peacefully.

I hope it can be resolved peacefully.People should air thier views in a civil manner and put issues in proper perspective.

Wish you guys the best.
Re: Protest Ongoing In University Of Nigeria, Nsukka. by Nobody: 9:19am On Jan 22, 2018
Daniel2802:

You guys sha want to go home and return to pay damages. OK, continue.
Re: Protest Ongoing In University Of Nigeria, Nsukka. by christejames(m): 11:21am On Jan 22, 2018
The preferential treatment in UNN is becoming repulsive. The way the management neglect Franco entirely calls for critical thinking. I pray when the school's independent power station (Milhouse power) is finally constructed they won't excise that part of the school completely.
I hope Ozumba will look into their plight and resolve this problem amicably.
Re: Protest Ongoing In University Of Nigeria, Nsukka. by Daniel2802(m): 2:43pm On Jan 22, 2018
Twoclans:

I hope it can be resolved peacefully.People should air thier views in a civil manner and put issues in proper perspective.

Wish you guys the best.
It was a peaceful protest. Nothing was damaged and the school authorities addressed we the students. Just came back from classes and I heard they brought light to the hostel. Could be that they are working on it or repairing the generator.
Re: Protest Ongoing In University Of Nigeria, Nsukka. by rednerd: 2:46pm On Jan 22, 2018
Re: Protest Ongoing In University Of Nigeria, Nsukka. by Daniel2802(m): 2:46pm On Jan 22, 2018
writerights:

You guys sha want to go home and return to pay damages. OK, continue.
Did we damage anything last year, yet they increased the school fees of this session. Even when u add the listed items, they don't still sum up to the listed total school fees amount.
Re: Protest Ongoing In University Of Nigeria, Nsukka. by rednerd: 2:48pm On Jan 22, 2018
Re: Protest Ongoing In University Of Nigeria, Nsukka. by Twoclans(f): 3:04pm On Jan 22, 2018
Daniel2802:
It was a peaceful protest. Nothing was damaged and the school authorities addressed we the students. Just came back from classes and I heard they brought light to the hostel. Could be that they are working on it or repairing the generator.

This is great. I hope normalcy can be restored. This country is blessed with very intelligent and hard working people.Its just mediocrity that kills us .
Re: Protest Ongoing In University Of Nigeria, Nsukka. by Daniel2802(m): 3:27pm On Jan 22, 2018
Twoclans:

This is great. I hope normalcy can be restored. This country is blessed with very intelligent and hard working people.Its just mediocrity that kills us .
Same here. Currently still at the hostel, boys don dy ginger small small.
Re: Protest Ongoing In University Of Nigeria, Nsukka. by jeremylawrence(m): 4:52pm On Jan 22, 2018
Daniel2802:
Same here. Currently still at the hostel, boys don dy ginger small small.

ozumba just forsook us ooo... no light for hostel...

I pray this light issue is resolved soon
Re: Protest Ongoing In University Of Nigeria, Nsukka. by Daniel2802(m): 7:30pm On Jan 22, 2018
jeremylawrence:

ozumba just forsook us ooo... no light for hostel...

I pray this light issue is resolved soon
Same here bro, we're suffering and smiling.

(1) (Reply)

Apply For 2018 Government Of Hungary Scholarship Program For Young Christians / EKSU Best Graduating Civil Engineerin Student Receives N100 Prize In An Envelope / Aau Direct Entry (DE)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.