Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,177 members, 7,825,673 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 08:41 PM

Elizade: Unveiling The Man Behind Toyota Cars In Nigeria - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Elizade: Unveiling The Man Behind Toyota Cars In Nigeria (33384 Views)

Honda And Toyota Cars: Which Is More Reliable? / Why Are Toyota Cars Still So Expensive Abroad? / Chief Ade-Ojo Of Elizade Spotted Behind The Wheels Of A Tiger Avon Race-Car (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Elizade: Unveiling The Man Behind Toyota Cars In Nigeria by AutoReportNG: 10:14pm On Feb 02, 2018
Elizade Motors is not strange to many Nigerians as the name is the parent company of Toyota cars in Nigeria, but there is a man that runs and control this multi-million dollar business empire. The success story of Nigerian Dollar multi-millionaire Michael Ade-Ojo, the founder and CEO of the Elizade Group of companies should be a case study for anyone who wants to go into the automotive business in Nigeria.

In the beginning

Chief Michael was born in Nigeria on June 14, 1938, to two modest parents. At a very young age, he became a street vendor and started selling charcoal, food, & firewood to help make ends meet.

He was born in a time when there was little to no financial aid for the less privileged, and parents believed a lot lesser in education, yet he still successfully made it through high school, and later got a degree in Business Administration from the university.

After his graduation, he joined the workforce at CFAO motors; a French distribution company. This same company had paid the tuition for his last two years in the university.

In 1966, while still working as a salesman for CFAO motors, he successfully sold 20 trucks to the Electricity Corporation of Nigeria, but to his dismay, his manager took credit for the sale, which led to a protest by Michael, followed with him losing his job by the end of the year.

After his ousting at CFAO motors, he moved on and got a job at British Petroleum (BP). Within three months of his employment, he increased the sales of his local division by 25%. But just as he was unfortunate with his previous employment, his new boss took credit for the outstanding growth, and this left him aggrieved and lost in thoughts. (No be only Naija dey do fraud, oyinbo people sef na real wayo)

The Breakthrough

As the popular adage says, when life gives you a lime, make a lemonade out of it. Chief Micheal has every course to stay put in his BP job and be contented, but he decided to take a risky but eventful decision. While in Lagos, Nigeria, during his annual British Petroleum (BP) holiday, he decided to take a daring step to approach the RT Brisco Group; an importer and distributor of trucking and automobile equipment. He made them an offer to sell their equipment for a commission on every successful sale.

After careful consideration, the RT Brisco Group decided to give him a trial. In just four months after he sealed the deal with Brisco, he sold about 40 cars. The commissions earned from the total sales were overwhelmingly higher than his yearly salary at BP. This motivated him to quit his job, and pursue his dreams.

In 1971, he started the company, Elizade Independent Agencies (EIA), with his wife, Elizabeth Wuraola Ojo. The name Elizade, was derived from both his wife’s name, Elizabeth, and his name, Ade. His company focused on the distribution of automobiles in Nigeria, especially Japanese cars.

He acquired the license to import Toyota Cars, with the name, Toyota Nigeria Limited, and single-handedly, made the car brand, the most sought-after automobile brand in Nigeria. He later went on to acquire 100% of RT Briscoe in Nigeria, and subsequently acquired more shares, to make his total holdings in Toyota Nigeria Limited, sum up to 74%.

The brand Elizade Motors Group

Today, his conglomerate consists of Toyota Nigeria Limited, RT Briscoe Nigeria, Elizade Auto Land, Classic Motors Limited, Crow Motors Nigeria Limited, Elizade University, Okin Travels Limited, and a host of other investments. He’s also on the board of directors of several Nigeria banks and other companies such as Ecobank, First City Monument Bank, and SMT Nigeria Limited (the official distributors of Mack trucks, Volvo trucks, & Volvo Construction Equipments).

Moral

Never be too comfortable in your present position, that you can making millions from the job never meant you can't make more when you innovate.

Credits:
Toyota Nigeria, StartUpDaily

Source:
http://www.autoreportng.com/2018/02/elizade-unveiling-man-behind-toyota.html

Lalasticlala
Seun
Mynd44
Marpol
Fynestboi

44 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Elizade: Unveiling The Man Behind Toyota Cars In Nigeria by AutoReportNG: 10:15pm On Feb 02, 2018
Never say never when it comes to business

See more here

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Elizade: Unveiling The Man Behind Toyota Cars In Nigeria by OneCorner: 10:19pm On Feb 02, 2018
Not as successful as innoson or coscharis cool
Even God is good motor is better cool

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Elizade: Unveiling The Man Behind Toyota Cars In Nigeria by Pappyto: 10:22pm On Feb 02, 2018
Success is all I see.

6 Likes

Re: Elizade: Unveiling The Man Behind Toyota Cars In Nigeria by AutoReportNG: 10:32pm On Feb 02, 2018
OneCorner:

Don't start what you can't finish oo... How many people drive Innoson? Do the mathematics of people that drive Toyota in Nigeria and lets have a debate. Do you say GIG Motors? Like seriously? I give up

154 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Elizade: Unveiling The Man Behind Toyota Cars In Nigeria by OneCorner: 10:40pm On Feb 02, 2018
AutoReportNG:

Don't start what you can't finish oo... How many people drive Innoson? Do the mathematics of people that drive Toyota in Nigeria and lets have a debate. Do you say GIG Motors? Like seriously? I give up
this man cannot talk were innoson is talking. Man that gtb want to try nonsense with, within two days, gtb came begging. How many people from other tribe can pull that feat?
Amarabae imohtep koman lecture diz man please

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Elizade: Unveiling The Man Behind Toyota Cars In Nigeria by newyorks(m): 10:43pm On Feb 02, 2018
AutoReportNG:

i dey ur back bro. the guy is high bt he cant be most high.

60 Likes 1 Share

Re: Elizade: Unveiling The Man Behind Toyota Cars In Nigeria by AutoReportNG: 10:48pm On Feb 02, 2018
OneCorner:

this man cannot talk were innoson is talking. Man that gtb want to try nonsense with, within two days, gtb came begging. How many people from other tribe can pull that feat?

Hmmm... Its OK, Please don't let us go tribalistic abeg... Pls

72 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Elizade: Unveiling The Man Behind Toyota Cars In Nigeria by OneCorner: 10:58pm On Feb 02, 2018
Ade-ojo is not a Yoruba name.
it's an isoko name. One of my uncle, an isoko man bears that name sef. Ask ishilove she has an inlaw from isoko bearing ade-ojo too

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Elizade: Unveiling The Man Behind Toyota Cars In Nigeria by anibirelawal(m): 11:11pm On Feb 02, 2018
SUCCESS IS A JOURNEY....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Elizade: Unveiling The Man Behind Toyota Cars In Nigeria by anibirelawal(m): 11:13pm On Feb 02, 2018
OneCorner:

PLEASE STOP DOING YOURSELF!

67 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Elizade: Unveiling The Man Behind Toyota Cars In Nigeria by Ishilove: 11:13pm On Feb 02, 2018
OneCorner:
it's an isoko name. One of my uncle, an isoko man bears that name sef. Ask ishilove she has an inlaw from isoko bearing ade-ojo too
Lol. Fikayo, not Ade ojo

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Elizade: Unveiling The Man Behind Toyota Cars In Nigeria by IamGoke(m): 11:15pm On Feb 02, 2018
OneCorner:

Who asked you all this Nawa ooh...

The last time I checked, that name is Yorubas'

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: Elizade: Unveiling The Man Behind Toyota Cars In Nigeria by OneCorner: 3:05am On Feb 03, 2018
Ishilove:

Lol. Fikayo, not Ade ojo
I don dey find u since.
I break one Yoruba boy face wey dey argue with me say fikayo na Yoruba name.
I tell am say I sabi one lady wey all her inlaw dey bear fikayo. As he dey kontine dey argue, na in I use blow destroy in face.
Police dey find me now, I no fit sleep house.

Abeg gimme ur address make we follow go station. Abeg!

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Elizade: Unveiling The Man Behind Toyota Cars In Nigeria by sulakishop(m): 4:04am On Feb 03, 2018
grin
Re: Elizade: Unveiling The Man Behind Toyota Cars In Nigeria by Okoyeebos: 7:47am On Feb 03, 2018
OneCorner:

If you like, call Shuku Obuko Eponmalu to come and lecture your ancestors.

You loud-mouthed paupers threatened to cripple GTB because the EFCC arrested your kinsman who is a thief and forger. Yet, just last week, GTB was the best stock in January.

See I'm not kidding. Anyone you unfortunate fellows support is bound to suffer misfortune. That's how you ruined GEJ, Agbaje, FFK, Kemi Olunloyo, Nnamdi Kanu and you're about ruining Atiku too.

Ridiculous wawa pigs with zero knowledge of the economy.

77 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Elizade: Unveiling The Man Behind Toyota Cars In Nigeria by PSTEMMA1960(m): 7:50am On Feb 03, 2018
OneCorner:
hater will always have one nagative thing to say..

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Elizade: Unveiling The Man Behind Toyota Cars In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:50am On Feb 03, 2018
Chief made his money selling cars to govt at inflated prices. He is part of d corrupt pple in nigeria. My Dad used to work for him in dc1980s grin

9 Likes

Re: Elizade: Unveiling The Man Behind Toyota Cars In Nigeria by Ayofaks(f): 7:50am On Feb 03, 2018
OneCorner:

Do you really really know ELIZADE? You can get his Biography and read up on him.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Elizade: Unveiling The Man Behind Toyota Cars In Nigeria by Anambra1stSon(m): 7:51am On Feb 03, 2018
AutoReportNG:

Hmmm... Its OK, Please don't let us go tribalistic abeg... Pls
Globe motors also major importer of Toyota vehicles

3 Likes

Re: Elizade: Unveiling The Man Behind Toyota Cars In Nigeria by Throwback: 7:53am On Feb 03, 2018
And the company rakes in a lot from after sales support of Toyota vehicles.
Re: Elizade: Unveiling The Man Behind Toyota Cars In Nigeria by 12345baba(m): 7:53am On Feb 03, 2018
Can we the youths stop being tribalistic like buhari? I have recovered from the tribalistic ailment .

2 Likes

Re: Elizade: Unveiling The Man Behind Toyota Cars In Nigeria by MrBigiman: 7:53am On Feb 03, 2018
OneCorner:

Igbo smoking is not for everyone. Ur Monica give u away as a mischief maker.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Elizade: Unveiling The Man Behind Toyota Cars In Nigeria by Okoyeebos: 7:55am On Feb 03, 2018
yeyerolling:
Chief made his money selling cars to govt at inflated prices. He is part of d corrupt pple in nigeria. My Dad used to work for him in dc1980s grin

As at when he was selling, how much competition did he have in the 80s?

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Elizade: Unveiling The Man Behind Toyota Cars In Nigeria by olafestid(m): 7:56am On Feb 03, 2018
You didn't mention where he was born and his state of origin, he is from ilara mokin in ifedore local government in ondo state, where he has a university called elizade University.
AutoReportNG:
Elizade Motors is not strange to many Nigerians as the name is the parent company of Toyota cars in Nigeria, but there is a man that runs and control this multi-million dollar business empire. The success story of Nigerian Dollar multi-millionaire Michael Ade-Ojo, the founder and CEO of the Elizade Group of companies should be a case study for anyone who wants to go into the automotive business in Nigeria.

In the beginning

Chief Michael was born in Nigeria on June 14, 1938, to two modest parents. At a very young age, he became a street vendor and started selling charcoal, food, & firewood to help make ends meet.

He was born in a time when there was little to no financial aid for the less privileged, and parents believed a lot lesser in education, yet he still successfully made it through high school, and later got a degree in Business Administration from the university.

After his graduation, he joined the workforce at CFAO motors; a French distribution company. This same company had paid the tuition for his last two years in the university.

In 1966, while still working as a salesman for CFAO motors, he successfully sold 20 trucks to the Electricity Corporation of Nigeria, but to his dismay, his manager took credit for the sale, which led to a protest by Michael, followed with him losing his job by the end of the year.

After his ousting at CFAO motors, he moved on and got a job at British Petroleum (BP). Within three months of his employment, he increased the sales of his local division by 25%. But just as he was unfortunate with his previous employment, his new boss took credit for the outstanding growth, and this left him aggrieved and lost in thoughts. (No be only Naija dey do fraud, oyinbo people sef na real wayo)

The Breakthrough

As the popular adage says, when life gives you a lime, make a lemonade out of it. Chief Micheal has every course to stay put in his BP job and be contented, but he decided to take a risky but eventful decision. While in Lagos, Nigeria, during his annual British Petroleum (BP) holiday, he decided to take a daring step to approach the RT Brisco Group; an importer and distributor of trucking and automobile equipment. He made them an offer to sell their equipment for a commission on every successful sale.

After careful consideration, the RT Brisco Group decided to give him a trial. In just four months after he sealed the deal with Brisco, he sold about 40 cars. The commissions earned from the total sales were overwhelmingly higher than his yearly salary at BP. This motivated him to quit his job, and pursue his dreams.

In 1971, he started the company, Elizade Independent Agencies (EIA), with his wife, Elizabeth Wuraola Ojo. The name Elizade, was derived from both his wife’s name, Elizabeth, and his name, Ade. His company focused on the distribution of automobiles in Nigeria, especially Japanese cars.

He acquired the license to import Toyota Cars, with the name, Toyota Nigeria Limited, and single-handedly, made the car brand, the most sought-after automobile brand in Nigeria. He later went on to acquire 100% of RT Briscoe in Nigeria, and subsequently acquired more shares, to make his total holdings in Toyota Nigeria Limited, sum up to 74%.

The brand Elizade Motors Group

Today, his conglomerate consists of Toyota Nigeria Limited, RT Briscoe Nigeria, Elizade Auto Land, Classic Motors Limited, Crow Motors Nigeria Limited, Elizade University, Okin Travels Limited, and a host of other investments. He’s also on the board of directors of several Nigeria banks and other companies such as Ecobank, First City Monument Bank, and SMT Nigeria Limited (the official distributors of Mack trucks, Volvo trucks, & Volvo Construction Equipments).

Moral

Never be too comfortable in your present position, that you can making millions from the job never meant you can't make more when you innovate.

Credits:
Toyota Nigeria, StartUpDaily

Source:

Lalasticlala
Seun
Mynd44
Marpol
Fynestboi

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Elizade: Unveiling The Man Behind Toyota Cars In Nigeria by Okoyeebos: 7:57am On Feb 03, 2018
OneCorner:

You talk as if it's an abomination for you to use your brain.

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Elizade: Unveiling The Man Behind Toyota Cars In Nigeria by Sojebrand(m): 7:58am On Feb 03, 2018
OneCorner:

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Elizade: Unveiling The Man Behind Toyota Cars In Nigeria by obembet(f): 7:58am On Feb 03, 2018
yeyerolling:
OneCorner:
OneCorner:

AutoReportNG:

OneCorner:

I hate poverty pass anything

This is how you can identify someone that is eating, sleeping moving poverty...

Na this set of people argue about wealth of messi and CR7, may God deliver you guys...

Pls locate any good church closest to you... Its well with you

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Elizade: Unveiling The Man Behind Toyota Cars In Nigeria by abouzaid: 8:00am On Feb 03, 2018
there's more than one importer of Toyota products into Nigeria. this article is deliberately misleading.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Would You Buy This Almost Brand New 1985 BMW 323i For N30m? (photos) / Customs Provides Code For Vehicle Owners To Verify Their Customs Papers / A Comprehensive List Of Vehicle Warning Lights And Their Meanings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.