Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,527 members, 7,823,299 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:17 AM

Why should any Nigerian want Arabic on Nigerian currencies? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why should any Nigerian want Arabic on Nigerian currencies? (1473 Views)

Meaning Of The Arabic Word On Nigerian Army Logo / Nigerian Want Obasanjo To do paternity Test For Amosun / Nigerian Want All Oil Block License Revoke. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Why should any Nigerian want Arabic on Nigerian currencies? by rookie(m): 3:33pm On Mar 05, 2007
http://odili.net/news/source/2007/mar/4/312.html

I really don't see the point why any reasonable citizen will support that Arabic should be on any Nigerian currency.
Re: Why should any Nigerian want Arabic on Nigerian currencies? by BigB11(m): 5:12pm On Mar 05, 2007
@topic:

To understand why, you've got to be open minded and think broadly.

Nigeria is a nation that comprises of 2 major religion groups. One of these groups happens to belief in Arabic and I do not think it is a crime if they want Arabic on Nigerian currencies; after all, Nigeria is also their country.

In other to move forward effectively both groups must learn or know how to compromise and respect one another.

It is simple, Unity should be our best friend if we want to live as one and live in peace.
Re: Why should any Nigerian want Arabic on Nigerian currencies? by Afam(m): 6:09pm On Mar 05, 2007
Big B1:

@topic:

To understand why, you've got to be open minded and think broadly.

Nigeria is a nation that comprises of 2 major religion groups. One of these groups happens to belief in Arabic and I do not think it is a crime if they want Arabic on Nigerian currencies; after all, Nigeria is also their country.

In other to move forward effectively both groups must learn or know how to compromise and respect on another.

It is simple, Unity should be our best friend if we want to live as one and live in peace.

Arabic is not our language whether local or borrowed. I fail to understand what religion has to do with inscriptions on the naira notes.

As a matter of fact it is not proper for any nation to dabble into any religious affairs to avoid problems.

I agree that we must learn to live together, tolerate one another but to allow arabic inscriptions on our national currency is neither beneficial nor necessary.
Re: Why should any Nigerian want Arabic on Nigerian currencies? by BigB11(m): 6:35pm On Mar 05, 2007
It is not a bad idea to have couple of words in Arabic on Nigerian currencies. It wouldn't hurt anybody or anything. It is embracing respect and compromising that make life fun and enjoyable to all.

We are all brothers and sisters; we should all develop that same mentality.
Believe me, at the end of the day, it will be beneficial to all of us.

(for instance, United States is now changing few things to accommodate Spanish people)

It is live and let's live; not live and let's die.
Re: Why should any Nigerian want Arabic on Nigerian currencies? by Afam(m): 6:38pm On Mar 05, 2007
Exactly, Spanish people is not the same as Spanish religion (if there is anything like that) and it has nothing to do with their currency.

In our own case, do we have arabs in Nigeria or is the arabic language strictly based on the language of the Holy Quran?

Religion and State should not be mixed for the interest of all.
Re: Why should any Nigerian want Arabic on Nigerian currencies? by twinstaiye(m): 6:42pm On Mar 05, 2007
I really don't see the point why any reasonable citizen will NOT support that Arabic should not be on any Nigerian currency.
http://twinstaiye..com/2007/03/new-naira-notes-and-arabic-inscription.html
Re: Why should any Nigerian want Arabic on Nigerian currencies? by debosky(m): 6:45pm On Mar 05, 2007
I believe there is some miscoception here: the 'arabic' written on the Naira notes were not actually 'arabic language', it was simply the use of arabic letters to write in hausa because at the tme most northerners had islamic education and could only read arabic letters, much in the same way yoruba, igbo, efik and co are written using english type alphabets. the reasoning now is that hausa has been firmly entrenched as a language that can be written with english type alphabet, hence removing the need for arabic lettering to be used on the Naira.
Re: Why should any Nigerian want Arabic on Nigerian currencies? by BigB11(m): 6:48pm On Mar 05, 2007
AFAM:

Could please give me the percentage of Muslim and Christian in Nigeria?
Re: Why should any Nigerian want Arabic on Nigerian currencies? by Mamajama(m): 6:55pm On Mar 05, 2007
it is atrocious for anyone to want Arabic on Nigerian currency. this is the kind of act that promote terrorist

and segregation in Nigeria. How will the Muslim population feel if Hebrew or some Christianity was inscribe

on Nigerian currency? ARABIC is not Nigerian national language. this is religion and you must separate

religion and politics at all level. this is why we have people like IBB and Buhari trying to turn Nigeria to a

Muslim nation. how can we unit Nigeria if we promote this act?
Re: Why should any Nigerian want Arabic on Nigerian currencies? by Afam(m): 6:57pm On Mar 05, 2007
@BigB1,

I do not know the percentage. Some say 60 - 40 others claim 50 -50, but for me it does not matter.

Let me reiterate, the federal government should not get involved in religious matters for the interest of peace.

If the arabic inscriptions were put there because the majority of the North were used to Islamic education I think it makes perfect sense to remove them now that the Hausa language can effectively represent the meaning of the naira denomination just as Igbo or Yoruba language even though the 3 major ethnic groups are just 3 out of so many ethnic groups in Nigeria.

Or, can you state why you think we need arabic inscription on our naira note in this age and time?
Re: Why should any Nigerian want Arabic on Nigerian currencies? by BigB11(m): 7:08pm On Mar 05, 2007
Unity and respect for one another.

I truly think it will help our nation in many ways.

Even PASO (Mexican currency) is being used in some parts of Florida.

Live and let's live; not live and let's die.

Couple of Arabic words will keep these people quiet and it will never hurt anything at the end of the day.

AFAM: could you please give us 2 sensible reasons why we shouldn't have Arabic on Nigerian currencies?
Re: Why should any Nigerian want Arabic on Nigerian currencies? by Nobody: 7:31pm On Mar 05, 2007
In other to settle this quarrel, i vote we introduce Hebrew and Aramaic inscriptions on our Naira from henceforth!
Re: Why should any Nigerian want Arabic on Nigerian currencies? by dayokanu(m): 10:28pm On Mar 05, 2007
David
Not only that also a few words of Latin the official language of the Vatican
Why should Arabic a language not recognised as an official language be on our national currency?
Re: Why should any Nigerian want Arabic on Nigerian currencies? by McKren(m): 10:43pm On Mar 05, 2007
Another clear example of lack of direction, instead of worrying about the purchasing power of Naira it is whether a religous inscription should be on it.

Those who suggest that Aramaic, or Hebrew or Latin should be on it if Arabic must be on it are not wrong afterall some people in southeast claim they have links with the jews while some in south west say their decendants are from south america thus hebrew and latin should be inscribed on it to pacify such people too.

What does this lead to, confusion which only exacerbates the ethnic and religous tensions that time and time again threatens the very existence of this country. I am even more disappointed that a statement like this came from a very young Sultan who doubles as a General in the Nigerian Army. His experience will rather suggest he understands the security implications of his comments and thus the need to play down on such a comment.
If a statement like this is coming from him then I am sorry the dream of having a secular Nigeria is no where near sight.
Re: Why should any Nigerian want Arabic on Nigerian currencies? by BigB11(m): 10:54pm On Mar 05, 2007
OK McKren, it is now confirmed that you do have balls; infact you have 3. lol

Excellent respond!
Re: Why should any Nigerian want Arabic on Nigerian currencies? by BigB11(m): 10:58pm On Mar 05, 2007
Posted by McKren:
Another clear example of lack of direction, instead of worrying about the purchasing power of Naira it is whether a religous inscription should be on it.

Definitely, a responsible comment.

Our main priority should be the value of Naira, not what is written on it.
Re: Why should any Nigerian want Arabic on Nigerian currencies? by mazaje(m): 11:58pm On Mar 05, 2007
well said McKren
Re: Why should any Nigerian want Arabic on Nigerian currencies? by Bankole01(m): 12:03am On Mar 06, 2007
I see this simply as another trait of the Islamic intolerance. Why don't we put some Latin inscription to satisfy the Catholics.
Nigeria is a secular country and we should not have to put any religious symbols on the currency or any other property of State.
Re: Why should any Nigerian want Arabic on Nigerian currencies? by enigmatic: 4:20am On Mar 06, 2007
everybody is entitled to his or her own opinion just like u have the right to challenge their opinions too
Re: Why should any Nigerian want Arabic on Nigerian currencies? by acidrop(f): 4:24am On Mar 06, 2007
u guys must be kidding, am starting 2 realize, hw much western civilization has impacted nigeria ooo, chei embarassed
Re: Why should any Nigerian want Arabic on Nigerian currencies? by Afam(m): 11:26am On Mar 06, 2007
Big B1:

AFAM: could you please give us 2 sensible reasons why we shouldn't have Arabic on Nigerian currencies?

1. Arabic is not our official language neither is it even a local/native one.

2. Arabic is based on religious stand and Nigeria being a multi religious nation need not promote any thing perculiar to one religion or even dabble into any religious issue for that matter.

Hope the two reasons are ok with you.
Re: Why should any Nigerian want Arabic on Nigerian currencies? by donnymikky(m): 12:05pm On Mar 06, 2007
1. Arabic is not our official language neither is it even a local/native one.

2. Arabic is based on religious stand and Nigeria being a multi religious nation need not promote any thing perculiar to one religion or even dabble into any religious issue for that matter.

Hope the two reasons are ok with you.

these points are very ok with a right thinking Nigerian
Re: Why should any Nigerian want Arabic on Nigerian currencies? by BigB11(m): 3:55pm On Mar 06, 2007
@AFAM

You came back too late, McKren already got KUDOS for this one.

Our main concern should be implementing an effective strategy to restore the value of Naira; not fighting over what should be written on it.

If Naira has no value, who really cares about what is written on it?

It seems to me that many are still sleeping and facing the same direction; absolutely not a pleasant state of mind.

We need to wake up and restructure our priority in Nigeria.

By the way, Mr AFAM, your two reasons are solid and very reasonable.
Re: Why should any Nigerian want Arabic on Nigerian currencies? by BigB11(m): 4:13pm On Mar 06, 2007
Furthermore, the pictures on the currencies indicate that Nigeria as a nation comprises of many ethnicity groups and that should be good enough.

I think it is fair and save to say "Let's focus on the value of the CURRENCIES"
Re: Why should any Nigerian want Arabic on Nigerian currencies? by LePhilippe(m): 6:36pm On Mar 06, 2007
If these new currency was withdrawn and then arabic writings put unto it, Nigeroa would be plunged into a full on religous war!!!
Re: Why should any Nigerian want Arabic on Nigerian currencies? by finemocha(f): 9:31pm On Mar 06, 2007
all i have to say is that having arabic on the currency is just one step for those people to try adn turn nigeria into an islamic nation, then we will have america bombing our asses too. this is complete bull and i donot support it i mean wht hte hell is wrong with these people anyway, it will shut them up or create peace. for goodness sake two major religions live there, i dont see them trying to draw the holy cross and put it on the notes to calm christians down, becauase guess what christians are not running every where and killing people for no reason at all. this is going ot come back and bite our asses in the end. it is a very bad omen, i can even feel it. and as of the pesos being used in florida that is completely different, the mexiacans are not screaming at the american governmetn to pu tht eholy cross on teh freaking dollar bill are they, and im sure u know they are 98% catholics. angry
Re: Why should any Nigerian want Arabic on Nigerian currencies? by acidrop(f): 5:39am On Mar 07, 2007
slamic nation and nigeria are two different countries, islamic nation is slamic nation, they can have their arabic in their cash, nigeria will have nigeria stuff in their cash, chikina
Re: Why should any Nigerian want Arabic on Nigerian currencies? by rookie(m): 2:48pm On Mar 07, 2007

- True, since, we would not longer have any non-nigerian language on our currency, we can now worry more about the value of Naira grin
Re: Why should any Nigerian want Arabic on Nigerian currencies? by Seun(m): 2:52pm On Mar 07, 2007

(1)

Which Government Official Performed The Worst Under The Obasanjo Administration? / Could This Be The End Of The Road For Ibori ? / Pdp Governors Get Automatic Tickets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.