Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,352 members, 7,822,667 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:49 PM

I'm New: - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / I'm New: (1054 Views)

nadine - Hi, I'm new / Scorpio - I'm New / natasha - I'm new to this forum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I'm New: by gangstaboo(f): 7:20am On Apr 16, 2010
I'm a Black 19 yo female dating an Igbo man.  Dating a Nigerian man has definitely been an adventure lol, but shit a fun one as well.  Our cultures are totally different and i didn't realize how dissimiliar African American and simply African culture truly was until I began dating him. 

Just checking in and saying hi though lol. 

Wassup nairaland smiley
Re: I'm New: by gangstaboo(f): 7:21am On Apr 16, 2010
and just realized I can't cuss up here lol.
Re: I'm New: by Nobody: 7:27am On Apr 16, 2010
Welcome aboard!

As for your Igbo guy, he's like any other black man. Treat him well, respect him, and he'll never be able to do too much for you.

If you delve back into your background, from your grandparents time, you'll find your AA background isn't as dissimilar to Nigerian culture as you may think.
Re: I'm New: by gangstaboo(f): 7:34am On Apr 16, 2010
Hey Thanks Siena!! tongue

I'll try but everything seems different but that's what makes it fun in my mind! Like if I speak slang or w'e he wont understand or refer to some type of food, silly things like that.

Some of these topics have me cracking up though. lawl. Seems like this is going to be an interesting place.
Re: I'm New: by Mhismole(f): 7:44am On Apr 16, 2010
Lol hope you have as much fun as you expect. smiley

If you need advice about your man's culture, you cud ask moi. Im igbo too. wink
Re: I'm New: by gangstaboo(f): 7:53am On Apr 16, 2010
Lol me too girl

And aiight, i do have a few questions, so i'll definitely hit u up asking them sometime smiley
Re: I'm New: by gangstaboo(f): 7:58am On Apr 16, 2010
Btw does anyone know how I can change my profile and everything, I noticed if you click on someone's name sometimes some info comes up
Re: I'm New: by Mhismole(f): 8:02am On Apr 16, 2010
^^^

By the left side of your profile u'l see a bold "modify settings". underneath it are a number of options, you should click forum profile information. The modify your settings to your hearts content.
Re: I'm New: by gangstaboo(f): 8:09am On Apr 16, 2010
TYY!!

Btw you said you are Igbo, can you speak the language too? I'm trying to learn it and it is soo hard :\
especially the high, mid, low tones distinction lol.
Re: I'm New: by Mhismole(f): 8:13am On Apr 16, 2010
Yup! but if you want to learn the tones and all, you have to actually hear it. maybe you should ask your bf to teach you first.
Re: I'm New: by gangstaboo(f): 8:21am On Apr 16, 2010
I did and it doesn't make any sense plus he never slows down to actually pronounce it, he's not that good of a teacher lol.

I always feel tongue tied when trying to repeat what he's saying, like a damnn sock is stuck in my mouth. Smdh. I guess I'll learn in like 10 yrs haha.

It's funny when he speaks it though cos we'll be in a movie theater or something and he's the only one talking all loud and shyt in a quiet place, I give him a death glare and he just laughs. Men lol!!
Re: I'm New: by cantell(m): 8:22am On Apr 16, 2010
@Poster,
This is where i come in. What do you want to know - i mean in Igbo. I'm an Igbo guy and i can speak & write the language very well.
Wouldn't mind helping out a couple of my mama-say-i-be-Igbo(no offense meant)lol. its just the term we use for igbos that do not speak the language.
Re: I'm New: by gangstaboo(f): 8:29am On Apr 16, 2010
Lol I like that-My mama say i be Igo, shyt that's definitely me, I'm trying though!

Hmm, i guess the first would be the vowels (aeiou) how do I sound those out smiley
and basic stuff like hello, how are you, wassup aha,
Re: I'm New: by daduke2k(m): 10:57am On Apr 16, 2010
Hello=pronounced kèdú. How are u?= pronounced kèdú kà ì mèèrè?. Wassum= no diff frm d two above. Comprende?
Re: I'm New: by gangstaboo(f): 5:10pm On Apr 16, 2010
entiendo gracias. smiley

So I now know how to say hello lol.
Re: I'm New: by omega25red(m): 5:20pm On Apr 16, 2010
welcome to the board hope you stay and play wif us
Re: I'm New: by daduke2k(m): 5:50pm On Apr 16, 2010
gangstaboo:

entiendo gracias. smiley

So I now know how to say hello lol.
yeah, WELCOME TO GYPSY LAND. . . .
Re: I'm New: by gangstaboo(f): 7:07pm On Apr 16, 2010
ayoo thx :p

im sure ima have fun up here
Re: I'm New: by dayokanu(m): 7:38pm On Apr 16, 2010
Kedu is pronounce- Kay-doo.

Nairaland can be fun and crazy as well so tread softly. If you are light hearted and dont take things to heart, You would have a lot of fun
Re: I'm New: by chic2pimp(m): 10:36pm On Apr 16, 2010
dayokanu:

Kedu is pronounce- Kay-doo.

Nairaland can be fun and crazy as well so tread softly. If you are light hearted and dont take things to heart, You would have a lot of
fun
Take this piece of advice. Especially the 'Don't Take Things To Heart' Part wink
Re: I'm New: by daduke2k(m): 11:36pm On Apr 16, 2010
It wil surely help u.
Re: I'm New: by daduke2k(m): 11:37pm On Apr 16, 2010
It wil surely help u. Bt dnt harden ur heart like 'mama-g'.
Re: I'm New: by gangstaboo(f): 12:46am On Apr 17, 2010
Nah, i dun take nada to heart tongue especially things over the net lol

but who is 'mama g'?

tongue
Re: I'm New: by master2(m): 2:20pm On Apr 17, 2010
gangstaboo:

but who is 'mama g'?

tongue
Re: I'm New: by master2(m): 2:35pm On Apr 17, 2010
gangstaboo:

but who is 'mama g'?

tongue
Mama-g: One cra.zy personality in the house.
Re: I'm New: by gangstaboo(f): 6:27pm On Apr 17, 2010
ahhh aiight

thx master tongue
Re: I'm New: by webbjamie(m): 7:06am On Apr 18, 2010
Gangstaboo,u kinda ubiquitious on dis forum n u r pretty new.nice to hav u here tho.cheerz.
Re: I'm New: by gangstaboo(f): 7:00pm On Apr 18, 2010
I like to look through each topic I'm interested in and post something if I feel like I have something to say, plus it's a good distraction from studying

*shrugs* my bad if you tired of seeing my name

Thx for the welcome and cheers to you too
Re: I'm New: by master2(m): 6:36am On Apr 19, 2010
@gang
u r welcome. With NL u can't have a dull moment but note some Nlanders have a big mouth/fingers 4 insulting and not contributing
meaningfully. Anyway, na place 2 catch fun,contribute and get (sometyms learn) opinion from different mindsets.
Re: I'm New: by Ogaga4Luv(m): 12:30pm On Apr 19, 2010
[size=13pt]gangstaboo you're welcome to Nairaland. . . .we are too pleased and proud to have you in the house!! grin grin~~ once again , welcome. . . . . wink[/size]

(1) (Reply)

What Our Rulers Really Doing In Aso Rock Villa?watching Cartoon Network,or Eatin / The New Nairaland Search Engine Doesnt Help / Rate His Looks From 1 To 10:)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.