Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,841 members, 7,956,167 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 06:36 AM

Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors (18640 Views)

No Programme Of Event Has Been Scheduled For Osinbajo As Acting President- Today / Osinbajo’s 48 Hours As Acting President - Punch / Gbagauns: President Jonathan’s Grammatical Blunders During His Campaign Speeches (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Beaf: 6:11pm On Apr 15, 2010
mobuch:

As far as am concerned, Jonathan is a good person, but He is in not the best leader We have at the moment. cool

We need a leader who is an all rounder in every aspect of life, and with that way, Nigeria will not just move forward, we will leap forward. period.

If you would be practical, you would see that it is near impossible for any of our political parties to throw up a "good person", because the Nigerian system is built to sustain criminals and corruption.
Jonathans rise is a freak one, he is relatively untouched by the evils of political party affiliation. He owes nobody, that is why he has been able to loosen the grip of the cabal. The best we can do at this time is watch and pray that he gives us everything we want in the short time he has. If he does, we give him another 4 years to completely change the political culture of the country.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Nobody: 6:13pm On Apr 15, 2010
agitator:

Please kindly tell us, how perfect grammar and speech translates to the development and well-being of Nigerians?

You need to be able to communicate your policies clearly to Nigerians so that they can support you agenda. Without support from the masses you can't achieve much in a democracy.

You need to be able to motivate Nigerians and build a movement towards your agenda so that everyone knows what is at stake. With that those entrusted with implementing Government policies will know that the people are watching.

The bane of democracy and development in Nigeria is lack of charismatic leadership.

If the leader can not rally Nigerians around a common cause, the leader gets isolated and will have no choice than to do business with the special interests and powers that be. But a charismatic leader can engage Nigerians to drown out the voices of fraudulent special interests.

Why we have failed in the last 50years is not due to lack of good policies. There have always been good policies. It is just that good policies die in Abuja due to failure of leadership. You can not lead if you can't communicate effectively.

IF THE PRESIDENT HAS DIFFICULTIES COMMUNICATING IN CORRECT ENGLISH, THEN HE SHOULD DO SO IN PIDGIN. All we want is effective communication and leadership.

We have a history of producing leaders who don't say much to the public. They release press statements they don't believe in through press secretaries and stagnants pictures. Then Nigerians now filll in the blank spaces. And you see people telling stories of what a good man the leader is.
How did you know? The leader has not even been able to communicate anything, how did you know anything about his intentions?

People need to wake up, we need to start doing politics like it is done in the 21st century. A leader that has got style can motivate a generation to hope, and with hope you can achieve a lot. Nothing ever works in a cynical society where the citizens condone mediocrity in the name of assumptions that the reasons the leader can't communicate effectively is because he wants to deliver results. How did you guys come to that conclusion?
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by tayo4me(f): 6:14pm On Apr 15, 2010
mama-gee:

Please tell the dreaming star. grin
He doesn't even have a dress sense yet everyone is all making a big deal about him.

What is it about dress sense mama gee has been talking about since sef? Will he rule the country with dress sense? So we can make a big deal about him if he had dress sense? There are far more important things to talk about please
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Nobody: 6:16pm On Apr 15, 2010
The Igbos were ready to die for Ojukwu during the civil war because of his charismatic leadership mostly driven by his excellent communication skills.

I too would be ready to lay down my life for Jonathan if He can make me enjoy listening to him.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Sunofgod(m): 6:18pm On Apr 15, 2010
To all small minded women - Is it only about dress sense you can talk about?

[size=14pt]If so - Exit immediately![/size]

Cant you see intellects are putting effort into discussing the issue - and you keeping spoiling it with rubbish!
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by tayo4me(f): 6:19pm On Apr 15, 2010
@post, many of us Nigerians get our priorities wrong. Grammatical errors, dress sense, all other flimsy issues do not matter. All that is important is good governance and development
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Nobody: 6:20pm On Apr 15, 2010
The Igbos were ready to die for Ojukwu during the civil war because of his charismatic leadership mostly driven by his excellent communication skills.

I too would be ready to lay down my life for Jonathan if He can make me enjoy listening to him.

@ sun of god

Pls leave them o, its a free world
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Nobody: 6:21pm On Apr 15, 2010
This is how we set people up for failure

Instead of aspiring for something better they say it does not matter.

Good gramma and good leadership can not guarantee that there will be development. But Bad communication and leadership skills does not guarantee development either.

So I will rather take a chance on a |President who can both communicate and lead.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Sunofgod(m): 6:22pm On Apr 15, 2010
Attempts are being made to divert from the topic.

If somebody feel his dress sense is an issue why not open another thread - rather than contaminate this one.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Nobody: 6:23pm On Apr 15, 2010
tayo4me:

@post, many of us Nigerians get our priorities wrong. Grammatical errors, dress sense, all other flimsy issues do not matter. All that is important is good governance and development

Is there a guarantee that a man who lacks good leadership and communication skills will rather deliver good governance and development more than a President who is charismatic?
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Beaf: 6:25pm On Apr 15, 2010
mobuch:

I too would be ready to lay down my life for Jonathan if He  can make me enjoy listening to him.

@ sun of god

Pls leave them o, its a free world

If you were a woman, you would invite the whole World to sip the nectar meant for one! grin
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Sunofgod(m): 6:27pm On Apr 15, 2010
Ojukwu was something else when it came to communicating.

But because of our inherent 'tribal differences' not all people will accept that fact.

But even today he communicates in an exceptional way.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Sunofgod(m): 6:31pm On Apr 15, 2010
There are also 'Great Political Communicators Liars' like the Tony Blairs of this world

So we have to careful not to become mesmerized!
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Nobody: 6:33pm On Apr 15, 2010
Sun of god:

Ojukwu was something else when it came to communicating.

But because of our inherent 'tribal differences' not all people will accept that fact.

But even today he communicates in an exceptional way.

Sanusi Lamido Sanusi is also good

so is Prof Wole Soyinka

So is Jerry Ganna

It is time to raise the bar for those who aspire to lead.

Every fool can allocate money to build Abuja runway. But that is not what we are looking for.

What we need is a real leader, Jonathan Goodluck is not a leader, he should go home and rest in 2011.

Donald Duke and El-Rufai will do a better job.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Nobody: 6:43pm On Apr 15, 2010
krendo:

Sanusi Lamido Sanusi is also good

so is Prof Wole Soyinka

So is Jerry Ganna

It is time to raise the bar for those who aspire to lead.

Every fool can allocate money to build Abuja runway. But that is not what we are looking for.

What we need is a real leader, Jonathan Goodluck is not a leader, he should go home and rest in 2011.

Donald Duke and El-Rufai will do a better job.

@krendo

Of course, Jonathan is definitely going to take a rest in 2011, because We are going to make sure that well read and charismatic Men like El Rufai, Ribadu and their likes are forced to come out and contest, so We can  say a big "NO" to mediocrity for the first time in our lives.

I, for one, will make sure I return home for that election and ensure that my presence is felt during that period, because it is going to be the mother of all elections.We Nigerians in diaspora can not continue running away from the task of re-building our country.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Beaf: 6:49pm On Apr 15, 2010
Funny people sef! grin
Let me add to your list;

[list]
[li]Jonathans toes are too long[/li]
[li]He is too dark[/li]
[li]He doesn't like tuwo[/li]
[li]He is likely to be able to speak pigin English[/li]
[li]He is likely to be able to swim[/li]
[li]He is likely to be able to make canoes[/li]
[li]He is a bad leader because, he doesn't speak like Obama[/li]
[li]He is not as tall as his bodyguard[/li]
[/list]

. . .Funny people! grin
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by ursa: 6:54pm On Apr 15, 2010
@mama-gee

Easy now for Goodluck J. See his cowboy cap represent the Niger delta hat.
That has been his trademark.

I believe Obama cross his legs in one of the pics is a sign of arrogance
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Kalamaya: 7:13pm On Apr 15, 2010
Goodluck needs to build up on his English when communicating,watching his interview with CNN this week he was not really comfortable using the English language,he was unable to complete most of his sentences.he should learn how to sit in public functions too,he usually sit as a babalawo in most occasions.particularly his meeting with president Obama and the interview he had with the CNN.i think our Nigeria popular actor Ukwa will act this rule in the public very well than what our Jonathan is acting now.i wish him Goodluck!
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Nobody: 7:30pm On Apr 15, 2010
thinking pronounced as ' tinking'

'but i will not want to force'.

virtue pronounced as 'vatue'

'we are told that he has acute pericadytis' ( past tense)

'we have been accused of as a country that our elections are somehow queshioned'

'the issue of the people in INEC'

'Between now and ending of June'

Tenure pronounced as 'tenor'

'the people we feel can not go back, we have to replace them'

'chairing INEC'

I can go on and on, this is really embarrassing,  I wonder if Jonathan studied oral English in primary school.

And one day, he will be invited to give a speech at an international conference, and peeps would just bust them selves with laughter.

Abeg, He should just go and decide what to do to make himself more presentable internationally. His dressing is a topic for another day.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Sunofgod(m): 7:42pm On Apr 15, 2010
One of the good points about the interview;

When he was asked whether he felt 'Mr Iwu' (INEC) was competent, he nearly fell out of his seat with laughter!

Then tried dodging the question!

I spontaneously laughed - He was expressing his true feelings!
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Sunofgod(m): 7:43pm On Apr 15, 2010
He's showed he's genuine - And not a fake

He has also as good as admitted he intends to run in 2011.

When asked about his intentions he said 'for now, I dont want to think about it'

(How about after the electoral reforms? - cool)
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Nobody: 8:02pm On Apr 15, 2010
Sun of god:

He's showed he's genuine - And not a fake

He has also as good as admitted he intends to run in 2011.

When asked about his intentions he said 'for now, I dont want to think about it'

(How about after the electoral reforms? - cool)

But he has also signified a willingness to revert to number 2 after being acting President.

That is scary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do we have a man who has no beliefs of his own just interested in anything that will ensure he remains in public reckoning?

Why can't he say clearly what his mind is?

I want Iwu sacked, I want credible elections, I will consider running if chosen by my party. What is wrong in saying that?

rather he is happy to tell us his willingness to run as Vice President after being President.

What a shame!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Sunofgod(m): 8:05pm On Apr 15, 2010
He spoke of the options open to him in all area's of politics.

I like it when he said that power rotation is only an 'unwritten law' within 1 party (PDP) and is not in the constitution of Nigeria.

He also mentioned that the law does not prevent him from running in 2011.

He could not give a straight answer (He's a Politician) - But I think I know what he meant -  wink

He knows what he needs to overhaul in order to smooth the path for him (so called electoral reforms)

Read between the lines -  cool
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by 006(m): 8:11pm On Apr 15, 2010
Well said,

krendo:

You need to be able to communicate your policies clearly to Nigerians so that they can support you agenda. Without support from the masses you can't achieve much in a democracy.

You need to be able to motivate Nigerians and build a movement towards your agenda so that everyone knows what is at stake. With that those entrusted with implementing Government policies will know that the people are watching.

The bane of democracy and development in Nigeria is lack of charismatic leadership.

If the leader can not rally Nigerians around a common cause, the leader gets isolated and will have no choice than to do business with the special interests and powers that be. But a charismatic leader can engage Nigerians to drown out the voices of fraudulent special interests.

Why we have failed in the last 50years is not due to lack of good policies. There have always been good policies. It is just that good policies die in Abuja due to failure of leadership. You can not lead if you can't communicate effectively.

IF THE PRESIDENT HAS DIFFICULTIES COMMUNICATING IN CORRECT ENGLISH, THEN HE SHOULD DO SO IN PIDGIN. All we want is effective communication and leadership.

We have a history of producing leaders who don't say much to the public. They release press statements they don't believe in through press secretaries and stagnants pictures. Then Nigerians now filll in the blank spaces. And you see people telling stories of what a good man the leader is.
How did you know? The leader has not even been able to communicate anything, how did you know anything about his intentions?

People need to wake up, we need to start doing politics like it is done in the 21st century. A leader that has got style can motivate a generation to hope, and with hope you can achieve a lot. Nothing ever works in a cynical society where the citizens condone mediocrity in the name of assumptions that the reasons the leader can't communicate effectively is because he wants to deliver results. How did you guys come to that conclusion?

Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Fhemmmy: 8:31pm On Apr 15, 2010
Sun of god:

He spoke of the options open to him in all area's of politics.

I like it when he said that power rotation is only an 'unwritten law' within 1 party (PDP) and is not in the constitution of Nigeria.

He also mentioned that the law does not prevent him from running in 2011.

He could not give a straight answer (He's a Politician) - But I think I know what he meant -  wink

He knows what he needs to overhaul in order to smooth the path for him (so called electoral reforms)

Read between the lines -  cool

Well, very soon all that wanna run will have to make their intention known and we will know.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by silentc(m): 8:33pm On Apr 15, 2010
I personally do not have too many issues with how he spoke and didn't notice a lot of grammatical errors.

I think he should have come across a little more confident as he is the president of Nigeria.

Some months back Ojo Madueke was on BBC hardtalk and I personally wasn't too impressed with  his elocution and diction. I am of the opinion that a president of a country should be able to speak with proper elocution of the English language. I personally don't think Jonathan did too bad. I guess he needs a little more refining. This does not mean that he is not a good leader etc.

Let us separate his leadership abilities from the initial comment of the original poster. I am of the opinion that a president should be polished and speak with proper elocution. If you are from a country where English is your first language (and as far as I am aware, it is still the national language in Nigeria), then our president should should be polished in his speaking. Being a president is a whole package ad this is one of the many aspects of it.

This should not be confused with "feeling inferior" to the "white man" or any other form of this. This doesn't mean he should speak with a British or American accent. There are many of our politician who are polished in their speaking. Even if there are multiple regional accents in the UK as many people say, the prime ministers of the UK always speak in clear English. I have never seen a prime minister that had the accent of Steven Gerard (no disrespect to Steven).

I am a Jonathan supporter and my comments above are not about his leadership or him personally but my opinion on of what I expect from a president.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by lordbayor(m): 8:34pm On Apr 15, 2010
u laughing that Jonathan had too many grammatic errors, well i think u need  to know that he is even far better than the so called Obama that u guys praise i mean worship , i will send u some link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4-AKcH3eC8&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwMQ0u7IPpA&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omHUsRTYFAU&feature=related

for get all the flamboyant and sweet mouth he gat just listen to how many mistakes he does , all his speech are done with the help of teleprompter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpM_Pv430Qg&NR=1

thank you very much ok , at least we dont want a sweet speaker all we want is some one to impart nigeria with good doings  

Kittos palionj
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Fhemmmy: 8:36pm On Apr 15, 2010
lordbayor:

u laughing that Jonathan had too many grammatic errors, well i think u need  to know that he is even far better than the so called Obama that u guys praise i mean worship , i will send u some link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4-AKcH3eC8&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwMQ0u7IPpA&feature=related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omHUsRTYFAU&feature=related

for get all the flamboyant and sweet mouth he gat just listen to how many mistakes he does , all his speech are done with the help of teleprompter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpM_Pv430Qg&NR=1

thank you very much ok , at least we dont want a sweet speaker all we want is some one to impart nigeria with good doings  

Kittos palionj

I do agree with you that we need an action leader.
However, has Jonathan act more than he is talking?
I respect Jonathan and i am sure that with time, he will do great things . . . . . But dont let us blow his trumpet more than necessary
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Nobody: 8:39pm On Apr 15, 2010
people are here painting myopic pictures on how Jonathan has broken the electricity jinx,
that is all trash, I have been informed from a reliable source that the improved power supply in Nigeria today is as a result of the prevailing peace in the Niger-Delta. Since there is peace in the Niger- Delta now, Gas production has increased and the result is improved power supply all over the country.

Now my question is: who started the Peace process in the Niger- Delta? Your answer is as good as mine: Yara dua
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Fhemmmy: 8:41pm On Apr 15, 2010
mobuch:

people are here painting myopic pictures on how Jonathan has broken the electricity jinx,
that is all trash, I have been informed from a reliable source that the improved power supply in Nigeria today is as a result of the prevailing peace in the Niger-Delta. Since there is peace in the Niger- Delta now, Gas production has increased and the result is improved power supply all over the country.

Now my question is: who started the Peace process in the Niger- Delta? Your answer is as good as mine: Yara dua

I beg make i hear word . . . . I am sorry to say i refuse to praise Nigeria cos people are now having electricity for 6 hours in a day, while they are human and nothing stops Nigerians from enjoying lights 24hours a day, 7 days a week.
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by Nobody: 8:52pm On Apr 15, 2010
I mean these are things we take for granted here in norway,
i have electricity 24/7,
i have fast internet service 24/7
At the turn of my tap anytime of the day, clean drinking water comes rushing out.

And some people here are shouting halleluyah because of 6 hours a day worth of electricity.

That is why the western world would always laugh at our stupidity as Nigerians,

we are just too gullible to be existing in this 21st century. Haba
Re: Acting President Goodluck Jonathan And His Too Many Grammatical Errors by ProAnti: 9:02pm On Apr 15, 2010
@mobuch,

Are you a Nigerian?

@Topic,
Jonathan needs a speech therapist. I wasnt impressed with the way he answered Amanpour's questions. However, He has shown signs off action-oriented leadership.

BTW, I am surprised kobojunkie hasnt made any comment. Abi she don change username?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Politicians Beat Themselves At Kwara PDP Governorship Primary / ISIS Trains Boko Haram Fighters, Says Jonathan / South Africa,ghana,kenya & African Countries Are More Developed Than Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.