|Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New|
Stats: 2,448,992 members, 5,517,482 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 April 2020 at 05:14 PM
Diana Asamoah: Those Who Drink Alcohol Don’t Have Sense – Evangelist Says / Perfect Religion: Why Do Some Pastors Emphasise Mala. 3:10 More Than James 1:27? / 10 Reasons Christianity Makes No Sense (2) (3) (4)
|10 More Reasons Christianity Makes Zero Sense by Emmytes(m): 2:59pm On Jan 26, 2018|
1. God could have just forgiven us. If god is omnipotent, he can do whatever he wants for whatever reason – which, in the Old Testament, he pretty much does; the Book of Job proved that following all of god’s rules was no guarantee that he wouldn’t screw you over and murder your family just because he can. Possessed of the power and the will, if he wanted to absolve humanity of its sins, why not just do so? Better yet, why not just make sin disappear altogether, or make humans sin-free in the first place? Giving yourself a son with the express intent of torturing him to death and then resurrecting him as a way to show your mercy seems unnecessary at best, and it is certainly not merciful. Making matters worse, even after this gruesome spectacle there are strings attached to god’s so-called forgiveness because you are forgiven only if you accept that Jesus was the son of god – not a slam dunk seeing as how Jesus is as easily interpreted as a nutcase as he is a prophet. True to form, God declines to provide any actual evidence of Jesus’ divinity while simultaneously making his forgiveness contingent upon accepting that premise. The story of the crucifixion in fact strikes me as a lot closer to the story of Job – of mean-spiritedness for its own sake – than a story of love and redemption.
2. Pick a testament already. When confronted with the atrocities of the bible, Christians are quick to point out that it’s just the god of the Old Testament who was vengeful, and that Jesus created a new covenant, and blah blah blah. They then proceed to rail against homosexuality and erect Ten Commandments monuments in capitol buildings and courthouses. There’s either some serious cherry picking or some erroneous theology going on here. Or both.
3. The devil is a thing. An omnipotent, omniscient god would not have any rivals or equals – he’d not only have the power to defeat any enemy, he’d have the ability to simply not create any for himself in the first place. The bible itself says that god is the one who created evil, in which case he deliberately set a trap for humans with the foreknowledge that many of us would become ensnared, both by the evil tendencies with which he endowed us, and by the collateral damage such individuals create. God either created everything or he didn’t; he either knows all or he doesn’t. If he did and he does, then it is god who is in fact responsible for evil, and Satan is just god’s scapegoat. If he didn’t and he doesn’t, he isn’t much of a god.
4. And speaking of the devil, what’s the deal with hell? “Here is a list of things to never do. If you do any of them, you will be tortured in a pit of fire for all eternity where your organs will be slowly ripped out and eaten by jackals and your eyes pecked out by crows. Unless you grovel to me at the very last possible moment before death, in which case I’ll forgive you for doing the things I forbade you to do under penalty of eternal torment. Actually never mind, just do whatever as long as you don’t skip the groveling part. And make sure you believe in me – like, really, seriously believe, ‘cause that’s where I draw the line. I mean, a deity has to have his pride, right? So list-schmist, just be sure you suck up to me. Or I’ll burn your ass. Forever. Oh, and have I told you lately how much I love you?”
5. Free will isn’t free. Other than the devil, Christians’ favorite rationalization of the ubiquitous evil and suffering in the world is free will. “He gives us a choice to accept him or not. If you choose not to accept him, then you are the one choosing to be evil / go to hell / condemn yourself / damn all of humanity.” Set aside for a moment that an omniscient and omnipotent god would already know who is and is not going to accept him because he is the one who decided for each of us whether we would or not. Set aside the questionable utility of creating people who are already doomed to hell before they are even born. Set aside the questions of disease and natural disaster, which are not brought about by human acts of will. Let’s say for the sake of argument that Adam Lanza, for instance, slaughtered 27 people including 20 little children simply because he was exercising the free will that god gave him. How does that absolve god of any responsibility? Sure, you could say that god didn’t make the murderer do what he did because the murderer had free will, but you can’t say god didn’t stand idly by and let it happen even though he had the power to stop it. If the price of free will is that it can be misused by some to inflict terrifying, painful, violent deaths on innocent children, and that is a price that god is willing to pay, what’s that say about your god.
6. The bible requires interpretation. If the bible is the word of god and if the New Testament is the holy scripture upon which Christianity is based, then that should pretty much seal the deal in terms of what Christianity is all about. “Here’s what god told us to do, now let’s go do it.” Except it hasn’t quite worked out that way, as evidenced by the thousands of sects of Christianity, and the millions of people who vaguely identify as “Christian” in spite of their rejection of the vast majority of what is written in their own scripture. Even more perplexing are Christian claims of bible passages being taken out of context or being allegorical. Conveniently, the parts that Christians often claim are allegorical are the parts that make god look like less than a wonderful, loving father figure, while the parts they claim are literal truth are the ones that resonate – surprise! – with their already closely held biases and beliefs. Intellectual honesty, however, requires that the bible is either all true, or all allegory. If it is all true, then Christians must embrace all of it, including the parts that are unflattering to their lord and savior. If it is all allegory, then there are as many ways of being Christian as there are humans on the planet. Many of us shake our heads at fundamentalists like Ray Comfort and Ken Ham, but in truth, by taking a consistent approach to their interpretation of the bible as a whole, they are more intellectually honest than so-called moderate Christians, who may be more reasonable but are the most egregious cherry-pickers.
7. You have a personal relationship with who? How do you have a “personal relationship” with a man who has been dead for 2,000 years? When you say you “love” Jesus, what emotion is it that you are experiencing given that you have never seen him, spoken with him, or even read his own words? Stranger still, what exactly are you feeling when you say that he loves you back? How is a personal relationship with Jesus different from a personal relationship with Elvis? At least I can look at photographs and films of Elvis and listen to his voice; I can objectively and scientifically prove that he existed, view artifacts that he owned or created, read things that he wrote, and talk to people who knew him when he was alive. From this perspective, a personal relationship with him is by far the more rational one.
8. It’s not fundamentally different from any other mythology. Powerful supernatural being creates world, invents humans, controls nature, lays down rules, arbitrarily disregards own rules, punishes humans for breaking rules, becomes irate at insufficient sycophancy, condemns bad sycophants in heinous ways, rewards good ones in this life or the next or both. Some of the finer details may change, but the basic story arc is more or less the same across the board. Given the overwhelming similarities and the fact that they all have precisely the same amount of evidence to support their truth – which is to say none – it is unclear to me why any one of them can claim to be more legitimate than any other.
9. Explain the holocaust. Go ahead, I’ll wait.
10. Take a look around. Imagine how great the world would be if an omnipotent and omnibenevolent god had made it so that people were kind to each other and behaved responsibly. No one would starve; children wouldn’t get raped or orphaned by war; animals wouldn’t get tortured for sport; natural resources wouldn’t be destroyed and depleted; no one would be homeless or exploited or otherwise suffer at the hands of fellow humans. Creating a world where your children can be happy and fulfilled, where they will never suffer or cause suffering, would be as effortless to such an entity as breathing, and would be the most loving gift any parent could bestow. The god of Christianity, on the other hand, decided to pack humans chock full of selfishness and bad intentions and then stand back and watch thousands years of war, violence, and other mischief unfold while simultaneously reserving his ability to intervene to occasional appearances on toast. Well, okay, in fairness sometimes he appears in mold too.
3 Likes 1 Share
|Re: 10 More Reasons Christianity Makes Zero Sense by Emmytes(m): 3:00pm On Jan 26, 2018|
|Re: 10 More Reasons Christianity Makes Zero Sense by hopefulLandlord: 3:01pm On Jan 26, 2018|
Hell fire awaits you
|Re: 10 More Reasons Christianity Makes Zero Sense by Emmytes(m): 3:07pm On Jan 26, 2018|
Oh I'm scared shitless
Sky daddy please forgive me
|Re: 10 More Reasons Christianity Makes Zero Sense by Tallesty1(m): 3:18pm On Jan 26, 2018|
Christianity makes sense to those it makes sense to. Let them be.
|Re: 10 More Reasons Christianity Makes Zero Sense by Originakalokalo(m): 3:55pm On Jan 26, 2018|
The Bible says:
The gospel is a stumbling block to the Jews,
(because they had a path before which is Mosaic Law, hence a new faith is a STUMBLING BLOCK)
and foolishness to the Greek ( because they are thinkers. It doesn't make sense)
The Bible says also:
The gospel is foolishness to those that will perish.
To we that are saved, it is the power and the wisdom of God.
The gospel is the wisdom of God, not of man.
|Re: 10 More Reasons Christianity Makes Zero Sense by Emmytes(m): 4:19pm On Jan 26, 2018|
Your gods wisdom is my common sense
|Re: 10 More Reasons Christianity Makes Zero Sense by Originakalokalo(m): 5:28pm On Jan 26, 2018|
You are a good match indeed.
|Re: 10 More Reasons Christianity Makes Zero Sense by frank317: 5:59pm On Jan 26, 2018|
Lol... thats a nice one. I like the quote. Why? Its the fvcking truth!!!
|Re: 10 More Reasons Christianity Makes Zero Sense by hopefulLandlord: 6:11pm On Jan 26, 2018|
Emmytes:That's an insult to your common sense
1 Like 1 Share
|Re: 10 More Reasons Christianity Makes Zero Sense by Originakalokalo(m): 6:57pm On Jan 26, 2018|
Who is Yaweh?
He created the heavens and the Earth. The sun which nobody can behold.
He is sitted on a throne between Cherubims.
Cherubims, Dreadful.. A cherub has four faces. That of an ox, eagle, man and Lion.
They serve him that is sitted on the throne.
Seraphim's worship him. They have six wings. Two to fly, two to cover their bodies,
and two to cover their feet whenever they approach the Throne of God.
Who is Yaweh?
He killed all the first born of Israel after warning them.
He parted the red Sea and destroyed his enemies in it.
In one night, his Angel destroyed over a hundred thousand enemies.
He destroyed thousands of the children of Israel because they committed adultery.
He destroyed a whole generation in the wilderness for unbelieve.
So that He can overlook our sins and not destroy us all,
He sent his son JESUS to plead with his blood for man.
Now, there is plenty of Grace.
A guy said Yaweh's wisdom, in it's entirety,
Is his common sense.
That guy is a good match for Yaweh.
People blaspheme on nairaland. Then God hardened their hearts.
Just like Pharaoh.
and when God hardened someone's heart,
It is to ensure that there will be know repentance from them,
So that they won't escape his wrath.
|Re: 10 More Reasons Christianity Makes Zero Sense by Emmytes(m): 7:45pm On Jan 26, 2018|
If you believe what you just typed, why cant you believe that the tortoise has patterns in his shell because he fell from heaven and shattered it?
|Re: 10 More Reasons Christianity Makes Zero Sense by Emmytes(m): 7:47pm On Jan 26, 2018|
So basically God hardens the sinners heart but still expects them to repent, believe in him and be saved?
Does that even make sense to you?
1 Like 1 Share
|Re: 10 More Reasons Christianity Makes Zero Sense by bloodofthelamb(m): 9:31pm On Jan 26, 2018|
|Re: 10 More Reasons Christianity Makes Zero Sense by Originakalokalo(m): 9:41pm On Jan 26, 2018|
If a sinner has been warned severally,
And he refused to yield,
And blaspheme God and his Throne with highly derogatory words,
He may decide to harden his heart.
He is God.
I hope yours and others on this thread won't be like that.
Remember pharaoh. He was warned. He tackled God with fake miracles.
Until he couldn't anymore.
Then, his heart was hardened.
|Re: 10 More Reasons Christianity Makes Zero Sense by bloodofthelamb(m): 9:42pm On Jan 26, 2018|
Emmytes:Satan is really driving you fast to destruction... Don't let him!
4 Likes 1 Share
|Re: 10 More Reasons Christianity Makes Zero Sense by Edelweiss44: 10:21pm On Jan 26, 2018|
You sound so proud of your intelligence. But let me say a few things and leave you with a few video clips of people who have been in your shoes but died and miraculously came back to life after having a little glimpse of life after death. All of these people were either atheists like you or unbelievers. The moment they came back from death, they all changed and became born-again. You may want to keep digging up 1000 reasons why God does not exist or why Jesus is not the way, but i can assure you that the moment you step out of your body in death, everything changes. You will suddenly realise the vanity of human philosophy when it comes to the salvation of humans after Jesus Christ has already made a way and showed us the way in the word of God.
The last clip was a pastor who died in 2001. He was in the mortuary for 3 days before he was taken by his wife to Reinhard Bonnke's crusade in Onitsha where he came back to life during the crusade while he was being prayed for. If you doubt, the records are there. He was confirmed dead at Umezuruike Hospital in Owerri. You can lunch your own investigation, trace the hospital where he was confirmed dead, trace the mortuary where he was kept for 3days and trace the people who worked in that mortuary to confirm if the story is true or false, then afterwards come here with your proofs to dispute the story.
|Re: 10 More Reasons Christianity Makes Zero Sense by Omudia11: 5:58am On Jan 27, 2018|
You left Christianity. Fine.
Is anyone threatening your Life? No!
Why then do you open threads upon threads talking about a fictional character? Na wa o!
|Re: 10 More Reasons Christianity Makes Zero Sense by Omudia11: 6:01am On Jan 27, 2018|
Good question. We Christians don't believe in that warped tortoise ideology but do you see us see opening threads upon threads and losing sleep over the tortoise story?
You need help.
|Re: 10 More Reasons Christianity Makes Zero Sense by Nobody: 7:34am On Jan 27, 2018|
It takes personal conviction to believe and understand these things. Truly, if we sit down and think about this whole stuff, one may be confused, especially in the absence of the holy spirit. We have all had our down moments, but I have experienced the goodness of God in ways beyond human comprehension.
|Re: 10 More Reasons Christianity Makes Zero Sense by hopefulLandlord: 7:46am On Jan 27, 2018|
Miss Candy, what exactly does the "Holy Spirit" do for Christians?
|Re: 10 More Reasons Christianity Makes Zero Sense by Tozara(m): 8:08am On Jan 27, 2018|
candy:Atheist: How do you know what you believe is the truth?
Christian: Because I have faith! Because I believe!
Muslim: Because I have faith! Because I believe!
Jew: Because I have faith! Because I believe!
Atheist: So your belief is the reason for your belief? Do you know how circular that is? You believe it is true because you believe? If faith is the only thing that matters, then how do you show others that you're right and the rest are wrong?
Muslim/Christian/Jew: By screaming at them, "My belief is true because I believe, and you also have to believe to know how true it is!"
You see, without resorting to logic and rationality, people of faith can never prove the validity of their beliefs. How do you prove to a Muslim that your faith is right and his faith false, or vice versa, if all you have going for you is faith? All you can actually do is scream at each other, "What I believe is right and what you believe is wrong. How do I know? Because I believe!"
You can't use belief to prove what you believe. It's absurd and ridiculous.
|Re: 10 More Reasons Christianity Makes Zero Sense by Nobody: 8:10am On Jan 27, 2018|
hopefulLandlord:The Holy Spirit plays many roles in the lives of Christians, as evidenced in the bible.
In John 14, for example, Jesus says the Holy Spirit will comfort us when we're hurting. "I will not leave you as orphans," Jesus says (14:18), promising that the Spirit will bring us peace (14:27).
In John 16, Jesus refers to the Spirit as a "Counselor" who will guide us in our everyday lives. The Spirit works through our conscience to make us aware of sin in our lives as a counselor.
Romans 8 tells us the Spirit will help us stop sinning and do the things that please God. A verse later in that chapter also tells us that the Spirit helps us pray (8:26). We've all gone to God and said, "Lord, I'm just not sure how to pray or what to say." The Holy Spirit helps us in those times, and actually intercedes for us, saying the prayers for us.
Now, the Holy Spirit can't do all the work for us. We're still responsible to do our part—especially to consistently read our Bibles and pray, asking the Spirit to show us the truth and teach us how to live.
It's important to remember that the Spirit will not prompt us to do anything that goes against the Scripture. We need to make sure we're listening to the voice of the Holy Spirit.
Please visit www.Christianitytoday.com
|Re: 10 More Reasons Christianity Makes Zero Sense by Tozara(m): 8:30am On Jan 27, 2018|
Tallesty1:No, we can't let them be. We have to disabuse their minds of the dangerous nonsense inculcated into it. FACTS ARE SACRED, and letting people wallow in stupidity and incredible delusions has led to a million tragedies. Even you recognize the danger of peddling falsehood, as you said this in a thread yesterday:
So, we won't let them be. They'll go on to brainwash their children and wash off their critical faculties with Jesus bleach. Additional disaster.
|Re: 10 More Reasons Christianity Makes Zero Sense by MrMystrO(m): 8:33am On Jan 27, 2018|
|Re: 10 More Reasons Christianity Makes Zero Sense by Emmytes(m): 9:01am On Jan 27, 2018|
I'll keep losing sleep until people see the evil that is religion. My people must be liberated from the chains placed them by Europeans. Religion has done more harm than good.
|Re: 10 More Reasons Christianity Makes Zero Sense by Tallesty1(m): 9:09am On Jan 27, 2018|
Tozara:Can you highlight how I being a Christian affects the society negatively ?
|Re: 10 More Reasons Christianity Makes Zero Sense by Omudia11: 9:40am On Jan 27, 2018|
Liberator of the brethren.
It's the same fanatical belief of atheists that make them turn terrible dictators while holding any position of power. Somebody is exercising his right to freedom of worship but somehow it disrupts your life and you're uncomfortable by it.
One of the Beatles said they would be more famous than Jesus Christ whose fame would fade out in a couple years. Now the Beatles are dead and Christ is more famous than ever.
Good luck in your quest.
|Re: 10 More Reasons Christianity Makes Zero Sense by Omudia11: 9:48am On Jan 27, 2018|
They have no reasonable answer my dear.
These ones are militant atheists just like that Chinese leader who killed 78million people.
|Re: 10 More Reasons Christianity Makes Zero Sense by Omudia11: 9:57am On Jan 27, 2018|
Per the bolded. Is this what atheists have been reduced to?
Is it your business how someone chooses to raise their own kids? Are you that frustrated in Life? Now I see reasons why Buhari really has to go. So this is what Buhari's regime has done to people's thought processes?
In this day and age when people are thinking of achieving success in Life, you're only concerned about keeping parents from instilling Christian doctrines into their kids especially when those doctrines include Love, freedom of speech, right to life etc. You're truly finished.
|Re: 10 More Reasons Christianity Makes Zero Sense by CAPSLOCKED: 10:21am On Jan 27, 2018|
The Inanity Of Pastor E. A. Adeboye From Open Heaven 2009 - Extent Of Submission / Richest Men Of God In Nigeria-how To Be A Poor Man Of God / Lagos State Shut Down One Of Nigeria Biggest Churches And Shuts Down Mosques
|Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health |
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket
Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2020 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 321