Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,751 members, 7,809,872 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:25 PM

Please Help Me Clarify This Issue Of Marriage Certificate - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Please Help Me Clarify This Issue Of Marriage Certificate (20780 Views)

Nigeria Introduces New Federal Marriage Certificate / How Can I Handle This Issue With The Wife Of My Boss? / Traditional Marriage Certificate Issued To New Couple (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please Help Me Clarify This Issue Of Marriage Certificate by Mopricelezz(f): 10:18pm On Jan 23, 2018
sammydirectly:

Cc: mopriselezz

It's a local government certificate. Federal certificate is similar but black prints, no green.
All local government certificates in the whole of Nigeria use this Exact certificate, no single LG can decide to change it. It is called Local Government Unified Marriage Certificate.

Local Government certificates are prone to be used by fraudsters easily. Roadside printers can even print it. Documentation is not done at the local government and their offices are often and easily razed by fire.

One of the criteria for a church to be licenced is the availability of fire-proof records storage.

Thanks a lot for responding to my many questions. I appreciate it
Re: Please Help Me Clarify This Issue Of Marriage Certificate by NoToPile: 10:35pm On Jan 23, 2018
sammydirectly:

It's a local government certificate. Federal certificate is similar but black prints, no green.
All local government certificates in the whole of Nigeria use this Exact certificate, no single LG can decide to change it. It is called Local Government Unified Marriage Certificate.

Local Government certificates are prone to be used by fraudsters easily. Roadside printers can even print it Documentation is not done at the local government and their offices are often and easily razed by fire.

One of the criteria for a church to be licenced is the availability of fire-proof records storage.

Okay.

Really @bolded well not too surprised anyway
Re: Please Help Me Clarify This Issue Of Marriage Certificate by Nobody: 10:39pm On Jan 23, 2018
Mopricelezz:

Hehehehe. Nigeria will get there. Lol. Thanks a lot for taking out time to respond to me. Appreciate it

You’re welcome. I had questions too while I processed both a fiancée visa (failed), spousal visa (success) and visiting visa (success) through USEL.

1) US visa officers answer questions on this forum

2) I consider it a requirement to be a member on VisaJourney.Com

Good luck.
Re: Please Help Me Clarify This Issue Of Marriage Certificate by Mopricelezz(f): 10:51pm On Jan 23, 2018
NoToPile:

Okay.

Really @bolded well not too surprised anyway
LOL. So which one do you have sir? Ikoyi issued own abi?
Re: Please Help Me Clarify This Issue Of Marriage Certificate by NoToPile: 6:19am On Jan 24, 2018
Mopricelezz:

LOL. So which one do you have sir? Ikoyi issued own abi?

Yeah ikoyi own.
Re: Please Help Me Clarify This Issue Of Marriage Certificate by Mopricelezz(f): 10:24am On Aug 10, 2018
EgunMogaji:
You don’t need to do your wedding at Ikoyi.

I got married in Ibadan at Oluyole local government and my wife is now a US citizen.

Don’t stress your family and friends needlessly.

Good morning sir, I need to ask you something as soon as possible. Thanks. I already sent a pm
Re: Please Help Me Clarify This Issue Of Marriage Certificate by bedoab10k(m): 10:18am On Sep 13, 2020

God, help me to simplify my response.

OK, here we go.

- Ikoyi registry requires 21 days notice and payment.
- if your church is licenced, at the end of the 21 days, Ikoyi will give you a licence to take to your church. The licence looks like a marriage certificate but smaller. It is not yours, but it is what the church will see before they go ahead with your wedding.
- Your licenced church will give you a Federal government wedding certificate (white in colour and black prints, no green) same as what Ikoyi would give you.
- the only difference between Ikoyi's certificate and your church's is nothing. Only place of joining and person who joins will be different. Place=the licenced Church. Person=Pastor/Minister instead of Registrar.
- Your licenced Church is only joining you on behalf of the Ikoyi registry. That is why they need that small license from Ikoyi to know that you have done the right thing by filing a notice in Ikoyi. In Ikoyi, a file is opened for you.
- The certificates the church is holding on behalf of the registry has 3 copies for every wedding. One is for you, the 2nd one stays in the church (with that small licence attached) and the third one is returned to Ikoyi either by the church or by you.
- Ikoyi also has a copy of the small licence they initially give you to give to the church, so, when the wedding is eventually contracted, the 3rd copy of your wedding which would be returned to them is attached to it.
- Please note that your church may decide to give you their own Church wedding certificate in addition. But it is only a church/religious certificate. But the one they give you on behalf of the government is the one legally binding you.

Ask me any question for clarification.

Modified:
Please note that if you fully contract your wedding at Ikoyi, you have fully legally married. You do not need to go to church again. But if you want to go to church, the church will not give you government's certificate the 2nd time. They may re-present your Ikoyi certificate and pretend to issue you certificate. Or they may give you their own certificate, which looks like baptismal certificate or school certificate. They may either call your wedding Blessing of Holy Matrimony or the real matrimony ceremony, but the deed had been done at Ikoyi.
- Please you must be sure your church is licensed. So many are ignorant and are not licensed. Once the church secretary or administrator or pastor cannot tell you what I have told you above, do not marry there. Go to court and marry fully.

Thanks for your response sir, please what advantages do Federal registry have over local government registry. Thanks
Re: Please Help Me Clarify This Issue Of Marriage Certificate by cerpvad(m): 12:44pm On Sep 13, 2020
Hello, I followed your analysis and I really found it very educating.

But I have this question.

On the 'small license' from court that you said would be taken to church , are the intending couples required to append their signatures on it, or is it only signed by the court registrar?

Thanks in advance for your response.

God, help me to simplify my response.

OK, here we go.

- Ikoyi registry requires 21 days notice and payment.
- if your church is licenced, at the end of the 21 days, Ikoyi will give you a licence to take to your church. The licence looks like a marriage certificate but smaller. It is not yours, but it is what the church will see before they go ahead with your wedding.
- Your licenced church will give you a Federal government wedding certificate (white in colour and black prints, no green) same as what Ikoyi would give you.
- the only difference between Ikoyi's certificate and your church's is nothing. Only place of joining and person who joins will be different. Place=the licenced Church. Person=Pastor/Minister instead of Registrar.
- Your licenced Church is only joining you on behalf of the Ikoyi registry. That is why they need that small license from Ikoyi to know that you have done the right thing by filing a notice in Ikoyi. In Ikoyi, a file is opened for you.
- The certificates the church is holding on behalf of the registry has 3 copies for every wedding. One is for you, the 2nd one stays in the church (with that small licence attached) and the third one is returned to Ikoyi either by the church or by you.
- Ikoyi also has a copy of the small licence they initially give you to give to the church, so, when the wedding is eventually contracted, the 3rd copy of your wedding which would be returned to them is attached to it.
- Please note that your church may decide to give you their own Church wedding certificate in addition. But it is only a church/religious certificate. But the one they give you on behalf of the government is the one legally binding you.

Ask me any question for clarification.

Modified:
Please note that if you fully contract your wedding at Ikoyi, you have fully legally married. You do not need to go to church again. But if you want to go to church, the church will not give you government's certificate the 2nd time. They may re-present your Ikoyi certificate and pretend to issue you certificate. Or they may give you their own certificate, which looks like baptismal certificate or school certificate. They may either call your wedding Blessing of Holy Matrimony or the real matrimony ceremony, but the deed had been done at Ikoyi.
- Please you must be sure your church is licensed. So many are ignorant and are not licensed. Once the church secretary or administrator or pastor cannot tell you what I have told you above, do not marry there. Go to court and marry fully.
Re: Please Help Me Clarify This Issue Of Marriage Certificate by Mopricelezz(f): 8:59pm On Sep 14, 2020
bedoab10k:

Thanks for your response sir, please what advantages do Federal registry have over local government registry. Thanks

Local Government certificates are prone to be used by fraudsters easily. Roadside printers can even print it. Documentation is not done at the local government and their offices are often and easily razed by fire.

1 Like

Re: Please Help Me Clarify This Issue Of Marriage Certificate by cerpvad(m): 12:05am On Sep 16, 2020
Please do you have any idea on the question I asked above? The person I directed it to seems to have deactivated.
Mopricelezz:

Re: Please Help Me Clarify This Issue Of Marriage Certificate by Mopricelezz(f): 10:22pm On Sep 16, 2020
cerpvad:
Please do you have any idea on the question I asked above? The person I directed it to seems to have deactivated.

I have no idea, I had mine done at the registry alone.
Re: Please Help Me Clarify This Issue Of Marriage Certificate by cerpvad(m): 8:47pm On Sep 23, 2020
OK. Thanks. What did the whole process look like? Did you both sign the marriage license? After how many days from that were you able to be joined together by the Registry?
Mopricelezz:

Re: Please Help Me Clarify This Issue Of Marriage Certificate by cerpvad(m): 8:47pm On Sep 23, 2020
OK. Thanks. What did the whole process look like? Did you both sign the marriage license? After how many days from that were you able to be joined together by the Registry? Thank you
Mopricelezz:

Re: Please Help Me Clarify This Issue Of Marriage Certificate by Marshiro(m): 5:57pm On Sep 24, 2020
Please whats the difference between date of oath taking and date of marriage when filing for notice of marriage at ikoyi registry.
Will also like to know if its advisable to file the notice at their portal online and also where one can swear for the bachelor's and spinster's affidavit
Thank you

(1) (2) (Reply)

New Study On How To Avoid Adultery In Your Marriage / How To End A Marriage In Nigeria / Child Discipline: Do You Believe In Beating Your Child?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.