Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,121 members, 7,842,240 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 01:28 AM

What Is The Nationality? And What Is Your Nationality? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is The Nationality? And What Is Your Nationality? (2902 Views)

Senators Disagree On Nationality Of Killer Herdsmen / The Nationality Question-femi Fani Kayode / Femi Fani-kayode: The Nationality Question (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Nationality? And What Is Your Nationality? by udezue(m): 9:13pm On Apr 19, 2010
Chinyem,
Obu onye siri gi na obu failed raids?? Nna odimka imagi maka ndi Oke Igbo Aro grin
Re: What Is The Nationality? And What Is Your Nationality? by udezue(m): 9:15pm On Apr 19, 2010
Chinyem,
Ngwa dialect na so uso na onu mayne. I'm lovin it.
Re: What Is The Nationality? And What Is Your Nationality? by ChinenyeN(m): 9:51pm On Apr 19, 2010
Dialect?? angry O bu "okwu". cool And where did you see written Ngwa?
As for your Aro raids. . it seems to me that you're unfamiliar with the part of your history which concerns nde nnwe m. Long story short, onye ejila Ngwa egwu egwu. Aro learned that the hard way. grin cool
Re: What Is The Nationality? And What Is Your Nationality? by ezeagu(m): 10:11pm On Apr 19, 2010
EzeUche:

You dare insult the Ndi Aro?  angry

Igbo man, you are lucky that gone are the days when Aro raiders would raid Igbo villages for slaves!!!  cry

When we were the true power in Alaigbo!!!

See Aro sense. That is why nobody helped you in the war against the British. Aro had as much power as MEND in Niger Delta, at least they're not half caste and don't sell people like you Kanu's. . . . . . . as much. grin Which true power? grin

udezue:

Chinyem,
Obu onye siri gi na obu failed raids?? Nna odimka imagi maka ndi Oke Igbo Aro grin

Ta! What is Aro?  grin cool
Re: What Is The Nationality? And What Is Your Nationality? by 006(m): 10:12pm On Apr 19, 2010
What's the meaning of Igbo Nationality and Ngwa/Aro/etc Ethnicity?

Folks una don come again, na so Ikwerres take start oo, before you know it, dey say dey no be Igbo.

Myself, I no get any classification like Aro, Ngwa, Nsukka, does it mean I no get ethnicity?

I beg make una stop dis nonsense.
Re: What Is The Nationality? And What Is Your Nationality? by violent(m): 10:22pm On Apr 19, 2010
why are we having this discussion to begin with?

Peeps that want to discuss nationality, tribes, and other stuff should make their way to the "culture" section, its just down by the corner!
Re: What Is The Nationality? And What Is Your Nationality? by ezeagu(m): 10:36pm On Apr 19, 2010
006:

What's the meaning of Igbo Nationality and Ngwa/Aro/etc Ethnicity?

Folks una don come again, na so Ikwerres take start oo, before you know it, dey say dey no be Igbo.

Myself, I no get any classification like Aro, Ngwa, Nsukka, does it mean I no get ethnicity?

I beg make una stop dis nonsense.

What area are you from? Nationality is, according to dictionary.com:

noun
a large body of people, associated with a particular territory, that is sufficiently conscious of its unity to seek or to possess a government peculiarly its own: The president spoke to the nation about the new tax.

The Igbo did not indetify as 'Igbo' 200 years ago, some didn't know some 'sub-groups' existed even till this day, have you heard of Ikwo?

ethnicity

noun
ethnic traits, background, allegiance, or association.

Most communities in igboland identify with themselves first before the larger Igbo body, hence the Ezillo-Eza clashes, did you hear about that? There's actually an ongoing war in Igboland, but in a relatively unknown state.

If the majority of a group does not identify with another group, they should not be forced to, this is in regards to the Ikwerre.
Re: What Is The Nationality? And What Is Your Nationality? by ezeagu(m): 10:38pm On Apr 19, 2010
violent:

why are we having this discussion to begin with?

Peeps that want to discuss nationality, tribes, and other stuff should make their way to the "culture" section, its just down by the corner!

So the idea that people see themselves as separate nations in the so called 'Nigerian na[rra]tion' is not political?
Re: What Is The Nationality? And What Is Your Nationality? by sjeezy8: 10:40pm On Apr 19, 2010
Aguda/Amaro is my ethnicity Nigerian is my natonality, Yoruba is culture and language.
Re: What Is The Nationality? And What Is Your Nationality? by 006(m): 10:46pm On Apr 19, 2010
ezeagu:

What area are you from? Nationality is, according to dictionary.com:

noun
a large body of people, associated with a particular territory, that is sufficiently conscious of its unity to seek or to possess a government peculiarly its own: The president spoke to the nation about the new tax.

The Igbo did not indetify as 'Igbo' 200 years ago, some didn't know some 'sub-groups' existed even till this day, have you heard of Ikwo?

ethnicity

noun
ethnic traits, background, allegiance, or association.

Most communities in igboland identify with themselves first before the larger Igbo body, hence the Ezillo-Eza clashes, did you hear about that? There's actually an ongoing war in Igboland, but in a relatively unknown state.

If the majority of a group does not identify with another group, they should not be forced to, this is in regards to the Ikwerre.

I am from Anaocha local gov’t area of Anambra State. We’re neither Oka, Nri, nor Onicha. In fact, we have no classification.

You contradicted yourself. From your definition of Nationality, Aro, Ngwa, Ikwerre, are all Nationalities but not ethnicities.
Igbo Ethnicity is made up of several Igbo nations.
Re: What Is The Nationality? And What Is Your Nationality? by ChinenyeN(m): 10:59pm On Apr 19, 2010
006, I do believe you've got it mixed up.
Re: What Is The Nationality? And What Is Your Nationality? by 006(m): 11:02pm On Apr 19, 2010
^^

Read the definition again and tell me how I got it mixed up?

Haven't you heard of Igbo Ethnic Nation[b]s[/b] before?
Igbo is made up of several nations, we are not one as a nation as we barely knew others existed.
Re: What Is The Nationality? And What Is Your Nationality? by ezeagu(m): 11:08pm On Apr 19, 2010
sjeezy8:

Aguda/Amaro is my ethnicity Nigerian is my natonality, Yoruba is culture and language.

So you're "sufficiently conscious of your unity" with Igbo people and Igboland?

006:

I am from Anaocha local gov’t area of Anambra State. We’re neither Oka, Nri, nor Onicha. In fact, we have no classification.

You contradicted yourself. From your definition of Nationality, Aro, Ngwa, Ikwerre, are all Nationalities but not ethnicities.
Igbo Ethnicity is made up of several Igbo nations.

You are actually Nri Igbo. And yes you could say the Ngwa and Ikwerre are nations.
Re: What Is The Nationality? And What Is Your Nationality? by 006(m): 11:18pm On Apr 19, 2010
ezeagu:

You are actually Nri Igbo. And yes you could say the Ngwa and Ikwerre are nations.

I never knew that. So does it mean all of Anambra is Nri Igbo (except Onicha)? because such classifications are rare in Anambra. Enugu folks nicknamed as "Agbaenu". They never called us Nri.
Re: What Is The Nationality? And What Is Your Nationality? by ChinenyeN(m): 11:33pm On Apr 19, 2010
Oh ok. Well, yeah, you could very well say that the Ngwa and Ikwere are ethnic nations, but that's not what I'm hinting at. I'm talkin about "Igbo ethnicity". We aren't one ethnic group. We simply don't associate that way. Instead, what we have is the "Igbo identity". Not necessarily an ethnicity, and not necessarily a nation. Just a collection of people who understand that there is some commonality between us, but not enough commonality to make us synonymous with each other (a [very] loose ethnic affiliation, at best).
Re: What Is The Nationality? And What Is Your Nationality? by 006(m): 11:40pm On Apr 19, 2010
ChinenyeN:

Oh ok. Well, yeah, you could very well say that the Ngwa and Ikwere are ethnic nations, but that's not what I'm hinting at. I'm talkin about "Igbo ethnicity". We aren't one ethnic group. We simply don't associate that way. Instead, what we have is the "Igbo identity". Not necessarily an ethnicity, and not necessarily a nation. Just a collection of people who understand that there is some commonality between us, but not enough commonality to make us synonymous with each other (a [very] loose ethnic affiliation, at best).

Mr. Man, there's nothing like Igbo identity rather Igbo ethnicity. We are bound by the same language, Igbo,  but with several dialects.

From Oxford dictionary definition of a dialect:
A dialect is a form of a language that is spoken in one area with grammar, words, and pronunciation that may be different from other forms of the same language,.

Also, you should get yourself acquainted with what they call language continuum.
Every Igbo dialect is at least mutually intelligible with its neighbouring Igbo group but as the distance increases, language continuum sets in and it becomes harder for the far distant groups to understand them except when spoken slowly like I explained sometime before.
Re: What Is The Nationality? And What Is Your Nationality? by ezeagu(m): 11:42pm On Apr 19, 2010
006:

I never knew that. So does it mean all of Anambra is Nri Igbo (except Onicha)? because such classifications are rare in Anambra. Enugu folks nicknamed as "Agbaenu". They never called us Nri.

Onicha are on their own, they have a king and originate from different places, e.g Igala. How many Igbo people know what Nri's significance is?
Re: What Is The Nationality? And What Is Your Nationality? by 006(m): 11:45pm On Apr 19, 2010
^^^

As far as I know, majority of Igbos are decendants of Eri/Nri, so why call only me Nri Igbo?

Like I said before, we have no classification.
Re: What Is The Nationality? And What Is Your Nationality? by chiogo(f): 11:46pm On Apr 19, 2010
Nationality? Nigeria.
Re: What Is The Nationality? And What Is Your Nationality? by ezeagu(m): 11:49pm On Apr 19, 2010
006:

^^^

As far as I know, majority of Igbos are decendants of Eri/Nri, so why call only me Nri Igbo?

Like I said before, we have no classification.

I don't know about that. And they can't be called Nri Igbo because they do not practice the Nri Igbo culture, do you celebrate Ekpe or have oyaya war dancers in your town?
Re: What Is The Nationality? And What Is Your Nationality? by 006(m): 11:52pm On Apr 19, 2010
ezeagu:

I don't know about that. And they can't be called Nri Igbo because they do not practice the Nri Igbo culture, do you celebrate Ekpe or have oyaya war dancers in your town?

No, we don't. Ekpe is Efiks influence on neighbouring Igbos. I won't call it an Igbo culture, but a borrowed culture.

We don't have any war dance too, if I recall correctly. We basically mind our hamlets and settle disputes in village squares, though occasionally, angry families would carry machetes to threaten a feuding family. We had no known wars, just minor clashes.
Re: What Is The Nationality? And What Is Your Nationality? by SEFAGO(m): 11:55pm On Apr 19, 2010
Lol 006

Nigerian Occupied Territory.

Who is occupying who? The mass number of igbo in western states grin
Re: What Is The Nationality? And What Is Your Nationality? by SEFAGO(m): 11:57pm On Apr 19, 2010
Didnt expect this from you, actually.

What did you expect? To declare myself as Yoruba- thats like so silly. Or to say I wanna run away from naija. 100% proudly Nigerian lol.

Well except when I am in the airport and being harassed. undecided
Re: What Is The Nationality? And What Is Your Nationality? by ChinenyeN(m): 12:12am On Apr 20, 2010
006, regarding Ekpe, you are partially correct. There are two kinds of Ekpe, one is Igbo, and the other is Efik/Ibibio influenced (not necessarily borrowed). As for the Eri comment on majority of Igbo descending from Eri/Nri. . . don't kid yourself.
Re: What Is The Nationality? And What Is Your Nationality? by Nobody: 4:12am On Apr 20, 2010
SEFAGO:

What did you expect? To declare myself as Yoruba- thats like so silly. Or to say I wanna run away from naija. 100% proudly Nigerian lol.

Well except when I am in the airport and being harassed. undecided
Nah, I see you , Sjeezy and EzeUche as the agbero kind that would claim Jamaican grin
Re: What Is The Nationality? And What Is Your Nationality? by Pweety4me(f): 4:14am On Apr 20, 2010
^ ;d :-x
Re: What Is The Nationality? And What Is Your Nationality? by Nobody: 4:15am On Apr 20, 2010
Pweety4me:

^ ;d :-x
lol abi? no be so?
Re: What Is The Nationality? And What Is Your Nationality? by SEFAGO(m): 4:24am On Apr 20, 2010
FL Gators:

Nah, I see you , Sjeezy and EzeUche as the agbero kind that would claim Jamaican grin

Emi ke? Jamaican? Nigerias rep is not that bad yet. And at the worst, I would call myself black british or black brazilian before I even go all the way to Jamo
Re: What Is The Nationality? And What Is Your Nationality? by Nobody: 4:26am On Apr 20, 2010
SEFAGO:

Emi ke? Jamaican? Nigerias rep is not that bad yet. And at the worst, I would call myself black british or black brazilian before I even go all the way to Jamo
lol. atigbo
Re: What Is The Nationality? And What Is Your Nationality? by SEFAGO(m): 4:38am On Apr 20, 2010
I am sure sjeezy and ezeuche would call themselves such names though. As for me I am 100% African straight from the lagos bush
Re: What Is The Nationality? And What Is Your Nationality? by Nobody: 4:41am On Apr 20, 2010
SEFAGO:

I am sure sjeezy and ezeuche would call themselves such names though. As for me I am 100% African straight from the lagos bush
You're really from Lagos or did your family migrate? Omo ilu wo ni e ?

I dont doubt sjeezy's part. Dude is so somehow somehow, sneaky.
Re: What Is The Nationality? And What Is Your Nationality? by SEFAGO(m): 4:54am On Apr 20, 2010
FL Gators:

You're really from Lagos or did your family migrate? Omo ilu wo ni e ?

I dont doubt sjeezy's part. Dude is so somehow somehow, sneaky.

LOL, I am like from lagos. I have never been outside lagos- Infact I think everywhere outside lagos is a bush  grin

My dad must have left for lagos- I never asked him much of his personal history.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Mysterious Insurance.aes256 File (wikileaks) Download Here / Imo Community Ruled By A Muslim Monarch / Jega Live In The Senate. Speaks On Election Postponement And Card Reader.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.