Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,451 members, 7,836,792 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:43 PM

Ethiopia Launches Electric Car - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Ethiopia Launches Electric Car (7596 Views)

President Barack Obama Arrives Ethiopia (Photos) / Ethiopia Is Nt As Ya Tink / African Union Opens a Chinese-funded Hq In Ethiopia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ethiopia Launches Electric Car by Beaf: 1:49pm On Apr 15, 2010
[size=14pt]Ethiopia launches electric car despite power shortages[/size] 

Ethiopia has launched an electric car, despite suffering from power shortages. It is only the second African country to do so, after South Africa.

Two versions of the Solaris Elettra will be manufactured in Addis Ababa, costing around $12,000 and $15,000.

The cars will be sold in Ethiopia and exported to Africa and Europe.

But some doubt if Africa, where erratic power supplies, low levels of personal wealth and poor infrastructure are common, is ready for electric cars.

Carlo Pironti, general manager of Freestyle PLC, the company producing the Solaris, told the BBC's Uduak Amimo in Addis Ababa that Ethiopia's electricity shortages were not a major obstacle to operating an electric car.

"Ethiopia in future will have lots of power supply," he said.

"In any case, the car can be recharged by generator and by solar power."

Rwanda's bio-diesel bus 
Taxes on cars in Ethiopia can be more than 100% and many Ethiopians with low incomes will struggle to afford an electric car.

To overcome this problem, Mr Pironti says his company will develop a credit system for less affluent customers.

Six Solaris Elettras will be produced every week for the next three months, rising to 30 per week when Freestyle's factory in Addis Ababa is fully operational, he says.

Mr Pironti says he wants to take the Solaris "from a green country to a green world," referring to the company's plans to export the car from Ethiopia to Africa and beyond.

But Wayne Batty, senior writer at South Africa's Topcar magazine, believes only a small percentage of Africa has the necessary infrastructure to support an electric car.

Mr Batty told the BBC's Focus on Africa programme that electric cars are fine for short trips of 40 to 50 km (25 to 31 miles), but African countries lack the recharging points for longer journeys.

Ethiopia's electric car comes after Rwanda launched its first bio-diesel bus last week.

It is currently building a huge hydro-electric dam on the Omo river and hopes to become a major exporter of energy when that is completed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/8596455.stm

Re: Ethiopia Launches Electric Car by Nobody: 8:41pm On Apr 15, 2010
And the so called ' Giant of Africa ' is yet to launch a bicycle !!
Re: Ethiopia Launches Electric Car by Horus(m): 8:59pm On Apr 15, 2010
Africans should buy this car, this will help the Ethiopian car industry.
Re: Ethiopia Launches Electric Car by slimes(m): 3:29pm On Apr 17, 2010
Electricity in Africa is a problem but with solar power, it'll be tackled. Kudos to Ethiopia, the home of Eden.
Re: Ethiopia Launches Electric Car by Nobody: 3:32pm On Apr 17, 2010
To be fair Nigeria has built an armoured  vehicle.

Question is, will the skills of the guys who built it be used more effectively to build small eco-friendly cars ?

[img]http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg&STREAMOID=CS3wxPwC7RmhDC_iaDgRQC6SYeqqxXXqBcOgKOfTXxQEY5WGOgRqZA$fKPS2TX_bnW_PgxgftuECOcfJwS6Jtlp$r8Fy$6AAZ9zyPuHJ25T7a9GKDSxsGxtpmxP0VAUyHL6IDcZHtmM2t7xO$FHdJG95dFi6y2Uma3vSsvPpVyo-[/img]
Re: Ethiopia Launches Electric Car by SuperT(m): 3:46pm On Apr 17, 2010
@frosbel,
Let this guys be encouraged and be supported by Nigeria for proper effectiveness.
Our people from east should be call also.
Re: Ethiopia Launches Electric Car by sley4life(m): 3:51pm On Apr 17, 2010
Good for them.What will 9ja launch apart from corruption
Re: Ethiopia Launches Electric Car by naijacutee(f): 3:59pm On Apr 17, 2010
Yeah, baby!!! More grease to the elbows of our African brothers! Solidarity is the way forward!!
Re: Ethiopia Launches Electric Car by Nobody: 4:06pm On Apr 17, 2010
look the thing is there are brains in this country but the oppurtunity doesnt exist at all!!!
Re: Ethiopia Launches Electric Car by royalicon(m): 4:34pm On Apr 17, 2010
Good step to development
Re: Ethiopia Launches Electric Car by Ibime(m): 4:36pm On Apr 17, 2010
$15,000 for that car? Dem dey craze!

Ill stick to ma Japanese and German models, thanks very much.
Re: Ethiopia Launches Electric Car by altima: 4:40pm On Apr 17, 2010
wow africa is coming up
Re: Ethiopia Launches Electric Car by suxes2005(m): 4:49pm On Apr 17, 2010
Nice one there!

SHALOM
Re: Ethiopia Launches Electric Car by Amhatu(m): 4:52pm On Apr 17, 2010
A good read and Idea.

Some years ago I believe 1995 while in school, I read a Person from Enugu if not mistaken built and in the process of developing a car  called the "Z Saloon 500".

If anyone have any information if the producer of this car (Z Saloon 500) is still trying to develop it? Thanks
Re: Ethiopia Launches Electric Car by agborodun: 5:00pm On Apr 17, 2010
long live Africa, Up Ethiopia
Re: Ethiopia Launches Electric Car by tipzee(m): 5:04pm On Apr 17, 2010
Nice, I had said welcome to this New development When I Heard 'bout it, we hope to have such in naija soon.
Re: Ethiopia Launches Electric Car by sheatt: 5:30pm On Apr 17, 2010
naija wud build a solar powered car in the next few years
Re: Ethiopia Launches Electric Car by labiyemmy(m): 6:01pm On Apr 17, 2010
if it is built in Naija they will say na ibo made., so dont buy it.
Re: Ethiopia Launches Electric Car by Beaf: 6:07pm On Apr 17, 2010
@labiyemmy:

if it is built in Naija they will say na ibo made., so dont buy it.

That is the reason govt needs to step in and ban the importation of any goods with "Igbo made" counterparts. We will be forced to patronise our local industry that way.

In the meantime, way to go Ethiopia! Carry go!
Re: Ethiopia Launches Electric Car by Feraz(m): 6:13pm On Apr 17, 2010
@labiyemmy:

if it is built in Naija they will say na Igbo made., so dont buy it.
not even that, they'll say has it undergone various tests, if that is not enough, they'll say it was modelled after a car in blah blah country. Whenever i see a country in Africa do something good, i'm happy, but also angry, at d fact that the govt is not doing its best to turn the country into a manufacturing one. If talents were tapped after civil war or the govt brings in people who are making it in various countries and provides the necessary facilities, we would have been exporting machines. Congrats to Ethiopia for achieving this.
Re: Ethiopia Launches Electric Car by iz2much: 6:17pm On Apr 17, 2010
. . . . .just Walking By
Re: Ethiopia Launches Electric Car by Feraz(m): 6:24pm On Apr 17, 2010
Another thing there is this: the govt would rather import than develop and encourage them which leaves people to die with their God given talents.
Re: Ethiopia Launches Electric Car by AYODEJI4LOVE(m): 6:30pm On Apr 17, 2010
@frosbel pls where is that car that was launched in nigeria
Re: Ethiopia Launches Electric Car by MonGee(m): 6:37pm On Apr 17, 2010
That's a good one even though it is not economical. Our govt. needs to step up its game by encouraging our local technology.
Re: Ethiopia Launches Electric Car by Nobody: 7:08pm On Apr 17, 2010
Ibime:

$15,000 for that car? Dem dey craze!

Ill stick to ma Japanese and German models, thanks very much.

i have to agree. there lies the catch in most of these 'eco friendly' cars you pay through your nose for a vehicle that cannot provide a quarter (let me be generous) of the performance of your regular car
Re: Ethiopia Launches Electric Car by rickie4us(m): 8:42pm On Apr 17, 2010
Good for them
Re: Ethiopia Launches Electric Car by proudly9ja(m): 9:09pm On Apr 17, 2010
Kudos to the Ethiopians.

However, there is nothing extra ordinary in building a vehicle powered by electricity. The main issue like most people here have mentioned is government support.

If I was Lagos State governor for instance, Ild sponsor research into developing Buses powered by electricity in Lagos State. These buses will eventually take over from the ones presently used in the BRT scheme. There will be charge points (solar powered, etc) at strategic places in between journeys to make sure that vehicles do not lack power.
In the long run, considering cost of fuel and maintenance of vehicle (should be far more cheaper in this case as electicity powered vehicles do not have as many moving parts as petrol/diesel powered vehicles), these type of BUSES will be cheaper and ofcourse, eco friendly.
Re: Ethiopia Launches Electric Car by Sonofpeace(m): 9:24pm On Apr 17, 2010
Wow! Thats splendid. This is Ethopians first step to greatness. I wish em' good luck.
Re: Ethiopia Launches Electric Car by member479760: 7:09am On Apr 18, 2010
This car is too expensive if actually it was made in Ethiopia and by Ethiopians. In fact, we should stop jubilating that Ethiopia manufactured an electric car. Let them go for large scale farming, feed themselves and stop appealing for food every year.
Re: Ethiopia Launches Electric Car by Nobody: 10:13am On Apr 18, 2010
nakedall:

This car is too expensive if actually it was made in Ethiopia and by Ethiopians. In fact, we should stop jubilating that Ethiopia manufactured an electric car. Let them go for large scale farming, feed themselves and stop appealing for food every year.

Why stop being happy for the Ethiopians? I for one think it's a great move forward, in the right direction.

An electric car will be expensive, as R&grin doesn't come cheap. It will also pay for itself in the long run, compared to an ICE-powered car.
Re: Ethiopia Launches Electric Car by Litmus: 10:17am On Apr 18, 2010
Good on Ethiopia. However, on the criticism of Nigeria, people should know that Nigeria has a long and quite extraordinary history of individuals and groups manufacturing these sorts of things.  The Igbos used to knock up TV's, fridges, shoes, buckets, irons cycles, engine parts, gary makers etc.  Variously, the country manufactured cars like the ogala (spelling) light aircraft, light weapons. Mentioning light weapons, when i was 8, my senior brother, then about 12 years old, knocked up a gun. He made it out of carved wood, metal pipe, leather and cycle spoke. the first we knew anything about it was when a loud explosion disturbed the house, we rushed to the point of the sound only to find a great big hole at the center of the door of the room where all of us young ones slept. my father unfortunately whacked the ingenuity out of him that day. The rest of us, as kids, also used to make small flying helicopters out of salvaged motors and bamboos.

There has been a number of post on this board that has touched on Nigeria and its car making exploits. Here's one: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-301028.32.html

Ethiopians are alright. I like the people.

I have the suspicion that the more that African nations show the ingenuity of Nigerians the more secure will be Nigeria.  

1 Like

Re: Ethiopia Launches Electric Car by sylve11: 10:44am On Apr 18, 2010
Good work brother Ethiopia! I like this challenge cool

(1) (2) (Reply)

Romney’s Concession Speech: Video & Transcript / GOP candidate Carson: A Muslim Shouldn't Be President / Pakistan Government Sacks 250 Pot-bellied Police Officers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.