Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,223 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:40 AM

BLOOD DONATION;A MUST FOR EXPECTANT FATHERS AT GENERAL HOSPITALS? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / BLOOD DONATION;A MUST FOR EXPECTANT FATHERS AT GENERAL HOSPITALS? (1568 Views)

How Infidelity Landed Some Nigerian Men And Women In Hospitals / Woman Who Cooks With Menstrual Blood Says "No Regrets" / Expectant Couple Crushed To Death After Waiting For 13years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

BLOOD DONATION;A MUST FOR EXPECTANT FATHERS AT GENERAL HOSPITALS? by agborodun: 9:09am On Apr 16, 2010
I have been hearing this for a long time that it is a must for men to donate blood whenever their wives want to deliver at general hospitals.
I never belief until i follow one of my friends to a general hospital at Ifako Ijaye Local Government,Lagos and he was told in my presence that he has to, as a matter of must, donate blood before they can take delivery of his baby.
This, to me, is a serious matter that must be address here on Nairaland.
Re: BLOOD DONATION;A MUST FOR EXPECTANT FATHERS AT GENERAL HOSPITALS? by Odunnu: 9:11am On Apr 16, 2010
Never heard of thz b4.Wht reason(s) did they gv?
Re: BLOOD DONATION;A MUST FOR EXPECTANT FATHERS AT GENERAL HOSPITALS? by agborodun: 9:16am On Apr 16, 2010
I don't know their reason but that is the truth. This is verifiable.
I was there live and it was confirmed at the hospital.
Re: BLOOD DONATION;A MUST FOR EXPECTANT FATHERS AT GENERAL HOSPITALS? by Odunnu: 10:18am On Apr 16, 2010
Emm,u shd hv askd nah.Even if na d nurse,u shd hv strtd a discussion wt d aim of knwin/gettin info.I'l suggest u go back 2dat hospital and get ds info asap!
Re: BLOOD DONATION;A MUST FOR EXPECTANT FATHERS AT GENERAL HOSPITALS? by Odunnu: 10:20am On Apr 16, 2010
Emm,u shd hv askd nah.Even if na d nurse,u shd hv strtd a discussion wt d aim of knwin/gettin info.I'l suggest u go back 2dat hospital and get ds info asap!
Re: BLOOD DONATION;A MUST FOR EXPECTANT FATHERS AT GENERAL HOSPITALS? by Nobody: 12:58pm On Apr 16, 2010
it should be voluntarily, wat if the father is shortage of blood or he's not in the town
Re: BLOOD DONATION;A MUST FOR EXPECTANT FATHERS AT GENERAL HOSPITALS? by jumie(f): 3:30pm On Apr 16, 2010
@ Poster,

This is very true in Nigerian Public hospitals mostly General hospitals, they request the husband/father of the child to donate blood. This they say is a precautionary measure in case the wife may need blood transfusion following delivery.

I have worked in the haematology dept. of one of these General hospitals so I know what I am saying. The blood the husband donates is not necessarily used for the wife (they store the blood for future use) and then use the one that has been there a longer period (donated by someone unknown). Also, in some cases their blood groups do not match and so someone else's blood will have to be used.

If the husband cannot donate blood, someone else can do so on his behalf. But as a general rule, there has to be a continuous supply of blood to the blood bank for emergency purposes so these people (expectant fathers) are told to donate.
Re: BLOOD DONATION;A MUST FOR EXPECTANT FATHERS AT GENERAL HOSPITALS? by hazureal(f): 5:25pm On Apr 16, 2010
Jumie's absolutely right. I thot it was a joke when they said my husband would donate blood at Ikeja General hospital. We started askin questions and we were made to realise it's 'for our own good'. my delivery turned out normal and i didnt need any transfusion, but we dont regret da blood donation thing cos their services are good there and almost free.
Re: BLOOD DONATION;A MUST FOR EXPECTANT FATHERS AT GENERAL HOSPITALS? by Outstrip(f): 7:17pm On Apr 16, 2010
So you are basically being forced to donate blood
Re: BLOOD DONATION;A MUST FOR EXPECTANT FATHERS AT GENERAL HOSPITALS? by solajacobs(m): 1:23pm On Apr 17, 2010
Why on earth should they be forcing people to donate blood?
Naija na wah o,
Moderator, i think this topic should go to the home page to enable people to make contributions about this maybe this could bring about change in our country,
Re: BLOOD DONATION;A MUST FOR EXPECTANT FATHERS AT GENERAL HOSPITALS? by OAM4J: 4:28am On Apr 18, 2010
I encourage people to donate blood, but should be voluntary not by compulsion or by blackmail.

this act in the so called general hospitals is nothing but blackmail.
Re: BLOOD DONATION;A MUST FOR EXPECTANT FATHERS AT GENERAL HOSPITALS? by Sissy3(f): 4:36am On Apr 18, 2010
oh well knowing how inadequately equipped many of our hospitals are in emergency delivery, it is no surprising they would do such just incase cause sometimes sh*** happens. i'd involuntary donate blood than to hear stories at that dire moment
Re: BLOOD DONATION;A MUST FOR EXPECTANT FATHERS AT GENERAL HOSPITALS? by Outstrip(f): 4:38am On Apr 18, 2010
~Sissy~:

oh well knowing how inadequately equipped many of our hospitals are in emergency delivery, it is no surprising they would do such just incase cause sometimes sh*** happens. i'd involuntary donate blood than to hear stories at that dire moment

Then they should do it the proper way. Organize a blood drive or pay people to donate if you do not come up with enough supply. This method is basically blackmail. Nobody in their right mind will say no when their loved ones are being left with these people.
Re: BLOOD DONATION;A MUST FOR EXPECTANT FATHERS AT GENERAL HOSPITALS? by Sissy3(f): 4:43am On Apr 18, 2010
we are still working hard in that 'organizational skill department', but for now remember na naija we dey . . . . . . .
Re: BLOOD DONATION;A MUST FOR EXPECTANT FATHERS AT GENERAL HOSPITALS? by Osama10(m): 5:43am On Apr 18, 2010
Useless country.
Re: BLOOD DONATION;A MUST FOR EXPECTANT FATHERS AT GENERAL HOSPITALS? by spoilt(f): 6:49am On Apr 18, 2010
The kind of things you hear coming out of Nigeria you cannot make up! shocked

Blood donation should be voluntary. It is a personal decision that should not be forced on anyone bcause his wife is in labor. Its an honorable thing to do but cannot be made mandatory .Did they even mention it would be a requirement during her antenatal classes? Or do they just spring it on you when she's already contracting and dilating and they know you dont have a choice? Nigeria!!!! What a country!!
Re: BLOOD DONATION;A MUST FOR EXPECTANT FATHERS AT GENERAL HOSPITALS? by hazureal(f): 10:29am On Apr 18, 2010
It's a requirement for ante-natal registration. And seriously, dat registration is something else(takes like 2months). I agree, blood donation should be voluntary. When u make da donation beforehand and da woman needs blood transfusion during delivery, u pay less dan wat u'll pay if she aint a booked patient(not registered), and she needs blood transfusion during delivery. In essence, u pay for da blood u 'used' if u're not booked and u delivered there.
Re: BLOOD DONATION;A MUST FOR EXPECTANT FATHERS AT GENERAL HOSPITALS? by solajacobs(m): 1:24pm On Apr 18, 2010
It should be voluntary and not a must as it is presently, what if the husband himself is suffering and he himself need blood?
Would they still go ahead and collect his blood?

(1) (Reply)

Signs That He/she Is Your Life Partner / Miss Starlet Pageant Competition 2015 Photos, Held In Federal Poly Oko / She Is Friends With My Husband, Am I Wrong For Requesting Her Hubby's Friendship

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.