Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,402 members, 7,861,137 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 02:34 AM

Nedum Onuoha Will Not Go The World Cup With Nigeria - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nedum Onuoha Will Not Go The World Cup With Nigeria (1015 Views)

List Of Individual Award Winners For 2015 U17 World Cup (with Photos) / Nedum Onuoha Left With Nasty Cut By Teammate (pics) / Neymar Ruled Out Of World Cup With Fractured Vertebra (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nedum Onuoha Will Not Go The World Cup With Nigeria by Ayemokhia: 6:14am On Apr 19, 2010
Nedum Onuoha has blown his chance to go to the World Cup with ­Nigeria – after previously declaring his aim to turn his back on England.

The Manchester City defender has captained England’s Under-21 side, and played 21 times for them.

However, Nigeria-born Onuoha is eligible to play for the Super Eagles ­because he has never won a senior England cap.

He said this month that he planned to switch allegiance because he feared being overlooked by Fabio Capello.

But the 23-year-old has now angered Nigeria coach Lars Lagerback by ­hesitating to accept an invitation to pre-South Africa training.

“We spoke to Onuoha this week,” said Nigeria ­spokesman Idah Peterside. “He said he had not made up his mind yet, but that he would certainly now not be available for the World Cup for Nigeria.

“He told me Lagerback had already called him.

“Lagerback has had to ­remove his name from the preliminary squad of 45,” Peterside added.
Re: Nedum Onuoha Will Not Go The World Cup With Nigeria by Jarus(m): 12:09pm On Apr 19, 2010
angry
What's wrong with that inconsistent guy? Who does he he think he is?
Re: Nedum Onuoha Will Not Go The World Cup With Nigeria by SleekReek(m): 4:41pm On May 01, 2010
He is acting very foolishly and will live to regret his decision. angry
Re: Nedum Onuoha Will Not Go The World Cup With Nigeria by 12large: 5:18pm On May 01, 2010
all these english-nigerians are very weird, you have players like abedi pele,george weah,ryan giggs, george best regretting that they did not go to a world cup, while a stupid average player like onuoha have mouth to say no, odiah is better than onuoha. in the future most likely when england have perfectly shun him, he should not come back and even he if comes back we should reject.
Re: Nedum Onuoha Will Not Go The World Cup With Nigeria by SleekReek(m): 7:25am On May 02, 2010
@12large You are very correct,he really thinks he will play for England,they will use him once and then dump him making him useless.The first World cup in Africa,what an opportunity he missed,they always only think about money(for now) ahead of career and development(for the future which will eventually bring money). angry
Re: Nedum Onuoha Will Not Go The World Cup With Nigeria by Kinezeala(m): 10:31pm On May 02, 2010
Wel am nt surprisd things in dis country are done badly,so i wont blame him
Re: Nedum Onuoha Will Not Go The World Cup With Nigeria by SleekReek(m): 9:43am On May 03, 2010
@Kinezeala , but your country is still your country,period!
Re: Nedum Onuoha Will Not Go The World Cup With Nigeria by Kgdavid(m): 11:35am On May 03, 2010
dont be surprised if the guy considers england to be his country. im very disappointed but i cant say i dont see his side of the story. unless he is just an opportunist, after captaining england albeit at youth level it would probably feel strange to play for nigeria. put urself in his position; to have the opportunity to play for england who have better prospects of international success than nigeria and he is surrounded by people advising him to stay and play for england not least his own coach. i think onuoha has a fairly good chance of making the england team if he can get out of the shadow of Micah Richards.
Re: Nedum Onuoha Will Not Go The World Cup With Nigeria by sley4life(m): 12:03pm On May 03, 2010
He should get lost
Re: Nedum Onuoha Will Not Go The World Cup With Nigeria by SleekReek(m): 3:01pm On May 03, 2010
@Kgdavid Nigeria is his country and the world cup is holding in Africa.I have a feeling that this world cup may see Nigeria breaking into the world scene in a big way,i believe he missed a great opportunity,but like you said i don't blame him, advice from people around him, but he is a big boy and should know whats best for him.

(1) (Reply)

101 Greatest Goals Of 2009/2010 / Mikel Wins Avb’s Heart / Nigerian Football – Nigerian Dies In Nepal After Cardiac Arrest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.