Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,846 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:02 AM

Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer - Computers (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer (27362 Views)

Don't Sleep On This Laptop Corei5 500gb Hdd 8gb Ram For 110k / Tips On How To Set PC Power Button To Perform Hibernate Action / I Need A Computer Engineer In Lekki Or Ajah Area To Help Me Check My System (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer by Godsonkemz(m): 3:43pm On Jan 23, 2018
To hibernate is to put it in idle mood whereby your tasks are being paused so that you can resume once you boot the system while sleep mode allows the processor to function at minimized lower rate.

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer by PotatoSalad(m): 4:01pm On Jan 23, 2018
Hibernate is hidden in windows 10 cos it's not good for computers running on solid state drives. It spoils it over time
Re: Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer by ifeoluwa122: 4:05pm On Jan 23, 2018
cool
Re: Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer by mynamewilfred(m): 4:08pm On Jan 23, 2018
Nice post!
Re: Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer by Nobody: 4:10pm On Jan 23, 2018
Good job.Dear op I can't see hibernate on my PC,is it because am on windows 10?
Re: Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer by Emmayen(m): 4:10pm On Jan 23, 2018
Mrkumareze:
My HP does not have hibernate. What's the cause or way out?
right click on the battery icon, click setting, click choose what closing id does, click change settings that are currently unavailable click hibernate and save
Re: Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer by gcof(m): 4:15pm On Jan 23, 2018
datola:
What about if you just close the laptop without clicking on sleep or hibernate. What is that called?
you can actually set what the computers does to either hibernate or sleep when you close the laptop

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer by joat247: 4:26pm On Jan 23, 2018
chikasin4:
Yes oh first to comment.
This is educative. Welldone
Thanks you can subscribe to my blog to get more cool tech tips
Re: Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer by joat247: 4:28pm On Jan 23, 2018
omoharry:
my laptop only has Restart, Sleep and Shown down..not hibernation
You can activate from your settings in your control panel
Re: Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer by Mrkumareze(m): 4:28pm On Jan 23, 2018
Emmayen:

right click on the battery icon, click setting, click choose what closing id does, click change settings that are currently unavailable click hibernate and save
I raise brokus for you bro.i just did like you directed and its perfectly hibernating
Re: Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer by omoowhe: 4:37pm On Jan 23, 2018
DanielsParker:

me too,. shutdown, rather..
go to settings you can add hibernate to the list
Re: Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer by dammybabanla: 5:11pm On Jan 23, 2018
in this case,your computer does whatever it is set to do when the lid is closed...some may have their computer to sleep when u close the lid,some may have it to shut down..it all depends on your settings
datola:
What about if you just close the laptop without clicking on sleep or hibernate. What is that called?

1 Like

Re: Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer by encryptjay(m): 5:29pm On Jan 23, 2018
dammybabanla:
in this case,your computer does whatever it is set to do when the lid is closed...some may have their computer to sleep when u close the lid,some may have it to shut down..it all depends on your settings
Do you think closing it is healthy in system maintenance?
Re: Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer by DanielsParker(m): 6:09pm On Jan 23, 2018
omoowhe:
go to settings you can add hibernate to the list

Thanks, I'll take a look.
Re: Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer by netmillionaires(m): 6:27pm On Jan 23, 2018
There is. By default your system is not configured to show it. You will need to set it yourself. Search Google for how to 'how to show hibernate on windows laptop' and follow the process to set it up.
NOTE that you only have to do it once. After that, anytime u need to hibernate just go to where u use to see sleep, shutdown etc and u will notice that hibernate is now there
Phi001:
I always hibernate... Never shutting down or sleeping...
Re: Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer by Phi001(m): 6:34pm On Jan 23, 2018
netmillionaires:
There is. By default your system is not configured to show it. You will need to set it yourself. Search Google for how to 'how to show hibernate on windows laptop' and follow the process to set it up.
NOTE that you only have to do it once. After that, anytime u need to hibernate just go to where u use to see sleep, shutdown etc and u will notice that hibernate is now there
Huh?

I didn't complain about hibernation failure na...
Re: Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer by netmillionaires(m): 6:45pm On Jan 23, 2018
Sorry! It is a mistake. I wan rush form I TOO KNOW. I was trying to instruct the person above you.
Phi001:

Huh?

I didn't complain about hibernation failure na...
Re: Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer by nelsonebby(m): 7:45pm On Jan 23, 2018
Q12:
Good explanation but I dont have Hibernate mode
its the same as sleep. don't mind this op
Re: Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer by iamdapsyj(m): 7:51pm On Jan 23, 2018
Phi001:
I always hibernate... Never shutting down or sleeping...

It will slow down your computer in the long run.....its better to shut down to refresh the system... smiley smiley
Re: Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer by iamdapsyj(m): 7:53pm On Jan 23, 2018
nelsonebby:

The OP is right if you take time to observe your system....oya go do some assignments if u have a laptop.
Re: Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer by anyicash(m): 7:59pm On Jan 23, 2018
Mrkumareze:
My HP does not have hibernate. What's the cause or way out?
there must be some missing drivers..
Re: Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer by anyicash(m): 8:01pm On Jan 23, 2018
PotatoSalad:
Hibernate is hidden in windows 10 cos it's not good for computers running on solid state drives. It spoils it over time
it is not Hidden... reconfigure your machine.
Re: Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer by anyicash(m): 8:01pm On Jan 23, 2018
asuustrike2009:
Good job.Dear op I can't see hibernate on my PC,is it because am on windows 10?
contact me I have the solution
Re: Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer by anyicash(m): 8:03pm On Jan 23, 2018
nelsonebby:
it's never the same thing
Re: Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer by Mrkumareze(m): 8:03pm On Jan 23, 2018
anyicash:
there must be some missing drivers...contact me..I will give you the tools to restore it.

Nothing is missing! Na virus you wan give me Abi
Re: Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer by anyicash(m): 8:05pm On Jan 23, 2018
Mrkumareze:

Nothing is missing! Na virus you wan give me Abi
hahahajajajajajjajajjhahahahahahahah...
Re: Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer by Teemoney11(m): 8:34pm On Jan 23, 2018
Op, please my laptop doesn't resume from where I left it if I should hibernate it and on it later. What could be wrong? It starts normally as if I just power it on and my working session before hibernating would be lost. How do I resolve this?
Re: Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer by medolab90(m): 9:08pm On Jan 23, 2018
joat247:
Hibernate and sleep mode are two different type of function in a computer that does almost the same thing by putting the computer into an easily recoverable mode compared to shut down but have have differences in the way the do it.

Sleep: This is a mode whereby the computer uses minimal power input to maintain the Standby in memory and pauses its state. The state is usually expressed by a blinking light

With the press of the power button the running operations will be resumed.

Eg: if before putting your computer to sleep you where running two programs and you where connected to the internet. After resuming your computer from Standby mode the two programs which you where running and your internet connection will be resumed. During sleep mode your memory is consuming power

Hibernate: This is involves powering down your computer, While the state is retained. When hibernating the content of the memory(Ram) it is saved in the permanent memory of the computer. An image of the computer is saved in a non-volatile storage media such as hard drive, and when resumed the image is used to restore the computer to the previous state.

When the power button is pressed again, the computer boots up and restores the computer to the former state using the image created earlier.

Eg: suppose two programs are running and the internet is connected before hibernating. When the computer is hibernating, it saves the data in the RAM to the hard drive and completely turns off the computer. When resumed the computer starts the operating system and restore the 2 programs to the former state, but the internet connection might or might not connect; this is due to the connection type and the configuration of settings.

What is the difference between Hibernate and Sleep on a computer?

• In hibernation, the computer completely turns off while, on sleep mode, computer is at a minimal power consuming state where the memory elements are consuming power.

• In hibernation, an image of the memory is saved to the hard drive while, in sleep mode, the memory is retained.

• When hibernated, the resumption requires the operating system to start-up from the very beginning (since the computer is switched off) while, on standby, the computer requires no start-up in the operating system.

Source:

http://www.itsjoat.com/2018/01/difference-between-hibernate-and-sleep-on-a-computer/

I heard hibernation is notgood for a system
Is this true
Re: Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer by Freeman50(m): 9:44pm On Jan 23, 2018
This is interesting.....weldone.
Re: Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer by femarse: 10:41pm On Jan 23, 2018
people that says hibernation or sleep is not good for a system are those that just like to say things for the fancy of it
as a matter of fact it's more better to leave ur system in either hibernation or sleep than shutting down that is if u have constant power supply be systems that never shutdown 247 just sleep when done and resume when I am back (system is not my own) however did same thing for my system and the only reason I shutdown is because I am running down on battery and no power supply
u can leave ur system on 365 days a year and only sleeping when u are off it and the system will still be just fine
Re: Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer by bighitterjosh(m): 10:57pm On Jan 23, 2018
nice, noted....
Re: Difference Between Hibernate And Sleep On A Computer by PotatoSalad(m): 11:16pm On Jan 23, 2018
anyicash:
it is not Hidden... reconfigure your machine.
It is hidden my friend. Not that you can't enable it.
I use a Lenovo Legion gaming laptop and I only have the sleep, shut down and restart enabled.
Hibernation isn't good for SSDs

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

6 Most Popular Methods For Cracking Passwords And Their Countermeasures / How To Repair Corrupted Hard Drive/memory Card / Post All Laptops And Gadgets Related Problems For Quick Response And Solutions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.