Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,161 members, 7,829,148 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 08:26 PM

What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know (2090 Views)

Religion Is Not The Reason For Backwardness In Africa, Our Leaders Are / Freedom From Religion Is The Best Thing Ever / Hey Christians, How Much Can You Really Say To Defend Your Religion? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know by butterflyl1on: 9:21am On Feb 03, 2018
darkchild64:

okay fine,I have nothing against the way you choose your life,and it seems you have no interest addressing the question I asked,there is no problem with that ,but I have a problem with you trying so hard to engage me an argument, I don't think there is any other thing for the both of us to talk about,I would now focus on those interested in the topic

Not so fast grin

Before you can be the one to evaluate the religions of people you need to first show that you are a very credible judge. cheesy

This was why I asked you to list out these your so many other religions with many adherents. The very first one you dropped was wrong and shows you not to be a credible judge.

So I am willing to give you another chance to list out the so many other religions with many adherents so I can take you seriously grin

Sounds fair right?
Re: What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know by DeSepiero(m): 9:22am On Feb 03, 2018
butterflyl1on:

You miss the point. Let me ask WHO WAS GAUTAMA BUDDHA? A man? A spirit? A diety?

If you say he was a man, then add Ism to that. That means Mans ideology. Buddhism is built around the teachings of BUDDHA. figure the rest out yourself .

Judaism has its roots in spirituality and the divine
Hinduism is same but Buddhism stands out.

The Ism used as a suffix in each is just to show you that it's an ideology as well but the foundation of the ideology is where the difference is found

Just as Buddhism is built around the teachings of Buddha, so was:
Christianity built around the teachings of Jesus Christ;
Islam built around the teachings of Mohammed etc.

They all stem from "ideologies of men" that claimed that they were divinely inspired and I agree with them.

By the way, what foundation do you talk about?
Re: What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know by butterflyl1on: 9:23am On Feb 03, 2018
DeSepiero:

Buddha was man

The lexicographers that defined Buddhism in dictionaries also missed this point?
Wait! you're saying that the dictionary isn't correct in the first place?

If Buddha was a man that says it all. He was not divinity. He was not a spirit. He had no already provided divine script he worked with. He simply proferred his ideas which in some cases he tried and it worked for him.

Case closed.

I am sure somehow you can find how religion cannot be found in what I just wrote. grin
Re: What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know by butterflyl1on: 9:24am On Feb 03, 2018
DeSepiero:

Just as Buddhism is built around the teachings of Buddha, so was:
Christianity built around the teachings of Jesus Christ;
Islam built around the teachings of Mohammed etc.

They all stem from "ideologies of men" that claimed that they were divinely inspired and I agree with them.

By the way, what foundation do you talk about?

Sigh! You are still making my point for me. Did Buddha claim his ideologies were divinely inspired?
Re: What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know by DeSepiero(m): 9:34am On Feb 03, 2018
butterflyl1on:

Sigh! You are still making my point for me. Did Buddha claim his ideologies were divinely inspired?

I'm not making your point.

Why would you dismiss the definition of 'buddhism' and accept the definition of 'Ism' from the same English dictionary to prove a point?

If you feel that Buddhism is not a religion, simply tell us that it's your opinion. Just like Christians are often of the opinion that Christianity is not a religion but a lifestyle.
Re: What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know by Nobody: 9:35am On Feb 03, 2018
[quote author=Originakalokalo post=64740014]
Religion is a believe system that a God exists.

So, Man should be careful of what he believes.

How will I know if my belief system is the truth?

1. I will check the character of the MESSANGER. I will ask this question,

Does his character depict the Holy God?

2. I will check who the MESSANGER is.

Was his coming foretold?
Or he just tells me that he was sent.

If God truly sent him, He should foretell us before his coming.

" I am sending a messager to you oooo these are signs you should look out for.."

3. I will check what the MESSANGER preaches.

With open eyes and mind, one would easily see the right from wrong.

JESUS is the way the truth and the life.[/quote

So billions of Hindus, Buddhists and Muslims haven't found throughout truth and life because they don't believe in Jesus? The arrogance of we Christians is confounding. We have no right to claim God as ours only. God is not a Christian, to say that limits God's omnipresence. You think God do sent know the reason why we have billions of others not practicing Christianity? Just STFU if you have no meaningful words to say.
Re: What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know by Nobody: 9:36am On Feb 03, 2018
DeSepiero:

Why would you dismiss the definition of 'buddhism' and accept the definition of 'Ism' from the same English dictionary to prove a point?

If you feel that Buddhism is not a religion, simply tell us that it's your opinion. Just like Christians are often of the opinion that Christianity is not a religion but a lifestyle.

same fools will come out and claim atheism is a religion

2 Likes

Re: What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know by butterflyl1on: 9:40am On Feb 03, 2018
DeSepiero:

Re: What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know by Nobody: 9:42am On Feb 03, 2018
butterflyl1on:

Darky, Darky, Darky wink

Can you list out these "so many religions "in the world today with a large number of adherents?

Christianity has about 2.4 billion adhrents, Islam has 1.8 billion worshippers, Hindu has 1.5 billion followers, Buddhism has about 500 million adherents. We have approximately 100 million Shinto adherents and so many more religion and their followers, you choose your pick.
Re: What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know by DeSepiero(m): 9:44am On Feb 03, 2018
Proudgorgeousga:

...it's their way of spiting atheists; dishonest and delusional as always.

3 Likes

Re: What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know by butterflyl1on: 9:45am On Feb 03, 2018
Arondizuogu:

Christianity has about 2.4 billion adhrents, Islam has 1.8 billion worshippers, Hindu has 1.5 billion followers, Buddhism has about 500 million adherents. We have approximately 100 million Shinto adherents and so many more religion and their followers, you choose your pick.

I have already ruled out Buddhism from that list and Shinto is next.

The nature of Shinto as a faith should not be misunderstood Because ritual rather than belief is at the heart of Shinto, Japanese people don't usually think of Shinto specifically as a religion - it's simply an aspect of Japanese life.
Re: What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know by butterflyl1on: 9:53am On Feb 03, 2018
Proudgorgeousga:

Have you ever engaged in any intelligent noteworthy discussion personally with anyone on nairaland beyond your usual one liner Snide remarks and disappearing after you are done?

You really need to up your level of intelligent discussions already on nairaland. This is 2018 , let your unintelligent snide guerilla method of comments on nairaland die with 2017 already.
Re: What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know by Nobody: 10:23am On Feb 03, 2018
butterflyl1on:

Not so fast grin

Before you can be the one to evaluate the religions of people you need to first show that you are a very credible judge. cheesy

This was why I asked you to list out these your so many other religions with many adherents. The very first one you dropped was wrong and shows you not to be a credible judge.

So I am willing to give you another chance to list out the so many other religions with many adherents so I can take you seriously grin

Sounds fair right?

I will only answer questions that are logical and in line with the issue the topic addresses,go and create your own topic and I will comment on your question if I wish to

1 Like

Re: What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know by butterflyl1on: 10:30am On Feb 03, 2018
darkchild64:

I will only answer questions that are logical and in line with the issue the topic addresses,go and create your own topic and I will comment on your question if I wish to

You mentioned here from your OP and I quote

Now to religionists how would you know if the religion you are following was wrong,I'm sure it has come to your notice that over 90% of religious people (which includes you except you converted from your family's religion to the one you are following) do not choose their religion but simply follow the one their family and society introduces them too,and since their are so many religions in the world today with a large number of adherents it is safe to say that only one of them can be the right one(if at all there is a "right one", so with that being said,if every religious person dismisses the possibilty that s/he may be adhering to the wrong religion then of course you would agree with me that there would be no way for any one to discover the " right religion",so it only makes sense that a Christian, muslim,Hindu,Buddhist or whatever s/he might be recognizes that there is a possibility that s/he is not following the "right" religion,now my question becomes HOW CAN ONE KNOW THAT HIS/HER RELIGION IS NOT THE RIGHT RELIGION BUT A FAIRY TALE CREATED BY SOME OTHER PEOPLE

I am sure you can see your own words in bold from your OP. I now asked you to list out these religions you claim are many and have many adherents and you say my question is not logical?

Logic has gone to the dogs grin
Re: What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know by Nobody: 10:33am On Feb 03, 2018
Since butterfly1on is hellbent on arguing what is religion and what is not,and by so doing he is derailing the conversation and purpose of creating this topic,so because of that let me change the question to this

WHAT IF YOUR BELIEF IS WRONG,HOW WOULD YOU KNOW

Butterfly1on shebi u re now happy,oya pls everyone stop this conversation on whether Buddhism and christianity is a religion or not,am sure everyone believes that they are belief systems, so know the religionists among us address the question

Butterfly1on for once can u try to behave like a refined person,make your comments in line with the topic and if u don't wish to do so vamoose from this thread
Re: What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know by butterflyl1on: 10:42am On Feb 03, 2018
darkchild64:
Since butterfly1on is hellbent on arguing what is religion and what is not,and by so doing he is derailing the conversation and purpose of creating this topic,so because of that let me change the question to this

Butterfly1on shebi u re now happy,oya pls everyone stop this conversation on whether Buddhism and christianity is a religion or not,am sure everyone believes that they are belief systems, so know the religionists among us address the question

Butterfly1on for once can u try to behave like a refined person,make your comments in line with the topic and if u don't wish to do so vamoose from this thread

grin cheesy

Am I such a huge influence over you? cheesy

You could learn a thing or two from me kid.

Let me help you cut this your fruitless journey short.

THE ONLY WAY TO KNOW IF ANY "RELIGION" IS RIGHT OR WRONG IS BY EXPERIENCE. NOT THEORY AS YOU ARE DOING HERE.

A SIMPLE STUDY OF EXPERIENCES FROM THEM WOULD SHOW YOU WHICH HOLDS VALUE, PURPOSE, WELLBEING, MEANS WELL, TREATS WELL, SPREADS LOVE, IS GENEROUS AND GOOD, KIND, FAITHFUL, LOVING, ETC.

ANYTHING THAT DOES NOT BRING LIGHT TO DARKNESS OR SALT TO A TASTELESS AND WICKED WORLD IS FALSEHOOD.

ANYTHING THAT IS SELF CENTERED AND NOT PEOPLE FOCUSED IS FALSEHOOD.

ANYTHING THAT TOLERATES IMORALITY IS FALSEHOOD.

ANYTHING THAT IS NOT CONSISTENTLY TRUE IS FALSEHOOD.

you are in over your head kid. Let it rest grin
Re: What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know by Nobody: 10:55am On Feb 03, 2018
butterflyl1on:

grin cheesy

THE ONLY WAY TO KNOW IF ANY "RELIGION" IS RIGHT OR WRONG IS BY EXPERIENCE. NOT THEORY AS YOU ARE DOING HERE.

A SIMPLE STUDY OF EXPERIENCES FROM THEM WOULD SHOW YOU WHICH HOLDS VALUE, PURPOSE, WELLBEING, MEANS WELL, TREATS WELL, SPREADS LOVE, IS GENEROUS AND GOOD, KIND, FAITHFUL, LOVING, ETC.

ANYTHING THAT DOES NOT BRING LIGHT TO DARKNESS OR SALT TO A TASTELESS AND WICKED WORLD IS FALSEHOOD.

fine,now allow other people to also make their own point

1 Like

Re: What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know by Originakalokalo(m): 10:55am On Feb 03, 2018
God will open the eyes of the world to see.

I cannot worship any carved image

I cannot worship a cow.

The worship of God Almighty has nothing to do with images or symbols.

You just know that you serve him.

There is no physical representation of him anywhere.

If you use this Principle with the principles I have already mentioned,

You will know who to believe or serve.
Re: What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know by butterflyl1on: 11:08am On Feb 03, 2018
darkchild64:

fine,now allow other people to also make their own point

This is a forum not under my control. How can I possibly stop anyone from doing anything? cheesy
Re: What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know by DeSepiero(m): 11:08am On Feb 03, 2018
darkchild64:

It's difficult to know. It's like telling the size of a building while seated comfortably in one of it's rooms.
Re: What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know by Nobody: 11:13am On Feb 03, 2018
Originakalokalo:

God will open the eyes of the world to see.

I cannot worship any carved image

I cannot worship a cow.

The worship of God Almighty has nothing to do with images or symbols.

You just know that you serve him.

There is no physical representation of him anywhere.

If you use this Principle with the principles I have already mentioned,

You will know who to believe or serve.

okay noted,but I would wish you answer my question and not continue to defend your religion,no one is arguing if ur religion is right or wrong
Re: What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know by Nobody: 11:14am On Feb 03, 2018
butterflyl1on:

This is a forum not under my control. How can I possibly stop anyone from doing anything? cheesy

Alright we have gotten your point
Re: What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know by adepeter2027(m): 12:16pm On Feb 03, 2018
DeSepiero:

What is God?
If you don't mind, I can answer this question by the power of Holy spirit bestowed on me.

Answer: God is a cop-out term, entity, subject used by people to explain what they don't understand at that point in time.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know by tartar9(m): 1:47pm On Feb 03, 2018
butterflyl1on:

grin cheesy

You are merely making assumptions of what you think the true religion should entail.Morever,there are thousands of religions which posses these attributes you mention.
Taking it to the fundamental level,the basic test of truth-or more accurately,falsehood-is the self-consistency test;a test that xtianity,through its irrational trinity doctrine,fails.
For our admissible candidates for the true religion,xtianity does'nt even make the list.
Re: What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know by Rockyrascal(m): 3:05pm On Feb 03, 2018
DeSepiero:

What's special about a supreme being?
I qualify North Korea's Kim as a supreme being too?
the Christian God is believed to work in mysterious ways. that is a spiritual realm; the creator of man and nature to whom believers are obliged to obey his commandments.

While an autocratic leader as absolute political powers vested upon him i.e his subjects or citizens obey his decree and anyone found breaking the rules is served the neccessary Punishment.

The difference between Kim Jun and the Christian God is that one works in a supernatural realm and wouldn't force or punish anyone who go against his commandments including the north Korea leader. Kim Jun on the other hand is the leader of a sovereign state and his decrees can only be effective there.
Re: What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know by tintingz(m): 1:51am On Feb 04, 2018
butterflyl1on:

You miss the point. Let me ask WHO WAS GAUTAMA BUDDHA? A man? A spirit? A diety?

If you say he was a man, then add Ism to that. That means Mans ideology. Buddhism is built around the teachings of BUDDHA. figure the rest out yourself .

Judaism has its roots in spirituality and the divine
Hinduism is same but Buddhism stands out.

The Ism used as a suffix in each is just to show you that it's an ideology as well but the foundation of the ideology is where the difference is found
I've been following some of your argument and I notice you're one of those apologists who does not honestly accept they made some mistakes, err, you just keep arguing for no reason.

Darkchild64 agreed Buddhism isn't a religion (even though he was right saying it's a religion), I guess he just wanted that part not to divert the thread topic(red herring), he even said some Christians don't see Christianity as a religion which you also agreed but you keep on with the false statement that Buddhism isn't a religion. Your emboldened part makes it more false!

Buddhism also has its root In spirituality, to achieve the Buddhahood one has to go through some spiritual exercise like the Nirvana, meditation(Bhavana).

Kindly get your fact right.
Re: What If Your Religion Is Wrong,how Would You Know by tintingz(m): 2:07am On Feb 04, 2018
butterflyl1on:

If Buddha was a man that says it all. He was not divinity. He was not a spirit. He had no already provided divine script he worked with. He simply proferred his ideas which in some cases he tried and it worked for him.

Case closed.

I am sure somehow you can find how religion cannot be found in what I just wrote. grin
All religion were created by men, so at the emboldened part a religion is when it has a divine script? Lol you are joker.

Yoruba religion doesn't have a laid down scriptures they all work with, thier divination is based on oral tradition.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Atheist Are Needed Here To Explain This / Pls OLAADEGBU,JJyou, Davidylan And Others, Can I Ask You Random Questions Here? / Do You Want To Find Out How God Speaks To You ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.