Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,186 members, 7,807,628 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:30 PM

Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer (27308 Views)

Don't Sleep On This Laptop Corei5 500gb Hdd 8gb Ram For 110k / Tips On How To Set PC Power Button To Perform Hibernate Action / I Need A Computer Engineer In Lekki Or Ajah Area To Help Me Check My System (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer by joat247: 1:25pm On Jan 23, 2018
Hibernate and sleep mode are two different type of function in a computer that does almost the same thing by putting the computer into an easily recoverable mode compared to shut down but have have differences in the way the do it.

Sleep: This is a mode whereby the computer uses minimal power input to maintain the Standby in memory and pauses its state. The state is usually expressed by a blinking light

With the press of the power button the running operations will be resumed.

Eg: if before putting your computer to sleep you where running two programs and you where connected to the internet. After resuming your computer from Standby mode the two programs which you where running and your internet connection will be resumed. During sleep mode your memory is consuming power

Hibernate: This is involves powering down your computer, While the state is retained. When hibernating the content of the memory(Ram) it is saved in the permanent memory of the computer. An image of the computer is saved in a non-volatile storage media such as hard drive, and when resumed the image is used to restore the computer to the previous state.

When the power button is pressed again, the computer boots up and restores the computer to the former state using the image created earlier.

Eg: suppose two programs are running and the internet is connected before hibernating. When the computer is hibernating, it saves the data in the RAM to the hard drive and completely turns off the computer. When resumed the computer starts the operating system and restore the 2 programs to the former state, but the internet connection might or might not connect; this is due to the connection type and the configuration of settings.

What is the difference between Hibernate and Sleep on a computer?

• In hibernation, the computer completely turns off while, on sleep mode, computer is at a minimal power consuming state where the memory elements are consuming power.

• In hibernation, an image of the memory is saved to the hard drive while, in sleep mode, the memory is retained.

• When hibernated, the resumption requires the operating system to start-up from the very beginning (since the computer is switched off) while, on standby, the computer requires no start-up in the operating system.

Source:

http://www.itsjoat.com/2018/01/difference-between-hibernate-and-sleep-on-a-computer/

41 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer by chikasin4(m): 3:11pm On Jan 23, 2018
Yes oh first to comment.

This is educative. Welldone

17 Likes

Re: Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer by Nobody: 3:11pm On Jan 23, 2018
Like if you didn't read the post

9 Likes

Re: Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer by IMASTEX: 3:12pm On Jan 23, 2018
Noted
Re: Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer by sod09(m): 3:12pm On Jan 23, 2018
cooooooooooooooooool

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer by Mactons(m): 3:12pm On Jan 23, 2018
good info

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer by Q12(m): 3:12pm On Jan 23, 2018
Good explanation but I dont have Hibernate mode

Re: Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer by jdstunt(m): 3:13pm On Jan 23, 2018
Ok
Re: Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer by datola: 3:13pm On Jan 23, 2018
What about if you just close the laptop without clicking on sleep or hibernate. What is that called?

3 Likes

Re: Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer by mudiana(m): 3:14pm On Jan 23, 2018
does hibernating ur system often damage the hard drive?
Re: Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer by femsuper: 3:14pm On Jan 23, 2018
Good write-up
Re: Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer by 1zynnvn(m): 3:14pm On Jan 23, 2018
does hibernation damage battery
Re: Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer by nurez305(m): 3:14pm On Jan 23, 2018
Who does not know this doesn't deserve to own a laptop
Re: Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer by merbenko: 3:14pm On Jan 23, 2018
OK ooo what about shutdown
Re: Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer by nurez305(m): 3:14pm On Jan 23, 2018
Albert0011:
Actually I did not read the post, but I think the girl has no right to beat up her boyfriend in public maybe they should report the matter to their village elders but If the neighbor refuse to pay his rent they should just kill the landlord and forget about the missing car
very boring joke embarassed embarassed

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer by Adaomalight(f): 3:15pm On Jan 23, 2018
nice one
Re: Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer by taiwozy(m): 3:17pm On Jan 23, 2018
Sense fall on you

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer by jahbiz: 3:17pm On Jan 23, 2018
Educative better than sex doll stuffs...

4 Likes

Re: Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer by ibkkk(f): 3:17pm On Jan 23, 2018
Thanks for this!

3 Likes

Re: Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer by Lagbaja01(m): 3:18pm On Jan 23, 2018
Still trying to figure out the last point......
Re: Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer by omoharry(f): 3:20pm On Jan 23, 2018
my laptop only has Restart, Sleep and Shown down..not hibernation

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer by Fellydonis(m): 3:22pm On Jan 23, 2018
And just when you think it can't get madder
Albert0011:
Actually I did not read the post, but I think the girl has no right to beat up her boyfriend in public maybe they should report the matter to their village elders but If the neighbor refuse to pay his rent they should just kill the landlord and forget about the missing car
Bro, u just are mad grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer by LAFO: 3:22pm On Jan 23, 2018
Q12:
Good explanation but I dont have Hibernate mode
www.nairaland.com/attachments/6592769_screenshot20180123at15_12_04_png20b1cf530703c0b6d0ca6c137ac8474f
We are talking Windows you dey show IOS....
Wehdone Sir

3 Likes

Re: Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer by DanielsParker(m): 3:25pm On Jan 23, 2018
my system doesn't have "hibernate"
Re: Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer by DanielsParker(m): 3:26pm On Jan 23, 2018
omoharry:
my laptop only has Restart, Sleep and Shown down..not hibernation

me too,. shutdown, rather..
Re: Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer by DanielsParker(m): 3:26pm On Jan 23, 2018
I think they are all the same thing anyway.
Re: Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer by Mrkumareze(m): 3:29pm On Jan 23, 2018
My HP does not have hibernate. What's the cause or way out?
Re: Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer by Phi001(m): 3:29pm On Jan 23, 2018
I always hibernate... Never shutting down or sleeping...
Re: Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer by Ukeachu1(m): 3:34pm On Jan 23, 2018
Albert0011:

Albert Einstein... Present
Re: Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer by Ukeachu1(m): 3:35pm On Jan 23, 2018
datola:
What about if you just close the laptop without clicking on sleep or hibernate. What is that called?

Depends on your power settings

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

6 Most Popular Methods For Cracking Passwords And Their Countermeasures / How To Repair Corrupted Hard Drive/memory Card / Post All Laptops And Gadgets Related Problems For Quick Response And Solutions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.