Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,089 members, 7,825,434 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 02:29 PM

Funny Nigerian Divorce cases - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Funny Nigerian Divorce cases (16627 Views)

"My Husband Uses ‘Aboniki’ Balm As Lubricant" – Woman Files For Divorce / Reasons Why There Were Fewer Divorce Cases Those Days / Ten Worst Divorce Cases Ever (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Funny Nigerian Divorce cases by 0hsisi: 12:18pm On Apr 22, 2010
crown22:

A tailor, Kamoru Akanji, on Tuesday had his 16-year-old marriage to a trader, Sakirat Akanji, dissolved by an Ibadan Grade C Customary Court on the grounds of infidelity and waywardness, the News Agency of Nigeria reports.

In his divorce plea, Akanji told the court that his wife was promiscuous and untrustworthy.

He alleged that Sakirat would leave home for weeks, abandoning their five children, without telling anyone about her whereabouts.

Akanji also told the court that he feared for his life, and to avoid being harmed, had sought the divorce.

Though Sakirat agreed to the divorce, she denied all the allegations levelled against her.

She also accused Akanji of not adequately providing financially for the family.

Sakirat said that initially, the upkeep money he gave her and the children was paltry, saying that at a point, he stopped completely.

The President of the Customary Court, Mr. Olayinka Owoade, dissolved the marriage and ordered them to bring their children to the court on April 26 for the determination of their custody.

maybe the man's 'this thing' wasn't working
He pushed her to it.
I'm sure the woman had managed and managed ,resisted and resisted until she could neither manage nor resist no more and was forced to play away matches grin
Re: Funny Nigerian Divorce cases by cantell(m): 1:31pm On Apr 22, 2010
0hsisi:

He pushed her to it.
I'm sure the woman had managed and managed ,resisted and resisted until she could neither manage nor resist no more and was forced to play away matches grin
Akuko! Thats the excuse every promiscous woman gives, when she's unfaithful. I was pushed into it. Story.
Ohsisi, i'm still waiting for that central Igbo translation of yours.
So long.
Re: Funny Nigerian Divorce cases by snowdrops(m): 7:25pm On Apr 22, 2010
sley4life:

Na so married couples dey rush 2 court 4 divorce
Yes o. And there are more of these if you attend court hearings.
Re: Funny Nigerian Divorce cases by rubaslipa: 8:23am On Apr 23, 2010
Ohsisi o!, you spoke well. Rastamann +1. I remember when women in Yorubaland hardly got divorced. First it started happening in Lagos, then it spread to smaller towns. What has caused this? Have Yoruba men suddenly started behaving worse? Have Yorubas suddenly abolished dowry or bride price? Are Igbo men that much better husbands than Yoruba men (I've heard that they are a bit better). No,  the real reason is increasing women's education, employment and organisation has opened their eyes, and they realise that sometimes it's better to be alone than have someone destroying your life, and making you unhappy every day. The more it happens, the more the stigma disappears. It was the stigma that was preventing desperate women from divorcing. It will also spread in Igboland. Not many women leave their husbands easily - they know very well that they will be poorer, and that the chances of remarriage are not too good in our society. Nobody wants to raise their children alone, and men don't like taking on other men's kids.

Any progressive change in 9ja society, backwards people start to cry 'one of those western vices introduced into mother africa'. In the case of marriage, you will notice that it is mostly men that will say that 'you shouldn't divorce, no matter what' or 'divorce should not be an option'. You are closed-eyed people, who have never noticed what many women go through even in an average marriage in Naija. Are you even adults? Not many women divorce just because of money - it's often that the man is spending money on something/someone else. Often women stay with a man, even though they meet his outside children. Most women don't divorce the first time their husband is drunk, or the first time he beats them. And there is a lot of other bad behaviour that can wear you down over years.

pres-elect: 'in the absence of wife battery, and perhaps infidelity, *any other thing can be tolerated*'. Do you know how ridiculous this statement is? So in the quoted case of the woman who only saw her husband twice a year, she should put up with it? Why? Few men or women are even nearly perfect, but ask yourself these questions:

on average,
* who behaves worse in a marriage, men or women?
* who chops something outside their marriage more often, men or women?
* in olden days, who had the main power to divorce, men or women?
* who is expected to forgive their spouse's bad behaviour most often, men or women?
* who can use money and/or authority as a weapon in a relationship most often, men or women?

now,
* who thinks more about the children, men or women?
* who loses more from divorce, men or women?
* who gets labelled 'divorcee' and takes the stigma, men or women?
* who is usually advised to resume their marriage, men or women?
* is the word 'promiscuous' usually applied to men or women?

Some of you commenters are such hypocrites - as men, you would never put up with bad treatment yourselves. Yeah, I mean you, cantell, munky etc. Do more women leave their husbands because of somebody outside, or do more men do it? I'm happy for those whose parents stayed together through thick and thin, but some people's situation is different, and they are better off out of it. Sometimes it is directly better for the children to live in a happy house with one parent rather than a tragic house with both parents. Don't use the kids as blackmail to keep a rotten marriage together.

The past was not a paradise, many people were just forced to live in misery. What you 'traditionalist' guys really mean is 'you women should shut up and put up with it'. Luckily, we are slowly leaving those days behind, and we ain't going back.
Re: Funny Nigerian Divorce cases by Sagamite(m): 8:31pm On Apr 23, 2010
0hsisi:

He pushed her to it.

So it is perfectly fine when her 'this thing' sags and her 'that thing' turn wobbly, he managed and managed, resisted and resisted until he could neither manage nor resist no more and was forced to replace with fresh young pair and smooth one?

The lame excuses women give and now scream blue murder when the same is done to them. undecided
Re: Funny Nigerian Divorce cases by AloyEmeka5: 11:54pm On Apr 23, 2010
Sagamite:

[b]So it is perfectly fine when her 'this thing' sags and her 'that thing' turn wobbly, he managed and managed, resisted and resisted until he could neither manage nor resist no more and was forced to replace with fresh young pair and smooth one?[/b]

The lame excuses women give and now scream blue murder when the same is done to them.  undecided

He can always pay for her plastic surgery and rebuild the sagged things na.  tongue tongue tongue tongue
Re: Funny Nigerian Divorce cases by Sagamite(m): 11:57pm On Apr 23, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

He can always pay for her plastic surgery and rebuild the sagged things na.  tongue tongue tongue tongue

If you get money, why you go take decrepit jalopy go panel beater when you can order a new one at the same price from the factory.  lipsrsealed
Re: Funny Nigerian Divorce cases by AloyEmeka5: 12:06am On Apr 24, 2010
ruba_slipa:

Ohsisi o!, you spoke well. Rastamann +1. I remember when women in Yorubaland hardly got divorced. First it started happening in Lagos, then it spread to smaller towns. What has caused this? Have Yoruba men suddenly started behaving worse? Have Yorubas suddenly abolished dowry or bride price? Are Igbo men that much better husbands than Yoruba men (I've heard that they are a bit better). No,  the real reason is increasing women's education, employment and organisation has opened their eyes, and they realise that sometimes it's better to be alone than have someone destroying your life, and making you unhappy every day. The more it happens, the more the stigma disappears. It was the stigma that was preventing desperate women from divorcing. It will also spread in Igboland. Not many women leave their husbands easily - they know very well that they will be poorer, and that the chances of remarriage are not too good in our society. Nobody wants to raise their children alone, and men don't like taking on other men's kids.

How true is that when Igbo women are more educated than Yoruba women by a very wide margin?. Shouldn't the reverse be the case since Igbo women are the most educated in Nigeria?. You will also notice that divorce rate is lowest in the North. I think it has to do with religion because  Igbos  and Hausa/Fulanis are more attached to religion than Yorubas . It has nothing to do with independence because many cases I've read here are triggered more by poverty.

Any progressive change in 9ja society, backwards people start to cry 'one of those western vices introduced into mother africa'. In the case of marriage, you will notice that it is mostly men that will say that 'you shouldn't divorce, no matter what' or 'divorce should not be an option'. You are closed-eyed people, who have never noticed what many women go through even in an average marriage in Naija.

Divorce is not progressive change. I think its a retrogressive change[don't ask me why]. The woman who divorced her husband because of his tiny kini just made fun of  matrimony. If divorce is signs of progression, then we would have been many years ahead of many in civilization because Nigerian men have been in this divorce game many years before Nigerian women.
Re: Funny Nigerian Divorce cases by AloyEmeka5: 12:08am On Apr 24, 2010
Sagamite:

If you get money, why you go take decrepit jalopy go panel beater when you can order a new one at the same price from the factory.   lipsrsealed

Because the devil you know is better than the angel you don't know. panel beating her kini is as good as new. Many women today are refurbished, new ones no dey. Thats why Senator Yerima traveled all the way to Egypt to buy a wife direct from the manufacturer/dealer.
Re: Funny Nigerian Divorce cases by Sagamite(m): 12:22am On Apr 24, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

Because the devil you know is better than the angel you don't know. panel beating her kini is as good as new. Many women today are refurbished, new ones no dey. Thats why Senator Yerima traveled all the way to Egypt to buy a wife direct from the manufacturer/dealer.

You don kolo. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Funny Nigerian Divorce cases by cantell(m): 1:17pm On Apr 24, 2010
^^^Bros no be small. The guy needs to book for a ward in yaba psychiatric hospital.lol
Re: Funny Nigerian Divorce cases by 0hsisi: 2:51pm On Apr 24, 2010
ruba_slipa:

Ohsisi o!, you spoke well. Rastamann +1. I remember when women in Yorubaland hardly got divorced. First it started happening in Lagos, then it spread to smaller towns. What has caused this? Have Yoruba men suddenly started behaving worse? Have Yorubas suddenly abolished dowry or bride price? Are Igbo men that much better husbands than Yoruba men (I've heard that they are a bit better). No, the real reason is increasing women's education, employment and organisation has opened their eyes, and they realise that sometimes it's better to be alone than have someone destroying your life, and making you unhappy every day. The more it happens, the more the stigma disappears. It was the stigma that was preventing desperate women from divorcing. It will also spread in Igboland. Not many women leave their husbands easily - they know very well that they will be poorer, and that the chances of remarriage are not too good in our society. Nobody wants to raise their children alone, and men don't like taking on other men's kids.

Any progressive change in 9ja society, backwards people start to cry 'one of those western vices introduced into mother africa'. In the case of marriage, you will notice that it is mostly men that will say that 'you shouldn't divorce, no matter what' or 'divorce should not be an option'. You are closed-eyed people, who have never noticed what many women go through even in an average marriage in Naija. Are you even adults? Not many women divorce just because of money - it's often that the man is spending money on something/someone else. Often women stay with a man, even though they meet his outside children. Most women don't divorce the first time their husband is drunk, or the first time he beats them. And there is a lot of other bad behaviour that can wear you down over years.

pres-elect: 'in the absence of wife battery, and perhaps infidelity, *any other thing can be tolerated*'. Do you know how ridiculous this statement is? So in the quoted case of the woman who only saw her husband twice a year, she should put up with it? Why? Few men or women are even nearly perfect, but ask yourself these questions:

on average,
* who is expected to forgive their spouse's bad behaviour most often, men or women?
* who can use money and/or authority as a weapon in a relationship most often, men or women?

now,

Some of you commenters are such hypocrites - as men, you would never put up with bad treatment yourselves. Yeah, I mean you, cantell, munky etc. Do more women leave their husbands because of somebody outside, or do more men do it? I'm happy for those whose parents stayed together through thick and thin, but some people's situation is different, and they are better off out of it. Sometimes it is directly better for the children to live in a happy house with one parent rather than a tragic house with both parents. Don't use the kids as blackmail to keep a rotten marriage together.

The past was not a paradise, many people were just forced to live in misery. What you 'traditionalist' guys really mean is 'you women should shut up and put up with it'. Luckily, we are slowly leaving those days behind, and we ain't going back.

Gbam!
nothing to add or remove
Re: Funny Nigerian Divorce cases by 0hsisi: 3:07pm On Apr 24, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

How true is that when Igbo women are more educated than Yoruba women by a very wide margin?. Shouldn't the reverse be the case since Igbo women are the most educated in Nigeria?. You will also notice that divorce rate is lowest in the North. I think it has to do with religion because Igbos and Hausa/Fulanis are more attached to religion than Yorubas . It has nothing to do with independence because many cases I've read here are triggered more by poverty.

Divorce is not progressive change. I think its a retrogressive change[don't ask me why]. The woman who divorced her husband because of his tiny kini just made fun of matrimony. If divorce is signs of progression, then we would have been many years ahead of many in civilization because Nigerian men have been in this divorce game many years before Nigerian women.

Aloy you missed the entire point the poster made.
Yorubas generally speaking embraced western education earlier than any tribe in Nigeria,that is an indisputable fact.
and with that comes a sense of independence on the women.

Igbo women are very hardworking and industrous absolutely no doubt about that but the stigma of divorce in Igboland is worse than in Yorubaland.
It's not uncommon for a Yoruba woman who left a bad marriage to be quickly snatched up by another man even with 3 kids sef.
How common is that in Igboland?
Even a single,beautiful unmarried ,never married girl in Igboland with just one kid will have a hard time getting a spouse because they see her as tainted talk less of a woman who has been married to someone else.
Aloy,do you want to tell me you've never heard if family members advising a young man not to marry someone because someone had previously attempted to carry wine on her head.
I'm not talking of completed tradition wedding rites
I am talking of suitors that stopped after the "knocking on the door" phase.
That is enough to chase other prospective suitors away when they hear it since everyone will be wondering why the previous suitor "ran away".

You know I'm a proud Igbo woman anyday but the Igbo culture is hard on women when it comes to divorce and re-marriage.
And you know that when the woman walks out on the marriage,the kids are usually taken by the husband and his family
Which woman wants to leave her kids behind?
so they stay.
That is the singular reason we have very few divorce in Igboland
It's not because our men are super nice.

Of course I'm not saying again that all Yoruba women are this liberated.
Certainly not
But they are now used to a legal system that can even grant them custody of the kids plus child support enforced by law.
Igboland has a long way to go in this.
My family has been a victim of this so I speak from experience.
It was just recently that my aunt reunited with her kids after she was basically chased out of her matrimonial home without her 4 children and was not allowed contact.
Not even to take her box of clothes and wrappers or hug her kids.
Thank God the kids are now back with our family
Re: Funny Nigerian Divorce cases by chiozor: 6:16pm On Apr 24, 2010
why do we even marry? why not get a girl pregnant and pay her for the child upkeep until the child is old enough to look out for the father? i think that is the way is going these days.
marriage is totally destroyed, no thanks to Ohisi and co reasoning.
why for better for worst in marriage or according to Ohisi and Co, for better we stay, we worst we depart.
most things men do that are asscoiate with their life and upbring are bad but those that women do is because she was pushed to it. anywell lake drowns who it see his legs,
Re: Funny Nigerian Divorce cases by candylips(m): 7:38pm On Apr 24, 2010
so this has turned into yoruba vs Igbo undecided
Re: Funny Nigerian Divorce cases by preselect(m): 9:17pm On Apr 24, 2010
candylips:

so this has turned into yoruba vs Igbo undecided

and someone thinks that nigeria has a future
Re: Funny Nigerian Divorce cases by Nobody: 2:30pm On Apr 25, 2010
chiozor:

why do we even marry? why not get a girl pregnant and pay her for the child upkeep until the child is old enough to look out for the father? i think that is the way is going these days.
marriage is totally destroyed, no thanks to Ohisi and co reasoning.
why for better for worst in marriage or according to Ohisi and Co, for better we stay, we worst we depart.
most things men do that are asscoiate with their life and upbring are bad but those that women do is because she was pushed to it. anywell lake drowns who it see his legs,

Good question for the divorce protagonist.
Priest - ''would u take Mr Lagbaja as ur beloved husband for beta and for worse''
Ohsisi and co - ''for beta,YES for worse,THUNDER FAYA IN YANSH''

ruba_slipa:

Ohsisi o!, you spoke well. Rastamann +1. I remember when women in Yorubaland hardly got divorced. First it started happening in Lagos, then it spread to smaller towns. What has caused this? Have Yoruba men suddenly started behaving worse? Have Yorubas suddenly abolished dowry or bride price? Are Igbo men that much better husbands than Yoruba men (I've heard that they are a bit better). No, the real reason is increasing women's education, employment and organisation has opened their eyes, and they realise that sometimes it's better to be alone than have someone destroying your life, and making you unhappy every day. The more it happens, the more the stigma disappears. It was the stigma that was preventing desperate women from divorcing. It will also spread in Igboland. Not many women leave their husbands easily - they know very well that they will be poorer, and that the chances of remarriage are not too good in our society. Nobody wants to raise their children alone, and men don't like taking on other men's kids.

on average,

now,

No matter wat the problem is,Divorce is not an easy thing.U keep making it seem like a piece of cake in your comment.try and go through one to understand it beta.
The notion that Yorubas have a high rate of divorce is not only misplaced but Tribalistic.You keep looking at it from the Mens angle as if it is normal for women to misbehave and the Men should take it in their stride.Have u ever heard wat some men go through with their wives and still put up wit it?(i dont have to give u examples).
U also said people should not use the children as an excuse, i pray u dont go through a divorce when you have kids, u'll come and revisit ur comment.
Africa had less problems in marriage till civilization came, and it will still get worse!!!!! cry
Re: Funny Nigerian Divorce cases by Shinatu: 12:09pm On Apr 26, 2010
Ohisisi,

When did you ever hear a male child in Nigeria rebuked for a bad character just because it would impact negatively on his marriage in the future? Seldom I guess, but the female child is continually being reminded that she would not find a home or will not be able to stay in one with her bad character.

What does that tell you? Men are allowed to do anything they like, women are born to take it.

So the male child grows up and enter into a marriage agreement with that kind of reasoning and you expect him to understand that the woman wants to be treated like a human being, that Jesus says do unto others as you would want them do unto you?

Let mothers(and fathers) wake up and do things differently, both sexes should be taught tolerance and consideration for others, it may be able to save the next generation from the disaster of divorce.
Re: Funny Nigerian Divorce cases by Nobody: 7:38pm On Apr 26, 2010
in Islam though both are nurtured rightly and no shit from no male child
Re: Funny Nigerian Divorce cases by isalegan2: 2:44am On Apr 27, 2010
I don't find it funny that people going through some of the most trying times in their lives have to be mocked on here. To the people posting the names of the divorce petiioners, and those who find others' misery a source of chuckles, I suppose when your marriage is ruined and you're making tough choices about your children's future you will find it funny when some nitwit posts your business all over the internet. shame!

And I'm not aggrieved because this has ever happened to me. Just a little human decency, for God's sake. A little empathy. Put yourself in these people's shoes.
Re: Funny Nigerian Divorce cases by candylips(m): 4:32pm On Apr 27, 2010
hey remove that pic angry angry
Re: Funny Nigerian Divorce cases by stede(m): 10:37pm On Apr 27, 2010
this is a serious drama
Re: Funny Nigerian Divorce cases by crown22: 6:45pm On Apr 28, 2010
HomeRSSTranslate

Wednesday, 28 April 2010
Last Update: 05:32:08 PM Nigerian Time NEWS UPDATESNEWS BUSINESS POLITICSENTERTAINMENT
CITY CRIMETanker driver divorces two wives same day
By Agency Reporter, Published: Wednesday, 28 Apr 2010

View All (0) Comment(s)

A tanker driver, Wasiu Olapade, on Tuesday had his marriage to his two wives, Mujidat, a fashion designer and Abiola, a hairdresser, dissolved by an Ibadan Grade ‘C’ Customary Court.

Olapade, who filed for the divorce, told the court that his wives of 12 and eight years respectively were always on each other‘s neck and that both were night crawlers, the News Agency of Nigeria reports.

He also told the court that they never took care of their children.

But Mujidat and Abiola, did not agree to be divorced and denied all the allegations levelled against them by Olapade.

Mujidat, the senior wife, told the court that she believed that what happened was the devil‘s handiwork.

She said that she did not mind if her husband married a third wife, as she had willingly accepted a mate.

Abiola told the court that their husband wanted to get rid of them, as he had a new wife; and that whenever they requested to talk or spend time with him, he would bring the new wife along.

She also said that she did not want to leave him because of their two children, Zainab, 7, and Yinka, 3.

The President of the court, Mr. Olayinka Owoade, asked Olapade if he was ready to take his wives back, but he vehemently refused.

Owoade, thereafter, dissolved the marriages and awarded custody of Mujidat‘s children, Bisola, 11; Mariam, 8, and Quadri, 7, to her and also ordered that Abiola’s children be given to her.

Owoade ordered Olapade to pay the wives N12,000 each for house rent; N3,000 for transportation; and N6,000 monthly for the upkeep of their children.

Comments :

Print Article
Send to a friend
Post Comment
Share on Facebook

blogsMost HitsADVERTISEMENT
Custom(search).My Punchmynews.com Feedback NEWS

Constitution review: Reps ,

Jonathan inaugurates two new ,

Bayelsa commissioner still ,

Ex-militants ask Jonathan to ,

Nigeria needs political will ,
POLITICS

Gani: The activist and his ,

Nigeria’s survival depends on ,

Imoke warns against election ,

AC, Omisore disagree over ,

Why we removed politicians’ ,
SPORTS

Akanni demands new style from ,

Brazilians reserve judgment ,

Pique backs Barca to go ,

S’Africa banks on Mphela, ,

England has the best camp ,
BUSINESS

Tourists may leave real ,

BP profits double on oil ,

Markets flat as earnings ,

AIG stock grossly overvalued ,
Site Map Terms Of Service Disclaimer Copyright 2006 The Punch Advanced Search Help Advertise With Us Contact Us Powered By Atlas Systems
Re: Funny Nigerian Divorce cases by dechap(m): 5:21pm On Apr 29, 2010
I think we should tell our self the truth, the increasing rate of divorce is because a lot of people just go into marriage n forget one of the greatest virtue in marriage which is tolerance, period. There is nothing like a perfect marriage.
Re: Funny Nigerian Divorce cases by AloyEmeka5: 11:17pm On Apr 29, 2010
Wednesday, 28 April 2010

[size=14pt]Tanker driver divorces two wives same day [/size]
By Agency Reporter, Published: Wednesday, 28 Apr 2010

A tanker driver, Wasiu Olapade, on Tuesday had his marriage to his two wives, Mujidat, a fashion designer and Abiola, a hairdresser, dissolved by an Ibadan Grade ‘C’ Customary Court.

Olapade, who filed for the divorce, told the court that his wives of 12 and eight years respectively were always on each other‘s neck and that both were night crawlers, the News Agency of Nigeria reports.

He also told the court that they never took care of their children.

But Mujidat and Abiola, did not agree to be divorced and denied all the allegations levelled against them by Olapade.

Mujidat, the senior wife, told the court that she believed that what happened was the devil‘s handiwork.

She said that she did not mind if her husband married a third wife, as she had willingly accepted a mate.

Abiola told the court that their husband wanted to get rid of them, as he had a new wife; and that whenever they requested to talk or spend time with him, he would bring the new wife along.

She also said that she did not want to leave him because of their two children, Zainab, 7, and Yinka, 3.

The President of the court, Mr. Olayinka Owoade, asked Olapade if he was ready to take his wives back, but he vehemently refused.

Owoade, thereafter, dissolved the marriages and awarded custody of Mujidat‘s children, Bisola, 11; Mariam, 8, and Quadri, 7, to her and also ordered that Abiola’s children be given to her.

Owoade ordered Olapade to pay the wives N12,000 each for house rent; N3,000 for transportation; and N6,000 monthly for the upkeep of their children.

Hi Crown22, I reposted your article in a readable format.

The judge ordered the bugger to pay only N36,000 to his two ex wives[alimony and child support included]. That is N18,000 per month to each wife and her kids. embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Funny Nigerian Divorce cases by 0hsisi: 11:43pm On Apr 29, 2010
uplawal:

in Islam though both are nurtured rightly and no poo from no male child

Yeah!
They are nurtured as almajiris and then they graduate into mutallab grin

Look at the articles so far
na so so sakirat,mudirat,risikat
are they ifa priestesses?
everything is not Muslim V Christian and if you insist,your own camp stinks to high heavens
Re: Funny Nigerian Divorce cases by seyibrown(f): 3:04pm On Apr 30, 2010
I recollect my grandmother(of blessed memory) talking about women who divorced their husbands when I was in my early teens( She was in her 60s at the time). She would say ' , j'awe ko oko re' meaning ' , divorced her husband'. Initiating divorce proceedings somtimes brought the men back to their senses where family intervention had failed. It's not a new thing! Ekiti women have been doing it for quite an age! Marriage is not a do or die affair! These women were not even educated but they knew what options they had.

While some women will leave their husbands because they want to be with someone else, there are those who leave a marriage because they can no longer endure continual physical, sexual, mental and emotional abuse.

The days when a woman stayed in a marriage regardless of degrading and inhuman treatment meted out by their husbands are fading away!

I would not encourage or put pressure on my friend, sister or daughter to remain in a marriage that puts her physical, mental and emotional well-being at risk! No way! Orisa ti o ba gbeni , ! I would also on the other hand encourage them to leave a marriage on the basis of problems that can be solved.
Re: Funny Nigerian Divorce cases by AloyEmeka5: 6:35pm On Apr 30, 2010
seyibrown:

I recollect my grandmother(of blessed memory) talking about women who divorced their husbands when I was in my early teens( She was in her 60s at the time). She would say ' ,   j'awe ko oko re'  meaning ' ,  divorced her husband'. Initiating divorce proceedings somtimes brought the men back to their senses where family intervention had failed. It's not a new thing! Ekiti women have been doing it for quite an age! Marriage is not a do or die affair! These women were not even educated but they knew what options they had.

While some women will leave their husbands because they want to be with someone else, there are those who leave a marriage because they can no longer endure continual physical, sexual, mental and emotional abuse.

The days when a woman stayed in a marriage regardless of degrading and inhuman treatment meted out by their husbands are fading away!

I would not encourage or put pressure on my friend, sister or daughter to remain in a marriage that puts her physical, mental and emotional well-being at risk! No way! Orisa ti o ba gbeni , ! I would also on the other hand encourage them to leave a marriage on the basis of problems that can be solved.

Every divorce is not as a result of the man's fault. Sometimes these women left because they found another man who screws them better than their present husband or they found another man who has more money. Divorce is not a female-male war because the fault can come from any party. The problem is if we continue to demystify marriage like this, it will soon be cajoled and turned into a boyfriend-girlfriend institution like they did in the west.

Matrimony should have dignity and people should think twice, pray hard and seek Gods face before they enter into it. It shouldn't be something you enter and leave at will.
The next thing you will see happening in Nigeria now is men turning their women into baby mamas since marriage is valueless and too much stress. Is that what you really want from men?. 25% of the current generation are being raised by single mothers in Nigeria and you know what that means for the society at large. More criminals on the street and all that.

Our generation is turning away from God and the annoying thing is that pentecostal churches are making these divorces sound 'uptite' and stylish. Destruction for this generation is on the way. Enter the zion train while you have time.
Re: Funny Nigerian Divorce cases by AloyEmeka5: 6:40pm On Apr 30, 2010
0hsisi:

Yeah!
They are nurtured as almajiris and then they graduate into mutallab grin

Look at the articles so far
na so so sakirat,mudirat,risikat
are they ifa priestesses?
everything is not Muslim  V Christian  and if you insist,your own camp stinks to high heavens

Actually, muslims divorce less and even though they marry multiple women, they are beginning to look like they have more respect for marriage than christians who can divorce for anything. half of these divorces in Nigeria are related to the pastors prophecy and all that. The abundance of pastors and different kinds of churches in the south west is another contributor to the high divorce rate because most of them seek answers to everything spiritually and half of these pastors are charlatans anyway.

1 Like

Re: Funny Nigerian Divorce cases by 0hsisi: 9:35pm On Apr 30, 2010
Aloy+Emeka:

Actually, muslims divorce less and even though they marry multiple women, they are beginning to look like they have more respect for marriage than christians who can divorce for anything. half of these divorces in Nigeria are related to the pastors prophecy and all that. The abundance of pastors and different kinds of churches in the south west is another contributor to the high divorce rate because most of them seek answers to everything spiritually and half of these pastors are charlatans anyway.

look at the names in the articles posted I say
are they not sakirat and hudirats?
Re: Funny Nigerian Divorce cases by AloyEmeka5: 2:53pm On May 08, 2010
There no non Sikirats and Hoodirats posted initially overtime. I still maintain that Islamic marriages last longer than Christian marriages.

Read this link too:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-99483.0.html

1 Like

Re: Funny Nigerian Divorce cases by JohnKester: 1:04pm On Feb 03, 2011
I know this is an old thread but I just could not help but drop my thoughts here regarding the appropriateness or inappropriateness of divorce. Consider the following:

Marriage is supposed to be so full of harmony, joy, happiness and peace that through it, the home is made a sanctuary where love reign supreme. This can only happen where the man is married to 'his own wife' and not another man's wife or the woman is married to 'her own husband' and not another woman's husband. This means that the love existing between the couple is unconditional and has its roots in the spiritual qualities of the couples rather than based on physical and material considerations only. Here there will be harmony, love, peace, selflessness, mutual respect, consideration, and so forth. Children brought up in such homes will grow up to be very decent human beings through whom the society will be blessed! That is what marriage is supposed to be.

Any marriage or home where the above conditions are not met should be terminated promptly so that the couple would still be able to respect and tolerate each other in future. The children will be less harmed with the separation than the marriage that is forced to continue to exist even when there is no love, harmony, mutual respect, consideration and peace. Such a home is no longer is sanctuary but a battle ground. Each can imagine what kind of children develop in battle fields. Children can never be served and raised properly in an atmosphere where hatred dwell, where love has fled, where disharmony is the normal way of life. Such children will grow up with very warped understanding of marriage and relationship and the home as well. The deep wounds that are inflicted on the souls of these young ones stay with them all their lives. They go through life not trusting anyone, always suspicious of the motives of others, cannot give or receive love because the innocence in them regarding love had been destroyed in their home by the examples set by their parents.

So you advocates of togetherness at all costs, beware for you may be promoting and supporting evil which in reality you encourage for couples who can no longer love and respect each other should not live together in marriage for they will thereby be living together in sin!

Peace!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What The Meaning Of Eko Oni Baje Ooo / Do I Leave Or Remain In This? / Husband Disappears As Wife Gives Birth To Twins In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.