Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,878 members, 7,810,337 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:22 AM

How To Look For Another Job Without Your Boss Finding Out ( Step-by-step Method) - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Look For Another Job Without Your Boss Finding Out ( Step-by-step Method) (10803 Views)

Lawyers In The House Please Help. Can I Leave My New Job Without Issue / Is It Right To Thank Your Boss After Receiving Your Salary? / How I Lost My Dream Job Without Collecting 1 Month Salary - Meme Collection (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Look For Another Job Without Your Boss Finding Out ( Step-by-step Method) by agvictor(m): 5:21am On Feb 06, 2018
Are you gainfully employed but seems not to be satisfied with what the job offers. Most people ask if It is easy to find a job when you are currently on a job. The answer is a big YES.

However, looking for a job when you’re still employed can be a delicate balance. You want to put your all into applications and interviews, but it’s difficult to go job hunting without your current employer finding out. Job hunting requires a good deal of time; not only will you be writing cover letters and perfecting your resume, but you’ll also need to go to interviews and meet with potential employers.

I must state that is possible to stay on top of your work, satisfy the demands of your current job and at the same time avoid arousing suspicion in your boss while giving your job search your all.

Before we move on, think about what will happen if your current boss finds out about your plans to move away. Consider how he/she reacted or responded when an employee moved in the past. If it's a business that promotes growth and rewards loyalty there is possibility your boss might place higher reward for you to stay.

Putting a number of things into consideration is very vital depending on the terms of your contract. It's possible that your boss can fire you for looking for another job while still working with his/her organization. Some workers are at-will employees, that is to say they can be terminated for any reason except discrimination. Whether your employer actually would fire you, however, depends on the nature of the business itself. I must advice that you be cautious about your job search anyway.

Stated below are  five tips for keeping your job hunt as private as possible:

1. Do not job hunt at work.

The first step to avoid being caught is to avoid job hunting at the workplace. Being smart enough is never to browse job boards at your desk or write cover letters on your lunch break. If you receive a phone call informing you about an opening while at work, wisdom demands you ask the caller if you can talk at a different time. This format/ approach may be difficult, since you wouldn't want potential employers off or appear uninterested in the position.

However, they’ll probably understand but propose some alternate times to call them—that way you can ensure that the discussion actually happens, otherwise go to a more private area to take the call.

2. Be savvy about your online presence.

Based on experience, discussing your job search on social media is not good. Is advisable to update your social media profile (Facebook, LinkedIn) with your current employment information but don’t advertise your job search. ‌

Personal email is what preferable to make use of while job hunting rather than company's email. List this email on your resume too. The reason is simple, who knows how if your employer probably has access to your work email.

Avoid posting your resume on job boards and other websites. While you may want recruiters to contact you, there’s a risk that your employer or coworkers could see it. Even if your name is hidden, your boss is probably familiar enough with your role and work to figure it out. Instead, rely on LinkedIn or seek out headhunters yourself.

3. Never discuss your job hunting with coworkers.

Networking is very important part of job hunting, however, you should avoid discussing your search for new job with current coworkers, even if you trust them with everything. My reason is simple, you never can tell who or what might get back to your manager or boss.

You can freely discuss with former coworkers as well as other people in your industry—in fact, you should! These connections could be crucial to finding a new position.

4. Ask recruiters and potential employers to be discrete- Do not use your current boss phone number as referee.

I think this idea has explained itself. A lot of recruiters and employers understand that you don’t want your current employer to know you’re making plan for a new job, but if you’re concerned, you may want to mention it at the end of an interview letting know you want them to be discrete.

Remember you have your own part to play by avoiding putting down your current employer as a referee while submitting any of your job applications. If possible contact your former boss or former colleague who’s familiar with your work to stand in as referee anytime they are called upon.

5. Keep up/ Be at your best with your current work.

I have kept the most important as the last point. Keep up, work hard, be at your best and never give room for your job hunt get in the way of your current job. If you slack off your boss might notice your move, and this alone is likely to raise red flags, and justification for firing you.

Note: Potential employers want to hire someone who’s good and up and doing at his/ her current job—so keeping up and working hard makes you a more valuable candidate.

Conclusion

Scheduling job interviews can be tricky because majority of employers prefer conducting face-to-face meetings during working hours. Therefore, if is in your power use a vacation or personal day for the interview. Use the doctor's appointment excuse once to get it done (you know what i mean). Never forget that using it too often, will either arouse suspicion or make your boss think you’re seriously ill. The same goes for using sick days for interviews.

Avoid posting your resume on job boards and other websites all the time and also avoid discussing your search for new job with current coworkers. I must remind you again not to put down your current employer as a referee while submitting any of your job applications. This could lead to you loosing your job.

Source: https://www.agvictor.com/2018/02/05/looking-for-a-job-without-your-boss-finding-out-step-by-step-methods/

5 Likes

Re: How To Look For Another Job Without Your Boss Finding Out ( Step-by-step Method) by Mynd44: 7:12am On Feb 06, 2018
Until you go for an interview and discover that your boss is one of the interviewers

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Look For Another Job Without Your Boss Finding Out ( Step-by-step Method) by LagBlogger(m): 7:16am On Feb 06, 2018
Why not avoid all that stress by being your own boss. It worked for me not saying it would work for everyone

9 Likes

Re: How To Look For Another Job Without Your Boss Finding Out ( Step-by-step Method) by Nobody: 7:16am On Feb 06, 2018
Mynd44:
Until you go for an interview and discover that your boss is one of the interviewers

That is highly improbable unless your boss is one of the directors in the company you are applying to.

7 Likes

Re: How To Look For Another Job Without Your Boss Finding Out ( Step-by-step Method) by Esomchi44(m): 7:17am On Feb 06, 2018
cheesy
Re: How To Look For Another Job Without Your Boss Finding Out ( Step-by-step Method) by abrahambest(m): 7:17am On Feb 06, 2018
Informative

1 Like

Re: How To Look For Another Job Without Your Boss Finding Out ( Step-by-step Method) by hardon1(m): 7:23am On Feb 06, 2018
writing as though its an easy task. The challenge comes wen you are ask to come for test or interview up to abt three times. U go talk how may lie u won lie

7 Likes

Re: How To Look For Another Job Without Your Boss Finding Out ( Step-by-step Method) by boolet: 7:25am On Feb 06, 2018
You only search for what is available. There are no jobs in naija and even if there are, there is no searching for them...IMHO
Re: How To Look For Another Job Without Your Boss Finding Out ( Step-by-step Method) by sunbbo(m): 7:32am On Feb 06, 2018
Nice.

Apply For Dealdey Limited Fresh Job Recruitment (5 Positions)

DealDey Limited is the first E-commerce company in Nigeria and the fastest growing E-commerce company in Africa. DealDey Limited is a daily deals company, providing best discount deals on products and services across the federation. In line with attracting the best, brightest and most suitable talent to join the Information Technology(Development) Team, DealDey has commence its annual recruitment for graduate to join this department in building a world class Technology through Software Development. Dealdey Limited Fresh Job Recruitment (5 Positions) as follows;

1.) Graduate Customer Experience Representative

Click Here To View Details

2.) Finance Analyst 

3.) Head, Marketing & Growth

4.) UI /UX Developer 

5.) Business Intelligence Analyst

Application Closing Date: 28th February, 2018.

Source: http://www.ngjobseekers.com/2018/02/05/dealdey-limited-fresh-job-recruitment/
Re: How To Look For Another Job Without Your Boss Finding Out ( Step-by-step Method) by sirusX(m): 7:37am On Feb 06, 2018
Reminds me of the interview question....why are you thinking of leaving your current job??
Re: How To Look For Another Job Without Your Boss Finding Out ( Step-by-step Method) by Darey00(m): 7:37am On Feb 06, 2018
LagBlogger:
Why not avoid all that stress by being your own boss. It worked for me not saying it would work for everyone

So the capital needed to be your own boss will fall down from heaven abii??

4 Likes

Re: How To Look For Another Job Without Your Boss Finding Out ( Step-by-step Method) by Elthugnificent(m): 7:49am On Feb 06, 2018
LagBlogger:
You know it doesn't or won't work for everyone but yet you encourage it?

1 Like

Re: How To Look For Another Job Without Your Boss Finding Out ( Step-by-step Method) by Oye4u(m): 7:49am On Feb 06, 2018
It is well
Re: How To Look For Another Job Without Your Boss Finding Out ( Step-by-step Method) by free2ryhme: 7:58am On Feb 06, 2018
agvictor:
Are you gainfully employed but seems not to be satisfied with what the job offers. Most people ask if It is easy to find a job when you are currently on a job. The answer is a big YES.

However, looking for a job when you’re still employed can be a delicate balance. You want to put your all into applications and interviews, but it’s difficult to go job hunting without your current employer finding out. Job hunting requires a good deal of time; not only will you be writing cover letters and perfecting your resume, but you’ll also need to go to interviews and meet with potential employers.

I must state that is possible to stay on top of your work, satisfy the demands of your current job and at the same time avoid arousing suspicion in your boss while giving your job search your all.

Before we move on, think about what will happen if your current boss finds out about your plans to move away. Consider how he/she reacted or responded when an employee moved in the past. If it's a business that promotes growth and rewards loyalty there is possibility your boss might place higher reward for you to stay.

Putting a number of things into consideration is very vital depending on the terms of your contract. It's possible that your boss can fire you for looking for another job while still working with his/her organization. Some workers are at-will employees, that is to say they can be terminated for any reason except discrimination. Whether your employer actually would fire you, however, depends on the nature of the business itself. I must advice that you be cautious about your job search anyway.

Stated below are  five tips for keeping your job hunt as private as possible:

1. Do not job hunt at work.

The first step to avoid being caught is to avoid job hunting at the workplace. Being smart enough is never to browse job boards at your desk or write cover letters on your lunch break. If you receive a phone call informing you about an opening while at work, wisdom demands you ask the caller if you can talk at a different time. This format/ approach may be difficult, since you wouldn't want potential employers off or appear uninterested in the position.

However, they’ll probably understand but propose some alternate times to call them—that way you can ensure that the discussion actually happens, otherwise go to a more private area to take the call.

2. Be savvy about your online presence.

Based on experience, discussing your job search on social media is not good. Is advisable to update your social media profile (Facebook, LinkedIn) with your current employment information but don’t advertise your job search. ‌

Personal email is what preferable to make use of while job hunting rather than company's email. List this email on your resume too. The reason is simple, who knows how if your employer probably has access to your work email.

Avoid posting your resume on job boards and other websites. While you may want recruiters to contact you, there’s a risk that your employer or coworkers could see it. Even if your name is hidden, your boss is probably familiar enough with your role and work to figure it out. Instead, rely on LinkedIn or seek out headhunters yourself.

3. Never discuss your job hunting with coworkers.

Networking is very important part of job hunting, however, you should avoid discussing your search for new job with current coworkers, even if you trust them with everything. My reason is simple, you never can tell who or what might get back to your manager or boss.

You can freely discuss with former coworkers as well as other people in your industry—in fact, you should! These connections could be crucial to finding a new position.

4. Ask recruiters and potential employers to be discrete- Do not use your current boss phone number as referee.

I think this idea has explained itself. A lot of recruiters and employers understand that you don’t want your current employer to know you’re making plan for a new job, but if you’re concerned, you may want to mention it at the end of an interview letting know you want them to be discrete.

Remember you have your own part to play by avoiding putting down your current employer as a referee while submitting any of your job applications. If possible contact your former boss or former colleague who’s familiar with your work to stand in as referee anytime they are called upon.

5. Keep up/ Be at your best with your current work.

I have kept the most important as the last point. Keep up, work hard, be at your best and never give room for your job hunt get in the way of your current job. If you slack off your boss might notice your move, and this alone is likely to raise red flags, and justification for firing you.

Note: Potential employers want to hire someone who’s good and up and doing at his/ her current job—so keeping up and working hard makes you a more valuable candidate.

Conclusion

Scheduling job interviews can be tricky because majority of employers prefer conducting face-to-face meetings during working hours. Therefore, if is in your power use a vacation or personal day for the interview. Use the doctor's appointment excuse once to get it done (you know what i mean). Never forget that using it too often, will either arouse suspicion or make your boss think you’re seriously ill. The same goes for using sick days for interviews.

Avoid posting your resume on job boards and other websites all the time and also avoid discussing your search for new job with current coworkers. I must remind you again not to put down your current employer as a referee while submitting any of your job applications. This could lead to you loosing your job.

Source: https://www.agvictor.com/2018/02/05/looking-for-a-job-without-your-boss-finding-out-step-by-step-methods/
Re: How To Look For Another Job Without Your Boss Finding Out ( Step-by-step Method) by TR1212: 8:08am On Feb 06, 2018
efesodje:

That is highly improbable unless your boss is one of the directors in the company you are applying to.

False. It is very possible. One of our clients just asked my boss to come help him interview a BDM for his startup business. I've been invited as an external interviewer before, that I didn't meet any of my colleagues there doesn't mean it's not possible. Anything is possible.

2 Likes

Re: How To Look For Another Job Without Your Boss Finding Out ( Step-by-step Method) by Nobody: 8:11am On Feb 06, 2018
TR1212:

False. It is very possible. One of our clients just asked my boss to come help him interview a BDM for his startup business. I've been invited as an external interviewer before, that I didn't meet any of my colleagues there doesn't mean it's not possible. Anything is possible.

Okay. I still maintain my stance. I never said it's impossible, just that it's highly unlikely. Thanks
Re: How To Look For Another Job Without Your Boss Finding Out ( Step-by-step Method) by ProDNA: 9:00am On Feb 06, 2018
Then you go for the interview and find out your boss is the visiting interviewer. E don happen to me before.

I was like "Erm...Oga I came to give a colleague his license which he kept with me, I'm going back to work now Sir." Chai! grin grin

Anyway...

For reliable DNA tests please click on my username and check our signature for our contact numbers and office addresses.

3 Likes

Re: How To Look For Another Job Without Your Boss Finding Out ( Step-by-step Method) by Harbewilliams(m): 9:56am On Feb 06, 2018
We manage vehicles for people who don't have time to manager their vehicles but want to invest in the e-hailing business (taxify, uber, oga taxi ) years of experience in this business has shaped our ideas.

Call us today for more details on our services, your investment is our priority.

Contact us today
FLEETDRIVE LIMITED
07016682929 ( call or whatsapp )
fleetdrive2016@gmail.com
Re: How To Look For Another Job Without Your Boss Finding Out ( Step-by-step Method) by hometruth: 10:29am On Feb 06, 2018
ProDNA:
Then you go for the interview and find out your boss is the visiting interviewer. E don happen to me before.

I was like "Erm...Oga I came to give a colleague his license which he kept with me, I'm going back to work now Sir." Chai! grin grin

Anyway...

For reliable DNA tests please click on my username and check our signature for our contact numbers and office addresses.

Hahaha, hilarious
Re: How To Look For Another Job Without Your Boss Finding Out ( Step-by-step Method) by Nobody: 12:50pm On Feb 06, 2018
How do you hide and go for the new job interview? What excuse can you give them at your present work place?

Op over to you
Re: How To Look For Another Job Without Your Boss Finding Out ( Step-by-step Method) by danjndalye(m): 3:27pm On Feb 06, 2018
That's true tips
Re: How To Look For Another Job Without Your Boss Finding Out ( Step-by-step Method) by PascalJ(m): 2:29pm On Feb 07, 2018
Spygadgets19:
How do you hide and go for the new job interview? What excuse can you give them at your present work place?

Op over to you
@Spygadgets, exactly what was on my mind. Or do u have one of the lines one can use as an excuse?

(1) (Reply)

28 Oil Workers Trapped, 100 Rescued In Conoil Fire Accident In Bayelsa / How Do Entrepreneurs That Use Petrol Engines Cope? / 80% Of Nigerian Companies Lack Sufficient IT Skills – Report

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.