Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,573 members, 7,823,495 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:53 AM

Abiola Pave Way For Present Democracy says oshiomhole - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abiola Pave Way For Present Democracy says oshiomhole (1270 Views)

Oba Of Benin Death: Our Hearts Are Heavy, Says Oshiomhole / It’s Rape Of Democracy, Says Sylva As INEC Stops Poll / Rivers Governorship Election: “A Sham, Mockery Of Democracy,” Says INEC Staff (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abiola Pave Way For Present Democracy says oshiomhole by Nobody: 12:59pm On Jun 14, 2010
Edo State Governor, Comrade Adams Oshiomhole yesterday paid glowing tributes to  Moshood Abiola, the acclaimed winner of the June 12 , 1993  presidential election and other  Nigerians who died in the June 12  struggle, which he said paved the way for the current  democracy in the country. Also yesterday, the founder of Oodua Peoples’ Congress, Dr. Fredrick Fasehun called on  Governor Babatunde Fashola of Lagos State to use the June 12  anniversary to grant amnesty to Major Hamzat Al-Mustapha, the detained former Chief Security Officer to late General  Sani Abacha and others on trial in Lagos for the attempted murder of Alex Ibru. Oshiomhole, who spoke before departing for South Africa as part of the federal government’ s delegation to the 2010  World Cup, said “Chief Abiola and scores of other Nigerians paid the  ultimate price by laying down their lives for the enthronement of a true and enduring  democracy in the country. “The sacrifice they made is not in vain. Nigerians have a duty to ensure that this democracy  endures and should shun those things that could endanger the nation’s fledgling democracy,”  he said. Oshiomhole urged the electorate not to be intimidated on election days or “be bought over  by those who by their selfish ambitions have kept them in perpetual poverty.” He said Nigerians must use the power of the ballot to elect into office those they want or  remove and those that have failed to deliver on their electoral promises, adding “this, to me, is the true dividend of democracy - the power of the common man to elect or remove the  elected from office.” Oshiomhole also advised the electorate to ensure that the principle of “One Man, One Vote”  is strictly adhered to, “which would discourage election riggers and put ballot box snatchers  out of business.” He said the electorate should ensure that their votes count during elections “by following  the ballot to the collation centres to ensure that the correct figures are recorded. “When the votes of the people count, the supreme sacrifice paid by Abiola and other  Nigerians in their bid to ensure the validation of the June 12  election would not have been in vain,” he said. Also speaking in Lagos yesterday on the June 12  anniversary, Fasehun said: “I have always  said that if anybody deserves amnesty, it is Major Hamza Al-Mustapha and other officers of  the Nigerian armed forces detained with him since 1999. “The federal government should prevail on the Lagos State Government to enter a nolle  prosequi for these men or grant them state pardon.  “Major Al-Mustapha remains a very important factor in the unity equation of Nigeria. 11  whole years! Does Nigeria want them to die in prison in this trial that has mercilessly and  embarrassingly dragged on for11  years?” Fasehun also argued that the population of Lagos estimated to be 19  million has shown that  the state has “overgrown its compartment and advocated for the creation of at least one  more state out of Lagos State. “The National Assembly should carve Lagoon State out of Lagos State and order an  immediate increase of its federal allocation,” he said. Fasehun said Lagos State was created in 1967  when General Yakubu Gowon broke the three  existing regions into 12  states, adding that since then, all the other 11  states have given  birth to other states apart from Lagos State. He continued: “Even its age-mate, old Kano State that is now two states - Kano and Jigawa -  has started fresh agitations for another state.”
http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=175560
Re: Abiola Pave Way For Present Democracy says oshiomhole by CarlosVent(m): 1:26pm On Jun 14, 2010
abiola is d man i love
Re: Abiola Pave Way For Present Democracy says oshiomhole by BrOwnSuga3: 1:51pm On Jun 14, 2010
Adam is shit
Re: Abiola Pave Way For Present Democracy says oshiomhole by marvix(m): 2:12pm On Jun 14, 2010
, June 12 is overrated,
Re: Abiola Pave Way For Present Democracy says oshiomhole by rickie4us(m): 2:17pm On Jun 14, 2010
Adams should go and sit down. After his romance with IBB in the one man one vote scam, I only see him talking with both sides of his mouth. I don't trust him again.
Re: Abiola Pave Way For Present Democracy says oshiomhole by Nobody: 4:03pm On Jun 14, 2010
Oshi only Knows How to Talk! Like i Always Say 'Talk Is Cheap' grin grin grin
Re: Abiola Pave Way For Present Democracy says oshiomhole by ud4u: 4:40pm On Jun 14, 2010
” He said Nigerians must use the power of the ballot to elect into office those they want or remove and those that have failed to deliver on their electoral promises,

Only if the vote counts
Re: Abiola Pave Way For Present Democracy says oshiomhole by Nobody: 4:58pm On Jun 14, 2010
remove and those that have failed to deliver on their electoral promises

I believe that's his territory  cool cool grin
Re: Abiola Pave Way For Present Democracy says oshiomhole by EzeUche(m): 5:15pm On Jun 14, 2010
June 12th is overrated.

All the hoopla and the Yorubas did not do anything.
Re: Abiola Pave Way For Present Democracy says oshiomhole by kildran: 5:27pm On Jun 14, 2010
@Ezeuche
What did you just say? How on earth can you say the freest and fairest election in Nigeria's history is overrated? Do you know that we are still struggling to get it right, after 17 years. June12 has nothing to do with ethnicity, Nigerians came out en-mass and voted unanimously for M.K.O Abiola. Please I will advise that you guard your comments in future.
Re: Abiola Pave Way For Present Democracy says oshiomhole by babapupa: 5:30pm On Jun 14, 2010
[quotpe author=EzeUche link=topic=462713.msg6214258#msg6214258 date=1276532147]
June 12th is overrated.

[/quaote]

I wonder why they don't talk about or name any Igbo man or woman in the grand scheme of things inside and outside Nigeria.

You're marginal and inconsequential. Yoruba folks should really be the least of your worries.
Re: Abiola Pave Way For Present Democracy says oshiomhole by EzeUche(m): 5:48pm On Jun 14, 2010
babapupa:

[quotpe author=EzeUche link=topic=462713.msg6214258#msg6214258 date=1276532147]
June 12th is overrated.

[/quaote]

I wonder why they don't talk about or name any Igbo man or woman in the grand scheme of things inside and outside Nigeria.

You're marginal and inconsequential. Yoruba folks should really be the least of your worries.  

You are smokin some strong Igbo with that statement of yours. Igbos are known far and wide. Even under the moniker, the "Jews" of Africa.

What are you Yorubas known for? Let me see kleptomaniacs among other things. . .

June 12th is overrated.
Re: Abiola Pave Way For Present Democracy says oshiomhole by EzeUche(m): 5:49pm On Jun 14, 2010
kildran:

@Ezeuche
What did you just say? How on earth can you say the freest and fairest election in Nigeria's history is overrated? Do you know that we are still struggling to get it right, after 17 years. June12 has nothing to do with ethnicity, Nigerians came out en-mass and voted unanimously for M.K.O Abiola. Please I will advise that you guard your comments in future.

Yoruba people threatened secession but they still did nothing. Pathetic.

Only one tribe in Nigeria has the tenacity to challenge the status quo and that is the Igbo.
Re: Abiola Pave Way For Present Democracy says oshiomhole by kildran: 6:09pm On Jun 14, 2010
@Ezeuche
You are really funny, when did Yorubas threaten secession? You keep forgetting that in Yorubaland, no single person can speak for all of us. The problem was the military not the north. Yorubas by nature are not clannish, with whom will we go to war? The military? I am confused, Nigerians where cheated, not Yorubas.
Re: Abiola Pave Way For Present Democracy says oshiomhole by OnyeBabe1(f): 8:45pm On Jun 14, 2010
I still dont understand this Adams guy, he is not doing anything in Edo State, yet he opens his mouth to talk about democracy. It does not matter if he was voted for by the people but he has not been acting for the people so I doubt he has studied the work of Abiola or is motivated by it. smiley

Also can we stop the tribalism, please it is getting too old.
Re: Abiola Pave Way For Present Democracy says oshiomhole by osifred(m): 1:22am On Jun 15, 2010
rickie4us:

Adams should go and sit down. After his romance with IBB in the one man one vote scam, I only see him talking with both sides of his mouth. I don't trust him again.

i have never trusted adams seem he went into full time politic and my sentiment has not yet being proved wrong because he has nt done any credible thing for the pple of Edo state. i mean the way he was criticising OBJ those days as NLC chairman one would thing if given the opporturnity he could transform nigeria and Edo stateovernite
Re: Abiola Pave Way For Present Democracy says oshiomhole by styles2009: 2:40am On Jun 15, 2010
Is Oshiomole going crazy? tongue
Re: Abiola Pave Way For Present Democracy says oshiomhole by princekevo(m): 7:48am On Jun 15, 2010
Only God knows why Abiola never become the president of Nigeria. We should not forget here  that Abiola was a business man who ran bankrupt due to his campaign. Abiola's mind is not different from average business mind we got today, not a Nigerian business man. A business man who invested all he had for a position probably must have sold Nigeria jst to get his investments back.

No doubt that the masses voted for him, but i jst discovered average Nigerian voter does not even know what they want in terms of leadership. They are being carried away by sentiments, jst as we are glamouring for Jonathan 2011 within 3month in the office. Even when there is nothing outstanding he has done yet.
To me abiola was a president that was never meant to be and the earlier we understand that and move on the better for us. God knows why he never became Nigerian leader even when the masses thought he was the right person to lead them.
This is jst a hard truth we need to face.
Re: Abiola Pave Way For Present Democracy says oshiomhole by femicool: 11:24am On Jun 15, 2010
dat is very correct
Re: Abiola Pave Way For Present Democracy says oshiomhole by wazobiang: 4:04pm On Jun 15, 2010
all this talk about creation of new states na stupid ranting. na the politicians want more governorship positions for themselves. na until dem divide naija into 300 states dem go tire?
Re: Abiola Pave Way For Present Democracy says oshiomhole by Riot5000: 10:03am On Jun 16, 2010
ABIOLA WAS JUST ANOTHER PARASITE THAT NEVER LIVED TO SHOW HIS TRUE COLOR.
Nigeria, STOP celebrating mediocrity.

(1) (Reply)

12 Years After The Murder Of Chief Mko Abiola / Itsekiri Name The Town Forcados / US: Boko Haram A Franchise Hired By North & South, Alike – Nytimes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.