Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,031 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:01 AM

What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? (46629 Views)

Meet Nwando Phina Okpaleke The Airpeace Pilot Who Landed An Airplane In Anambra / Everything You Should Know About The “black Box” Of An Airplane / See What Happens When An Airplane Runs Out Of Fuel Mid-Air (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? by beautydutch(f): 7:57pm On Jan 27, 2018
IamLEGEND1:
Thanks,man.

Apparently they'll be back mid-april.
I can't wait for it to return
Re: What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? by Malawian(m): 7:58pm On Jan 27, 2018
I think it is a united nations citizen, the U.N will issue it a U.N Passport (Very Rare), such kid has the liberty to go anywhere he/she wants. i have read about it before but i don't know if it still obtains.
Re: What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? by KillerBeauty(f): 7:59pm On Jan 27, 2018
moscobabs:
I wanted to ask this question last week but I remembered a topic was created sometimes ago and it makes front page but seems the op missed the topic or is a new nairalander

If a plane is travelling to UK when the baby is born the baby is definitely a UK citizen and if the baby comes to the world and he was born while coming from US to Nigeria then he is definitely a Nigeria born
angry
UK doesn't give citizenship by birth.
Re: What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? by beautydutch(f): 7:59pm On Jan 27, 2018
KillerBeauty:

It's April actually not February
that's quite far
Re: What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? by Emvico34: 8:00pm On Jan 27, 2018
LeeMason:
AIRmerica
yes Op this is the answer. Or Airfrica holy ghost fire
Re: What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? by kenevision(m): 8:01pm On Jan 27, 2018
Expl0rers:
the country that owns the plane.. the inside of the plane is the territory of the country that owns it.

OP, here lies your answer.

Any baby born on a flight assumes the citizenship of the country that owns the flight, as the flight is considered an extension of the country's territory.

So in this scenario, the child is a French citizen, haven been born inside Air France, irrespective of the geographical definition of the flight at the said time.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? by whitebeard(m): 8:03pm On Jan 27, 2018
IamLEGEND1:
It means the baby won't be a grounder.... he'll be a citizen of Skaikru.

abeg who knows when the 100 will be returning?
they said april cry I am busy watching Vikings for the time being.
Re: What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? by johakanbi3(m): 8:05pm On Jan 27, 2018
Airplane International City.Then Mention The Name Of The Country The Baby Is Travelling To.
Re: What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? by IamLEGEND1: 8:06pm On Jan 27, 2018
Remiblaze:
What show is that pls
The 100.
Re: What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? by charmingfrank(m): 8:10pm On Jan 27, 2018
The baby is a citizen of the country upon which the Airplane departed.
Re: What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? by ponti93(m): 8:10pm On Jan 27, 2018
timidapsin:
The baby will be named Airbender and any Airport is His or Her home
grin grin too much sense will not kill u broda
Re: What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? by Mydazz(m): 8:12pm On Jan 27, 2018
tenderlaw:
Op, citizenship is derived
1. By birth
a) Place of origin of your parents
b) Place of your birth eg US
2. By legal adoption
3. By naturalisation.
4. By marriage.

Your answer lies in number 1.

Thanks you, I think some people think countries still do the citizenship by place of birth, yes a few still does with stringent conditions attached.
Re: What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? by kabuski(m): 8:13pm On Jan 27, 2018
Aeroland
Re: What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? by omoyankee3(m): 8:13pm On Jan 27, 2018
atlantic ocean
Re: What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? by guiddoti: 8:16pm On Jan 27, 2018
If you asked me, I would say "Heavenly joy citizen"
Re: What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? by Ochuksbaba(m): 8:17pm On Jan 27, 2018
DAT child is probably from Edo state,,na dem sabi fly pass
Re: What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? by nduchucks: 8:17pm On Jan 27, 2018
This is a very interesting topic.

Born in international waters/airspace

Generally if the baby is born in international waters (or in the airspace above international waters), the child takes the citizenship of the mother. Pretty straightforward.

This follows in line with what is legally referred to as jus sanguinis (meaning right of blood - that you have the right to citizenship of the bloodline from which you originate).

Born in the airspace of another country

Another consideration is what happens if the baby is born in the airspace of another country. Here’s where jus soli (meaning right of soil) comes into play. The US currently extends an offer of citizenship to any child born in the country.

Not all countries do this, so don’t go traveling to North Korea in your third trimester just to attain that oh-so-coveted North Korean citizenship for your unborn child.

Some countries claim to observe jus soli with modifications: the UK requires that one of the parents be “legally settled” in the UK; other’s don’t require legal citizenship or residency per se, but do require a parent to have lived in the country for some period of time. Thailand requires that the parents have legally lived in Thailand for at least 5 years (legally) for jus soli to be valid for a child.

In some 30-40 countries, you can claim citizenship for being born in the country's airspace. But check before you’re born there because they might not offer it (or it might have other legal hurdles to clear before you can get it). cheesy

If you’re curious (for totally academic purposes and not to plan some elaborate sociopathic con involving a human life you’ll bring into this world, of course), you might find the history and practice of birthright citizenship very interesting

Disclosure:The above culled from various inet sources

1 Like

Re: What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? by Vannlex(m): 8:18pm On Jan 27, 2018
Sanctecosma:

Even when you repeated ur comment, you still didn't come out clean.
sorry abt dat! undecided
Sanctecosma:

Even when you repeated ur comment, you still didn't come out clean.
sorry abt dat!
Re: What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? by Topmaike007(m): 8:21pm On Jan 27, 2018
the baby is an aeroplanian,from aeroplane country..

1 Like

Re: What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? by suwalee(f): 8:21pm On Jan 27, 2018
priiince:
Citizenship laws differ depending on the country. For example, in the UK, citizenship is not automatically conferred to those born in Britain.

In the United States, even a child born in the country's waters or airspace is a U.S. citizen by birth in accordance with the principle of jus soli (right of the soil) -- that's the right of anyone born in the territory of a state to nationality or citizenship.

Some babies born in an airplane enroute wherever even get free flights for life.
any child born on an airplane would be given Citizenship of which country the airplane is registered under my two sense I recently read bout it

1 Like

Re: What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? by suwalee(f): 8:23pm On Jan 27, 2018
[quote author=DrObum post=64563160]I used to think it's the country in which the airline is registered.[/quotel] sir u are correct

1 Like

Re: What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? by mangood74: 8:30pm On Jan 27, 2018
THE CITIZENS OF THE COUNTRY WHEN THEY ARE STILL ON TH,E AIR . IF NA BETWEEN AFGHANISTAN AND SOMALIA UN GO CHOOSE ONE

Re: What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? by PDPGuy: 8:32pm On Jan 27, 2018
The question depends on whether the child is born over international waters, or over the airspace of a country. Generally, international (and some national laws) provide that:

If born in an airplane over a jus soli country, then the child becomes a citizen of that country. For instance, if a Nigerian woman gives birth in an airplane within U.S. airspace, her child automatically becomes a U.S. citizen because the US confers jus soli or birth-right citizenship.

If born over the airspace of a jus sanguinis country, the Nigerian woman's child will still be deemed to possess only Nigerian citizenship (assuming that the baby's father is also a Nigerian citizen).

Lastly, if the child is born over international waters, the child would be deemed as having the same citizenship as the parents.

Now, assuming that an American woman gave birth to a child over Nigerian airspace (and the child's father does not possess Nigerian citizenship), such a child DOES NOT become a Nigerian citizen because Nigerian practices jus sanguinis citizenship i.e. citizenship via blood. So, the child is still only a U.S. citizen.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? by babony1: 8:33pm On Jan 27, 2018
ychris:
Since she was on Air France flight from Paris to New York...

Maybe Pamerica??
I think he/she should be pamericana, lol.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? by teniboss(m): 8:33pm On Jan 27, 2018
Sky people....How abt that op?
Re: What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? by Ndolarr: 8:34pm On Jan 27, 2018
But what happens when the plane is heading to Germany from Abuja but makes an emergency landing in Daura! ? Just asking
Re: What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? by pek(m): 8:34pm On Jan 27, 2018
moscobabs:
I wanted to ask this question last week but I remembered a topic was created sometimes ago and it makes front page but seems the op missed the topic or is a new nairalander

If a plane is travelling to UK when the baby is born the baby is definitely a UK citizen and if the baby comes to the world and he was born while coming from US to Nigeria then he is definitely a Nigeria born
angry
sometime ago not sometimes ago

1 Like

Re: What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? by hatedisplace: 8:45pm On Jan 27, 2018
emmie14:
Hi. Is illegal to admit a 9months pregnant woman on board
a woman can deliver earlier than 9 months
Re: What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? by madgoat(m): 8:48pm On Jan 27, 2018
Politiculator:
The country where the plane was currently located before the child was born.
If it was over the Atlantic ocean, then the child belongs to the Marine spirit. If it is over India, the child is an Indian and may likely worship cows.
If it is over Alqaeda, then the child is a terrorist.
If it is over Edo, then the child is not a child but your ancestor who is flying with the plane.

In your mind you feel you have said something sensible abi? Nonsense

1 Like

Re: What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? by neolboy(m): 8:49pm On Jan 27, 2018
IamLEGEND1:
Thanks,man.
Apparently they'll be back mid-april.

April 24 precisely. check Google for update
Re: What Is The Citizenship Of A Baby Born On An Airplane? by simkard: 8:49pm On Jan 27, 2018
joeaz58:
It is not very common for babies to be born while flying at 36,000 feet, but when it does happen it is generally a newsworthy event for a plane to land with one more passenger than it had when it took off. This week, a mom gave birth to a healthy baby on an Air France flight from Paris to New York before they could reach the ground at JFK. Luckily, there was a doctor on board to manage the situation until they could get the mama and baby some on-the-ground medical attention, and in this case, everything seems to have worked out just fine.

A common question that comes up when this happens (in addition to does the baby get free flights?) is what citizenship is a baby given when they are born on an airplane?

there is demarcation of countries even in the space.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Lastma Officer At Ikeja Axis Dancing While Executing His Duty Excellently / Heartbreaking Burial Poster Of Couple Who Died In Accident In Benin Expressway(p / About our trip to the Lekki Conservation Center, Lekki.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.