Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,184 members, 7,822,005 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:49 AM

Senate To Debate On Ex-governor Marriage To Minor - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate To Debate On Ex-governor Marriage To Minor (1270 Views)

EFCC Closes In On Ex-gov Over 29 Dubai Assets / EFCC Closes In On Ex- Nigerian Defense Minister Obanikoro, Two Sons Over N4.8B / Buhari Receives Indicting Documents On Ex-ministers, Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senate To Debate On Ex-governor Marriage To Minor by omoeso(m): 10:54pm On Apr 18, 2010
NIGERIAN TRIBUNE

Senate to debate ex-gov's marriage to minor
Written by Jackson Udom
Sunday, April 18, 2010

THERE are strong indications that the Senate will on resumption from the Easter break debate the recent marriage of Senator Sanni Yerima to a 13-year-old girl from Egypt.

Speaking with Sunday Tribune on condition of anonymity, a source at the Senate disclosed that  "the upper legislative body will soon deliberate on the marriage recently contracted between Yerima, a former governor of Zamfara State and  serving Senator to an underage girl from Egypt.

"The development is very very wrong and lacks any sign of morality. It is a clear case of child abuse which we have been fighting against. It is illegal and should be condemned by well meaning and right thinking Nigerians," the highly influential Senator declared.

The lawmaker noted that "the law of the land frowns at this kind of marriage which is a clear case of child abuse. It is embarrassing to the Senate and indeed the National Assembly and that is why the issue would be tabled before the Senate and decision will be taken."

Condemning the marriage, the federal lawmaker stated that, "the development becomes more embarrassing considering the calibre of the Senator involved, who should know better  as a former state chief executive and a serving lawmaker."

Former governor of Zamfara State and a serving Senator, Alhaji Sani Yerima, few weeks ago got married to a 13-year-old girl from Egypt.

Sunday Tribune reliably gathered that the marriage ceremony between the senator and the  minor was not allowed to take place in Egypt because of an existing law which bars minors from getting married, hence, the ceremony was shifted to Nigeria.

In 2003, the National Assembly passed a law on child rights which supercedes the provisions under the Sharia legal code. The law clearly forbids marrying girls under the age of 18.
Re: Senate To Debate On Ex-governor Marriage To Minor by pheonixChi(f): 11:49pm On Apr 18, 2010
Really dont know what they are debating, has he broken a law in Nigeria? If so then he must be punished. In general it goes against many ppl's morailty 13 is too young and in my view that is child abuse
Re: Senate To Debate On Ex-governor Marriage To Minor by DisGuy: 3:47pm On Apr 26, 2010
Theyve not resumed?

or they are busy looking for their own 13 year olds?

the women in the senate and house of rep are shameless if tehy dont bring this up or walk out when he is talking
Re: Senate To Debate On Ex-governor Marriage To Minor by DisGuy: 5:07pm On Apr 26, 2010
The Senate regrettably, stretched this further when the chairman, Senate Committee on Information and Media, Ayogu Eze advised that "any Nigerian who feels aggrieved about it knows what to do" with a clincher that ", there is not much the Senate can do about it. It is purely his personal affair." On the contrary, describing a naked dance in the market square by a honourable member of the senate as a "private affair" is being mischievously elastic.

lilly livered self-servicer

Where is madam Dora and her rebranding brigade, I heard there's a new documentary coming out from the BBC labelling nigerians as paedophiles
Re: Senate To Debate On Ex-governor Marriage To Minor by pheonixChi(f): 6:04pm On Apr 27, 2010
Dis Guy:

Theyve not resumed?

or they are busy looking for their own 13 year olds?

the women in the senate and house of rep are shameless if tehy dont bring this up or walk out when he is talking

Bang on!
Women should take a massive stand its so disgusting.
Re: Senate To Debate On Ex-governor Marriage To Minor by nethacker(m): 6:26pm On Apr 27, 2010
pheonixChi:

Bang on!
Women should take a massive stand its so disgusting.
^^ trust me disgusting is an understatement. I have been looking for the ryt ajective to qualify dat shameless goat but i ran out of hyperbole. He doesnt knw d magnitude of his grievous act because he doesnt knw how it feels to carry a pregnancy for 9months angry angry angry
Re: Senate To Debate On Ex-governor Marriage To Minor by pheonixChi(f): 6:33pm On Apr 27, 2010
nethacker:

^^ trust me disgusting is an understatement. I have been looking for the ryt ajective to qualify dat shameless goat but i ran out of hyperbole. He doesnt knw d magnitude of his grievous act because he doesnt knw how it feels to carry a pregnancy for 9months angry angry angry

It doesn't bear thinking about, although its not the first time, it's been happening for years and i'd like to think 2010 it would not be accepted or it would be hidden in the deepest of village ct off from the world. it is truly diabolical that some one in high position would dare.
Re: Senate To Debate On Ex-governor Marriage To Minor by Hatitude: 12:16pm On Apr 28, 2010
What ever happened to the law enforcement agents? Why is the criminal investigation department not taking this on? Where are the media houses?

There are load of female journalists, high profile executives, paliarmentarians, civil society activists. What role are they playing?

PLEASE SHOUT THIS PAEDOPHILE DOWN AND GET HIM OUT OF THE SUPPOSED 'HALLOWED CHAMBER' IF EVER ONE EXISTS.
Re: Senate To Debate On Ex-governor Marriage To Minor by Blazay(m): 7:14pm On Apr 28, 2010
What a waste of time.Why now?
No laws were broken according to Sharia laws.
Anyway, Yerima has already de-flowered the child bride.
She might even be pregnant with triplets.
No return, no exchanges,
ASIS. All sales final. grin
If we are meant to take this seriously, Nigeria needs to split into Christian and Islamic territories.
Re: Senate To Debate On Ex-governor Marriage To Minor by bawomolo(m): 7:17pm On Apr 28, 2010
Senate Committee on Information and Media, Ayogu Eze advised that "any Nigerian who feels aggrieved about it knows what to do" with a clincher that ", there is not much the Senate can do about it. It is purely his personal affair.

I bet slave labor and the abuse of house girls is a personal affair too.
Re: Senate To Debate On Ex-governor Marriage To Minor by haronky7: 12:34am On Apr 29, 2010
So is stealing from the coffers personal affairs

They should all be sacked and the house placed under lock and key, period!

I said it before, I wont be surprised if nothing happens
Re: Senate To Debate On Ex-governor Marriage To Minor by DisGuy: 11:30am On Apr 29, 2010
haronky7:

So is stealing from the coffers personal affairs

They should all be sacked and the house placed under lock and key, period!

I said it before, I wont be surprised if nothing happens

the wife he divorced to marry this one was 15yo, she's had a baby now - NOTHING HAPPENED THEN GUESS WHAT WILL HAPPEN NOW basically we hear a lot of grammar hot air and what not even jonathan goodluck should be ashamed if he doesnt bring this up in public!!! all this sharia law/muslim excuse doesnt wash, the marriage was in abuja- it is very obvious nigeria law condone paedophilia!
Re: Senate To Debate On Ex-governor Marriage To Minor by bawomolo(m): 3:48pm On Apr 29, 2010
Dis Guy:

the wife he divorced to marry this one was 15yo, she's had a baby now - NOTHING HAPPENED THEN GUESS WHAT WILL HAPPEN NOW basically we hear a lot of grammar hot air and what not even jonathan goodluck should be ashamed if he doesnt bring this up in public!!! all this sharia law/muslim excuse doesnt wash, the marriage was in abuja- it is very obvious nigeria law condone paedophilia!

gbam
Re: Senate To Debate On Ex-governor Marriage To Minor by MeAboki(m): 11:49pm On Apr 29, 2010
I think Yarima should take refuge at the Christian nation of the Vatican, where it would be safe for him to have legitimate sex with a girl even younger than the one he was alleged to have married.

Accordingly, the age of sexual consent at the Vatican is STILL only 12 years. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_consent_in_Europe ).shocked

(1) (Reply)

Abiola Pave Way For Present Democracy says oshiomhole / 500 Militants From Edo State Seek Inclusion In Amnesty Programme / Libya: Nigeria, South Africa In Cold War Over Gaddafi - Zuma Humiliated By GEJ

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.